PDA

View Full Version : Thin shorter hair - trying to grow it long support!

Emme76
March 20th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Hello everyone with shorter (thin or fine) hair trying to grow it long. Are you out there - woulden't it be great if we can support eachother on our bumpy road to longer hair:)?????? Or you who have done it and can give us some great advice!

Well, I just joined LHC and been reading about the different ways to take care of my hair. Many on here already have very long and beautiful hair. (yeaaaa for you :cheese:). For me shoulder length would be long. I have always worn my hair short (about to the jaw or just under (kinda like the posh due) but always wanted my hair long. Ever since I was a kid I wanted long hair but since I had fine hairs (and not sooo much of it) it kept getting cut. I did have it longer during my teens but then I colored it so much and did a home perm so it got badly damaged. It took years before it became healthy again.

Now with the support from LHC I will try to get it just below my shoulders to start with. I am not sure how long this will take...maybe over a year or longer. I am afraid it will look to thin - damaged at the ends - and I will just end up cutting again. But I seen other women with longer fine/thin hair and it looks good. Since it is healthy and they put some volume booster in it - it works for them.
I think it has to do with alot of patience. I don't have that :rolleyes:!
A few weeks ago I started to eat special vitamines for healthy hair...so that might make a difference.
I use olive oil, heavy conditioner, and special schampoo for thin hair (but I have to cheack for cones in my products - didn't really kow it might be bad for your hair. I will have to find out if my hair likes it or not. But after what I read it feels like many with thin/fine hair likes cones better...but I might be very wrong since I have no experience with this myself.)

Anyway - if you are in the same situation as me????? Maybe we can keep in contact and post pictures and support eachother on the way to reach our goals :D. What you think???
And ofcause also you that already "done it" - your thoughts and advice.
I hope to hear from you. If there is anyone out there.....???
:) Hugs Emme76

WavyGirl
March 20th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Hi Emme76, and welcome to LHC.

I don't have particularly fine hair so my methods probably won't be much help to you. If you're only trying to grow to shoulder length then cones and heat styling shouldn't cause you too many problems, if you're hoping to go much longer then you may have to rethink some of your habits. If you trim a tiny bit every 3 or 4 months it should help to keep your ends looking good. I know there were some very helpful links and articles in the newbies section of the old LHC boards but I haven't checked here yet. :o

Anyway, I wish you luck & patience. Happy growing!

lora410
March 20th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Morning and welcome. I am not a fine haired but for some people cones really weight the hair down and make it appear thinner and stringy (like me for instance and it knots up my ends really bad). It takes experimenting to find out what works best for hair. I use shampoo bars and they definitely give a boost in volume but it may take a few trys to find one your hair likes. All I can suggest is be gentle to your hair, Use a seam free comb(you can see the seams inside of the teeth on store bought combs) you can always file the seems out as well. Seamed combs tear at your hair cuticle.You can also buy a horn comb on-line. Try to avoid heat, and any kind of dye if possible. Overall just love your hair and accept your hair as it is. There are alot of fine haired lovelies on here with really long hair, so it can be done :flowers:

Kirin
March 20th, 2008, 08:46 AM
hello fellow fine hair!

My hair is VERY fine. Very thin, and i've had it short short since my teen years mostly from chemical bleaching damage so on so fourth.

What works for one person may not work for you, but I can tell you what i do. My fine hair likes to be washed daily, otherwise its flat, stringing and i look slightly bald LOL. I keep my conditioners LIGHT, and cone/protein free if at all possible. Silicone tends to straighten my hair, and flatten it. It feels great, and smooth, but there is ZERO body.

With fine hair, build up is your enemy, at least thats what i've found, I make sure to clarify at least once a week.

heidihug
March 20th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Emme, I have very long, fine and thin hair. It took me about 10 or 12 years to get it to the length it is now - just at the top of my thighs, about 48 inches, give or take.

Advice for you? I experimented a lot with shampoos and conditioners throughout that time, and found some brands that work well for me. After my hair got to below shoulder length, I stopped perming, blow-drying it and curling the ends - it's just too damaging to our type of hair, though I do curl my bangs every day. I also started to color it - I am getting grays around my face, and it's not pretty! I've found coloring it actually helps keep it soft and healthy, especially if I condition and oil the heck out of it right away. My hair-care products of choice - Infusium shampoo and conditioner in the shower, although I use Aussie brand occasionally to change it up. Then I put in the runny Infusium 23 leave-in conditioner all over, and spray Bed-head leave-in all over, too. Finally, I massage a natural oil into the bottom 12 to 24 inches - I have about 10 different kinds depending upon what I feel like using at the time.

