PDA

View Full Version : How have you fallen in love with long hair ? (your first "long hair crush", etc.)

Mimha
September 20th, 2014, 06:41 AM
Hello all long hair lovers around here !

I am curious to know about your love story for long hair : when "did it all begin" for you ??

For me, as a child, having long hair was the normal standard in the family for a girl. I had never thought about it as a particular choice or non-choice. It was just so, and my parents considered it as "normality" for my sister and I, to wear it around mid-back.

One day, at school, I saw a new girl with what I considered as an extraordinary opulent mane : she had similar hair as me in shape and color, but sooooo much longer (between TBL and classic) and thicker (a jaw-droping iii) !! I was completely marveled with admiration and envy !... Anytime I could, I put myself behind her in the line in order to look at her hair when she was climbing the stairs to go to her classroom. The funny thing is that I never tried to talk to her : for me, she was just THE HAIR, lol. And I started thinking that if I let my hair grow, it would also become very long and lovely floating in my back like hers, though not so thick and gorgeous. And I could also move with grace and mystery like her^^.

A few years later (I was about 13-14 year old) I saw a black and white film on TV with an actress (ac-tress, ha ha ha) who was bearing two endless incredible knee-length plaits, each of one as thick as my only one. It was a complete revelation to me : yes, princess hair did exist !! Lol.

That's how many years later, aiming at terminal length (I never was a reasonable girl^^), I had my hair to classic length (my longest ever)... but that's another story, since it happened 3 times to me, with a cut to a short bob every time in between ! :) (Which allowed me to keep a nice plaited trophy each time^^).

Looking forward to reading from your story !!

Crazy Mim'

Johannah
September 20th, 2014, 07:01 AM
I never had a real 'crush' on someones hair like you did. I cut layers and I HATED my hair, so I wanted to grow them out. My hair was bleached and it was extremely damaged. So I was searching on the internet for some tips on hair care. And then I thought: "wouldn't it be amazing when there was something like a long hair community?" So I typed 'long hair community' in google and guess what happened... :p Then I saw all these amazing pictures and I wanted to grow my hair to waist without layers. And then I wanted to grow it longer. And longer. Now my goal is 36... But it might change again ;)

dogzdinner
September 20th, 2014, 07:12 AM
I never really 'wanted' long hair when I was younger its just that I was/am incredibly shy and found my hair perfect to hide behind! The longer the hair the more hidden I felt!:o
My first hair crush was probably Daryl Hannah though....she had gorgeous floaty mermaid hair! :)

Stormynights
September 20th, 2014, 08:02 AM
This is sad, but my first long hair crush was on this forum. You never really notice long hair unless it is down. Long hair on the floor still grosses me out, so I never really liked it that long. I remember seeing a long haired lady in a crowded restaurant, her hair got caught on an elderly man walking behind her chair with a cane. The poor man didn't mean to cause an accident and I felt like she was mean to him and should have taken care of her hair in a way to prevent harm to it herself instead of expecting everyone else to watch out for it.

My hair is just a little past waist and I do like to wear it down some to show it off, but it is easier to handle in a bun.

Amapola
September 20th, 2014, 08:07 AM
When I was 7 years old a new family moved in across from us, and the little girl in that family was, to me, the most beautiful person I had ever seen. She had jet-black classic length hair to start with, eyes that were so dark they were almost black, and coffee-colored skin. Just a gorgeous little girl. I so wanted to be just like her. Of course that was never going to happen; my hair is not jet-black and never will be, and I'm an Anglo and will never have that beautiful dark skin or eyes. Also, my name was never going to be Rachel, like hers was, even though I begged my parents to change it. :( That was when I first wanted to have long hair but as a child my mother would not allow it. She always kept my hair cut very short.

Ever since I have loved the name Rachel and have loved long hair. We moved out soon after that and I never got to know that girl but I've always wondered what happened to her.

Madora
September 20th, 2014, 08:27 AM
My love affair with long hair began innocently enough..watching Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz (on tv 1958). I fell like a ton of bricks for her beautiful chestnut braids with the softly curled tassels! Of course I knew she was wearing a wig, but that didn't matter. I plaited my hair like hers and went to school the next day, and got kidded a lot "Judy, Judy, Judy". I didn't care.

And that began my love affair with long hair in films. I love classic films anyway (from the 30s and 40s) and made it a point to watch and take notes of what films featured long hair (however briefly!). So many wonderful movies:

San Francisco (1936)
The Little Princess (1939)
The Crusades (1935)
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1949)
Ivanhoe (1950s)
Stingaree (1930)
We Live Again (1935)
Adventures of Robin Hood (1939)
Prisoner of Zenda (1937)
Lady Godiva with Maureen O'Hara
And ALL the famous "Sissi" films starring Romy Schneider (the "hair" movie of all time for me)
Ludwig (with Romy reprising her role as Empress Elisabeth of Austria. There's a very beautiful long shot of her hair when she is the bedroom speaking to her sister. The camera lingers lovingly along the length. heavy sigh!)

When I wasn't watching long hair films, I scoured my public library for hair books (darn few!). When the film "10" with Bo Derek appeared and the rage for braids took wing, I haunted a local magazine dealer who carried mags from around the world. He had at least 10 American hair mags and a few European ones. Alas, I only had time to browse thru the American issues. This went on for several months until the fad for braids disappeared and content was focused on short styles again. I have a very nice collection of articles and such from that wonderful period.

I'm just nuts about long hair..and how to style it!

Zesty
September 20th, 2014, 08:41 AM
I actually started growing long hair because I had a slightly grown-out pixie when I starting dating my now-fiancé, and he said he liked hair better long. So I just let it be and got trims every once in a while and didn't really think about it at all! Then I got to MBL and the only style I knew -- a freaking ponytail -- was no longer enough to get my hair out of my way. So I starting googling long hair styles, and I kept getting directed here. And then I stumbled across Cinnamon Hair's website, beyondclassiclength.com, and I suppose that was my first hair crush, because her hair is gorgeous! And I saw that she was on the LHC and I thought, "Why am I even using Google anymore when everything I want to know about hair is on this website?" So I signed up.

Funny thing is, the fiancé's idea of "long hair" is between shoulder and APL, and he doesn't like anything longer. Too bad, I'm somewhat obsessed now.

BogwoodElf
September 20th, 2014, 10:29 AM
It's part of me. I love my hair the same way I love my body, and my personality. I have earned my self love, and my gorgeous hair is just another amazing facet of myself. If I'm ever bald, I will love my beautifully shaped head. ;) But for now, I have long hair, and it's an important part of the whole vessel that is ME. And I :love: me.

Aeris
September 20th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I think it was a combination of things for me - a ton of bad haircuts when I was a kid that led me to hate getting my hair cut (funny, I always brought in pictures of hair much longer than mine. I must have been confused as to how cutting hair = shorter hair), plus an obsession with mermaids and fantasy. I got made fun of for my hair a TON when I was young though, and the last thing I wanted was more hair for them to make fun of. It wasn't until I was in high school, and started taking care of it, that I fell in love with it and finally started growing it out.

Funny thing is, the fiancé's idea of "long hair" is between shoulder and APL, and he doesn't like anything longer. Too bad, I'm somewhat obsessed now.

