PDA

View Full Version : Reincarnation and hair.

sarathar
September 21st, 2014, 02:17 PM
I recenetly heard a theory which claims that the lenght and structure of our hair is earned by our life style and choises in past lives. Can this explain why some people can never grow their hair long and then there are others who can do anything to their hair and they will still have long and healthy hair. Do you believe in this theory?

Theobroma
September 21st, 2014, 02:25 PM
Short answer: Nope.

Zesty
September 21st, 2014, 02:27 PM
I second this.

martyna_22
September 21st, 2014, 02:29 PM

I third this.

jeanniet
September 21st, 2014, 02:29 PM
No. It makes no sense, since ethnicity is often the main contributor to length/strength (hair type), so the theory would inherently mean that certain ethnicities were somehow "better" than others. We all know that there are good people and not-so-good people within any group.

chen bao jun
September 21st, 2014, 02:34 PM
I don't believe in anything with no evidence behind it. There is no evidence for reincarnation. and as others said, whether your hair grows long or not has a whole lot to do with the kind of hair you have, which ethnicity really affects.

gthlvrmx
September 21st, 2014, 02:40 PM
Maybe. You choose to be born to certain parents for whatever lessons you want to learn in each lifetime so you may also have planned out what kind of hair you want. It's totally possible.

cathair
September 21st, 2014, 02:50 PM
I sixth nope. If I did believe in reincarnation (which I don't), I would hope it would come down to something more meaningful than determining ones hair type.

jacqueline101
September 21st, 2014, 02:53 PM
I have to say nope. I don't think there is any truth to this theory.

sarathar
September 21st, 2014, 02:58 PM
I sixth nope. If I did believe in reincarnation (which I don't), I would hope it would come down to something more meaningful than determining ones hair type.

Ofcourse reincarnation doesn't only come down to hair type but because this forum is about hair, I thought this theory may sound interesting to people. :)

sarathar
September 21st, 2014, 03:14 PM
I don't believe in anything with no evidence behind it. There is no evidence for reincarnation. and as others said, whether your hair grows long or not has a whole lot to do with the kind of hair you have, which ethnicity really affects.

What about books and all sorts of videos about people who can remember details from their past lives ... or isn't that evidence? I personaly believe in reincarnatin because I know in fact that I was a man in my past life, for example when I was a kid I started to doubt if I actually liked boys and maybe I liked girls but as I grew up I realised it was because I'm still learning how to be a woman. And when talking about ethnicity ... we're all same in inside, our souls are just born to different bodies to learn and grow for better. :)

meteor
September 21st, 2014, 03:17 PM
I don't believe in anything with no evidence behind it.

Yup! :agree:

Anything is possible but I don't believe things that have no scientific support at all.

It sounds like it could be a basis for some interesting mythology though, like Samson and his hair containing his power and some other stories. Sarathar, where did you hear the hair & reincarnation story from? :)

SkyChild
September 21st, 2014, 03:21 PM
I don't think there's a huge amount of believers in reincarnation on this board, sarathar.
I do believe in reincarnation but think that probably the lessons we learn are maybe more important than our hair type? I suppose to learn patience I could have hair that doesn't grow healthy quickly but I hope that it's a tad more meaningful than that.

With regards to the books and videos of people remembering details of past lives, sceptics will always say things like "Memory is easily changed, intentionally or not." or "Maybe they are just making it up." and those who believe will always be more... positive and say that they must remember, why would someone make up something like that?

It's interesting though. What if there IS hair karma and you bleached and fried it with perms in the twenties so now your hair splits like nobody's business even though you condition it and care for it and it is virgin root to tip?

sarathar
September 21st, 2014, 03:23 PM
https://www.facebook.com/mari.metsallik/photos/a.741195839279083.1073741843.615020945229907/741789192553081/?type=1&permPage=1
Here, she also writes in her other articles why some people are naturally "fit" and other interesting things like that :P
It's not in english tho.

sarathar
September 21st, 2014, 03:25 PM
I do believe in reincarnation but think that probably the lessons we learn are maybe more important than our hair type?