Really, I just recommend "careful neglect" as the more I obsess about my hair, the more I want to trim or mess with it. It's important to find a style for each grow-out length that works for you. At first I used barrettes and scrunchies for simple ponytails. Then I started doing buns and twists. I have lots of sticks and forks, too, which work well for anything longer than shoulderblade. I also learned to french braid, which works great to make fine thin hair look pretty and neat.

khyricat
March 20th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I have very thin hair, its almost BSL now. I have always had at least shoulder length hair except a few times, because when its short it is short, flat and ick.. my hair isn't exactly fine though. Henna has thickened and strengthened it too.. which has helped it become longer than it has been in awhile.. that and learning that every conditioner I have ever tried is causing massive hairloss.. I have a lot of new growth since switching to an herbal conditioning leave in and oils instead of commercial products. I also use a poo bar and have been playing with scalp massage and even the nail rubbing that someone suggested here.. which all seems to be helping.. I would have had it trimmed back as too thin by now and it doesn't seem that way anymore except on the very ends.. I still have tiny buns, but I am hoping to get enough length that eventually they don't seem so small..

chrissy-b
March 20th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Hi Emme76!

I'm in the same boat. My hair is very thin due to chemical processes, kidney problems, and other issues I won't get into here. I had to do a big chop at the beginning of the year and since then, I've cut out all cones, CWC every 2-3 days, and decided to wear it up for the entire year.

While my hair was very long as a child, I've been cutting it short for the last 10 years or so, and whenever it gets around shoulder length, I chop it. I honestly haven't gone more than 6 weeks without cutting it, but since coming to LHC, I haven't cut in nearly three months. Wearing it up has been really helpful in that.

Good luck, and we're all here to help!;)

lora410
March 20th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I have very thin hair, its almost BSL now. I have always had at least shoulder length hair except a few times, because when its short it is short, flat and ick.. my hair isn't exactly fine though. Henna has thickened and strengthened it too.. which has helped it become longer than it has been in awhile.. that and learning that every conditioner I have ever tried is causing massive hairloss.. I have a lot of new growth since switching to an herbal conditioning leave in and oils instead of commercial products. I also use a poo bar and have been playing with scalp massage and even the nail rubbing that someone suggested here.. which all seems to be helping.. I would have had it trimmed back as too thin by now and it doesn't seem that way anymore except on the very ends.. I still have tiny buns, but I am hoping to get enough length that eventually they don't seem so small..

I have noticed as well since I got off the commercial band wagon my hair has thickened up and I BARELY shed any hairs at all!!!

Emme76
March 21st, 2008, 04:03 AM
Thank you sooooo much for all your advice!
I now been checking out the products that I use. My schampoo and conditioner is Tippek.. have anyone of you used it? I Looked at the ingredients and couldenīt find anything ending with -cone. BUT my deep treatment RedKen Allsoft has cones and also my BED HEAD "Small talk" tha is to use if I blowdry. I just spend a fortune on the redken and Bedhead before I found out that the cones might be bad for my hair. If I am going to go without...for how long should I try - to notice a difference? I might try oliveoil and egg for deep conditioning...and I been trying to get a hold of coconut oil but since I live in Sweden I can not find it in the supermarket...aaahhh...think I have to order some online.
But if I understand it correst - for some cones are good. Hummm...makes it a ībit tricky :rolleyes:...My hair do feel thicker and better since I started with the redken and bedhead...but it might only be for a few weekīs before I notice it is damaged from it...
I have a toppek thickning cream...that I think is working good. I canīt find any cones in it..but is keratine a cone perhaps? It does have alot of oil in it..both castor, wheat and jojoba..
Anyone tried it????

I will try not to blowdry and wear it up more.
But when I donīt blowdry my hair is just soooo flat.....any advice on that?????
I think I have a lONG way to go!!!! :)
Thank you again...for your advice and time...:cheese:
Hugs Emme

Meli
March 21st, 2008, 05:08 AM
I might try oliveoil and egg for deep conditioning...and I been trying to get a hold of coconut oil but since I live in Sweden I can not find it in the supermarket...aaahhh...think I have to order some online.

Coconut oil (kokosfett in Swedish) is usually available at supermarkets. I live in a small place in Sweden and I can easily find it here. And it's cheap too, about 20 SEK for 500g. This is of course the more refined/processed kind of coconut oil, but as far as I can understand it doesn't actually matter. My hair loves it, by the way.

