PDA

View Full Version : Floor Length- Routine?

captaincrunch
September 20th, 2014, 01:06 AM
I am at TBL with a goal of floor length or terminal, which ever I reach first. For those who have reached floor length, what is your hair care routine?

HeavenlyTresses
September 22nd, 2014, 07:27 PM
This first link is for a Knee-length and beyond thread. There are a lot of pages but there are some helpful tips there.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54031

This one is for knee-length and beyond with hair brushing/combing routines.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125884

I think there is another one for hair care routine which I think I posted in but I can't seem to find it. I will keep looking though!

I wish you luck on your floor length journey :)

gthlvrmx
September 22nd, 2014, 07:35 PM
Wear your hair up in protective updo's a lot! I'm sure it will help you get to your goals!

gossamer
September 22nd, 2014, 07:50 PM
My hair is floor length when wet, and ankle length when dry.

My routine, copied from my profile, is:

I wash my hair roughly once a week unless it clearly needs it sooner. I use shampoo on my scalp. On rare occasions I'll wash and clarify the whole length, but maybe once every 2-3 months.
Before I apply shampoo, I usually put some light conditioner on from the base of my neck down the length.
After rinsing out the wash, I condition again with a heavier conditioner. I learned that conditioners with proteins cause my hair to feel brittle and tangle, so I read all the ingredients before I buy. Conditioners with cones give my hair more slip, but also take away from its natural slight wave, so I tend to avoid them too, but they're not verboten.
I oil the bottom 1-2 feet with a few drops of TJ's lavender body oil or 100% argan oil.
No heat. Ever. No dye either.
Because my hair is impractically long, it's almost always up in a bun. This prevents further damage to the length from bag straps or rubbing against my clothing. Sometimes, when I want to show off the length, I'll just braid it.

Do you have any specific questions?

dellad
September 22nd, 2014, 08:55 PM
Gossamer, do you do anything to keep your ends off the ground when your hair is wet?

gossamer
September 22nd, 2014, 09:02 PM
I should probably buy a large basin for use in the shower, but I also don't plan on maintaining at this length so I might not. When I get out of the shower, my hair is up in a towel for 30 minutes or so. Then, I do take it down and much of it is on the floor if I'm sitting, but if I'm standing it's already dry enough not to drag.

Quasiquixotic
September 22nd, 2014, 09:13 PM
I'm facinated by this thread!!

Gossamer, how much longer do you want to grow? And where do you want to maintain?

*sits down to learn* :popcorn:

captaincrunch
September 22nd, 2014, 09:17 PM
Gossamer- How do you wear your hair at night? What do you think is something people often overlook that would help our hair?

gossamer
September 23rd, 2014, 08:58 AM
I'm facinated by this thread!!

Gossamer, how much longer do you want to grow? And where do you want to maintain?

*sits down to learn* :popcorn:

Oh no, I really don't think I have much to teach! My hair's gotten this long through benign neglect, mostly, not special techniques!

I originally wanted to grow my hair to terminal just to see how long that was for me. However, since it's really clear now that my terminal length is somewhere beyond floor, I've had to change that goal. I haven't really enjoyed my hair for the last year or so. Yes, when it's down it's unbelievable and kind of awesome, but that's maybe 2-3 minutes a day? I want to be able to do french braids and fun styles again and I just can't when the backbraids start down by my feet. When it reaches floor dry, which it probably will by the end of this year or early next year, I'm cutting back to knee at least, or maybe fingertip length. Who knows, I might get really daring and go back to classic, which I last saw back in early 2009. We'll see how I feel about growing out again after that.

Gossamer- How do you wear your hair at night? What do you think is something people often overlook that would help our hair?

I usually wear it in a braid that I then put over my pillow and tuck under it. There's enough slack in the braid for me to toss and turn, but my partner can't roll over onto it and trap me and I won't accidentally get it wrapped around myself either.

I'm really not sure what people would overlook! I have been doing this benign neglect for so long (and I don't think I'm a model for how to best take care of hair) that I probably do a lot less to mine than other people do. Questions about routine help me figure out where mine differs from others.

Quasiquixotic
September 23rd, 2014, 09:02 AM
Thank you! I just want you to know that your helix bun is my goal length. How ever long my hair needs to be to do that bun is how long I'm growing it, unless I go crazy and suddenly decide I don't like long hair. But I doubt that :)

spidermom
September 23rd, 2014, 09:08 AM
Another floor-length hair member who isn't active on this forum anymore said that she used a simple shampoo and condition routine but didn't often work the shampoo all the way down the length since the suds running through the length during the rinse was cleansing enough most of the time.

Eastbound&Down
September 23rd, 2014, 11:04 AM
Wow, I don't think I could handle my hair longer than TBL! It's amazing and so beautiful to look at, but not for me. Good luck on your journey OP!

meteor
September 23rd, 2014, 11:47 AM
What an awesome thread!

Thank you so much, gossamer, for sharing your routine! :flower:
I wonder if you use significantly more oil and conditioner now vs. when it was shorter of if you use similar amounts but focus on ends more?

I originally wanted to grow my hair to terminal just to see how long that was for me. However, since it's really clear now that my terminal length is somewhere beyond floor, I've had to change that goal. I haven't really enjoyed my hair for the last year or so. Yes, when it's down it's unbelievable and kind of awesome, but that's maybe 2-3 minutes a day? I want to be able to do french braids and fun styles again and I just can't when the backbraids start down by my feet. When it reaches floor dry, which it probably will by the end of this year or early next year, I'm cutting back to knee at least, or maybe fingertip length. Who knows, I might get really daring and go back to classic, which I last saw back in early 2009. We'll see how I feel about growing out again after that.

For making braids more manageable and appear shorter, maybe this "Plaitception" tutorial can be of help? :flower:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTnA0EvueCM

gossamer
September 23rd, 2014, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the video, but the shortened braid doesn't solve my problem with French braids. When I separate my hair I often get knots that are far beyond the reach of my hands. With an English braid, I only have to separate it into three sections, so the detangling that requires getting my knees involved in bringing the faraway knots closer doesn't take as much time. With a French/Dutch braid, dozens of separations results in dozens of knots, shed hairs, and tangles so bad I sometimes end up cutting them out rather than trying to hold my in-progress braid together in one hand while using my leg to bring my hair closer to my other hand to detangle.

I'm sure that long hair is much easier for people whose hair is in better condition and less interested in tangling than mine.

Oh, and conditioner? Yes, I definitely use much more than I used to. But I think I probably don't use that much more oil because I'm still just focusing on the ends with that.

meteor
September 23rd, 2014, 12:32 PM
Thank you so much, gossamer! :D
Yes, if somebody has a solution for French/Dutch-braiding very long hair, it would be so great to know! :agree:

I think that French/Dutch braids are ridiculously difficult on super-long hair in pure form, unfortunately. But maybe something like this can help imitate that look a little bit:
1) Luana braids - small English braid into larger English braid:
http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/20/luana-braids/

2) Faux French braid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOyGD_KOoA

brickworld13
September 23rd, 2014, 12:35 PM
My hair is also in love with itself. I've found that if I tip my head back, the braid tangles are much less prominent. My hair is easiest to handle when it feels the most horrid. Oil slick hair does not love itself.

gossamer
September 23rd, 2014, 12:58 PM
Thank you so much, gossamer! :D
Yes, if somebody has a solution for French/Dutch-braiding very long hair, it would be so great to know! :agree:

I think that French/Dutch braids are ridiculously difficult on super-long hair in pure form, unfortunately. But maybe something like this can help imitate that look a little bit:
1) Luana braids - small English braid into larger English braid:
http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/10/20/luana-braids/

2) Faux French braid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOyGD_KOoA

Ah, torrinpaige. :crush: That looks really good! What I miss being able to do is stuff like this:
http://i.imgur.com/VKViffk.jpg

One thing I can still do that looks elaborate but is pretty simple is making three separate English braids and then braiding them together. Gives amazing waves the next day too!

Angela_Rose
September 23rd, 2014, 05:35 PM
Another floor-length hair member who isn't active on this forum anymore said that she used a simple shampoo and condition routine but didn't often work the shampoo all the way down the length since the suds running through the length during the rinse was cleansing enough most of the time.