I wouldn't be surprised if he grew to love it. :)

Zesty
September 20th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Well, Aeris, I was hoping it would "grow" on him (ha) but after about BSL (and up through tailbone) he complained that it was trying to strangle him and didn't like finding super long shed hairs inside his clothes. :lol: But he supports it as a hobby because he knows I like it a lot, so he hasn't criticized me too much for wanting to grow it out again.

chen bao jun
September 20th, 2014, 03:38 PM
I was always hearing as a little girl about my grandmother in a foreign country who could sit on her hair. It sounded so romantic and luscious. I didn't think it was possible for me as I didn't think it was possible for anyone but the genetically gifted. Almost everyone around me had short hair that I now realize was burned off and damaged but at the time I thought most people's hair just naturally wouldn't grow.
when I was in high school, it was the late 60's 'Mod Squad' period, I started to see some longer hair, but not very much. a few girls had waist length hair. I wanted the length but not the hair type. I've always liked my hairtype and wanted long hair that was hypercurly and not straightened--like my grandmother, something I never saw until recently. Which was when I decided to go for it.
Movies and tv never inspired me, but I was inspired by book illustrations, for years I remembered a picture of Howard Pyle's Queen Guinevere with hair to her knees--I think knee length hair is my favorite because of it...

lapushka
September 20th, 2014, 03:42 PM
I had short hair up until I was 5/6. Then I told my mom I wanted to grow my hair, because most of the girls in my class had long hair and I felt the odd one out. She, at first, didn't think I was serious but then after a year of not growing much, I refused to go to the hairdresser anymore. My mom then realized I meant it, and only got my bangs trimmed when going to the hairdresser from then on. I grew to classic by age 10/11.

jacqueline101
September 20th, 2014, 04:02 PM
When it began for me was when I joined here. I had long hair but I never really loved it. When I joined here I learned proper care, learned about hair toys, and learned what it really takes to have great hair. The reward is my man noticing how nice it looks. He will tell me not to cut, dye, or perm it. I don't intend to do these things anyways.

Avis
September 20th, 2014, 04:32 PM
I think I've always loved long hair, I just didn't know it until two years ago.

Growing up, my mom kept my hair about collarbone length (where her's is) and I never really thought about growing it out. I remember watching The Princess Bride and oogling at Robin Wright's hair. I was also majorly into Disney movies and even though their hair isn't real, I was still stunned by it. However, it never occurred to me to grow my own hair! My mom has ALWAYS had short hair (I've seen some pictures of her as a child, teen and young adult and the longest it ever was was almost APL). Both my grandmothers always had short hair and anyone else in the family would let it grow then cut it.

Then I went through a phase during high school/community college where I would grow for two years, cut it all off and donate it. The last time I donated was October 2012 and my hair was the shortest it's been since birth (fun fact: I've never been bald. I was born with a full head of hair! :laugh: ). I got bored with my short hair REALLY quickly. As I searched for long hair styles (which I couldn't do but loved watching), I realized that I cut my hair mainly because of the comments of those around me about how my hair was "too long" and "scraggly".

Now that I know how to take proper care of it, no one gives me any grief about my hair being "too long" or "scraggly" now. I'm glad I found LHC because I've found so much long hair eye candy because of it! I have SO many hair crushes here. :crush:

Marbid
September 20th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Hmmmm.... I also always loved long hair. My hair has always been somewhat long hip and past my shoulders except for a time i cut it bob cut to my ears and hated it. It was not until recently though that i thought of growing it out to the extreme..

Never thought much about the care for it since its always on my head.. I took it for granted. Thought that it being there, just there, was all there was to hair.. Now i want amazing hair...

All of my hair crushes are here in lhc...

When i was 12 there was a little 7 year old neighbor of mine, i loved her hair and always wanted to have hair like hers.. Dark, straight thick and veery long. But i just never thought it was possible for me. I just thought hair was there.. It did not improve or worsen.. Like an arm. Or some other sort of unchanging appendage.

chen bao jun
September 20th, 2014, 08:14 PM
I've never been bald either. I was born with a full head of hair and surprisingly (because these things change) it was the exact same curls that I still have. Of course I didn't know that for years. My mom started to brush them at some point and I got the inevitable frizz and everyone thought I didn't have curls anymore, even me for years and years.

Adiro
September 20th, 2014, 11:44 PM
As a child I always thought that I was not more "popular" because my mom was cutting my hair, and not in a flattering way.

Then something happened when I was 16 and I was left without my mother for the following 7 years. and I started to play with my hair. and henna, and bleach. and blue and black and perms and everything else I wanted. My hair must have started really healthy because after all kind of abuses it was still growing and kinda wild looking.
it was time of the Comunist revolution ( 1989-1990)Freedom was in the air and often so mis interpreted, I did everything crazy to my hair and I fell for the most popular guy in high school, who had long extra blond hair and was in a rock band. and he fell for me as well, and I couldn't believe that the most popular guy in school even looked at me. and he became my first boyfriend, and my first love, my first man. for three happy years. and he had long long blond hair..... and nothing was the same after him....and I never had really short hair after that, ever.

But super long hair, I started having just in the last three years, with 2 pregnancies in 3 years, and not much chemical intervention, and not a haircut at all, I managed to finally grow past mid back.:) I am at hip now, and grateful for it!

hanne jensen
September 21st, 2014, 02:42 AM
I fell in love with long hair when I was 3 years old. I saw a movie where the leading lady had a crown braid. I've wanted a braid long enough to wrap around my head ever since.

Begemot
September 21st, 2014, 04:54 AM
Can't remember when and why it started but I have had crushes on long haired guys ever since I was a little girl :blushing:
When I was considering a pixie cut my mum would tell me that long hair suited me better than short hair. I guess that affected me on some level. As a teenager my hair wouldn't grow very long because I abused it with heat and coloring so later on it was pretty amazing to be able to grow my hair over apl. It felt sort of magical and special. At that time I also happened to find an old photo of me when I was about 12 years old and had beautiful wl virgin hair. That inspired me to grow my hair back.

Purdy Bear
September 21st, 2014, 09:53 AM
I didn't have long hair until I was about 5 when my Aunt nagged my mother to let it grow long. I had knee length hair after that and various lengths bra strap and lower until my late teens when I cut it off. I then went through the long and short cycle until I finally lost 99% of it about 2004. It was only after that happened that I truely fell in love with my hair, funny isnt it, its the typical thing that you don't know what you've got until you lost it thing.

I did love long hair on others and it had to be Jane Seymour as Solitaire that did it for me!

Agnes Hannah
September 21st, 2014, 10:00 AM
I guess it's been in my blood, when I was very young, I used to feel my short fine locks and wonder where my long hair had gone. Mum used to say that it was fine and would not grow long. I couldn't understand this. Years later, I found a photo of my great grandmother with her hair in two thick braids coiled over her ears. That is when I understood, it was inherited. That is where my love of long hair came from. I used to look in awe at Crystal Gayle's hair, and whilst at nursery school, there was a young woman working there who had BSL blonde hair, it was shiny and soft looking. I would always sneak into her classroom just to get close to her so I could see her hair. It mesmerised me. I bumped into her years later and she still remembered me.

StellaKatherine
September 21st, 2014, 10:21 AM
I never had a long hair crush as such. I would say my love for the long hair comes from my grandmother even though her hair was short when she was stil alive. But she tried all the best to keep my hair long, washed it, combed and braided. I remember her telling me such things like " A hair is the girl's crown" " My hair was so long once that I could put it all the way around my head..". I think those moments affected me more than I would have ever guessed. She fight many battles with my mom to make sure my hair stayed long. Then later I "fight" my own battles. My hair has always been long (shortest at age of 5 when when my granny lost the battle and I got a pixie cut at a hairdresser).

AlKhazzaR
September 21st, 2014, 11:03 AM
Mine love towards long hair (and even more long braids! ) came from watching beautiful Indian hair photos. They're still most inspiring thing for me possible, mine baby fine strands seems to dream for impossible, but that put me into action so I believe it's good in some matter.Actually even before seeing all of them wanted to have longer (but not pure long) hair, just due slow growth and breakage wasn't able to reach them but it has changed within last year.I believe long hair adds some mystery and lots of femine look to women.