Ofcourse! Again, because it's forum about hair I thought it may seem interesting :)

meteor
September 21st, 2014, 03:27 PM
You choose to be born to certain parents for whatever lessons you want to learn in each lifetime so you may also have planned out what kind of hair you want. It's totally possible.

How can one choose to be born to certain parents? How can one choose to be even born?
(Not trying to disagree, just honestly wondering how this is possible.)

gthlvrmx
September 21st, 2014, 03:32 PM
How can one choose to be born to certain parents? How can one choose to be even born?
(Not trying to disagree, just honestly wondering how this is possible.)

When you're on the other side, you can plan out what kind of experiences you want to have in your next life. You're in spirit at that time on the other side (or heaven if you want to call it that). You choose which parents to be born to and which body you would like to incarnate into. You ask help from other people in spirit to come into your life at certain times to help you learn lessons or experience things and you even ask for help from your spirit guides and angels.

BogwoodElf
September 21st, 2014, 03:36 PM
Well, I'm speaking up in support of reincarnation. I believe in it, and am content with that. :o

As for affecting hair? :shrug: It's my observations that the older the soul, the more struggles they choose, while becoming more wise/serene/beautiful. So in that way, I would think it more likely for the "older" the soul, the "crazier" the hair. :laugh: But who's to say, really? I'm old, I have good hair. It's ethnicity, on my part, as previously mentioned. But then... I don't think that's a crapshoot either. I think we choose where we want to be. I'm pretty sure I chose exactly who I am, and my lovely hair is a by-product of my soul's choice, more than a reflection of its' accumulated karma.

That's my .2 for what it's worth. :)

Aurum
September 21st, 2014, 03:44 PM
I've always thought reincarnation was an interesting subject to daydream about, but I call bullcrap on this. Your hair type/length/quality is determined by genes and environmental factors, and that's it. I can't see how something you did in the spiritual world (whatever you choose to call it) would have any impact on the physical side of things.

I have a lot to say on this subject, but I won't go off into a rant about it here. :soapbox: Of course, this is all hypothetical seeing as I'm an atheist.

chen bao jun
September 21st, 2014, 04:14 PM
There is possible. There is probable. And then there is proof.
First you have to prove to me, gthlvrmx, that 'you choose to be born to certain parents,' before we can even have a further discussion.
I have read a lot of people's 'memories' of past lives, which is one reason that I don't believe in reincarnation. The 'memories' are always terribly historically inaccurate. these people tend to 'remember' that their past lives were like what you see passing for history in movies, rather than the way it actually was in past times, according to historical evidence. Makes me personally highly suspicious that they are real memories.
Anyone has a right to their opinion, of course, in anything and anyone has a right to start a thread topic. But it a person starts a thread topic, they have to be prepared for people to disagree with them, or ask them the reasons why they wrote whatever they wrote.
NOTE: Opinion--'I like rain." Nobody can argue with this. Nobody else has a right to tell you what you like.
Fact: 'It's raining.' If you go outside and get wet, it is in fact raining. If water is falling from the sky, it is totally pointless to keep saying, 'well, it's not raining and I have a right to my opinion as much as you have a right to yours.'
'It's possible that it is raining' is a statement that you can make, of course--but only as long as you are indoors (and away from a window). Once you go outside, it will be completely clear whether it is raining or not, because it's an objective fact. It's also in most cases quite clear whether it has recently rained or not--but I think you get my drift by now.

Maybe. You choose to be born to certain parents for whatever lessons you want to learn in each lifetime so you may also have planned out what kind of hair you want. It's totally possible.

MsPharaohMoan
September 21st, 2014, 04:21 PM
When you're on the other side, you can plan out what kind of experiences you want to have in your next life. You're in spirit at that time on the other side (or heaven if you want to call it that). You choose which parents to be born to and which body you would like to incarnate into. You ask help from other people in spirit to come into your life at certain times to help you learn lessons or experience things and you even ask for help from your spirit guides and angels.