I do that, too, and I'm only at mid-thigh.

chen bao jun
September 23rd, 2014, 05:56 PM
Only on LHC can someone be 'only' at mid-thigh lol. (Yes, I do know the context and that you are saying that you are not floor-length but its still funny).
It doesn't take all that much hair for your french-braiding aka cornrowing to get difficult to do. I'm only (yes, I'm doing it too but I actually don't have long hair by anybody's standards as I still basically look like my siggy, being a curly)--anyway, I'm only at mid back when stretched and to my great surprise, my hair started tangling itself together at the bottom recently when I try to french braid. I never understood what people meant by this, but now I do and I can see how it will shortly be impossible for me to french-braid, never mind someone who is at floor length. I can still manage it, but its quite hard, in spite of years and years of practice.

Long_hair_bear
September 23rd, 2014, 06:08 PM
I can't wait to get to floor length, but I've got awhile to wait..... I just reached hip! :(

CurlyCap
September 23rd, 2014, 07:09 PM
Only on LHC can someone be 'only' at mid-thigh lol. (Yes, I do know the context and that you are saying that you are not floor-length but its still funny).
It doesn't take all that much hair for your french-braiding aka cornrowing to get difficult to do. I'm only (yes, I'm doing it too but I actually don't have long hair by anybody's standards as I still basically look like my siggy, being a curly)--anyway, I'm only at mid back when stretched and to my great surprise, my hair started tangling itself together at the bottom recently when I try to french braid. I never understood what people meant by this, but now I do and I can see how it will shortly be impossible for me to french-braid, never mind someone who is at floor length. I can still manage it, but its quite hard, in spite of years and years of practice.

Have you tried to french braid hair that is slick with oil or soaked in KCCC? It prevents the ends from gripping together, but you still have to clear each strand by running your hand over it with every pass.

BogwoodElf
September 23rd, 2014, 07:29 PM
Do you have any specific questions?

I have one! Not about care, though.

When it's down... does it wrap up in your ankles? This, I have been wondering... I randomly set my goal at ankle, because I have spent the vast majority of my life between hip and classic. I'm ready for "different". And different isn't short for me. So I figured... "floor!". But I do insist on having my hair down at intervals, and I keep picturing it wrapping around my ankles... :laugh: So... how does it do?

dellad
September 23rd, 2014, 07:56 PM
Thank you for all the information, gossamer. :-)

Teazel
September 23rd, 2014, 08:07 PM
Yes, when it's down it's unbelievable and kind of awesome, but that's maybe 2-3 minutes a day? I want to be able to do french braids and fun styles again and I just can't when the backbraids start down by my feet. When it reaches floor dry, which it probably will by the end of this year or early next year, I'm cutting back to knee at least, or maybe fingertip length. Who knows, I might get really daring and go back to classic, which I last saw back in early 2009. We'll see how I feel about growing out again after that.

I know exactly what you mean, gossamer! When I was at "almost ankle" I really missed being able to do interesting styles. It was the same old nautilus bun every day. I could still do french braids etc. if I got DH to help by keeping the sections separate, but neither of us enjoyed that. He would get confused and I would get annoyed with him. :lol: Now that my hair is back at knee length I should see if I can manage by myself again.

hennalonghair
September 23rd, 2014, 08:39 PM
Well this is reassuring because this is basically my haircare routine also (Gossamers)
If it works for your floor length hair then it 'should' work for my 2 1/2 feet
Thanks guys!

gossamer
September 24th, 2014, 07:35 AM
I have one! Not about care, though.

When it's down... does it wrap up in your ankles? This, I have been wondering... I randomly set my goal at ankle, because I have spent the vast majority of my life between hip and classic. I'm ready for "different". And different isn't short for me. So I figured... "floor!". But I do insist on having my hair down at intervals, and I keep picturing it wrapping around my ankles... :laugh: So... how does it do?

Wrap around? No, I don't really think it does.

UniqueWabbit
September 24th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Oh no, I really don't think I have much to teach! My hair's gotten this long through benign neglect, mostly, not special techniques!

I usually wear it in a braid that I then put over my pillow and tuck under it. There's enough slack in the braid for me to toss and turn, but my husband can't roll over onto it and trap me and I won't accidentally get it wrapped around myself either.

I'm really not sure what people would overlook! I have been doing this benign neglect for so long (and I don't think I'm a model for how to best take care of hair) that I probably do a lot less to mine than other people do. Questions about routine help me figure out where mine differs from others.

Just letting it be, may be the best way to get it long. I'd love to inherit some of your hair when you cut it. I can tape or glue it to mine and have some hair! I wish I could see your profile but I can't. So I'm glad you laid your usual routine out for us here. Your avatar is really cool, what I can see of it! You don't want to let it get longer than floor length? How long did it take to grow that long? Have you ever had it short short and started from there?

UniqueWabbit
September 24th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the video, but the shortened braid doesn't solve my problem with French braids. When I separate my hair I often get knots that are far beyond the reach of my hands. With an English braid, I only have to separate it into three sections, so the detangling that requires getting my knees involved in bringing the faraway knots closer doesn't take as much time. With a French/Dutch braid, dozens of separations results in dozens of knots, shed hairs, and tangles so bad I sometimes end up cutting them out rather than trying to hold my in-progress braid together in one hand while using my leg to bring my hair closer to my other hand to detangle.

I'm sure that long hair is much easier for people whose hair is in better condition and less interested in tangling than mine.

Oh, and conditioner? Yes, I definitely use much more than I used to. But I think I probably don't use that much more oil because I'm still just focusing on the ends with that.

It just seems such a shame. Don't you have a friend or relative or hubby who would do your braids for you? I'd do them for you! Dang, I just hate to see hair cut. I've done it to myself for ages, but always in anger or pain for punishment. Yes, I'm a mental wabbit, but I'm also a tame wabbit so I'm safe for public consumption... but not for eating!!

UniqueWabbit
September 24th, 2014, 07:58 AM
I can't wait to get to floor length, but I've got awhile to wait..... I just reached hip! :(

If you only had really short legs!

BogwoodElf
September 24th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Wrap around? No, I don't really think it does.

Thank you! I'll never think on it again. :love:

And your hair is SO :crush: by the way.

gossamer
September 24th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Just letting it be, may be the best way to get it long. I'd love to inherit some of your hair when you cut it. I can tape or glue it to mine and have some hair! I wish I could see your profile but I can't. So I'm glad you laid your usual routine out for us here. Your avatar is really cool, what I can see of it! You don't want to let it get longer than floor length? How long did it take to grow that long? Have you ever had it short short and started from there?

No, I really don't want it longer than floor length. I like my hair long - the shortest I can remember it being, outside of young childhood, was when I had it cut to BSL when I was 14. Whether or not you consider that short depends on your perspective. Since then I've been growing it on and off. It was between tailbone and classic for many years and only started to get past classic in 2008. This is my growth timeline, copied and pasted from an old forum post.

n the spring of 1998, I had my scraggly waist/hip length hair trimmed to a solid BSL.

I consider this my starting point for wanting healthy long hair with trims. (Still wish someone had told me about conditioner then, however. That took another 5 years.) By that reckoning, I guess it's taken me almost 15 years to get to my current length? But that sounds wrong too.

By sometime in 2002, it was back to waist again even with the big trims my hairdresser liked to give me. (I love her, this is in no way a condemnation of her methods.)

Fall 2003, I was at TBL.

Late 2005/early 2006 - Classic.

I got a huge trim in the summer of 2006 - Classic+a bit back up to hip - which I feel almost resets the count clock. But not totally, right? Hip is still long hair... but it did subtract about 4 years of growth...

May 2007 - SO starts trimming my hair instead of my stylist.

Feb 2008 - back at Classic.

April 2010 - join LHC, realize that I'm at "can I call this knee?"

Feb 2011 - declare myself at knee.

Dec 2012 - At calf.