SnottyDotty
September 21st, 2014, 11:37 AM
Now that I think about it my first hair crushes aren't real people :whistle: but I somewhat put that down to not really knowing anyone with long hair so it wasn't really anything I thought about or noticed on other people.

That changed when I saw The Little Mermaid when I was 11. Even then it wasn't necessarily the hair I fell in love with it was the fact that it was an integral part of the mermaid character. Red being my favourite colour also helped.

My next hair crush was Lara Croft from Tomb Raider, which was my favourite game at the time and is still one of my favourite games and franchises since. Again it was less to do with just loving her hair and more with wishing to emulate her in general (except for two *ahem* obvious ways.)

Maybe I associate long hair with freedom and adventure, who knows :)

Long_hair_bear
September 21st, 2014, 03:15 PM
For me, it started when I realized that Tolkien's elves don't have short hair; it simply isn't done! I love elves and relate to them a lot, and I also have many elf dresses. Long hair just looks more elvish and beautiful in my opinion. Its also a sign of patience. My hair takes ALOT of and wears on my patience.

SnowbirdRose
September 21st, 2014, 04:11 PM
I remember watching my great-grandmother un-braid her hair, brush it, and put it back in a braid. Her braid was past tbl. I thought she, and her braid, was so beautiful.

Breanna
September 21st, 2014, 08:19 PM
I always had long hair when I was young but didn't really think anything of it, and in my freshman year of high school I got a Joan Jett haircut (sounds cool but I could NOT pull it off lol), and then kept cutting it shorter and shorter to a "Shaggy" and then a very poorly done pixie, then it grew to shoulder and I got a cute asymmetrical haircut. I became friends with a guy who became my first boyfriend recently and I remember one time about two or so years ago we were hanging out and he mentioned that he loved long hair and I had never actually thought about it before then. So I guess since he brought it up I sort of realized how neat long hair really is, and at the same time saw that short hair didn't fit my face very well, so I started trying to grow it. And I started noticing these two certain girls in school with extremely beautiful waist length hair, one blonde and one jet black. I would always stare at them just amazed at how cute they were, and I think that's also when I started realizing that I'm attracted to girls as well as men. So I got both a love of hair along with a newly bloomed sexuality :) yay for me! So now I'm still growing and growing and my boyfriend is supporting me and getting excited with me at all my milestones, it's been a really fun journey.

Teazel
September 21st, 2014, 11:39 PM
Ludwig (with Romy reprising her role as Empress Elisabeth of Austria. There's a very beautiful long shot of her hair when she is the bedroom speaking to her sister. The camera lingers lovingly along the length. heavy sigh!)

I just looked that movie up on YouTube and found that scene you mentioned, Madora. What an incredible mane! :thud: I'd love to know the actress's hair care routine.

Santi
September 22nd, 2014, 12:00 AM
I've always loved long hair on others. The longest I let my hair grow was below bsl. I've had it like that curly & straight w/ perms.
I've never had any hair crushes but always envied women w/ long curly hair b/c I never felt comfortable w/ my own.
I am in the first chapter of my (hair) love story. I like the direction my story is going in & I refuse to put the book down!

Welcome to LHC, Mimha. :)

fiðrildi
September 22nd, 2014, 05:42 AM
I've always loved long hair, for as long as I can remember. When I was little, my mum was the one to wash my hair and look after it, and I had shoulder length until I was 7, always asking my mother to let my hair grow longer, but she would always say "when you grow older". At the age of 6-7, I got my first magazine, and saw a girl about 2 years older than me, who had waist-hip length (I can't remember the picture exactly), that was almost jet black, and straight. I felt in love with that picture, and obsessed over it for some time. My hair was shoulder length at that time, light blonde, and wavy, so it was the opposite to the hair I wanted to have :p

I have always been kind of obsessed about fantasy and medieval stuff, but one of my first hair crushes was Lana Headey's as Guinevere, in 1998 Merlin.
I have had hundreds of long hair crushes, including LHC people :rolleyes:

Ting32
September 22nd, 2014, 05:56 AM
I used to chew my hair when I was a kid, so my mother would cut it off. My brother still calls me mushroomhead :)
It's the running joke in the family. I looked like a boy..
All I wanted was long hair, all the girls in school had long hair..
When I went to highschool I promised I wouldn't chew it anymore and grew it to WL. By then I was the only one left with long hair because the other girls took on more 'cool' hairstyles. Didn't matter to me, I love my long hair! I cut it off to chin when I started working and regretted it so much, It's just part of me.. All better now, back at WL :)

Knifegill
September 22nd, 2014, 09:28 AM
When I think back, my dad often had very long hair. But I was used to it. I think the first time a guy with long hair really caught my attention and made me think of having long hair was when Willow came out.

Val Kilmer in Willow
http://www.celebrity8x10s.com/images/st/full/9757.jpg

But my idiot mom forced me to wear it Steven Segal style, so I always hated it. I think back, and I'm pretty sure she was trying to make me hate it.

RileyJane
September 23rd, 2014, 08:56 AM
Hmmm I believe not to sound vain it was myself! I had hip length hair for most of my life, then cut it into a bob in my teens bc that was the look(not so good on me) a few years later I was trying to grow it back out and stumbled upon old photos of myself with long hair and everything good about it flooded back.. The flowing in the wind feeling, the ponytail/weapon, and just the ability to use it as a jacket when cold etc. Also after searching long hair for a bit I realized this is what I wanted again :) and let's just say society's pressure of how short my hair should be hasn't bothered me since ! Now my hair idol is a friend from high school who has glorious waist length hair

Federica
September 24th, 2014, 02:35 AM
First hair sight I remember is my mother.
She had beautiful waist lenght wavy hair, and when I was a little girl my hair goal was reach her lenght.
Then I met a girl in my class in elementary school, she had stunning red wavy hair that reached her butt (I think she was at TBL) she always wore it down, and I was always staring at it during the lessons :D
Also my babysitter had straight, honey blond classic lenght hair, and my granma had silver knee lenght hair, always in a big braided bun which kinda hypnotize me when I was a child.
I think that all these people are guilty for my obsession :D

Fira
September 24th, 2014, 08:00 AM
I have had a few hair crushes. I don't know how and where it began but for as long as I can remember I have wanted to have long hair but have never gotten there - yet (only to BSL). I've had a pixie only twice in my life (and it looked good) but I just like having hair at least past my shoulders. That's where it's been stuck most of my life (just past my shoulders).

The first person with long hair that I remember was my grandmother. She was almost 70 years old when I was born, so she had grey hair and it wasn't super long, "just" about mid back to waist. When I was still very young and I spent a lot of time at her (and grandfather's) place (we lived next door) I remember she would undo her braid, comb her hair, braid it again and put the braid in a bun. She always wore it like that. I liked to look at her do that and admired her braidwaves. I would go to see her early in the morning to see her comb and braid her hair.

Years later, when I was about 13 years old, I was at another school for some competition thing and I saw a girl there who had the most gorgeous curls! I have curly hair but not like that! She had beautiful brown hair that was completely straight on her head but from shoulders to mid back they curled and at the end she had these super curly gorgeous perfect little ringlets!! (I will try to find a picture of it and post it when I can.) When I saw her and her hair all I could do is stare at it. The funny thing is a year or two later we both went to high school, ended up in the same class and became best friends. She is just as beautiful person as her hair is. I wonder if I ever told her about my hair crush?! :o (I will have to tell her next time I see her - she lives in a different country now and I don't see her much, and she cut her hair - she has a pixie now. But she is still a beautiful woman.)

