PDA

View Full Version : in need of some hair advice~

Kayto
September 21st, 2014, 04:25 PM
I just need someone to please help me try and figure out what my hair wants. My hair is pretty unpredictable, and from what I can tell it's pretty healthy. I have to S&D often, hopefully that's normal.
Whenever I wash my hair, it always dries so soft and shiny and I fall in love with it. then the next day, it feels crunchy, dry, and miserable. shudder:
I tried mixing aloe gel with my conditioner last time I washed and it felt amazing afterwards, but again, the feeling only lasted a day. I don't like washing often because I know it's not good for your hair, but I don't like it being soft and nice one day and then dry/crunchy feeling the next. I use coconut oil, I don't wash often, I only use widetooth combs, I have a silk pillowcase, etc. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

edit: I do not use heat tools either!

also I am thinking that within this next week I am going to dye my hair my natural color because I have 4 months worth of roots showing. I want to do this in hopes of not having to dye it ever again afterwards. Does this sound like a good idea?

I would really appreciate any help, thank you!

gthlvrmx
September 21st, 2014, 04:31 PM
Have you tried baby oil? Coconut oil helps retain protein in your hair and too much protein in your hair can cause that hay or crunchy feeling. I personally don't think dying your hair would help unless its henna. I always saw people with lots of damage after a few months of dying their hair back in high school.

jacqueline101
September 21st, 2014, 04:34 PM
If it's not protein you could try misting hair with water, use a leave in conditioner then add a light serum or oil over the top of your leave in.

Zesty
September 21st, 2014, 04:35 PM
Well you mention that you have roots, which mean your hair is dyed in some way. (Is it bleached?) Regardless, if your hair is damaged from chemical dyes or whatever else, it gets dry/rough pretty easily. Also you didn't mention how long ago you converted to your more hair-friendly routine; it sounds like it might be a fairly recent development, so I wonder if you're unrealistically expecting results already. If your hair is damaged from past habits (which is a very distinct possibility if it feels bad and you have a lot of splits) then you're going to have to grow and trim that damage out.

That said, I don't have much experience with hair dye, so hopefully someone else can give more detailed advice. But more information on your past hair practices, the kind of dye you've used, etc. would be very helpful in troubleshooting, I think.

Kayto
September 21st, 2014, 04:35 PM
I haven't tried baby oil..hm. I'll have to try that and see how it makes my hair feel. I suppose I better stop using mane n' tail for a while, too then.

I would like to try henna, but I heard you can't dye your hair with regular hair dye if you do? I don't know a whole lot about henna.

gthlvrmx
September 21st, 2014, 04:38 PM
I haven't tried baby oil..hm. I'll have to try that and see how it makes my hair feel. I suppose I better stop using mane n' tail for a while, too then.

I would like to try henna, but I heard you can't dye your hair with regular hair dye if you do? I don't know a whole lot about henna.
Which Mane n Tail are you using? I think one of them is LOADED with protein in it. If your hair doesn't like too much protein like my hair, it wont react nicely.
I only use the Mane n Tail original conditioner when my hair need protein but i use a small amount.
I don't know much about henna and hair dyes honestly but i think the problem with henna and certain chemical hair dyes is the metallic salts that some not so good henna brands may have. But i think it should be fine if you get BAQ henna, pure henna. I think so but im unsure. :P

Try oiling your hair with 2-4 drops of baby oil when it's damp. It will help keep the moisture in.

Kayto
September 21st, 2014, 04:43 PM
I bleached my hair a couple years ago, and I had a recent dye-accident but I went and got a haircut afterwards and it felt fine. My hair right now is a different shade than the color brown I used before so the darker roots bother me a bit. I have been pretty friendly to my hair for about a year and a half or so except for the recent accident.. I do expect it to be damaged from previous dying and heat usage, but I haven't used a whole lot of heat for about 2 years. I don't have splits that often and whenever I first wash it it's not dry at all.

The dye I used before are those really cheap 3 dollar boxes (smart of me, right? eugh.) but every time I ever used it I never saw damage, even within a couple months. I wish I could go back and never dye my hair at all, but I want to stop dying completely once my hair is all one color.

Kayto
September 21st, 2014, 04:47 PM
Which Mane n Tail are you using? I think one of them is LOADED with protein in it. If your hair doesn't like too much protein like my hair, it wont react nicely.
I only use the Mane n Tail original conditioner when my hair need protein but i use a small amount.
I don't know much about henna and hair dyes honestly but i think the problem with henna and certain chemical hair dyes is the metallic salts that some not so good henna brands may have. But i think it should be fine if you get BAQ henna, pure henna. I think so but im unsure. :P

Try oiling your hair with 2-4 drops of baby oil when it's damp. It will help keep the moisture in.