Ani Ta
September 24th, 2014, 01:16 PM
What a fantastic thread! I'm at kneelength so far but I would love to try terminal :)

HeavenlyTresses
September 25th, 2014, 08:42 PM
I don't really do anything special to my hair, I think I just got lucky in the hair gene pool :shrug:

My hair care routine is pretty simple as I also practice benign neglect. I wash and condition every 2-3 days, shampoo only on the scalp and let the suds rinse through to the ends and then condition from shoulders to waist and again let it rinse through to the ends.

I leave it down to air dry which can take most of the day depending on the humidity. Most of the time I finger comb but when I want to braid it I will spray in an argan oil blend detangler and use a tangle teezer like brush to make sure it's tangle free.

I am an odd one in that I leave it down most of the time because buns are very heavy and give me a headache within an hour of putting it up. I have tried building up a heavy bun immunity but the weight is just too much. Fortunately for me french and dutch braids are not a problem, maybe it's the texture of my hair that makes it easier?
I maintained at ankle for a few years to thicken up the ends but within the last few months curiosity got the best of me to see what my terminal length is. So far I am at 75 inches (I'm 5'6") with no signs of stopping.

chen bao jun
September 25th, 2014, 09:24 PM
I was hoping you would weigh in, Heavenly Tresses.
So you have hair 75 inches long. I am only 63 inches tall--and you are only 66 inches tall but if you are measuring the LHC way is your hair actually trailing on the ground?

darklyndsea
September 25th, 2014, 09:46 PM
I don't really do anything special to my hair, I think I just got lucky in the hair gene pool :shrug:

My hair care routine is pretty simple as I also practice benign neglect. I wash and condition every 2-3 days, shampoo only on the scalp and let the suds rinse through to the ends and then condition from shoulders to waist and again let it rinse through to the ends.

I leave it down to air dry which can take most of the day depending on the humidity. Most of the time I finger comb but when I want to braid it I will spray in an argan oil blend detangler and use a tangle teezer like brush to make sure it's tangle free.

I am an odd one in that I leave it down most of the time because buns are very heavy and give me a headache within an hour of putting it up. I have tried building up a heavy bun immunity but the weight is just too much. Fortunately for me french and dutch braids are not a problem, maybe it's the texture of my hair that makes it easier?
I maintained at ankle for a few years to thicken up the ends but within the last few months curiosity got the best of me to see what my terminal length is. So far I am at 75 inches (I'm 5'6") with no signs of stopping.

Does leaving your hair down to dry cause a lot of tangles at the ends?

HeavenlyTresses
September 25th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Here is a pic I took yesterday after washing my hair. The left is right after I took it out of the towel and the right is when it was mostly dry.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13292&d=1411702789

HeavenlyTresses
September 25th, 2014, 09:50 PM
darklyndsea The ends don't tangle much, those like to hang around anywhere from my shoulders to my waist where it rubs against my back and even then they aren't too bad. I put my tangles into 3 categories.....small (I can detangle with one hand), medium (sit down, this will take a minute & both hands), and Oh look! I started a dreadlock! (This one requires a lot of patience, a little bit of oil & last resort...scissors.)

Ani Ta
September 25th, 2014, 10:45 PM
HeavenlyTresses, woooooow THAT is awesome!!! We have pretty similar hair but I feel quite short-haired now despite having just hit knee-length...

Thanks for sharing you routine, which is quite similar as well: I wash once a week with shampoo and conditioner, let it airdry but wear it in a bun the other 6 days.

LadyLongLocks
September 25th, 2014, 11:32 PM
What a fun thread! :)
My hair is past the floor at 77". My routine is simple. I pre condition with coconut oil a few hours before I wash. I wash once a week with Organix cherry blossom ginseng shampoo diluted with water. I shampoo twice. I shampoo the scalp twice letting the soap run down the length only once.I always use a shower water filter. I use a coney conditioner by Neutrogena.I use a wide tooth comb to detangle. I air and blow dry. I wear my hair up all the time and hardly wear it down as it gets caught on things at this length.I love claw clips to hold up my hair since they are so comfortable.I deep condition about once a month using Nexxus deep treatment.I planned to keep my hair at ankles, but life got busy and before I knew it my hair was past floor. I will be having a big trim soon though. http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/LHC%20Forum%20pix%20for%20linking/floorlength_zpsa379e1cf.jpg
These are video stills from a video (http://youtu.be/CxavdY7O7KM) I made at 74" in April 2014. My hair has grown 3 more inches!

LadyLongLocks
September 25th, 2014, 11:34 PM
Here is a pic I took yesterday after washing my hair. The left is right after I took it out of the towel and the right is when it was mostly dry.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13292&d=1411702789

Love your hair! Its great to see someone with similar length!

hanne jensen
September 26th, 2014, 12:14 AM
Wow. Just Wow. It's pics like these that inspire me to grow. Thanks so much for posting them.

Sparklylady82
September 26th, 2014, 12:35 AM

We have almost the same hair type! Except you have quite a few inches on me in length! I love to see my hairtype on those that have really long locks! My goal is terminal so it is so interesting to see what I possibly have to look foward to. I have a feeling I have good hair genes, hope I'm not dissapointed ;-)

gossamer
September 26th, 2014, 07:10 AM
darklyndsea The ends don't tangle much, those like to hang around anywhere from my shoulders to my waist where it rubs against my back and even then they aren't too bad. I put my tangles into 3 categories.....small (I can detangle with one hand), medium (sit down, this will take a minute & both hands), and Oh look! I started a dreadlock! (This one requires a lot of patience, a little bit of oil & last resort...scissors.)

Aha! I get tangles from shoulder to waist that are pretty bad. I hadn't thought about it being from where it rubs against my back when down to dry, but that might be the issue all along.

Your ends look so beautiful and thick. I'm so glad you stepped in to answer questions on this thread because my hair isn't as healthy or as long as yours!

HeavenlyTresses
September 26th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Ani Ta, thank you and since you are at knee-length you are definitely a long haired lady!

Sparklylady82 as you are admiring my length I am sending that admiration right back! I can't help but wonder if mine would look like yours if I ever cut it? Our waves are very similar and I often wonder what it would look like if it were your length because I think the length and weight of mine pull the waves out, especially at the top. I must say though, I have no intentions of finding out any time soon! I do hope it looks as nice as yours if I ever do cut it :)

LadyLongLocks I have admired your hair for a very long time and all of your beautiful updo's! I have been learning some new updo's, especially ones that distribute the weight but in the end they have to come down after an hour or so.

Gossamer, I don't know why that seems to be the tangle zone but rubbing against my back and whatever chair I happen to be sitting in is the only explanation I can think of. And usually they are the worst when I am waiting for it to dry. Which really makes no sense because most of the time I'm just sitting here on the computer while it is drying :shrug: Don't sell yourself short because I think your hair looks very healthy and beautiful! One thing I really like about this thread is seeing the different hair types that have achieved this length and showing others that it can be done :)

skeletonous
September 26th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Those pictures were beautiful :bowtome: every time I see floor length hair it persuades me to change my ultimate goal length from knee to floor...that would probably take around 10 years of minimal trimming if my hair grows at least 1/2 an inch per month. But I think it would totally be worth it!

BogwoodElf
September 26th, 2014, 03:16 PM

:thud: wow.

BogwoodElf
September 26th, 2014, 03:25 PM
My hair is past the floor at 77". My routine is simple. I pre condition with coconut oil a few hours before I wash. I wash once a week with Organix cherry blossom ginseng shampoo diluted with water. I shampoo twice. I shampoo the scalp twice letting the soap run down the length only once.I always use a shower water filter. I use a coney conditioner by Neutrogena.I use a wide tooth comb to detangle. I air and blow dry. I wear my hair up all the time and hardly wear it down as it gets caught on things at this length.I love claw clips to hold up my hair since they are so comfortable.I deep condition about once a month using Nexxus deep treatment.I planned to keep my hair at ankles, but life got busy and before I knew it my hair was past floor. I will be having a big trim soon though. http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/LHC%20Forum%20pix%20for%20linking/floorlength_zpsa379e1cf.jpg
These are video stills from a video (http://youtu.be/CxavdY7O7KM) I made at 74" in April 2014. My hair has grown 3 more inches!

Whoa. :crush:

xsampa
September 27th, 2014, 05:15 AM
@Ladylonglocks: How long does it take for you to do your routine? Does it take less time, than say, a short-haired man's routine?