If anyone wants to watch an AMAZING movie that has this concept in it, I would highly, highly suggest "Mr. Nobody". One of my favourite films, so many patterns! I don't necessarily believe it, however I acknowledge that some people choose to believe this. At the beginning, the film's main character is a child in heaven going through the process of being born into the world and gets to choose his 'mummy and daddy'. Bonus: english accents.

LoveAngelBeauty
September 21st, 2014, 04:21 PM
I believe in reincarnation, but i find this theory offensive. seems like just another way for people to make themselves appear superior to others. i also found the notion that ethnicity determines whether you can grow long hair offensive and i am kind of surprised at how many people here are even entertaining either of these ridiculous povs.

jeanniet
September 21st, 2014, 05:10 PM
OK, then genetics. I'm not saying any one type of hair is better than another, just that some types of hair are easier to grow longer because they're less fragile, not that more fragile types of hair can't be grown long. There are other things at play as well, obviously. I probably should've said that ethnicity is a contributing factor, not the main factor. I was thinking primarily in terms of strand strength and terminal length.

ETA: I really don't see where I said ethnicity determines whether a person can grow long hair. I said it contributes to hair type/length/strength, ie ease of growth, not whether it can be grown long, period.

Saldana
September 21st, 2014, 05:16 PM
No, I can't say I believe this, although I firmly believe in reincarnation.

LoveAngelBeauty
September 21st, 2014, 05:19 PM
OK, then genetics. I'm not saying any one type of hair is better than another, just that some types of hair are easier to grow longer because they're less fragile, not that more fragile types of hair can't be grown long. There are other things at play as well, obviously. I probably should've said that ethnicity is a contributing factor, not the main factor. I was thinking primarily in terms of strand strength and terminal length.

ETA: I really don't see where I said ethnicity determines whether a person can grow long hair. I said it contributes to hair type/length/strength, ie ease of growth, not whether it can be grown long, period.

Thanks!

I agreed with your first comment (it was fair) and did not mean to seem as if my response was directed towards you. :)

I admit that I can become a little sensitive when people start making correlations between ethnicity and hair length.

lapushka
September 21st, 2014, 05:21 PM
No way! I had to even laugh when I read it, sorry. No offense meant.

jeanniet
September 21st, 2014, 05:29 PM
Thanks!

I agreed with your first comment (it was fair) and did not mean to seem as if my response was directed towards you. :)

I admit that I can become a little sensitive when people start making correlations between ethnicity and hair length.

Sorry, I did think you meant my post! :) I was really thinking mostly about Asian/Indian hair, as that's the type I'm most familiar with. I don't think any one type of hair is any better than another, which is what (to me), this theory of reincarnation kind of implies.

BogwoodElf
September 21st, 2014, 07:39 PM
Oh, I hope I didn't come off as ethnicity=long/short hair. ***Personally***, I have thick, dark, strong hair, because of my genes. That's all I was saying for myself.

Amapola
September 21st, 2014, 08:37 PM
Sorry, I don't know where I am on the list but 20th or something, that does not believe this.

I do think that people can think of things like this almost as excuses - "Well, I can never grow my hair long, because in a previous life blah blah blah, therefore there is nothing I can do about it" whilst continuing some destructive behavior towards their hair such as using an excessive amount of heat, and smugly asserting that it is all out of their hands, because reincarnation. That would be an example of how someone might possibly use this as an excuse, instead of actually finding out how to take better care of their strands and I am not at all saying that anyone here is doing this or even suggesting this - just that I'm not surprised to hear this idea is out there.

I used to think my hair would not grow because I was at terminal. (At BSL.) But I was wrong. No doubt if someone had told me it was because of my reincarnations I would have eagerly seized on that idea as well. But I would still have been wrong. :shrug: Sorry and hope this does not offend anyone.

DweamGoiL
September 21st, 2014, 08:41 PM
No, I can't say I believe this, although I firmly believe in reincarnation.

I second this!

meteor
September 21st, 2014, 09:19 PM
Sorry, I don't know where I am on the list but 20th or something, that does not believe this.