Over the last ten years or so my hair crush has been Margherita Missoni. (Look her up if you haven't heard of her.) She had cut her hair to a bob a couple of years ago but has grown it since and probably has about BSL now. But I just keep looking at her waist length hair. Seems like she is growing it out again. :D

Also I have some new hair crushes from The LHC. :o

MidnightMoon
September 24th, 2014, 08:46 AM
My inspiration was Amy Lee.
I would spend hours looking at her concerts with her long hair down, like this one back from 2004 in Lisbon I believe.

http://evanescence_rock.zip.net/images/amylee5.jpg

Her hair is naturally wavy and puffy, too, and I could relate to the thickness and colour (mine is dark and dyed black, and not very thick).
I also like her features but I guess achieving her hair is easier than getting green eyes and such a nice nose xP.

Eastbound&Down
September 24th, 2014, 12:32 PM
My hairspiration was always Pochohantas, although as a blonde, curly haired, blued eyed kid I could never look like her but I loved the way her hair flowed in the wind. When I was little and my mom kept it short for convinence, but once I was old enough to say for myself (around 8-9) she never pressured me to keep it short and I let it grow to TBL by the end of high school. Then I cut it into a pixie and then a bob at the beginning of this year. On my way back to my flowy TBL hair once again :)

zellfaze
September 24th, 2014, 12:58 PM
When I was young I wasn't allowed to grow my hair out, though over my teen years I was able to progressively get it a little bit longer every year. I think for the most part at the time I mostly wanted long hair because I wasn't allowed to, though before she cut it, one of my best friends used to have HL hair and it was one of the most beautiful sets of hair I've ever seen. Since I've been able to grow it out, I've really fallen for it. Now I can't imagine myself any other way.

I love how long hair just sort of waves around in the wind and how soft and pretty it can be. Hopefully one of these days I will have hair past my knees.

AmberJewel
September 24th, 2014, 01:26 PM
My first hair crush was probably my sister. He hair is thick and grows so much quicker than mine. When we were about 11 and 12 her hair was past classic. Mine, on the other hand, mom always kept cut around shoulder length. I always wanted long, thick hair, but mom apparently thought my hair wasn't healthy and needed cut because it was so fine..? My sister has since cut her hair back above waist. It still looks good on her but it's strange to me that mine is longer.

I now get lots of hair inspiration just being on LHC!

Mimha
September 24th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Dear all,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your nice long hair love stories !! I enjoyed very much reading them, and I hope you too ! :) :) :)

I am surprised to see how many of you were not allowed to keep their hair long when school girls ! In my family, my father would have been mad if my mother had cut her hair or had cut ours. One day, I asked her to have my hair cut because I was reading "The Famous Five" and I wanted to look like Georgina Kirrin who was a tomboy. I still remember how terrible I looked when the hairdresser had cut my hair (not at all looking like GK !!!) I was so disappointed and my father was absolutely mad against my mother and me, saying I was disfigured, lol.

ladyfey
September 24th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Mine was a dancer with super long black hair on a show that most of you are way too young to know - Solid Gold. It was a music/dance show, cheesy as heck. I loved it when I was a kid!

dancingrain91
September 24th, 2014, 07:19 PM
I never had a long hair crush as such. I would say my love for the long hair comes from my grandmother even though her hair was short when she was stil alive. But she tried all the best to keep my hair long, washed it, combed and braided. I remember her telling me such things like " A hair is the girl's crown" " My hair was so long once that I could put it all the way around my head..". I think those moments affected me more than I would have ever guessed. She fight many battles with my mom to make sure my hair stayed long. Then later I "fight" my own battles. My hair has always been long (shortest at age of 5 when when my granny lost the battle and I got a pixie cut at a hairdresser).

I had a similiar experience. My grandma loves to brush and braid my hair and I have never had hair too short for her to play with.

Fira
September 25th, 2014, 04:14 AM
Dear all,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your nice long hair love stories !! I enjoyed very much reading them, and I hope you too ! :) :) :)

I am surprised to see how many of you were not allowed to keep their hair long when school girls ! In my family, my father would have been mad if my mother had cut her hair or had cut ours. One day, I asked her to have my hair cut because I was reading "The Famous Five" and I wanted to look like Georgina Kirrin who was a tomboy. I still remember how terrible I looked when the hairdresser had cut my hair (not at all looking like GK !!!) I was so disappointed and my father was absolutely mad against my mother and me, saying I was disfigured, lol.

I was reading that book too, and wanted to be just like "George"... :cool:
Probably one of the times when I was growing my hair long and then started to read that and cut it - I did that a lot in the past. :o

Lady Katherine
September 25th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Dear all,

I am surprised to see how many of you were not allowed to keep their hair long when school girls ! In my family, my father would have been mad if my mother had cut her hair or had cut ours. One day, I asked her to have my hair cut because I was reading "The Famous Five" and I wanted to look like Georgina Kirrin who was a tomboy. I still remember how terrible I looked when the hairdresser had cut my hair (not at all looking like GK !!!) I was so disappointed and my father was absolutely mad against my mother and me, saying I was disfigured, lol. My dad was just the same way! I had long waist length hair almost my whole life. Except for when I was 14 and I cut my hair to APL to be "rebellious." I kept it that way for a few years but not I'm at hip yay! My first hair crush was this one girl I knew that had thick, black classic length hair. Even though she went away, she's still my hair idol!

Mimha
October 15th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Just wanted to bump this old thread of mine, as a lot of newcomers have arrived since it died out.

Looking forward to reading some new hair love stories ! :) :)

DollyDagger
October 15th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Since always ...As a youngster in the 70's there was long hair everywhere! :) Loved it then and always everafter..

Hairkay
October 15th, 2015, 03:24 PM
I guess that would have to been when I was 12 and there was a girl in the school with what looked like 3c hair past her butt, BCL. Her usual style was one plait/braid down the back. It started off thick as a wrist and eventually started to taper at her hip. I especially noticed when she had it done in small cornrows. I wondered just how long it took to have plait all of that up. I see a lot of women sporting BCL braided/cornrow extensions but the very first person I'd ever seen with that hairstyle at BCL was a black long haired natural.

AZDesertRose
October 15th, 2015, 08:26 PM
My first hair idol was probably Crystal Gayle, followed by the ladies from the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. :)

There was also a girl in my elementary school who had about hip-length hair (I don't think it had ever been seriously cut, trimmed maybe but not cut, because we were only about six years old at the time). I wanted long hair but my mom wouldn't let me grow it (largely because she had no idea what to do with long hair), but as soon as I was in charge of my own hair, long it grew. I've cut it short and done various things with it but I keep coming back to long hair. I doubt I'll ever take it shorter than shoulder/APL again.

ReadingRenee
October 15th, 2015, 08:45 PM
This has been a fun thread to read and it made me remember my first two long hair idols. They both had completely different hair types than me. The first was when I was about 5. I had a neighbor friend who had the most gorgeous thick straight shiny black hair. It was what we call classic length and I was in awe. I had never seen hair that long before. I told my mom I wanted to grow my hair as long as hers but that never ended up happening with my frequent trims. My second hair idol was when I was in third grade. I had a friend from church who once again had long dark completely straight shiny hair past her waist. My hair was really long too at that point but it was not straight and shiny. I remember after having a sleep over at my house with her that I went into the bathroom and coated my hair with mousse. Trying to straighten it like my friends. It didn't work. :lol:

missrandie
October 15th, 2015, 09:33 PM
I grew up having very long (for my area) hair. Mom had long hair, I had long hair, dad had "long" hair (enough for me to learn how to braid on), so it was a family culture.

spidermom
October 15th, 2015, 10:41 PM
In 6th or 7th grade, there was a girl in my class with dark, classic-length hair. I loved it so much! She used to tease the crown to make it stand up high.

I always wanted hair like hers but never developed the patience to leave my hair alone and let it grow until my mid-40s. I wish I hadn't waited so long! Long hair is better than any style I've tried.