Johannah
September 27th, 2014, 05:31 AM

You're such an inspiration. :blossom:

dogzdinner
September 27th, 2014, 05:42 AM
every time I see floor length hair it persuades me to change my ultimate goal length from knee to floor...

Gives me the total oppisite reaction TBH!!:D
Dont get me wrong, once Ive picked my jaw back up off the floor Im in total awe of these ladies and their beautiful hair! It just must take such alot of dedication to grow your hair to that length, I imagine it does limit you as to styles and what you can do with your hair.
I dont think I would ever want to grow mine beyond fingers reach (if it even grew that much).

But please keep the pictures coming coz I just love to see real life Disney princess hair!!LOL;)

chen bao jun
September 27th, 2014, 06:22 AM
To me, hair like these ladies have doesn't need a 'style'. It's beautiful enough on its own. The simple braid described would be enough.
But actually, JJJ Longhair does a lot of different styles, she has videos of them. And she can do styles the rest of us can't, though of course there are also some styles her hair is too long for.

LadyLongLocks
September 27th, 2014, 07:37 AM
@Ladylonglocks: How long does it take for you to do your routine? Does it take less time, than say, a short-haired man's routine?

I can wash my hair and be out the door in about 90 minutes with dry hair...maybe even less.(not including the prewash coconut oil which I leave in for a while)

I can't even compare my routine to a short haired man or see any similarities.:confused:
I see my husband take 5 minutes to do his short hair. I'm jealous :p

LadyLongLocks
September 27th, 2014, 07:57 AM
I also measure once a month as part of my routine.This hair photo shows me measuring at 74". I just measured and I am now at 78".
I do a deep treatment about once a month using Nexxus Humectress Ultimate Moisture deep treatment. I sit under a heat cap for 1 hour. First I clarify my hair with Suave or Neutrogena clarifying shampoo since I am a cone user.
I apply the Nexxus to towel dried hair (section hair and pin it up after I apply it)
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/LHC%20Forum%20pix%20for%20linking/2piciconbigger_zps3b66cb3e.jpg

Selkie-
September 27th, 2014, 08:08 AM
I also measure once a month as part of my routine.This hair photo shows me measuring at 74". I just measured and I am now at 78".
I do a deep treatment about once a month using Nexxus Humectress Ultimate Moisture deep treatment. I sit under a heat cap for 1 hour. First I clarify my hair with Suave or Neutrogena clarifying shampoo since I am a cone user.
I apply the Nexxus to towel dried hair (section hair and pin it up after I apply it)
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/LHC%20Forum%20pix%20for%20linking/2piciconbigger_zps3b66cb3e.jpg

:agape::thud::disbelief

Unbelievably gorgeous!!!! WOW! ;)

Eastbound&Down
September 27th, 2014, 01:46 PM
LLL absolutely beautiful! I am seriously in awe!

Madora
September 27th, 2014, 02:35 PM
:agape::thud::disbelief

Unbelievably gorgeous!!!! WOW! ;)

I'm with you, Selkie! It can't be said enough! Such fabulous hair! What patience and dedication!

xsampa
September 27th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Why did you decide to grow your hair out?

LadyLongLocks
September 28th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Why did you decide to grow your hair out?
I had it long most of my life but stopped at classic or tailbone and maintained it there for years.Then I saw other ladies with longer hair and it inspired me. My goal was knees, but I grew a little longer to see if it would reach ankles.Family illness drew my attention away from hair and before I realized it, it was at floor. I always loved long hair ever since I was a child. At age 13 I got a terrible short cut "Bob" and vowed to never have short hair again.

HeavenlyTresses
September 28th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Gives me the total oppisite reaction TBH!!:D
Dont get me wrong, once Ive picked my jaw back up off the floor Im in total awe of these ladies and their beautiful hair! It just must take such alot of dedication to grow your hair to that length, I imagine it does limit you as to styles and what you can do with your hair.
I dont think I would ever want to grow mine beyond fingers reach (if it even grew that much).

But please keep the pictures coming coz I just love to see real life Disney princess hair!!LOL;)

I totally understand your reaction as all this hair is not for everyone! It doesn't seem like so much to take care of but I guess that's because I deal with it every day and have made adjustments for it. While there are a few styles I can't do there are many more that I can do. I think the only thing that limits anyone is knowledge and ability. AND patience :D The knowledge can be attained so very easily with all the tutorials out there but the ability comes with practice and patience. My favorite hairstyles are the ones that look very complicated but in reality are easy to do like a rose bun or a hawser braid. I am much better with braids than I am with buns and I have a hard time finding buns that balance the weight of my hair.

Sparklylady82
September 28th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Ani Ta, thank you and since you are at knee-length you are definitely a long haired lady!

Sparklylady82 as you are admiring my length I am sending that admiration right back! I can't help but wonder if mine would look like yours if I ever cut it? Our waves are very similar and I often wonder what it would look like if it were your length because I think the length and weight of mine pull the waves out, especially at the top. I must say though, I have no intentions of finding out any time soon! I do hope it looks as nice as yours if I ever do cut it :)

LadyLongLocks I have admired your hair for a very long time and all of your beautiful updo's! I have been learning some new updo's, especially ones that distribute the weight but in the end they have to come down after an hour or so.

Gossamer, I don't know why that seems to be the tangle zone but rubbing against my back and whatever chair I happen to be sitting in is the only explanation I can think of. And usually they are the worst when I am waiting for it to dry. Which really makes no sense because most of the time I'm just sitting here on the computer while it is drying :shrug: Don't sell yourself short because I think your hair looks very healthy and beautiful! One thing I really like about this thread is seeing the different hair types that have achieved this length and showing others that it can be done :)

Awe thankyou!!!

Sparklylady82
September 28th, 2014, 05:24 PM

What kind of heat cap do you use? I'm jotting down everything you do haha!

Sparklylady82
September 28th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Ok so how do you wash your scalp the second time without the soap getting onto the length? Also, are you able to blow dry without damage or do you use cool setting? I'm so intrigued by your hair and routine please excuse all my questions! :-)

swearnsue
September 28th, 2014, 05:34 PM
OMG what beautiful hair! I'm going to faint.

LadyLongLocks
September 29th, 2014, 06:44 AM
Ok so how do you wash your scalp the second time without the soap getting onto the length? Also, are you able to blow dry without damage or do you use cool setting? I'm so intrigued by your hair and routine please excuse all my questions! :-)

SparklyLady82:
I wet all of my hair in the shower. Standing facing the shower, I shampoo the scalp and lean over slightly so the soap does not run down the length. Then rinse it off on the head, leaning forward. The 2nd shampoo is standing straight up with back to the shower.I never scrub the length, I simply allow the shampoo to run down the length. I also dilute the shampoo with filtered water. About 1 part shampoo to 5 parts water. The shower water is warm not hot, and I always use a shower water filter.

Selkie-
September 29th, 2014, 06:49 AM
OMG what beautiful hair! I'm going to faint.

Haha - me too!! :D

LadyLongLocks
September 29th, 2014, 06:55 AM
What kind of heat cap do you use? I'm jotting down everything you do haha!

I use a Mastex heat cap. It is shown in this slideshow video (http://youtu.be/KdR-Bu0l86I) with other helpful tips. One thing is that the heat is concentrated at the top of the cap, so you should pile your hair on top of your head.Heat cap shown at 1:40 in the video.

LadyLongLocks
September 29th, 2014, 06:57 AM
LLL absolutely beautiful! I am seriously in awe!

Thank you very much.

LadyLongLocks
September 29th, 2014, 07:07 AM

Amazing that you wear your hair down most of the time at floorlength! I have a friend who does the same because of the weight and headaches. Personally, if not for buns I would have it shorter. How do you wear it out in public? Its too bad you have not found a comfortable bun style. Have you tried 2 buns? Have you ever weighed your hair?

Madora
September 29th, 2014, 07:36 AM
SparklyLady82:
I wet all of my hair in the shower. Standing facing the shower, I shampoo the scalp and lean over slightly so the soap does not run down the length. Then rinse it off on the head, leaning forward. The 2nd shampoo is standing straight up with back to the shower.I never scrub the length, I simply allow the shampoo to run down the length. I also dilute the shampoo with filtered water. About 1 part shampoo to 5 parts water. The shower water is warm not hot, and I always use a shower water filter.