FaeryTails
March 21st, 2008, 05:37 AM
My hair is also very fine and just on shoulder length, but I've started using cassia treatments on my hair, and it seems to have helped by giving it more volume and shine.

lora410
March 21st, 2008, 06:15 AM
If I am going to go without...for how long should I try - to notice a difference? I

I usually give all new products or new routines a week or two to see how my hair likes it. After the end of two weeks you notice a dramatic diffrence in a good way keep doing it.

Robinlyn
March 21st, 2008, 06:31 AM
Hi and welcome!! Congrats on your new journey to long hair! I have fine hair as well. I agree with FaeryTails, cassia has really helped my hair! I'm still trying new routines, I'm going to experiment with poo bars starting today! You have so much support & info here! Good luck!!

Emme76
March 21st, 2008, 07:14 AM
AAAAAAAaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh THANK YOU SO MUCH! I didnīt realize that it was kokosfett...in Swedish. I kept asking for cocunutoil!!!! Now I am sure I can find it everywhere....:) Thankīs. It is all so new to me that I just didnīt think about it!

I have to look up the cassia treatments- maybe that is also something for me. I will try to go cone free for atleast a week and see if that makes any change. If I don't notice any improvement I might go back to the cones....and try that for a while.

Sorry I keep asking about this...anyone else tried tippek schampoo and conditioner? I canīt find any cone in it...keratine...but that is not a cone ???

When I use the cocunutoil...It just melts in my hands...correct? Or do you sometimes heat it?

Thankīs again...for allt he help and support. I will try to get a picture up on my short hair...and try to follow the growth. :D
/Emme

Emme76
March 21st, 2008, 07:16 AM
AAAAAAAaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh THANK YOU SO MUCH! I didnīt realize that it was kokosfett...in Swedish. I kept asking for cocunutoil!!!! Now I am sure I can find it everywhere....:) Thankīs. It is all so new to me that I just didnīt think about it!

I have to look up the cassia treatments- maybe that is also something for me. I will try to go cone free for atleast a week and see if that makes any change. If I don't notice any improvement I might go back to the cones....and try that for a while.

Sorry I keep asking about this...anyone else tried tippek schampoo and conditioner? I canīt find any cone in it...keratine...but that is not a cone ???

When I use the cocunutoil...It just melts in my hands...correct? Or do you sometimes heat it?

Thankīs again...for allt he help and support. I will try to get a picture up on my short hair...and try to follow the growth. :D
/Emme

BrianaFineHair
March 21st, 2008, 07:27 AM
Hi Emme, let me chime in too. I'm with you! I have a short chin length bob right now (I started with a Pixie cut that looked like Halle Berry when she had a pixie). My hair is fine and thin too. I'm determined to not let that stop me from attaining my dream of long hair - at least BSL length. My hair does not like cons. The more natural the product, the more my hair thrives. I will be doing a henna this weekend. It's my hope that using henna will give my hair strength and body, thus, making it easier for us fine hair gals to go long. :)

My next experiment will be using a drop or so rosemary oil EO with vinegar rinse, which my hair simply loves, and poo bars.

Meli
March 21st, 2008, 07:36 AM
I'm glad I could help you. Body heat is enough to melt coconut oil. When I do light oilings I rip off a tiny amount with my fingernail and just rub it between my hands before I apply it to my hair. If you want to try heavy oilings I recommend that you melt it in a water-bath.

Javadandy
March 21st, 2008, 08:10 AM
Hi Emme! Welcome! :)

I have fine hair, and it was v e r y slow growing and thin most of my life. In my case it was my thyroid, but even after I started taking medicine for it, the hair grew better but it was still real thin. I think you are on the right track with the vitamins! I have found good nutrition was very important for me. Now I take a multi vitamin/mineral every day which has a good amount of A, B complex, C, E, Biotin and Zinc.

There is lots of good advice in this forum to help you along. As you grow your hair, you will find it's "comfort zone". Some folks hair can't handle silicones, some peoples hair work great with them. Some color, some henna and others are all natural. For me I use henna and amla and they have thicken my hair nicely. I also try not to use any appliance on the hair to avoid damage. I use just a heavy enough conditioner that allows me to comb out my hair, which is down to the middle of my back. I don't try to use cones if I can help it, they make my hair look good at first, but seem to keep water out and make it dry later, and then crunchy.

There are lots of articles on growth in this forum. If there is a way to grow your hair as fast and healthy as possible - you will find it here!

Good luck and happy hair!