I do think that people can think of things like this almost as excuses - "Well, I can never grow my hair long, because in a previous life blah blah blah, therefore there is nothing I can do about it" whilst continuing some destructive behavior towards their hair such as using an excessive amount of heat, and smugly asserting that it is all out of their hands, because reincarnation. That would be an example of how someone might possibly use this as an excuse, instead of actually finding out how to take better care of their strands and I am not at all saying that anyone here is doing this or even suggesting this - just that I'm not surprised to hear this idea is out there.

I used to think my hair would not grow because I was at terminal. (At BSL.) But I was wrong. No doubt if someone had told me it was because of my reincarnations I would have eagerly seized on that idea as well. But I would still have been wrong. :shrug: Sorry and hope this does not offend anyone.

^ This is really a quality post and had to be said. :agree:

I think there are lots of opinions out there that are all getting respect, because we are too scared to offend each other... so really proven, cold facts can get "crowded out" by a lot of unproven ideas. I heard stuff like you need to talk to your hair nicely or collect shed hair to make it grow, or Zodiac/Chinese horoscopes drive thickness/length, or country of birth or your religious beliefs can affect it, and now - even previous lives... and I just have to say "there's simply no evidence for that". I'd rather focus energy on the little stuff that was proven and that we can actually do something about - and it will bring results! :) While obscurantism is counter-productive and can make people give up on putting in effort.

I really hope that trying to figure out what works and what doesn't (including debunking myths, if needed) is not considered offensive, because it's definitely not meant to be. :flower:
Myths can be interesting, but I just hope that people won't create some mystery around what it takes to grow long hair. There is really no magic there! :flower:

BogwoodElf
September 21st, 2014, 09:36 PM
I really hope that trying to figure out what works and what doesn't (including debunking myths, if needed) is not considered offensive, because it's definitely not meant to be. :flower:
Myths can be interesting, but I just hope that people won't create some mystery around what it takes to grow long hair. There is really no magic there! :flower:

I respectfully disagree. I think there is a bit of magic in every thing. I'm not offended at all, by people who believe differently than me. But I think there is plenty of magic in it, all the same. :o

The only thing I find even remotely offensive, is the argument of "fact" being the end all be all. Like all the faiths I can think of, off of the top of my head: there are not a lot of facts to be had. Period. But it doesn't make it any less dear to us.

I do agree perfectly, that hair and re-incarnation are most likely *not* related. But I dislike how rudely in was taken to task in a couple of posts.

Believing in reincarnation is a *belief*. It is sacred to some of us. We structure our whole lives around this belief.

butter52
September 22nd, 2014, 02:58 AM
I respectfully disagree. I think there is a bit of magic in every thing. I'm not offended at all, by people who believe differently than me. But I think there is plenty of magic in it, all the same. :o

The only thing I find even remotely offensive, is the argument of "fact" being the end all be all. Like all the faiths I can think of, off of the top of my head: there are not a lot of facts to be had. Period. But it doesn't make it any less dear to us.

I do agree perfectly, that hair and re-incarnation are most likely *not* related. But I dislike how rudely in was taken to task in a couple of posts.

Believing in reincarnation is a *belief*. It is sacred to some of us. We structure our whole lives around this belief.

Well fact is at the end for the ones who do not believe in magical things. It will not be for the ones who believe in magical things. I dont see why you felt that offensive, its just a different way of choosing one's opinions. I dont think anyone meant to offend.

And no, I don't belive this. This hair reincarnation thing looks like a new unnecesary complication. Nature is beautiful, and there is plenty of nice stories, miths and beliefs to add some magical feel to it. No need to make up new ones about petty things like hair.

Lady melissa
September 22nd, 2014, 03:44 AM
i believe in reincarnation, but not in this theory. What i noticed with myself, is that the memory of previous lifes inspire me to grow my hair long. It's like remembering yourself how you used to be and integrating this in your current life....if this makes any sense to you ;)

Majorane
September 22nd, 2014, 04:18 AM
I'm an atheist who doesn't believe in reincarnation* but I can see why this theory would make sense to some people? Some people heavily associate hair with energy, an' stuff, and if you have negative energy from a previous life trailing behind, it could show in hair, and... and... Well, I don't think that's true, but I can see why some people would believe this. And I find it interesting to think about those theories, even if I do not agree? Right? Is that so weird? Probably. But I kinda get why someone whould believe that...?