Mirabele
October 16th, 2015, 01:34 AM
i had always liked long hair as long as i remember myself. i was just brainwashed by my mother and grandmother that i can not have long hair myself because my hair is "poor and weak" (=thin + fine). it had some or another way happened that i got into natural hair care and oiling and found LHC. i got inspired and learned a lot about long hair care. i also found out that my hair isn't really very fine or very thin, and that with proper care i can try to have it long. i really wonder why it took me so many years to get my own opinion about my own hair and push away my mothers and grandmothers voices out of my head, but better later than never.
i am still not a fan of very long hair, waist or hip seems the perfect lenght to me.

Shia
October 16th, 2015, 01:40 AM
I have always had long hair, but cut it short when I started Uni and moved out of home. Since then I have grown and chopped a few times, but never found anything I liked as much as my long hair. Tangled was the clincher, and Lord of the Rings/Game of Thrones is my constant inspiration. I want my princess hair back!

*ReiKa*
October 16th, 2015, 03:59 AM
A picture on Facebook inspired me, I can't forget it!
It was a picture of a woman sitting in the car with super beautiful brown long hair. I fell in love straight away and thought "I'm gonna grow my hair that long!".
And I did :o

Jadestorm
October 16th, 2015, 05:03 AM
For me, it all started as a little girl with my fairytale books. The drawings were amazing and almost all girls had beautiful and very long hair in them. Especially the ones in my favorite fairytales. (Rumpelstilskin, Rapunzel and Cinderella)
So, I always really wanted long hair, but as a kid I wasn't allowed to have long hair. It wasn't until I kept nagging about it (and kept demanding my parents to buy me more and more bath pearls for every inch that they wanted to cut off my hair - the hair dresser sold bath pearls too, lol) that I was allowed to grow it longer. I've never had it short again since.

turtlelover
October 16th, 2015, 12:49 PM
One of my biggest hair crushes was one of my teachers that I had for 3 years in elementary school. She had thick, gorgeous, shiny dark brown hair past her waist that she would wear in braids a lot. One time she threatened to cut her hair, and I remember being sooooo upset because I loved her hair so much! There was also a youth pastor's wife when I was a little bit older, but still in elementary school with amazing tailbone length hair. I used to like to sit with her in church and play with her long hair, and I thought that it reminded me of a chocolate waterfall! I remember being really sad when she finally cut a lot of it off. *sigh*

Oh, I also loved Nicolette Larson's hair when I was little! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXfROqR_p1A

Seeshami
October 16th, 2015, 10:39 PM
I wanted it long since middle school but bad influence friends made it impossible and always convinced me to cut. The boys who were friends always wanted it long and my girl friends always convinced me to cut it off oh geee i wonder why? :rollin: I remember when i cut the braid off and all five of the boys mourned my braid for a week it was hilarious. Next I had an obsession with it being long enough to pull over my shoulder and in the ultimate act of defiance against my looks and myself to prove to others I wasn't letting their opinions matter any more I hacked it off. Muffin came a long and encouraged me to grow long and when i get insecure about it he encourages me to keep growing and keep it long.

Frankenstein
October 16th, 2015, 11:41 PM
I first fell in love with long hair at the age of 6, seeing Princess Leia in Star Wars. She made me want to be a brunette so bad! My second long hair crush was Marilyn Burns in Texas Chainsaw Massacre; I was 10. I never actually considered growing out my hair until I was about 12 or 13, oddly enough. I promised my 7th grade boyfriend I wouldn't cut my hair and let it grow long :lol: That's where my venture into long hair really began. Once it got to about BSL/waist I realized I loved the "70s" look it gave me that I had always wanted so I kept it (until bleach forced me to start over, but I'm back on track now).

AutobotsAttack
October 17th, 2015, 01:17 AM
Well ive just always run across long haired people all my life so ive always aspired to have long hair, but being younger I didn't really have any knowledge on how to go about properly moisturizing, oiling, and protecting my hair just yet.

red autumn
October 17th, 2015, 07:23 AM
i remember watching the english patient on television, and when Kip Singh, the sikh, take of his turban, i powerfully felt something, not an attraction, just the pure beauty of hair, free, as a part of the body, and not combed, dyed or "civilised", like ironed or something like that. just hair.

i also lived in Brocéliande, the breton forest of King Arthur, Viviane and Merlin, and the people, there, are very aware of this roots, the legends and a certain way of living; calm, natural, free and, well, just the pure beauty of living. this is something i want to live for, and my air is something very important to me; be free and grow. you're part of the body. don't forget your roots as a human beeing.

Alastríona
October 17th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Jadestorm, you've got me thinking. I read books constantly and a lot of them were fairytales. I think that must be where I got my interest from! Nobody I knew had long hair. Not that I ever wanted to be Rapunzel - gee that would hurt!!

PalomaSincera
October 17th, 2015, 08:25 PM
I had a hair crush too. Julia Ormond in Legends of the Fall.

I also like this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3fHsaozYAU

LongCurlyTress
May 24th, 2017, 12:12 PM
I had a hair crush too. Julia Ormond in Legends of the Fall.

I also like this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3fHsaozYAU

I love Julia Ormond too in that movie and I do love this video you posted! :) But I must admit, it did make me a bit sad since I miss my length so much...:( My hair is alot like Julia Ormond's hair in Legend of the Fall...or rather it was like hers...:(

I love Nicolette Larson too Turlelover!
Oh, I also loved Nicolette Larson's hair when I was little! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXfROqR_p1A

enting
May 24th, 2017, 05:31 PM
I always wanted long hair, but as far as a specific hair crush, well! There was a girl in my classes in college who had perfectly straight, dark, shiny hair down to her butt. It was probably BCL or TBL but I didn't have that vocabulary then. She always wore it completely down, uncontained in any way. It would sway with her movements and was simply mesmerizing.

I once asked her what she does for it/to it. All she said she did was cut off one centimeter by herself every new moon. I could not believe it. I didn't understand how her hair could be so long and wonderful and mine stopped at midback length and was super tangly and frizzy.

Of course I understand in retrospect. Her hair was naturally straight and not kinky. She essentially microtrimmed for maintenance. And her hair was not very fragile. Mine is curly/wurly, half of it is kinky, it's very fragile, and I hadn't yet learned how to trim my own hair or understand why microtrimming works. My hair is never going to look like hers, but I think I can find my own hair's beauty. But wow, hers was something else.

JJP
May 26th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Amy Lee Hartzler (lead singer of Evanescence and -in my humble opinion- instrumentalist/producer extraordinaire!) :)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/c0b_tKFeBD8oiKEBde856UHHsDAdomSPvTOuquFP9Mh1UXLctV dog5HKKinDkv1cEWUE-azFFp-c6PRaseyjGtwD_JbA7mPrFznCs2tgcTbNGAWMd9li_Dy-6v7C1QiVuP8YSWPuPwWu1SNkDzmWcrbrA5deun4=w443-h332-nc

enting
May 27th, 2017, 12:17 PM
JJP I just have an everything crush on Amy Lee. I found out she sews her performance outfits also and I went head over heels :)

spidermom
May 27th, 2017, 12:32 PM
I just re-read my remark from 2015, and I feel so differently now. Having had it for about 15 years, long hair is "so last decade" for me now, and I'm always on the lookout for a haircut I like. My hair is a little shorter than my signature picture, and I have my eye on a cut even shorter than that.

Dark40
May 27th, 2017, 07:43 PM
Hello all long hair lovers around here !

I am curious to know about your love story for long hair : when "did it all begin" for you ??

For me, as a child, having long hair was the normal standard in the family for a girl. I had never thought about it as a particular choice or non-choice. It was just so, and my parents considered it as "normality" for my sister and I, to wear it around mid-back.