Marian

Emme76
March 22nd, 2008, 09:28 AM
It would be great for us with the same goal that have short hair now to post pictures and then again in a few months and so on...to see the difference :)! What you think.
Here I am from the back:
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/9125/imgp5532yi2.jpg
Not much to say huuurrraayyy for :o...But I wonīt give up!!!!
My only big problem is blowdrying. I know it is so bad for your hair. But my hair is so fine and flyaway and it just looks so much better after I blowdry it. Anyone else feel like this? I will try to stop. I use to do it almost every day before...now I am down to about 3 times a week...a killer I know....but atleast I started to cut down ALOT. :rolleyes:!!!!!

By the way. I read about the Cassia treatments. Anyone know where in Sweden this stuff can be found????
Thank you again....
/Emme

Neon Gloss
March 22nd, 2008, 09:46 AM
My only big problem is blowdrying. I know it is so bad for your hair. But my hair is so fine and flyaway and it just looks so much better after I blowdry it. Anyone else feel like this? I will try to stop. I use to do it almost every day before...now I am down to about 3 times a week...a killer I know....but atleast I started to cut down ALOT. :rolleyes:!!!!!

I used to wash, blowdry, and straighten my hair daily. Actually, I've blowdried my hair up to the age of 15 or so, since I was probably 2 or 3 (gee, thanks ma). I was surprised to see how flat, frizzy and curly my natural hair looked, especially when it was really short, so I kept blowdrying until finally, I learned to appreciate my natural hair for every aspect of it. I only touch blowdriers on occasion nowadays, and my hair has felt amazing ever since I put it away (actually it's right under my laptop in the desk, shh). I've noticed that the longer my hair gets, the less I want to blowdry it and the more I start to like it.

So, let your hair grow, and gradually let go of the blowdryer. On weekends or days where you don't have to go out, let it dry naturally. Learning to love your natural hair is key!

Emme76
March 22nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
I agree with you. It feels like the shorter my hair is...specially now when it is just below the jaw - I need to blowdry more to make it look ok! When I was a bit younger I had a bit longer hair and then I didnīt blowdry at all as much!
I think I was about 15 years old when I did a home perm and damaged my hair BAD TIME. It is still not the same as it was before the perm that awful day. I donīt know what happend...but my hair never ever looked the same again. I miss my nice tight curls....:(!!!!
Now my hair is so long I can get it up into a small ponytail and also a tiny twist with a clip. I will try to wear it up more and tonight I am going to get come coconutoil :cheese:!!!!!
I gone cone free now for a few days and I canīt feel any difference. When I use oliveoil it is softer...I will go without for another week to see if it is better....

Thanks again for all the support...
/Emme

SchnauzerMom
March 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
My hair is fine and pretty thin. I've had it as long as waist length before. So I know it'll grow. My goal is to leave it alone and not whack it off just because it acts up during the growing out process.

Louise Clark
March 22nd, 2008, 12:17 PM
I don't have much advice, as my hair is the worst it's been it years! Hard hats are bad for hair. The fewest split ends I ever had was when I first grew it out I was active duty and kept it in a bun for 5-7 days a week and use Infusuim products only to include leave in DAILY. The more I didn't put it up, the worse it got. when I got comfortable about my lack of split ends and quit braiding it at night.... VERY BAD... split end city. I have never blow dried (didn't even own one for years, I own one now for the wood stove (great for getting fires going) and for drying out wet boots!
I am in your boat with baby fine hair, yes, it's in my gene pool, ha ha...
Good luck!! Hang in there!!!
By the way when I went to basic training it was a very short bob cut and it has been waist or hip length for several years now. I find when I gets much longer than that I can't control the damage to it. I have neglected my hair for the last couple of years and have paid the price for it, now I will try to fix it!
Thanks from me too for all the good suggestions on here!

Meli
March 22nd, 2008, 03:18 PM
By the way. I read about the Cassia treatments. Anyone know where in Sweden this stuff can be found????
Thank you again....
/Emme

You can find cassia at the health food store. It's sold as Neutral Henna, though. It says on the package that it is henna in it but that is wrong - the "neutral henna" is actually cassia. The brand name is Herbique.

embee
March 22nd, 2008, 03:47 PM
My hair was short when I started growing it out. I found the very best thing I could do was to put it back, and when it was long enough to put it up. And one day I realized my hair had really grown, it was getting LONG! This is called "benign neglect" and it worked for me.

People often try to say that if my hair is short it will be fuller or have wave or look thick. Not true in my case. If it's short, it's short thin fine hair. Straight. And falls into "stringy" look before lunch time.

Good Luck to you! This place is the greatest. :)

Emme76
March 23rd, 2008, 03:14 AM
Thankīs Meli for the tip!
I will look in the health stores close by and see if I can find the natural Henna and give it a try!
After what I understand it should be very good.