Just the normal, original shampoo & conditioner. I don't use it for every wash though. I should look more into henna and see if I should do it! :)
Thank you for telling me about the baby oil! Hopefully it helps!

lapushka
September 21st, 2014, 04:57 PM
Maybe try the LOC method for styling after your washing / conditioning routine. The link to it is in my signature! LOC is a way of locking in moisture in the hair, so it doesn't get dry and crunchy.

gthlvrmx
September 21st, 2014, 05:01 PM
Mane n Tail shampoo: Water/Aqua/Eau, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Cocamide MEA, Glycol Distearate, Propylene Glycol, Fragrance (Parfum), Hydrolyzed Collagen, Citric Acid, Methylchlorisothiazolinone/Methylisothiazolinone, Butylphenyl Methylpropional
Mane n Tail conditioner: Water/Aqua/Eau, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine Lactate, Cetyl Alcohol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Polysorbate 60, Steareth-20, Methylparaben, Sodium Chloride, PEG-150 Stearate, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Propylparaben, Anhydrous Lanolin USP, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Yellow #5 (CI 19140), Benzyl Benzoate, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Limonene, Linalool, Alpha-isomethyl Ionone

I bolded where the protein is at. I think that should be the protein, if not someone please correct me! :)
Have you been able to grow virgin hair out?

Kay_Robideau
September 21st, 2014, 05:01 PM
I would say to wash every other day permanently, because the washing every day with the fluoride could even be drying your hair out. My thought was that maybe you have a buildup of product of too thin/small amount/silk hair....I would suggest to use Aussie leave in conditioner (it is cheap and in a spray bottle) it is aloe and is in between the building protein leave ins ( like Tresemme) and the oily leave ins (like fructis or other oil leave ins). I would try that as it was even recommended by someone from Supercuts I went to a long time ago. The conditioner you are using ( Garnier Fructis volume for example) causes so much build up and morroccan my shine by herbal essences causes a lot of build up. I don't really know why. Use the sleeker the butter by herbal essences or buy some olive oil conditioning packs at sallys to use weekly also a good product is silk elements conditioner at sallys in a big green bottle.

meteor
September 21st, 2014, 05:04 PM
Coconut oil helps retain protein in your hair and too much protein in your hair can cause that hay or crunchy feeling.

Since hair is made of basically keratin and water (and a bit of fatty acids), holding on to your hair's natural keratin is the way to preserve your hair in great condition. Losing your hair's natural keratin is the very definition of damage (and it typically happens due to bleach, UV damage, relaxers/perms, wear & tear, etc).

The kinds of protein that can cause crunchy feeling is "foreign object": it's hydrolyzed protein that you add to your hair, in order for it to stick (adsorb) to your hair, penetrate hair, and temporarily patch-repair it. It can build up if you use too much, but it washes off easily.

Kay_Robideau
September 21st, 2014, 05:07 PM
Also...I would like to post pictures on here....I would say to grow your color out naturally for a year... THEN dye the bottom to match my a colorist (its only like 50$ !) I grew my dark dark hair out from being bleach blonde.....

Kay_Robideau
September 21st, 2014, 05:09 PM
Anyone know how I can post a picture from my computer on here?

lapushka
September 21st, 2014, 05:17 PM
Anyone know how I can post a picture from my computer on here?

You would need to use a site like Photobucket or Imgur or some such. Make an account there, and upload your picture there. Then post the URL (BBcode) here into a message.

You didn't post enough yet that you can get an album and upload pictures here.

Kayto
September 21st, 2014, 05:31 PM
Mane n Tail shampoo: Water/Aqua/Eau, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Cocamide MEA, Glycol Distearate, Propylene Glycol, Fragrance (Parfum), Hydrolyzed Collagen, Citric Acid, Methylchlorisothiazolinone/Methylisothiazolinone, Butylphenyl Methylpropional
Mane n Tail conditioner: Water/Aqua/Eau, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine Lactate, Cetyl Alcohol, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Polysorbate 60, Steareth-20, Methylparaben, Sodium Chloride, PEG-150 Stearate, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Propylparaben, Anhydrous Lanolin USP, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Yellow #5 (CI 19140), Benzyl Benzoate, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Limonene, Linalool, Alpha-isomethyl Ionone

I bolded where the protein is at. I think that should be the protein, if not someone please correct me! :)
Have you been able to grow virgin hair out?

Only about 2 inches of my hair right now is virgin. :(

Madora
September 21st, 2014, 05:40 PM

Just a heads up re: baby oil (mineral oil). When you use it, do not apply directly from bottle on to your hair. Instead, drop 2 drops of the MO into your palms, spread the oil all over palms/fingers, then draw your hands through your hair several times, until the oil sheen on your palms has about disappeared.

Johnson and Johnson makes a great baby oil. Be sure to get the version that has ONLY the MO and fragrance. Additives make the MO less effective.