One day, at school, I saw a new girl with what I considered as an extraordinary opulent mane : she had similar hair as me in shape and color, but sooooo much longer (between TBL and classic) and thicker (a jaw-droping iii) !! I was completely marveled with admiration and envy !... Anytime I could, I put myself behind her in the line in order to look at her hair when she was climbing the stairs to go to her classroom. The funny thing is that I never tried to talk to her : for me, she was just THE HAIR, lol. And I started thinking that if I let my hair grow, it would also become very long and lovely floating in my back like hers, though not so thick and gorgeous. And I could also move with grace and mystery like her^^.

A few years later (I was about 13-14 year old) I saw a black and white film on TV with an actress (ac-tress, ha ha ha) who was bearing two endless incredible knee-length plaits, each of one as thick as my only one. It was a complete revelation to me : yes, princess hair did exist !! Lol.

That's how many years later, aiming at terminal length (I never was a reasonable girl^^), I had my hair to classic length (my longest ever)... but that's another story, since it happened 3 times to me, with a cut to a short bob every time in between ! :) (Which allowed me to keep a nice plaited trophy each time^^).

Looking forward to reading from your story !!

Crazy Mim'

Yeah, me too also has had long hair since childhood!!! And, has also always loved having it since then. When I was a 11 years old attending this church I saw a girl with beautiful ankle length hair!!! It was a little lighter in color than mine but she reminded me so much of the longtime country singer, "Crystal Gayle!!!!" Then, when I started going to high school around the age of 14 years old I met this really good girlfriend of mine with curly "Hip Length Hair," and it was gorgeous!!! My jaws also had dropped to the floor, and we both met at this skating rink, and we just started talking and skating together. We both hit it off really well!!! Then, the next following school year after we met we both came back to school for another year, and she came to school with it all straightened out!!! All of her curls were gone!!!! I was in total shock!!! She still had all of her hip length hair but it was GORGEOUS!!!! And, throughout that year I continued to hang with her, and be good friends with her. But after that school year she had graduated, an moved to another state.:( So, I had lost contact with her. But for many years I had always admired her hair!!! And both me and her had similar hair color also!!!

mira-chan
May 27th, 2017, 07:49 PM
No one specific. It was more cultural. Having long hair was very common for girls in Russia at the time I was growing up. I on the other hand had short hair until 6 years old because I didn't like to comb it. I wanted long hair like many of the rest, and was allowed to grow it only if I combed it or let mom do it. At about 6 years old the want of long hair won over hate of the comb. :D

esfand
May 27th, 2017, 07:50 PM
Emichiee was my first long hair crush, and then JJJ Longhair. :)

Dark40
May 28th, 2017, 04:09 PM
One of my biggest hair crushes was one of my teachers that I had for 3 years in elementary school. She had thick, gorgeous, shiny dark brown hair past her waist that she would wear in braids a lot. One time she threatened to cut her hair, and I remember being sooooo upset because I loved her hair so much! There was also a youth pastor's wife when I was a little bit older, but still in elementary school with amazing tailbone length hair. I used to like to sit with her in church and play with her long hair, and I thought that it reminded me of a chocolate waterfall! I remember being really sad when she finally cut a lot of it off. *sigh*

I also had an elementary teacher with hip length dirty blonde hair, and it was pin-straight. I really admired her hair. I don't know what it looks like today. I haven't seen her since 7th grade.

marvel-lover
May 28th, 2017, 05:28 PM
I guess it wasn't more of a real person whose hair I had a crush on, but a fictional person from a book I read who had hip length blonde hair. Actually, all the ladies from the book series had long hair, sooooo I think that makes me weird that I had hair crushes on fictional people. Although, I have seen some beautiful hair on ladies on Pinterest and in real life, so that also contributed to my wanting long hair.

WildandSeawhite
May 28th, 2017, 06:31 PM
I think I first really fell for long hair watching The Last Unicorn when I was little. It has always been my favorite movie. I loved the way Lady Amalthea's hair draped her body, almost like an elegant cape, and the way it moved in the animation. Japanese animation always captures stuff like that so beautifully!

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/923/CnUytd.jpg

There was also a girl in my class in grade school who had long, thick, gorgeous hair that was a really pretty honey blonde. She always had the nicest clothes, and her mom always did her hair very neatly in all kinds of clever styles. I think her hair was waist length, probably 1b or 1c, and very glossy. We became close friends, but I always felt very inadequate around her. She has always been one of the prettiest people I've ever met, and I wished I had hair like hers. I stayed at her house a lot and would sometimes go to church with her and her family. Her mom curled her and her sister's hair for church. She tried to curl mine, and at that age, my hair wouldn't hold a curl for very long. It would just fall flat after a few minutes, and they made fun of me for it. :(

My hair has never been longer than mid-back length (when I was 9), because I didn't like my hair until recently. When I was a kid, it was pale blonde, very very straight and fine, but a lot of it, and as I got older, it kept getting more frizzy. I didn't understand how to style it, so I just kept cutting it to my shoulders or above. Growing it to my hips will be a first for me! :)

giraff
December 10th, 2019, 02:55 PM
I thought about this earlier today. All though her hair isn't extremely long, it's longer than mine has ever been. For many years, I've wanted to have hair like Kate Middleton (or are you supposed to write Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, maybe?

Her longer hair days are definitely my hair inspiration. Her hair looks so elegant, thick and lovely. I think in a couple of years, I could have that kind of hair. Would help a lot with a personal hair stylist as well, of course.

0xalis
December 10th, 2019, 03:01 PM
My mom has always loved long hair, so she got with my dad who is a longhair. And then she encouraged me to grow mine as a kid.
I have to admit, I was a sucker for Rapunzel, too.

Not exactly my First hair crush but I remember vividly this girl who went to my highschool who had knee-length hair and wore it basically down
(in a style I call a "mermaid tail", a ponytail secured toward the ends of the hair.) and that was around the time I joined TLHC. So running into her was always a treat...
She was a grade or two higher than me so we didn't have any classes together, but we both took Japanese so sometimes she'd still be talking to Sensei after lunch when we came in!

jane_marie
December 10th, 2019, 03:09 PM
I think I feel in love with hair in 1989 when I went to the theatre with my mom and saw this...

https://media2.giphy.com/media/wyBgDLV8npTnG/source.gif

giraff
December 10th, 2019, 03:29 PM
My mom has always loved long hair, so she got with my dad who is a longhair. And then she encouraged me to grow mine as a kid.
I have to admit, I was a sucker for Rapunzel, too.

Not exactly my First hair crush but I remember vividly this girl who went to my highschool who had knee-length hair and wore it basically down
(in a style I call a "mermaid tail", a ponytail secured toward the ends of the hair.) and that was around the time I joined TLHC. So running into her was always a treat...
She was a grade or two higher than me so we didn't have any classes together, but we both took Japanese so sometimes she'd still be talking to Sensei after lunch when we came in!

I remember we had ONE girl with long hair at my school. It was knee length, if I remember correctly. She had naturally platinum blonde hair, and it was very thin. People used to joke that the last half a meter was see-through.. That's when I cut my hair into a bob. I didn't want that long hair..

Zesty
December 10th, 2019, 04:51 PM
My original answer stands. :o Additionally, I find it interesting that so many of you were into long hair in childhood. It wasn't really on my radar until college. Maybe because I didn't think it was realistic for me until I hit waist ish.

bparnell75
December 10th, 2019, 04:53 PM
In Jr High School. One of the girls in my class was a ballerina and had tailbone length lovely shiny bright red hair. It would flow and swirl when she danced. I often drooled over her hair.

humble_knight
December 10th, 2019, 05:12 PM
How?Via a book of world fairytales I was given for my 7th birthday. It had the story of Rapunzel of course, but also many other stories where a female character had long hair. I think from then on, I associated long hair with mystery and intrigue. Soon after, I developed a crush on the most popular girl in my class. She had long blonde hair just shy of classic length. We never spoke. She was always too busy with the cool children.