Fascinating, LadyLongLocks...and VERY clever, that leaning trick! You've certainly have the shampooing procedure down pat...and then some! Kudos!

KittyBird
September 29th, 2014, 07:50 AM
HeavenlyTresses, I'm nowhere near floor length but my hair is fairly thick and I have a very sensitive and tender scalp. I would definitely recommend LadyLongLocks' clip bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY-rfngTdkA&list=UUQqcMGmeioKw56g8vfNFjrw). I make two of them, and they're pretty much weightless. I can't feel them at all. :)

chen bao jun
September 29th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Enjoying this thread so much. Keep it going, ladies.

Quasiquixotic
September 29th, 2014, 08:35 AM
I love this thread too. :thumbsup:

dogzdinner
September 29th, 2014, 09:38 AM
It is pretty awe inspiring isnt it!? :)
I must admit that if I had hair even half as gorgeous and shiny as these ladies I might be tempted to grow to the floor too!

Sparklylady82
September 29th, 2014, 12:21 PM
SparklyLady82:
Thankyou thankyou! That makes total sense now :-)

meteor
September 29th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Wow! :thudpile: I so love this thread!

This thread is extremely enabling to changing hair goals to floor! ;)

Thank you so very much for all the awesome pictures and for sharing your extremely useful and sensible routines! :flowers:

I really hope for more pictures! :) Pretty please! :pray: You ladies are extremely rare and most of us simply don't get to see this kind of hair in real life!

LadyLongLocks
September 29th, 2014, 04:14 PM

Oh sorry I forgot to answer the blow drying question. I use the blow dryer on warm and cool.I divide the wet hair in 2 sections and dry a few minutes and rest for a few minutes. I dry it a little at a time and air dry between blow drying. I hardly air dry as I just dont have time for it and I like to get my hair dry fast.

lapushka
September 29th, 2014, 04:35 PM
Oh sorry I forgot to answer the blow drying question. I use the blow dryer on warm and cool.I divide the wet hair in 2 sections and dry a few minutes and rest for a few minutes. I dry it a little at a time and air dry between blow drying. I hardly air dry as I just dont have time for it and I like to get my hair dry fast.

I follow this example as well. My hair gets blown dry on warm. I go by the motto, if you can hold your hand in the airstream without it burning, it's not going to damage your hair. My hair is practically TBL right now, and it doesn't have splits or white dots. Been blowdrying all the way from shoulder to here. Don't intend to give that up - at all!

Sparklylady82
September 29th, 2014, 06:13 PM

Thankyou that makes sense! I imagine it would take way too long to air dry at your length. You must get so many questions I appreciate you answering mine :-))

Sparklylady82
September 29th, 2014, 06:14 PM
I follow this example as well. My hair gets blown dry on warm. I go by the motto, if you can hold your hand in the airstream without it burning, it's not going to damage your hair. My hair is practically TBL right now, and it doesn't have splits or white dots. Been blowdrying all the way from shoulder to here. Don't intend to give that up - at all!
That makes sense lapushka, great way the guage the heat.

Crumpet
September 29th, 2014, 09:40 PM
I may never grow my own hair to floor length, but I love to look at it and hear about it. I've always admired super-long hair. I'm completely entranced by this thread.

LadyLongLocks
September 29th, 2014, 10:43 PM
I may never grow my own hair to floor length, but I love to look at it and hear about it. I've always admired super-long hair. I'm completely entranced by this thread.

Who knows...maybe you will grow it to the floor :) when I got past knee I really wondered how much longer it would grow. I never dreamed I would grow past the floor! Its a fun experiment to try if you have patience and good hair genes. I admit the length is a little extreme and for me, I must wear it up daily so I can move and not draw attention in public!

Sparklylady82
September 30th, 2014, 12:09 AM
Who knows...maybe you will grow it to the floor :) when I got past knee I really wondered how much longer it would grow. I never dreamed I would grow past the floor! Its a fun experiment to try if you have patience and good hair genes. I admit the length is a little extreme and for me, I must wear it up daily so I can move and not draw attention in public!
I'm up for the experiment, now I need patience ;-)

Crumpet
September 30th, 2014, 01:07 AM

I suspect you still draw attention in public! :blossom:

You may be right. If I turn out to be lucky, my hair may actually be up for the task. In the meantime, I'm slowly thickening up my hemline at nearly hip-length hair so it is far away indeed.

I'm enjoying the tresses of others in the meantime!

StellaKatherine
September 30th, 2014, 01:15 AM
I am very good in neglecting my hair. Not good in going to hairdressers and like my hair in a bun.. The bigger the bun the happier I am hahaha... Still long way for me to classic and I was thinking of staying there a bit, but with the lazy ass me I just might accedently start growing it more :D Wonder if the floor would be possible for me. Though with ii thickness the floor lenght would be super see through. It seems, that those who managed to get to past knee and to the floor are the thickhaired ones.

lapushka
September 30th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Though with ii thickness the floor lenght would be super see through. It seems, that those who managed to get to past knee and to the floor are the thickhaired ones.

CinnamonHair is kind of missing from this equation - I think she's at knee if not longer, and I believe she's a ii. So don't sell yourself short!

Sparklylady82
September 30th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Interesting, I was wondering if the coarser (<--is that a word?) your hair and the thicker it is the longer it can get? Of the woman I know personally who have reached extreme lengths, their hair was coarse, thick and described as strong, often wavy. I have a mix of textures hit 90% is coarse and the rest is m/f (mainly my canopy and hairline). Maybe I can reach extreme lengths! Feeling hopeful...

Amapola
September 30th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Sparklylady82, I don't know that you *have* to have the thicker coarse hair to grow to those lengths... but there is no doubt that it would help. There is a lady here in my town who easily gets to floor, but is constantly cutting back to knee, and she wears her hair down all the time. Never puts it up. If I did that (wearing my hair down all the time) I'd go straight back to BSL, because it would all break off. This lady I am talking about has very coarse hair though, so she can get away with it... plus not only is her hair a lot stronger and more flexible than mine, it does not stick to itself and cause tangles like mine does. Her hair is stick-straight and glassy smooth. But everyone will have different hair in all different types of ways. It is amazing how much hair can vary. So for each person, it's going to be different. All you can do is take the best care of your hair that you can and then see what happens!

StellaKatherine
September 30th, 2014, 10:43 AM
CinnamonHair is kind of missing from this equation - I think she's at knee if not longer, and I believe she's a ii. So don't sell yourself short!

Mmmm... I feel tempted to grow the floor length if it is possible or at least find the terminal if it is before floor. We live only once and now would be good time to see :D

chen bao jun
September 30th, 2014, 11:42 AM
I absolutely would grow to floor if I could. Oh, well. Just hoping to get to waist in the next couple of years. meanwhile, I will admire.

GetMeToWaist
September 30th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Interesting, I was wondering if the coarser (<--is that a word?) your hair and the thicker it is the longer it can get? Of the woman I know personally who have reached extreme lengths, their hair was coarse, thick and described as strong, often wavy. I have a mix of textures hit 90% is coarse and the rest is m/f (mainly my canopy and hairline). Maybe I can reach extreme lengths! Feeling hopeful...

I think coarser hair is definitely stronger and if its thicker that'd help too. So yeah, i would say its more resilient.

Panth
September 30th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Though with ii thickness the floor lenght would be super see through. It seems, that those who managed to get to past knee and to the floor are the thickhaired ones.

I'm at knee when braidwaved and I'm a i/ii (2" circumference exactly). And no, it doesn't look super-thin - although that's because fine hair + brushed out braidwaves = softly floofy hair.

harpgal
September 30th, 2014, 01:18 PM
....Though with ii thickness the floor length would be super see through. It seems, that those who managed to get to past knee and to the floor are the thickhaired ones.
I am at mid-calf and my hair is very fine. Yes, it is "see-through" past FT length but part of that is because of the color. I'm not sure if I will make it to ankle but because I wear it up every day, I forget about it, and don't worry about it. I like it at this length because I can wrap it around my head 2 times.