I also have to get used to wearing my hair up more! Now I can atleast get it into a ponytail :)!!!!!

Thankīs again for all your support!
/Emme

Emme76
March 24th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Coconut oil (kokosfett in Swedish) is usually available at supermarkets. I live in a small place in Sweden and I can easily find it here. And it's cheap too, about 20 SEK for 500g. This is of course the more refined/processed kind of coconut oil, but as far as I can understand it doesn't actually matter. My hair loves it, by the way.

WOW!
I just tried coconut oil. I just put some on my palm - rubbed it together and put on my hair. This stuff is amazing. My curls just popped up again all over...and it is like silk. I think I over did the oiling a bit...but I think my hair needs it. I will try a deep oiling tonight. I donīt think my hair has been this soft for many years

Do I melt the coconut and just put a bunch on..dry hair????? over night??? Or for a few hours??

Meli - how do you store your kokosfett? Does it have to be in the fridge?????? Thankīs...

I also think I am going to check out the poo bars and see if that is something for me. Anyone has suggestions for good poo bars for thin hair???
/Emme

Meli
March 24th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Coconut oil has a long shelf life, and shouldn't go bad outside the fridge. But I think it's better safe than sorry, and store it in the fridge anyway. You could always store a smaller amount (that you will use in a few weeks) outside the fridge if you like.

About heavy oilings - perhaps this page (http://www.*************/HCP/oiling.htm) might help you.

squiggyflop
March 24th, 2008, 09:04 AM
my hair was really thin when i was younger.. and ultra fine too... most of the thinness was due to me constantly dyeing and bleaching my hair... i mean constantly! before puberty my hair was so fine that i couldnt feel the strands if i rolled them between my fingers... i was a late bloomer and started puberty late.. henna has helped to thicken my hair... and after i stopped dyeing it new baby hairs started to grow in and my pony circumference got almost an extra inch added to it..

Babyfine
March 24th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I have very fine, thin hair. I used to perm it constantly, but my last perm was in 2001 - I quit because I now color and the perms caused so much damage and breakage. I have had my hair from super short crop cuts to BSL. I like the longer lengths on me personally, as my hair actually looks thicker when it's about shoulder length vs. short. I have wavy hair, and when it's short, it has cowlicks and needs to be styled on a daily basis. blown dry and curled or it must be permed. But when it's longer, I can wear it up a lot, which I like better.
I shampoo and condition every other day with Nioxin step 3( I don't know if you can get it over there)www.Nioxin.com
I use no conditioners on my scalp at all except for the Nioxin scalp therapy but I do use heavier conditioners from the ears down on my length.
I used to shampoo every 5 days with a non sulfate shampoo but it wasn't working for my scalp(long story)
I find that for my hair- the less chemicals I use the better for hair health. My hair won't take much abuse at all, heat, combing, ect.
I want to try Cassia and maybe even henna- right now I do have my hair colored to cover grey- but I have it done at a salon with demi-perm color every 4-5 months.
(I'm about 10% grey)
I do no heat styling at all, except once in a great while- my hair is so much healthier since I quit that.
I use 'cones in moderation- they help with my colored hair but they also pull out my waves, I have found. But My hair seems to "need" cones, maybe if it wasn't color treated it wouldn't. I do use oils, too, coconut oil is good.

Emme76
March 24th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Wow - I must say. So many that had thin hair that now can enjoy a more full mane. Sounds like Henna workes for some. I think I will try it.

I havenīt used cones for about 4 days now and I must say that my hair is more flat...but alot softer and I guess it is also flat because I donīt blowdry now. BUT it feels like silk because of the coconut oil.

Tomorrow I willt ry to get the Henna that Meli suggested, without color and also a poo bar to see if that workes for me.

I do think it will be easier to style without blowdrying and all the products when it is a bit longer. I think many of you agree with me...the shorter the more I feel like blowdry.

Now I have it in 2 tiny ponytails sticking out the back of my head...hehehheheh....looks a bit cute (says my hubbie) :)!! But not much of ponytails to talk about. But I will get there....

I am going to try deep oiling tonight. Any suggestions on the best way to do this...or perhaps there is only one way :rolleyes:...To heat it a bit and to cover my hair and let it stay in over night....???
THANKS again
Emme

Katze
March 24th, 2008, 11:29 AM
hi Emme, and welcome!

I've also got fine, thin hair, and had a lot of bleach, heat, and mechanical damage to deal with, so have been growing for a loooong time. You are lucky if you don't have chemical damage to deal with - it means you can keep the ends you have now. :)

What helped me was stretching washes so that my hair would become better hydrated - it was so dry but I didn't even know it. I did a lot of SMT (Snowy's Moisture Treatment) after finding LHC - after every wash for about 4 months, and this made a BIG difference. Now I CW or CWC wash, alternating 'cone and non-'cone products, and every other wash is a WO wash.