0xalis
December 10th, 2019, 09:08 PM
I remember we had ONE girl with long hair at my school. It was knee length, if I remember correctly. She had naturally platinum blonde hair, and it was very thin. People used to joke that the last half a meter was see-through.. That's when I cut my hair into a bob. I didn't want that long hair..

I hate how rude kids are... I hope she isn't scared away from long hair now because of those jokes :(
I know I would have been. I wonder if the thinness came from genetics or lack of proper care...
I had a friend with classic length hair because she never cut it but it was not in great condition.
Unfortunately the things we learn about hair care outside of LHC are generally not that great... And many people don't know about LHC :(

Ylva
December 11th, 2019, 12:31 AM
I've never had any particular experience of falling in love with long hair. I was a tomboy through and through, and a part of that was not particularly caring about my looks in any princess kind of manner. My hair just grew and existed and that was that. I've gone through periods where I was more ambitious regarding looks, but it never lasts. I have long hair because it's more "me" than anything else is. It has nothing to do with feeling feminine or anything like that.

SleepyTangles
December 11th, 2019, 02:34 AM
In my family kids always got short, practical cuts. But I like art, and fantasy books, so I got quickly fascinated by long hair.
Had to wait until 11 yo to have "my" preferred haircut, but It never got much past shoulder as I wasn't taking good care of It. Only at 20 I stumbled upon LHC... and the rest is hairstory.

giraff
December 11th, 2019, 05:11 AM
I hate how rude kids are... I hope she isn't scared away from long hair now because of those jokes :(
I know I would have been. I wonder if the thinness came from genetics or lack of proper care...
I had a friend with classic length hair because she never cut it but it was not in great condition.
Unfortunately the things we learn about hair care outside of LHC are generally not that great... And many people don't know about LHC :(

I think she still has long hair.. She never cut it, that's why it was in a bad condition.

0xalis
December 11th, 2019, 05:12 AM
I think she still has long hair.. She never cut it, that's why it was in a bad condition.

Yep, thought as much. I need a t shirt so I can be a LHC walking advertisement :p

lxtcrxlly
January 19th, 2020, 12:07 PM
My hair has never been long to me, and I was always made to cut it growing up. I fell in love with long hair because I roleplay a lot and I put a lot of effort into an OC that I made, she had beautiful long blue hair and I made it one of my goals to have hair just like it. I know it sounds kind of silly, and I usesd to wear wigs but it's so unsatisfying when it's not your real hair that you grew yourself! Plus, anybody can buy a wig, but it's something worth being more proud of when you spent so many years patiently taking care of your hair and watching it slowly move past all the various lengths.

desisparkles
January 19th, 2020, 01:59 PM
Cher, all the way. I crushed on her hair and color. I went blue black for a while because I felt I just needed to do it to get it out of my system finally. That's the last color I ever dyed my hair and I kept it that way for years.

Now I crush every time I go to the beach. Women here wear their thick hair long - I'd say classic is pretty common and so many keep it dye free. I always want to go up and compliment and I'd say more than half of the time I do. If they are totally in family time I don't as I don't want to interrupt but even at that it's so hard not to say something. It's probably obvious how I stare and smile or I'm just that creepy lady.

Groovy Granny
January 19th, 2020, 03:48 PM
I never 'fell in love' with long hair :hmm:

I was forced to keep it short until my Freshman year of HS; then I grew it out to WL+....it was 'Hippie' season and we were all becoming free spirits :rockerdud:

My hair was parted in the middle in the 60's and 70's, and aside from a ponytail it was never styled....oh.....and a flipped braid worn under my nurses cap ;)
Occasionally I did a top ponytail and curled it with soup cans overnight for some curl :lol:
We had BRECK shampoo and no conditioners, so it was squeaky clean with frizzy curls until it settled back down during the week :p

I had various cuts and lengths in the 80's and 90's and only grew it back out when I hit 61 and was going silver in an attempt to tame my 2 different textures.

I have seen/admired and been inspired by plenty of long silver manes online the past 7 years, but have had no real crushes :hmm:

Now I enjoy my hair with all the choices in styles and accessories at my disposal,and it is the easiest to maintain in all my 68 years....now that I know how to care for it :o LOL

cjk
January 19th, 2020, 04:23 PM
Fell in love with long hair, first long-haired crush, and so forth. I honestly don't even understand the question.

Even having read some of the responses, I have no idea what this thread is actually about.

People with pretty hair? I mean, there were Bunches of them. Particularly when I was growing up in the 1970s. David Cassidy, the Bee gees, Erin Gray on Buck Rogers. All sorts of people.

But I fail to see how that would be described as love or crush or anything.

Could someone explain it to me? I'm drawing a blank.

desisparkles
January 19th, 2020, 04:43 PM
cjk, I have crushes all time time. the way i know is I feel like if they blew me a kiss, I'd faint. I feel that way fairly often though so ya know just my opinion on the matter.

is that what this thread about? uhhh maybe? maybe not though.

cjk
January 19th, 2020, 04:48 PM
feel like if they blew me a kiss, I'd faint.

Well in that case I've obviously never had a crush. Usually the only time I feel faint is when a woman is wearing perfume, or to a lesser degree cologne on a man.

Stink juice.

Yuck.

Zesty
January 19th, 2020, 06:08 PM
It's a crush when you're enamored with something/someone. If it's because of their hair then it's a hair crush. I don't think it's that weird to say?

Many of us have a mild obsession with long hair (or at least I do) and when you like something a lot, you can figuratively say that you "fell in love" with it. Especially if it's a hobby you're really into, there can be a moment when you realize how much you like it. Again, I don't think it's super odd.

cjk
January 19th, 2020, 06:20 PM
It's a crush when you're enamored with something/someone.

Nope. Never experienced that. I don't think I'm wired for it.

blackgothicdoll
January 19th, 2020, 06:23 PM
Nope. Never experienced that. I don't think I'm wired for it.

You've never had a beard crush even? Crushes can be inanimate, such as liking the beard but not the person. As I would often like the hair and not the person it's growing on. :o

cjk
January 19th, 2020, 06:57 PM
You've never had a beard crush even? :o

I've never felt amorous affection. At any level. Nope.

blackgothicdoll
January 19th, 2020, 07:04 PM
I've never felt amorous affection. At any level. Nope.

Wow, I can't imagine what that would be like. From the outside looking in it seems better but I guess the grass is always greener.

Sorry to derail!!! :o

cjk
January 19th, 2020, 07:30 PM
Aromantic asexual. I'm not even on the regular spectrum. Kinsey had to invent a new one, X.

Like I said, I've been trying to wrap my head around what people have said in this thread,. Nope, doesn't work.

C_Bookworm
January 19th, 2020, 07:32 PM
Star Wars - fell in love with Princess Leia’s hair the first time I watched it. I believe I was four or five years old.

Princess Cimorene from the Enchanted Forest Chronicles, by Patricia C. Wrede. I just loved Cimorene’s jet black hair, which was almost always in braids, or braids pinned in a crown to her head. I read it sometime during elementary school.

ArtOfNoot
January 19th, 2020, 08:37 PM
Olivia Hussey in Romeo and Juliet (1968)
Rapunzel in Tangled (2010)
Elva Josephson in The Blue Lagoon (1980)
I cried when I was very little because my hair is blonde and I wanted Pocahontas's Thick black hair loll.

Arciela
January 20th, 2020, 04:54 PM
For me it started with Disney movies for sure! The little mermaid and then Belle, Jasmine, Sleeping Beauty :D

and for real hair..I think my sister used to watch this mermaid movie when I was reaaaaally small...I think it was called Splash? The main girl in it had really long hair and I loved it :D

Also Ever After..omg I love their hair in that movie.

leafygreens18
January 20th, 2020, 06:58 PM
Two girls in my first grade class (one of whom is still my best friend) and a girl named Denver who I called Timber (I couldn't understand t was Denver and not Timber) her hair was looonnng and gorgeous, her mom did beautiful styles with it too!