I do believe a person has a better chance of reaching great lengths with coarser, thicker hair. However, there are some of us who have prevailed against all the odds. All I can say, it's worth a shot to try and see what happens. Actually, the journey can be a lot of fun. :)

darklyndsea
September 30th, 2014, 01:19 PM
I absolutely would grow to floor if I could. Oh, well. Just hoping to get to waist in the next couple of years. meanwhile, I will admire.

You never know what your terminal is before you get there...hope you can make it longer than you think possible!

StellaKatherine
September 30th, 2014, 01:26 PM
I'm at knee when braidwaved and I'm a i/ii (2" circumference exactly). And no, it doesn't look super-thin - although that's because fine hair + brushed out braidwaves = softly floofy hair.

I am at mid-calf and my hair is very fine. Yes, it is "see-through" past FT length but part of that is because of the color. I'm not sure if I will make it to ankle but because I wear it up every day, I forget about it, and don't worry about it. I like it at this length because I can wrap it around my head 2 times.

I do believe a person has a better chance of reaching great lengths with coarser, thicker hair. However, there are some of us who have prevailed against all the odds. All I can say, it's worth a shot to try and see what happens. Actually, the journey can be a lot of fun. :)

Ohh, you girls make me feel, that maybe it will still be possible :D I just let my hair grow and see how it goes ! ;)

Komao
September 30th, 2014, 02:44 PM
I've just subscribed to this thread. I put it in my "Hair Inspiration" folder. Love the input from all these long haired women who have reached such incredible lengths. Thanks. It gives me great pleasure to look at your hair, gain knowledge from you and look at the videos. This is exciting. I'm on my journey to TBL. My goal for right now is thigh length. That looks impressive to me. When I get there I'm sure I will reassess this goal. Just wanted you to know how much I enjoy all of your routines and how gracious you are to share. :o

Sparklylady82
September 30th, 2014, 11:15 PM
So for each person, it's going to be different. All you can do is take the best care of your hair that you can and then see what happens!

Great advice!

Sparklylady82
September 30th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Ohh, you girls make me feel, that maybe it will still be possible :D I just let my hair grow and see how it goes ! ;)

I have the same feeling! I love this thread and the inspiration it brings.

HeavenlyTresses
October 1st, 2014, 05:36 PM
Sorry for my late replies, busy weekend and sick kid this week!

LadyLongLocks I've had to limit my hair down time to being at home since it's reached the floor and when I go out it has to be up now, whether a bun or a braid. I used to wear it down in public but like you said before, it draws all kinds of attention! I think part of my problem with the buns is that I make them too tight. I need to learn to loosen up and keep a little fluff to them so they aren't so heavy but I haven't given up! I am determined to find some that will work like the ones in the picture :) I have never weighed my hair although my daughter has been very tempted to put it in one of the produce scales at the grocery store :D

KittyBird I did buy a claw clip today and will be trying LadyLongLocks clip bun very soon. If one doesn't work then I will try two. Any excuse to play with my hair :)

And speaking of playing with my hair.....on the left is a length shot of 75 inches, then interlaced dutch braids, a rose bun, a nautilus bun and a single dutch braid.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13559&d=1412206355

Madora
October 1st, 2014, 09:16 PM

LadyLongLocks I've had to limit my hair down time to being at home since it's reached the floor and when I go out it has to be up now, whether a bun or a braid. I used to wear it down in public but like you said before, it draws all kinds of attention! I think part of my problem with the buns is that I make them too tight. I need to learn to loosen up and keep a little fluff to them so they aren't so heavy but I haven't given up! I am determined to find some that will work like the ones in the picture :) I have never weighed my hair although my daughter has been very tempted to put it in one of the produce scales at the grocery store :D

KittyBird I did buy a claw clip today and will be trying LadyLongLocks clip bun very soon. If one doesn't work then I will try two. Any excuse to play with my hair :)

And speaking of playing with my hair.....on the left is a length shot of 75 inches, then interlaced dutch braids, a rose bun, a nautilus bun and a single dutch braid.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13559&d=1412206355

Great balls of fire, Heavenly Tresses! What epic hairstyling! I am in awe!! Fab-u-lous!!!!!

Sparklylady82
October 1st, 2014, 11:08 PM

I'm in awe of your length picture! Lovely hair styles especially the rose bun!

hanne jensen
October 2nd, 2014, 08:11 AM

Harpgal, you give me hope. If you can do it, the by golly, so can I!

HeavenlyTresses, what beautiful hair! Truly inspirational.

StellaKatherine
October 2nd, 2014, 09:26 AM

Oh my god!!! Can I please have your hair!!! I especially love that dutch braid... it is DIVINE!!!! :crush:

Stiria
October 2nd, 2014, 10:12 AM
HeavenlyTresses, so beautiful! I love the color, the shine, everything:D

I had the most terrible dream the other night. I dreamed that my hair was knee length, and to long for interlaced braids! Oh, no! Ha, if you can manage with floor length hair, I am sure I will manage at knee length. If I ever get there:p

DweamGoiL
October 2nd, 2014, 12:45 PM
Only on LHC can someone be 'only' at mid-thigh lol.

You totally read my mind, chen :applause

HeavenlyTresses
October 3rd, 2014, 10:02 PM
Thank you ladies! I sure hope in the future that this little club grows :)

Something occurred to me today.....when you ladies get a trim, do you trim it yourself or have someone you know do it for you? I haven't been to a salon in years and have been trimming it myself since it was long enough to pull around to reach the ends. I also do the occasional S & D but I really don't have the attention span to be very thorough about it.

hanne jensen
October 7th, 2014, 07:06 AM
Can a wannabe join? I would love to have the length you lovelies have. (rushes off to massage scalp to promote growth)

LadyLongLocks
October 7th, 2014, 07:08 AM
Thank you ladies! I sure hope in the future that this little club grows :)

Something occurred to me today.....when you ladies get a trim, do you trim it yourself or have someone you know do it for you? I haven't been to a salon in years and have been trimming it myself since it was long enough to pull around to reach the ends. I also do the occasional S & D but I really don't have the attention span to be very thorough about it.

Love your long hair photos Heavenly Tresses :)

I self trim my hair and do the S&D. My husband also likes to help me trim it. He makes sure I get it even. I really can do it all myself but he loves to help me. Its been great self trimming. I have done it since 2006 after a family member cut 8" in Jan 2005 instead of 3" and set back my journey almost 1 year! I went from 44" to 36". I have a little picture album showing how I self trim. I bet you do it a similar way. HOW I SELF TRIM (http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/2.shtml/JJJ%27s%20Self%20Hair%20Trim%20Method) This is for longer hair past tailbone length.

brickworld13
October 7th, 2014, 07:31 AM

I self trim my hair and do the S&D. My husband also likes to help me trim it. He makes sure I get it even. I really can do it all myself but he loves to help me. Its been great self trimming. I have done it since 2006 after a family member cut 8" in Jan 2005 instead of 3" and set back my journey almost 1 year! I went from 44" to 36". I have a little picture album showing how I self trim. I bet you do it a similar way. HOW I SELF TRIM (http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/2.shtml/JJJ%27s%20Self%20Hair%20Trim%20Method) This is for longer hair past tailbone length.

Thanks for making that album! I was starting to have a lot of trouble with the other methods for self trimming and I'm close-ish to classic.

Salzdrache
October 7th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Wonderful thread ! I love to see this long hair and your routine ! Thanks a lot and please go on ! :applause:cheer:

LadyLongLocks
October 8th, 2014, 08:34 AM
Thanks for making that album! I was starting to have a lot of trouble with the other methods for self trimming and I'm close-ish to classic.

Brickworld13You are welcome! I hope it works for you. Let me know if you try it.

Teufelchen
October 10th, 2014, 01:39 AM

I use your method since I hit TBL and it really works well.
I just don't have such thick hair, but I always adore your beautiful tresses.

LadyLongLocks
October 11th, 2014, 04:55 PM
I use your method since I hit TBL and it really works well.
I just don't have such thick hair, but I always adore your beautiful tresses.