Stopping brushing my hair, using more moisture (including from stretching washes) and being more gentle with it allowed the wave to come out so that it looks a lot thicker than it really is. I prefer wearing it down in order to enjoy it at its best.

'Cones have also made my hair smoother and hang better, though I get nicer waves when I don't use them.

Careful neglect is a great idea. If indeed you don't color, and are gentle with your hair - ours needs more gentle treatment - then it WILL grow, it just takes time.

good luck and happy growing!

Katze

Emme76
March 24th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Yes, I will try not to wash it so often. I been washing it every other day - just feels very greasy when I donīt evenif it is still dry...hummm...does that make sence ? heheh...

Meli - I just saw your oiling link...THANK YOU! I am sure I can get all info about oiling that I need there.

I will let you know how it goes :cheese:!!!!!!
/Emme

Emme76
March 25th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Meli!! If you read this...a fast question..
I been looking all over for the natural Henna. In the "Life" Stores...
In what store did you find it?????? I find colores from brown to red, but no natural....
Thanks again...
Emme

Meli
March 25th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Neutral henna - not natural ;) I can find the "neutral henna" in the "Life" store here. If they don't have it in stock at your "Life" store, perhaps you can ask if they could order some for you? Or you could buy it online - I know Bodystore (here's the link (www.bodystore.com)) sells it.

Emme76
March 25th, 2008, 11:28 AM
hahahahha...than you Meli!!!!I will ask for the Neutral from now on !! :).....
I am so new to this stuff.
I did go to a store here called lush and got a really good schampoo and conditioner..only natural stuff - and it feels like my hair is really liking it. And also the coconut oil.

Maybe I will start a thread and ask about brown henna. I have brown hair and would love to see some pic - from some that already done it. Maybe there is someone out there in the LHC :cheese:!!!!!!! The girl in the store said you should always have someone to help you do it....hummm....maybe I will ask my hubbie....:) I am sure he will loveit..(not)

Thank you for all the help....
And support from everyone...
/Emme

Meli
March 25th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Actually, pure henna is always red. The brown stuff has something else mixed with it, probably indigo. I know it says pure henna on the boxes, just like it does on the neutral henna - which is cassia... Very frustrating, IMHO.

You could search the forum for "henndigo" or "indigo". There should be a lot of people who knows more about henndigo than I do ;)

Alaskanheart
March 25th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Hi Emme76!

I joined Lhc about 6 months ago, was lurking for a few years before that.The info and support here is amazing.Plus it is the only friendly web community I have ever been on, I havent seen anyone flame another person here.Its great!

Im a fine hair too, and when I first joined my hair was a tad bit longer than yours with tons of terrible awkward layers (hairdresser mistake).

What Ive found for my fine a bit thin hair, is that most expensive salon products are too heavy and make my hair flat.Also blowdrying regularly , really weakens my already fragile hair, esp. if I use a roundbrush. (been 6 months without heat).

Alot of fine hairs like using Conditioner Only washes...Might be something worth looking into.

J have been using poos/cond. for most of my life , so when I stopped I found out that my hair isnt bone straight like I always thought, but actually a bit wavy and not as "thin" as I thought it was either.So to me that just shows how heavy the cones are for fine hairs.

I dont comb wet, I let it dry first. I find that this helps make my hair appear to have more body.I might finger comb a bit.

I use a widetooth horn comb, but I hear wood is great too, and a seamless plastic or rubber comb is just as good. Just as long as there is no sharp edges.

Ive learned that my fine hair is just as capable of being grown long and looking healthy as those with thicker courser hair (alot of proof all over LHC), but I need to exercise more patience and gentleness.

I like to use oils to deep condition, Ive tried many. some are good some not so good. Just takes experimentation.

Henna might be a good option for you if you color and want to go a nnatural route.Theres a huge Henna following here, and lots of info.Henna is naturally a reddish brown , (more red than brown). But you can mix different herbs , and things to make all kinds of colors.Check out the Henna threads for info.

Really growing fine hair to its healthiest potential is just alot of trial and error and patience. There is so much to learn, and you learn something new everyday.

Welcome, and hope you enjoy it here as much as I do!

Emme76
March 26th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Alskanheart - thank you. Yes, I do agree with you. Everyone is very friendly in this community - it makes a big difference. And here is so much good info and advice. So much I didnīt know before.