Crysania
January 21st, 2020, 06:46 AM
As a kid, I used to love Fanny Lauzier's long red curly hair in the french canadian movie ''La grenouille et la baleine'' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htaeaBM4BtY

Also the long hair of Brooke Shields in the movie Blue Lagoon and Milla Jovovich in Return of the blue lagoon

Elizabeth E
January 22nd, 2020, 07:00 AM
When I was little, my mum and I would watch Indian fashion shows on TV and I always marvelled at the women with their long black hair. I had countless wigs that I played with as a kid - the type that shed hair all over the house, ha ha - but yeah, that's where my obsession with long hair started. :o

poojasilk
January 30th, 2020, 02:42 PM
My family is Indian so all the women have/had long hair in their youth. My mom used to have hip length hair when I was a kid, and my aunts have hair past their butt and to their knees. I always wanted my hair as long as theirs, I just never had the patience to grow it out when i was younger :D

NaïaTheWitch
November 10th, 2021, 05:37 PM
Oof. You reminded me some things i thought were completely erased from my memory lol.
I had 2 girls in my class that i had hair-crush on. One was very popular. She had hair incredibly long wavy golden hair (tbl).
Too bad that she was a mean girl. She was very pretty. The other one had very light blonde hair down to her knee! She braided her hair every day. Just saw her once with a ponytail and once completely loose. Very thick and healthy. The morning she came to class with soaking wet hair and took ages to dry lmao.
Me and my dark brown bob were so envious and admirative.

NaïaTheWitch
November 10th, 2021, 05:43 PM
Oof. You reminded me some things i thought were completely erased from my memory lol.
I had 2 girls in my class that i had hair-crush on. One was very popular. She had hair incredibly long wavy golden hair (tbl).
Too bad that she was a mean girl. She was very pretty. The other one had very light blonde hair down to her knee! She braided her hair every day. Just saw her once with a ponytail and once completely loose. Very thick and healthy. The morning she came to class with soaking wet hair and took ages to dry lmao.
Me and my dark brown bob were so envious and admirative.

Doomy Daisy
November 10th, 2021, 05:54 PM
This is such a good thread, thank you Naia, for bringing it to life again!

So, it's 2007 and I'm obsessed with this Apocalyptica song called Bittersweet. There's a girl in the music video of that song that has such gorgeous hair that made me want to grow my hair and ultimately fall in love with long hair overall. All this was even more emphasized when I started to watch LOTR yearly with my dad. Lady Galadriel is hair goals. :bowtome:

Pouncequick
November 10th, 2021, 07:36 PM
I think my early long hair crushes were characters in books. I read a lot of fantasy and hair to the waist is common but even knee length and beyond were pretty well represented. Usually not the main character but someone off to the side. It really helped that they were often dancers since I also loved to dance.

Later I discovered rock and metal. Long hair tends to be very well represented by both the band and the fans.

Of course this site has only served to provide me with endless inspiration from the time I discovered it.

Bat
November 11th, 2021, 04:10 AM
My first long hair crush I think was sephiroth lol then really any anime guy with hair past the middle of their back

NaïaTheWitch
November 11th, 2021, 04:45 AM
Yeah sephiroth is a hair hottie lol. Even if I’m a female he is definitely a hair inspo. Kinda blaming him for my long haired boys obsession :rolleyes:

Bat
November 11th, 2021, 06:47 AM
Same with me lnao can't seem to be apart of the long hair boys club because of my addiction to coloring my hair all sorts of color

ipickee
November 11th, 2021, 01:43 PM
LOTR movies. Such beautiful hair. I think that's what restarted it for me. Grew up in the 80's with short, permed hair, and my mom has forever had shoulder length, or shorter hair. It didn't even occur to me until my mid 20's that I had the choice of growing longer.

bparnell75
November 12th, 2021, 11:36 AM
I was in 7th grade. One of the girls in my class had waist length red hair. A beautiful shade of light auburn. Oh I could sit and look at it for hours, She was also a ballerina....my, my, what a combination!!!!

Bri-Chan
November 15th, 2021, 04:54 AM
Well, I've had medium/longish hair pretty much for all my life (APL to WL) and anyway I've always seen myself like a long hair kind of person. But, things started to change when I started contemplating the idea of growing out my natural hair. Back then, I discovered that a girl who went to my high school has grown her hair, and she has it between TBL and MTL for years (her hair seems to grow pretty fast!) and natural or dyed of natural colors. I remember I thought "I could have my hair that way too, what's stopping me?" and then, looking ad Galadriel's beautiful mane I was ever more convinced.

Outmoded
November 15th, 2021, 05:50 PM
Sadly there was no long hair for me to crush on in-person when I was young, but my mother read a lot of bed time stories by/about Native Americans to us when I was a child (though my mother is Irish American, she has facial features that look rather Native American, and was bullied for it while growing up in America, so, when she had me and my sister, who both inherited a bit of that same look, and black hair, she was determined to make sure that we never felt ashamed of it), so, I thought long black hair was cool, never wanted to cut mine, and whenever the neighbourhood boys were playing cowboy, I would do war paint with my mother's lipstick and run off to battle them as Sioux warrior.

Being a child of the 80's, once I hit my teens, my love of long hair was further nurtured by the goth and metal scenes, and practically all my friends, both male and female, had long hair. Though I do not recall any goth/metal idols who's hair I particularly loved, short hair just looked unnaturally wrong to me on anyone.

As an adult, I met my best friend in college (her hair was/is at least tailbone length), and she was huge into anime and Japanese culture, speaks Japanese, and visits Japan now and then. For women, I was utterly mesmerised by old traditional Japanese hair styles, and I still think that it is probably the most beautiful female hair I have ever seen. Meanwhile, I had been surrounded by Chinese culture since my teens (due to my parent's work, almost all of their friends are Chinese), had also been doing martial arts, and the first person I ever dated, whom I met through my martial arts class, was Chinese. So, for men, I discovered xanxia, and have had serious hair envy for all those long haired Taoist cultivators in Chinese historical fiction/fantasy ever since (the beautiful long hair and flowing robes would give the elves in The Lord of the Rings a run for their money).

As for a single individual whom I have met in person, who's hair I became enraptured with, I would say that would apply to a middle aged nurse I met a few years ago. I was in the hospital for a gastroscopy, had opted to forgo sedation for the procedure, and this one nurse, one of the people holding me down while my body kept trying to retch out the tube in my throat, had gorgeous long silvery white grey hair. The first thing I did after having the tube pulled out, was to turn to this nurse, who had been watching my dry heave for the last several minutes as they poked around in my stomach with a camera, and with my face still streaming from every orifice, with drool all the way down to my shirt, I completely disregarding my predicament and exclaimed "You have such beautiful hair!" I felt quite embarrassed afterwards, I meant it as a complement, but I may have just across as a creepy weirdo who could not stop staring, heh.

Fitzpatrick
November 16th, 2021, 02:56 AM
When I was a little girl, about three and a half. I watched a Crystal Gayle music video and decided that I wanted long hair. Growing up finances were not good. I kept my hair short most of my young years. Seven years ago I got diagnosed with a chronic illness that has left me unable to work. I cut my hair into a pixie and I did this twice within a years time. After the last pixie is when I decided to grow my hair out. Within the last six years I have had maybe five inches trimmed off. My hair is now at fingertip length. I am aiming to get between midthigh and knee length if my terminal length allows it. A little persistence and a bit of patience is key. I am sure you all can understand that approach.