* Note:That doesn't necessarily mean I am right in my disbelief. If you who reads this does believe in reincarnation, or in a deity, I hope I do not offend. I know I do not know everything, I could be wrong. I obviously do not think I am, but I do realise I cannot know that with 100% proven proof. Blah. Let's be friends?

truepeacenik
September 22nd, 2014, 09:49 AM
As a person who suspects reincarnation isn't as personal as most westerners make it out to be, and one who thinks deity is also impersonal, but understands the impulse to personalize the forces that led to life as we know it, be it stardust or earth dust,
I'm laughing at the idea that past incarnation karma would follow so closely as to affect hair growth.

Especially in the West, reincarnation is a heavy ego trip. How many people believe they were a specific somebody from history, Cleopatra, a disciple of the xtian god, DaVinci, certain military masters? Or on the flip side, an individual who suffered greatly, known or unknown? No one was just a no-name schmoe with no great excitement.

Lessons come in quiet as much as activity. Ask a consistently practicing meditator. Or a daydreamer.

The only connection I can possibly see is the genes you get this time around. Round hairs break less, overall. They tend to just lie there.
Ovals have more stress points, and oval hair curls, making even more stress points.

MsPharaohMoan
September 22nd, 2014, 10:26 AM
Especially in the West, reincarnation is a heavy ego trip. How many people believe they were a specific somebody from history, Cleopatra, a disciple of the xtian god, DaVinci, certain military masters? Or on the flip side, an individual who suffered greatly, known or unknown? No one was just a no-name schmoe with no great excitement.

You could have reincarnated many times - many no-name schmoe lives where you learned lessons that passed on, but you only remember that life where you were Cleopatra because of how memorable and significant it was. There is much information about famous people out there that you are likely to stumble over and connect with.

BogwoodElf
September 22nd, 2014, 10:28 AM
Well fact is at the end for the ones who do not believe in magical things. It will not be for the ones who believe in magical things. I dont see why you felt that offensive, its just a different way of choosing one's opinions. I don't think anyone meant to offend.

And no, I don't belive this. This hair reincarnation thing looks like a new unnecesary complication. Nature is beautiful, and there is plenty of nice stories, miths and beliefs to add some magical feel to it. No need to make up new ones about petty things like hair.

I didn't feel that was offensive. :) I'm not easily offended about my beliefs. They will always be less than the norm where I presently live. :laugh: I have no facts to back up the magic in my hair. ;) I was mostly responding because she was friendly and factual about saying that there was no magic to it, and I feel there is. :o The second part of my post, was regarding her other point of hoping that wasn't offensive (it's not), I alluded to what I thought was (in this thread).

There was a specific approach by a couple of posts (not the one I was responding to, as I think was obvious), that was in my opinion rude. :shrug:. If it had been a "titled" religion it would have been handled more delicately (I assume, but perhaps this person is just abrasive, being new to the community, I obviously have to get my bearings, and figure out different personalities). But because it was just "reincarnation", it rather seemed up for mockery. :shrug: I was raised in two religions, and the entire basis of one, is reincarnation.

I'm not able to grasp the proper words I'm seeking... :confused:

Like the difference between...

"No, I personally do not believe in Christ."
and
"I'm sorry but you're going to have to show me proof of Christ, no proof, no discussion."

A lot of things cannot be proven, but it doesn't stop us from being polite to others. Since this is chiefly a hair forum, and not a belief forum, it seems polite to me to be more gentle around the faith topic, and more merciless around the hair topic. All of the posts that echoed "I honestly don't think past lives effect/affect your hair, I seems obvious to me, that it much more the case of genetics, diet, environment, and care, rather than karma." made perfect sense in this thread.