If you were addressing me, thank you! Thin or thick hair works the same. My hair has become quite tapered so when I trim, there is not very much to trim. Soon I will be taking several inches. It will be a bit different as I have not cut more than about 2 or 3" at once. I might try a little ponytail for cutting several inches, then go back for a dusting with no tail. The tail would be mainly for keeping the cut hair together since it will be a substantial trim.(thinking around 14")

LauraLongLocks
October 11th, 2014, 05:21 PM
HeavenlyTresses,

Your interlaced dutch braids must have taken mountains of patience to get the braids done, but the results are stunning! Interlacing looks a lot more fantastic with so much length than it does on my puny little bit of hip length hair.

LadyLongLocks and Gossamer, thank you for sharing so much of your routines with us.

After reading through this thread, I'm thinking knee length is about all I will be able to handle. But one never knows. :) I hope at knee length I can still manage to do french and dutch braids. Even at hip length, all that sectioning requires patience and it would be awesome if I could grow another pair of arms so I could detangle as I am adding sections of hair into the braid.

I guess I'll find out how the braiding goes as I continue to grow. I hope with enough practice I can keep french and dutch braiding in my repertoire of hairdos, even at great lengths.

LadyLongLocks
October 11th, 2014, 05:45 PM
HeavenlyTresses,

Your interlaced dutch braids must have taken mountains of patience to get the braids done, but the results are stunning! Interlacing looks a lot more fantastic with so much length than it does on my puny little bit of hip length hair.

LadyLongLocks and Gossamer, thank you for sharing so much of your routines with us.

After reading through this thread, I'm thinking knee length is about all I will be able to handle. But one never knows. :) I hope at knee length I can still manage to do french and dutch braids. Even at hip length, all that sectioning requires patience and it would be awesome if I could grow another pair of arms so I could detangle as I am adding sections of hair into the braid.

I guess I'll find out how the braiding goes as I continue to grow. I hope with enough practice I can keep french and dutch braiding in my repertoire of hairdos, even at great lengths.

Laura, I find it hard to do a regular braid at my length. Starting it is the hard part. Separating the hair at the bottom is hard as my arms are not long enough. Once I can get the regular braid started and bring it over my shoulder it gets easier. There is NO way I could manage a dutch or french braid on my own.
Knee length is really a beautiful length and it was my original goal. Things start to get hard once you get to classic and you sit on your hair. This is when I knew I needed to wear it up or braid it all the time to lose a couple inches and not sit on it. So I was forced to learn to do buns and in 2005 I had no clue how.
For me, I know that knee length will be good for me in the future as I will be able to move around easier PLUS I will have a fuller hemline. I know this thread is about floor length hair, but I am comparing floor to knee.Knee on me is 54-56". I am beyond floor at about 77". Actual floor is about 71" on me.

Aurum
October 11th, 2014, 05:55 PM
I'd love to know -- how much conditioner do you super longhairs use in a single wash?

Carrie Ingalls
October 11th, 2014, 06:54 PM
I’m with gossamer and others, lots of benign neglect is how my hair got to floor/ankle length (I would trim back to ankle about every time it reached floor or a little past floor).

^^That sounds pretty much like me. (I do still make it on to lurk occasionally, but life has been quite busy).

Basically all I do is wash it once a week-ish (I can’t remember the last time I washed twice in one week…that usually only happened because of special events) and I may go longer than a month without washing…currently I think it has been two weeks since I last washed my hair.

Wash routine: Comb out sheds with dry but oiled hair. Wet hair, shampoo scalp (still using up a stash of suave kids 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner) and let it rinse through the length. Apply a heavy conditioner to the length and a tiny bit to the exposed hair above my ears but not worked in for it to reach my scalp. Put the conditioner laden hair in a simple undo. Accomplish all other shower tasks. Let hair down, blast with water once or twice (this is to rewet, not rinse), detangle and comb through entire length (I use a wide tooth comb and then a tangle teezer). Rinse most of the conditioner out with the coldest water I can stand, and then apply a leave in conditioner and comb through.
Products I’m currently using: Suave kids 2-in-1, Loreal Natures Therapy Mega Moisture (conditioner), Paul Mitchell’s The Conditioner (leave-in).

I put my hair up pretty much sopping wet, using the same comb and then tangle teezer combo as I put it up. I love how slick my undo looks when I smooth with the tangle teezer as i’m putting my hair up. I usually wash my hair at night, so then I tie on my satin sleep cap, and go to sleep. Yes, I have to be very diligent about drying out my pillow right away the next day. I will typically leave my hair up like that for 2-3 days before I take it down, comb out the sheds and apply coconut oil.

I maintained at ankle/knee for about 3.5 years. For the past two years I have had my hair between 11inches off the ground (solidly mid/slightly upper calf) and ankle. The reason for the cut was primarily because of changes in my living situation, specifically communal/shared shower rooms slightly better than a gym but still wear shower shoes, and working in healthcare and not wanting any chance for my hair to touch the floor at work (ick). So I cut my hair to a length that I could grow out without trims for a year and still have it safely off the ground in the shower.

As to how much conditioner I use(d), I don’t really keep track, but I’m guesstimating about half a cup each wash and maybe a tablespoon of the leave-in. It also depends on how tangled my hair is or how much I feel like it needs conditioning. For example, if I have been washing it once a week I use less conditioner than if I’m washing it for the first time in over a month.

HeavenlyTresses
October 11th, 2014, 07:57 PM
LadyLongLocks Thank you and I return the same compliment to you! I have spent more than one afternoon looking at your various hairstlyes on your website and they are all so beautiful :) And thank you for the link on self trimming! You are right that we do it almost exactly the same, the only thing I have to do now at this length is add a hair clip at about fingertip/classic length (wherever my arms can reach) and then smooth it down from there. My husband used to helped me trim until it was long enough that I could bring it around and do it myself.

I'm still working on the buns :neutral: Who knew it would be so hard to get the tension right? Too loose, tight, wobbly, high, low, 2 buns--this ones bigger than the other one, how come one looks fine and the other is all wonky? Why can I make 9 braids and weave them all together bun this simple bun eludes me? I guess it's the same with the braids...practice and patience!

LauraLongLocks The interlaced dutch braids were a lot easier than I thought they would be. The only trouble I have with them is the weight of the braids start to make it all look droopy after a while but at the same time it distributes the weight nicely :) I hope as your hair grows you can continue your braids because your styles are beautiful and your hair does not look puny at all! In the summer my hair is almost always in a braid as the temps are crazy hot with almost 100% humidity all the time.

As for conditioner.....it depends on how dry my hair is. Sometimes I dilute a small handful (1/4 cup?) if it seems moisturized and humidity is high but sometimes I feel I need a full on handful from shoulders down, usually in the winter when the air is dry. I'm one of those weirdos whose hair likes the humidity :)

Sparklylady82
October 11th, 2014, 08:01 PM
I put my hair up pretty much sopping wet, using the same comb and then tangle teezer combo as I put it up. I love how slick my undo looks when I smooth with the tangle teezer as i’m putting my hair up. I usually wash my hair at night, so then I tie on my satin sleep cap, and go to sleep. Yes, I have to be very diligent about drying out my pillow right away the next day. I will typically leave my hair up like that for 2-3 days before I take it down, comb out the sheds and apply coconut oil.

What do you mean by and undo? I'm intruiged that you keep your hair wet and up for 2-3 days. Does it dry that way or is it still wet when you take down. Sometimes that is all I feel like doing too and I'm only at SL+ ;-)

LauraLongLocks
October 11th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Laura, I find it hard to do a regular braid at my length. Starting it is the hard part. Separating the hair at the bottom is hard as my arms are not long enough. Once I can get the regular braid started and bring it over my shoulder it gets easier. There is NO way I could manage a dutch or french braid on my own.

LauraLongLocks The interlaced dutch braids were a lot easier than I thought they would be. The only trouble I have with them is the weight of the braids start to make it all look droopy after a while but at the same time it distributes the weight nicely :) I hope as your hair grows you can continue your braids because your styles are beautiful and your hair does not look puny at all! In the summer my hair is almost always in a braid as the temps are crazy hot with almost 100% humidity all the time.