I think one of my worst enemies is the roundbrush. I used it almost every day before. I havenīt now for about almost a week. I know I will use it when I go to parties and dance competitions...I think only cause I am still a bit uncomforteble with my "natural" hair. I know it sounds silly. But it will probably just be about 1 / week..and as time goes I am sure I will STOP using it at all. It is like an addict :)!!!!!!!

I just found a really great store here, that sell only natural products. I got a new schampoo and conditioner the other day. It has all good stuff in it, like different oils and herbs...it sure makes a difference on my hair. I will try only cond. like you suggested.

Letīs say I want to "style" my hair more - putting some curls in it or something. What is the best "way" to do it without damaging it so much. I sometimes would like to "bend" in the ends of my hair to a more slic look. Any advice?????

THANK YOU AGAIN everyone for all the info and advice.
/Emme

MercyD
March 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Hi Emme!

I'm growing my baby fine hair out from a pixie cut. The back is down to my shoulders and the front is just past my ears.

On the blow-drying front....having fine hair is great without a blowdryer since it doesn't take long to dry. I notice I can create more body (so it isn't so stick straight and flat) if I lift the hair around with my fingers/hand while it is drying. I just reach up when I think about it and toss my fingers through it lifting from bottom to top...it prevents me from having "flat head"

Good luck on your hair growing journey....mine hasn't been shoulder length in a good 15 years or below my shoulders in 29 years.:beerchug:

Delilah
March 27th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I had a pixie cut when I started reading LHC. My hair now is a bit thicker from the gentle care I've given it over the last 2 years, but my at BSL my bun is only about as big as an egg.
There's no magic answer to drastically thicken thin hair, you just have to accept it, and try to keep as much as possible on your head. Henna and keeping it buildup-free help the most in making it look thicker.

Isilme
March 27th, 2008, 04:20 PM
hi, another one from sweden checking in! I don't have short hair, although about half of my hair is fine. I just wanted to tell you a few things about hairproducts in sweden. First, don't expect too much, sweden is a little bit of a no man's land when it comes to hair. But if you keep your eyes open you can find nice things. Like the Herbique line someone mentioned. (cassia is the box with the girl having blonde hair btw) first, do you live in a big city? That might help a little. But generally health food stores are very good places to hunt hairthings :D If you want a nice and cheap comb, find a body shop and buy one or their big wooden combs, but be careful when washing, mine can only stand a fast rinse with cold water and I have to dry them immediately. The like to be oiled too. If you are looking for a cone free eko conditioner, go to Granit, they have a nice conditioner (but it has protein in it, boo:( ) they also have cheap chopsticks you can buy and play with;) Go to asian stores, they will often have cool chopsticks or even real hairsticks. H&M had a nice knockoff of a maximas ficcare a while ago (beware, you have to file down the seams though)
And more about products, Urtekram, I'm in love with their products, they can be found in all life stores.
If you are looking for real coconut oil, buy from Crearome, they have all kinds of oils and butters. Pretty much anything you would want to have.
Good luck!
Oh, and don't miss the group hairy people in sweden, in the social groups section:)

girlcat36
March 27th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Another fine and thin here, as you can see in my siggy. It has always been thin, but recent medical problems caused me to lose half that volume last year. If I cut my hair, it would not look better, it would only be short and thin. So I have to just accept the thinness and persevere. But it is nice to know there are others here with the same issues.

Emme76
March 28th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Thanks for all the tips! Yes, it is a bit frustrating here in Sweden, when I try to find things..Like the neutral henna - the life store here doesnīt sell it anymore (Lund) so I just orderd it online. I never saw a pic of it but it is the brand mentioned here by other swedes...So I hope it will be good :)

Since my hair is in layers it feels like the ends are so very thin. Anyone else have their hair cut in layers? Maybe a little bit of layer is good, but then the top is to short then it just looks awful. But I donīt want to cut the ends either...
Maybe in a few months I will trim the ends a little bit - just to make the layers a bit better... For me it is like I have 2 layers..one on top - and one under...the layer on top in thicker than the bottom...I think it should be the other way around...:rolleyes:!!!! I think it is cause it is growing out of itīs old Posh due...:(!!!!

I hope my cassia will get here today. I will let you know how it turns out....

Big hug to you all...
/Emme:cheese:

TessieAnn
March 28th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Hi Emme!

Just a few thoughts after reading this thread:

Your hair will feel thicker as the layers grow out. You'll find the right balance between letting the longer layer grow vs. trimming. You'll choose your priority of quicker length vs thicker ends for the next few years. You may find that your hair, when grown out some, is thicker than you thought.