Honestly it doesn't matter much to me, I'm not sitting here with my knickers in a knot. Not in the least. :laugh: I was just sort of caught off guard by it, guess.

Pay me no mind. :couch:

Anje
September 22nd, 2014, 10:52 AM
I don't believe in reincarnation, but my friend who do all agree that I'm new.

Should I even have hair?

angstroms
September 22nd, 2014, 10:53 AM
I think it's sort of funny how this thread got quite a few skeptic-style "nope" answers early on. Not what I expected from this group of people, haha. There are some super popular threads and topics here that are pretty absurd from an evidence-based standpoint that I don't usually see a lot of objection to, usually just seems like people pass over what they disagree with. Now, the thread did specifically ask for opinions, so I know it's a bit different, but since people have straight-faced conversations about moon phase hair care on here, I am surprised by some of the responses to this thread. I'm not a huge believer in things without real evidence, but surely this is a lot more harmless than some of the directly appropriative religious discussions that go on here totally unchecked. Sorry if this sounds hostile to anyone, it's not meant to be (except to those that do harm to endangered cultures through appropriation, obviously, but that's not relevant to this thread). Debunking myths that harm hair is good, but this isn't really one of them. I see what people mean with the whole using a myth as an excuse for bad hair care, though.

In response to the OP, I can't say I buy that idea really but it's certainly fun to think about!

MsBubbles
September 22nd, 2014, 11:25 AM
I think it's sort of funny how this thread got quite a few skeptic-style "nope" answers early on. Not what I expected from this group of people,

*cut*

but since people have straight-faced conversations about moon phase hair care on here, I am surprised by some of the responses to this thread.

BUT the moon is REAL!!! :lol:

I agree with you. I also agree with Bogwoodelf, that some of the replies denouncing reincarnation have been less tactful or kind. Nobody is forcing anybody to believe in reincarnation.

I've often wondered briefly if we don't all experience every life at some point. Infinity is pretty big.

Anje...is that your friends' way of saying you're a young soul? :D But you're a smart lady so I disagree. I kinda laugh when people proclaim "Oh, I'm an OLD SOUL and people tell me this all the time". It just smacks too much of bragging. Meh. We're all old souls.

And if anybody has read this far, and I mean this hypothetically, we *could* pick our body types and appearances to a certain extent, based on what we might want to experience in this lifetime. We certainly have a different set of challenges in life if we are knock-outs or if we're not conventionally pretty (and this is a sad FACT). So picking pretty hair as determined by whatever culture we were to be born into, would give us a particular set of experiences.

Ok well that's all the thinking I'm capable of. :dizzy:

RockyLvsAdrian
September 22nd, 2014, 11:53 AM
I recenetly heard a theory which claims that the lenght and structure of our hair is earned by our life style and choises in past lives. Can this explain why some people can never grow their hair long and then there are others who can do anything to their hair and they will still have long and healthy hair. Do you believe in this theory?

Despite the fact I don't believe in reincarnation, the first thing that leads to me to feel sceptical about this theory is the fact that long hair isn't everyone's idea of "good" hair. My mother has really thick, healthy hair but likes to keep it short and it drives her wild that it grows so fast and she has to maintain a short cut so often.

So, what if you have made good choices etc. in a past life but would prefer to have nice, neat short hair in this life without the hassle of having to trim it so often? What if you made horrendous choices in a past life but are perfectly happy having short hair that doesn't have to be trimmed often?

Doesn't make sense to me sorry.

Purdy Bear
September 22nd, 2014, 12:06 PM
Of the many life times I can remember there are a few things that are common:

1. The person doesn't change in looks, their hair colour is the same, eyes the same colour. You can recognise the person if they are in your current life.

2. Their roll in your current life and other lives changes - ie in one life a woman maybe your mother when she's your sister in another.

3. Personalities don't really change unless you/they have really worked on it, so the person who was a complete evil piece of work, is still the same.

4. As for hair, the colour and texture stays the same, styles will change but they reflect the previous lives. For instance if you have someone who always use braided up dos, in their next life they may have short hair that reflects that up do.