What ever products you choose remember the LHC mantra to "treat your hair like antique lace." Be very gentle. Don't pile it on top of your head and scrub. Just blot it with a light touch on your towel--don't rub.

The color and shine in your hair in your avatar are beautiful! Learn to love your hair for what it is without regretting (too much) what it is not. Treat it tenderly.

Katze
March 28th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Emme, you are definitely not alone with layers making your ends thinner!

Although I joined LHC in 2006, my hair has only grown about 3-4 inches total, because I've been slowly trimming off the longest, thinnest bits. Mine is in worse shape because I bleached it, blowdryed it, and used the curling iron.

My layer on top used to be "adding volume around the top of my head" but now it is just a point where my hair stops a bit below shoulder. It's the finest, thinnest hair, too, so it is even more fragile and breaks a lot - and I can't really trim it. So I just have to wait for it to catch up with the longest layers.

Fine hair can be beautiful when it's long and healthy - look at OhioLisa, Amoretti, Nightshade, just to name a few off the top of my head - we CAN get long (despite what stylists tell us) and it can look healthy and good.

One of the hardest things for me dealing with my hair is having patience...but there is no way around it. In time, all hair will grow, and will get long on its own - I have to make myself believe this, and my experience since being here really helps.

good luck!

Katze

Emme76
March 28th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Yes, the shine has for sure changed ALOT since I joined LHC, so it is thankīs to you all. I also used to treat my hair very very bad, katze - just like you say, I bleached, colored, blowdryed, straitening...curlingiron...I used it all...up until a few weeks since I joined LHC.

I have changed my routine ALOT! And it feels great. And I keep getting really good feedback and ideas from you all. And not only about how to treat my hair but how to "feel" about it. I have hated my hair for a very long time, and it is time to stop.
Now I have shine again, for the first time since I was about 15 years old...and that is a big change :cheese:! AND I know it will get thicker without so much layers..cause on top when I feel it..it does feel alot thicker than ever before.
BUt it takes time and patience. I am not so good with the patience part :rolleyes:!!! But I will not fail this time...

hahahah...I even had a dream the other night that my hair was long. Is that a sign I spend to much time on this board..hehehe---But in the dream my hair felt GREAT!

Have a great weekende everyone.
/Emme

Emme76
March 28th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Just for a visual look..the first picture is just the day I joined LHC...and my avatar (second pic) is after all your great advice and tips! :)

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/9125/imgp5532yi2.jpghttp://img179.imageshack.us/img179/4884/imgp5555ey8.jpg

moon-flower
March 29th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Welcome Emme, I have fine and thin hair too. And that's why I wear it up most days. Since coming to LHC, I have learned many ways to take care of my hair. Lately, since Jan, I started using VO5, a non-cone conditioner, and it made my hair softer, shinnier, and less tangeled. I think my hair is in fairly good condition thought it is to my knees. Just because your hair may not be as thick as others, doesn't mean it can't look good long! My hair is fine and thin, and it only took me 5 years to grow it.

Delilah
March 31st, 2008, 12:51 AM
my hair feels much thicker now than when I had layers. I have done 1-inch or so trims straight across my back every few months for the last couple years. My goal is to have a straight blunt hemline to maximize the thick feeling.
When I started I had a razored pixie cut, so I had to deal with a LOT of layers.

Emme76
March 31st, 2008, 04:21 AM
Yes, I think it will be a big change when I get rid of my layers in the back. Does anyone experience that there is less volume, without any layers? :rolleyes:

Today I am thinking about getting some Aloe - read so much good about this stuff :)!

/Emme

lady G
April 23rd, 2008, 08:06 AM
my hair is best without layers i have had it both ways and i orefer it blunt ends, i have very fine hair and when i have it longer and layered it makes it look thinner well i think so! :)

amaiaisabella
April 23rd, 2008, 05:10 PM
Hi I just found this thread!

Layers add more definition than volume to my hair. I either get it super puffy when it's dry, or falling limp and flat when it's moisturized. I haven't hit that delicate balance yet :(

I have heard that thin/fine hair is better for updos but mine don't really hold that well yet :(

Emme76
April 24th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I will grow out my layers for sure. But every time I go to the hairdresser, they tell me that my hair is so thin and flat that I need layers. I do have very flat hair - but a bit of fluffy bangs :D might help that...or updoīs.

Maybe it wonīt look so flat if my hair is longer...I think it is cause my hair is short - it looks worse when it is flat on top. Long hair is suppose to be more flat on top!!!! I think...!!!??
DO I make any sence....lol...?!!!!

Take care
Emme