5. Deaths do change with each life, as do the amount of children you have.

6. Learned skills do cross over but in the speed you learn. For instance someone like Mozart who could play a piano at an early age may well have been a pianist in a previous life, thus found it easy to learn in this one.

7. Some also say phobias can come from past lives, like having a fear of drowning when they died that way in their previous life.

And so on.

There are two schools of thought connected to reincarnation. The first is that it is the guides memory that is coming through for the person, and the second that it was the persons actual past life.

Timea
September 22nd, 2014, 12:06 PM
I think if it were true then everybody would have long hair because in the past pretty much all women had their long

Crysania
September 22nd, 2014, 12:53 PM
I can't see how something you did in the spiritual world (whatever you choose to call it) would have any impact on the physical side of things.

Thats the thing though, the physical world is not separate from the other dimensions, all dimensions are linked together.

I believe in reincarnation, and our life conditions, family are chosen(with the help of higher beings) before we incarnate, depending on what we need to experience to get better (or help others get better, for those who have mastered the physical plane)

As for the hair type we have, I ignore if we can choose this far.
Karma is simply the law of cause and effect, that goes on from one life to the next.

MsBubbles
September 22nd, 2014, 01:01 PM
Of the many life times I can remember there are a few things that are common:

1. The person doesn't change in looks, their hair colour is the same, eyes the same colour. You can recognise the person if they are in your current life.

4. As for hair, the colour and texture stays the same,

Well that's a bummer, man! (http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/f1/f1fd7b1590fd8530b9006758de4fbe040b5774ee3f265e629e 839642e4b46916.jpg)

lmfbs
September 22nd, 2014, 03:15 PM
/10characters

lmfbs
September 22nd, 2014, 03:17 PM
What about books and all sorts of videos about people who can remember details from their past lives ... or isn't that evidence?

It's not evidence. Anecdotes are stories, which may or may not be true. They don't provide evidence to prove or disprove a theory. Reincarnation is a theory where all evidence points to disprove it, and no reliable, recreatble evidence exists to prove it, and therefore it's not a thing I can believe in.

It seems the likely thinking behind this myth is the life lesson of being good during our time on this planet to reap rewards later in life. Personally, I think we should be good without external motivators, and the promise of pretty hair in another lifetime is kind of insulting to our intelligence as human beings - we should be good because it's the right thing to do, not to earn magical points for a future life.

Sharysa
September 22nd, 2014, 04:35 PM
I believe in reincarnation, but there are things I've noticed that completely disagree with "long, healthy hair = positive energy/choices":

1) Certain life-patterns dominate experiences. I've had a lot of lifetimes that are just awful, and I'm hoping to learn how to handle/avoid the negative patterns that I've encountered in this one.

2) Certain physical traits dominate appearance. Not because they're good or bad--I believe it's just because some spirits gravitate towards certain traits. I've been a man in at least one or two lives, but despite that it seems my hair tends to be long and dark. Much like my most common occupation is something artistic, or how my most common personality is heavily spiritual.

If beautiful hair is a sign of good karma, energy, choices, whatever, then I shouldn't have pretty hair because my life sucks. Just throwing that out there.

And what about the other people who are gorgeous and have had horrible things happen to them? What about the people who are plain/ugly but have had nothing but positive energy? What about the people who believe that their spirit chooses hardships for the lessons that one has to learn in a lifetime?

"You can only have pretty hair if you make good reincarnation choices or have positive life-patterns?" No. It smacks of black-and-white morality and simplification. Life isn't that simple, and neither is reincarnation.

Hair condition is dominated by 1) genetics, 2) whatever you want to do with it, and 3) your experience and knowledge. I had short hair that I straightened religiously in high school, but it was only because I was a teenager who followed the "LAYERS ALL THE TIME" trend and I didn't realize my hair was wavy. Now that I know how to take care of my waves, I love my hair.

And this concept of "pretty hair = good reincarnation choices" doesn't even hint how a lot of criminals get away with things precisely because they're attractive.