Well, there ya have it, folks! Not every super length person has the same struggles with braiding as others. I am amazed that the sectioning involved with dutch braiding or french braiding doesn't cause you enormous problems, Heavenly Tresses. I guess I better practice as much as possible and keep practicing? I don't know, even at my (yes, puny length compared to yours) hip length hair I find that the sectioning necessary for french and dutch braiding can be quite tangly. Maybe if I oil it heavily it won't be so grabby and I'll be able to manage it better? I'll try that the next time I'm nearing wash day and see how it goes.

dancingrain91
October 11th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Well, there ya have it, folks! Not every super length person has the same struggles with braiding as others. I am amazed that the sectioning involved with dutch braiding or french braiding doesn't cause you enormous problems, Heavenly Tresses. I guess I better practice as much as possible and keep practicing? I don't know, even at my (yes, puny length compared to yours) hip length hair I find that the sectioning necessary for french and dutch braiding can be quite tangly. Maybe if I oil it heavily it won't be so grabby and I'll be able to manage it better? I'll try that the next time I'm nearing wash day and see how it goes.

LauraLongLocks, my hair is waist length now but has been to the hip bones on me and I have the best luck with thoroughly combing my hair, french braiding to the end of my head, and then combing the back braiding out of the ends after the french braiding part is over because it's easier to get my place again.

Carrie Ingalls
October 12th, 2014, 03:33 PM
What do you mean by and undo? I'm intruiged that you keep your hair wet and up for 2-3 days. Does it dry that way or is it still wet when you take down. Sometimes that is all I feel like doing too and I'm only at SL+ ;-)

Whoops, that would be autocorrect, it should have said "updo." :) My usual updo is a "failed" figure eight.

Oh, sometimes I go even longer than that without taking it down...or at least without combing it out and adding oil (sometimes the stick and fork need to be repositioned or I need to retwist/coil the hair). Yes, it is usually still damp in portions when I take it down and it smells like I just washed it. :) Just how damp it is depends on the weather and a number of other factors. I also get away with doing this because as the hair not in the bun starts to get frizzy or flyaway, I just start wearing a Buff as a really wide headband. :)

Edit: I forgot to say the other reason that I put my hair up wet is that my hair holds and says much better when I put it up wet than if I put it up dry. Also, oiling my hair once it drys helps it to behave a little more like it is wet.

lapushka
October 12th, 2014, 03:54 PM
I'd love to know -- how much conditioner do you super longhairs use in a single wash?

My gosh, I'm TBL and I use *lots*. A heaping palmful for one application, and twice, because my hair is conditioned twice, sometimes even 3 times (CWCC). I can only imagine what that is like at floor.

Sparklylady82
October 13th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Whoops, that would be autocorrect, it should have said "updo." :) My usual updo is a "failed" figure eight.

Oh, sometimes I go even longer than that without taking it down...or at least without combing it out and adding oil (sometimes the stick and fork need to be repositioned or I need to retwist/coil the hair). Yes, it is usually still damp in portions when I take it down and it smells like I just washed it. :) Just how damp it is depends on the weather and a number of other factors. I also get away with doing this because as the hair not in the bun starts to get frizzy or flyaway, I just start wearing a Buff as a really wide headband. :)

Edit: I forgot to say the other reason that I put my hair up wet is that my hair holds and says much better when I put it up wet than if I put it up dry. Also, oiling my hair once it drys helps it to behave a little more like it is wet.

Thankyou for clarifying the "undo" haha!

LadyLongLocks
October 13th, 2014, 08:11 AM

If I use THIS conditioner, I can get away with about 1/4 cup, maybe even less. It's really thick!
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/PRODUCTS%20photos%20and%20ingredients/8aff7cbc-8772-4d0b-a8e8-25acd4544d92_zpsffbe49e2.jpg
all others 1/3 cup.

Sparklylady82
October 13th, 2014, 01:30 PM
If I use THIS conditioner, I can get away with about 1/4 cup, maybe even less. It's really thick!
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/PRODUCTS%20photos%20and%20ingredients/8aff7cbc-8772-4d0b-a8e8-25acd4544d92_zpsffbe49e2.jpg
all others 1/3 cup.

I've been using the deep conditioner version in the jar that you recomended and it makes my hair SO SILKY!

hanne jensen
October 14th, 2014, 02:01 AM
Carrie Ingalls, what is your hair type? Do you have fine, medium or coarse hair?

Carrie Ingalls
October 14th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Carrie Ingalls, what is your hair type? Do you have fine, medium or coarse hair?

Oh, its been quite awhile since I did my hair typing...I just went back and reviewed the types and I think I'm 2b/M. I've never bothered to measure my thickness...but I know that my hair is thicker than Stagecoach's and she has hers listed as ii in her profile...so I guess mine is that or thicker. :)

I almost never see my natural texture though as I bun wet and later add coconut oil, so it ends up a little more straight than wavy. But I did do a hair typing picture a few years ago and it had considerably more wave to it than I had ever imagined it had. :)

maborosi
October 26th, 2014, 11:21 PM
This is such an awesome thread- I love reading all the routines for the super-longhairs on here. :D
I've wondered if I could grow to floor- and if I could, I would. Knowing that at almost-waist, I'm already starting to face troubles with brading and doing hairstyles and keeping my hair out of trouble, it seems impossible to imagine with more than twice the length I have now!

But I sincerely admire those of you guys with the patience to care for such long hair!

dancingrain91
November 21st, 2014, 06:16 AM
I love this thread. I would love to reach floor if the hair genes allow me to.

lapushka
November 21st, 2014, 06:21 AM
Floor is a bit long for me, I think, but you never know. ;) No I'm kidding. Quite a bit too long for me, but it's an admiring length, IMO.

Madora
November 21st, 2014, 06:44 AM
This is such an awesome thread- I love reading all the routines for the super-longhairs on here. :D
I've wondered if I could grow to floor- and if I could, I would. Knowing that at almost-waist, I'm already starting to face troubles with brading and doing hairstyles and keeping my hair out of trouble, it seems impossible to imagine with more than twice the length I have now!

But I sincerely admire those of you guys with the patience to care for such long hair!

Knowing that at almost-waist, I'm already starting to face troubles with brading and doing hairstyles and keeping my hair out of trouble, it seems impossible to imagine with more than twice the length I have now!

:)Ah, but caring for longer hair just requires a slightly different mindset, and a willingness to go "outside the box". It all boils down to how you are handling your hair.

I've seen some LHCers remark that they can't handle their waist length or slightly longer hair any more because they don't have the ability to keep the strands separated when braiding. Or more amusing still, they can't brush their hair because their hair is longer than their arms.

Of course it does take a little practice and experimenting, but you can have longer hair, and live with it comfortably, as long as you are willing to be patient, and do things a little differently. My hair is knee length and at 68, I have a rare medical condition that has done a number on my muscular strength, particularly the upper arms/shoulders. Brushing/braiding my hair while standing erect, something I've been able to do for years, is now kaput. I wondered how I was ever going to manage, since I adore braiding. I hate short hair with a passion. I'm happier with long hair. And then I got an idea...inversion brushing and inversion braiding.

Inversion is simply another way to do things...but sitting down or bending deeply at the waist so that your head is pointing at the floor.

When you brush inverted, you can get your brush thru every bit of your hair..from the nape to the very ends.

Inversion braiding allows you do do several braided styles, and a few others as well. You work with gravity, instead of against it. No more pain from trying to French lace braid. No more need for arms of steel! You can create beautiful buns and braids with inversion hairstyling! I love it!

katelinn
November 21st, 2014, 07:38 AM
Oh gosh, what a thread!! I am in awe!!! My goal for now is classic, and then possibly terminal..
I love all your photos and great advice, so I think I'll just hang out here with you for a while :)
And by the way. my 10 years old daughter started with inversion hairdo's all by herself, her hair is nearly at waist.

Madora
November 21st, 2014, 07:42 AM
Oh gosh, what a thread!! I am in awe!!! My goal for now is classic, and then possibly terminal..
I love all your photos and great advice, so I think I'll just hang out here with you for a while :)
And by the way. my 10 years old daughter started with inversion hairdo's all by herself, her hair is nearly at waist.

How lovely, katelinn! Sounds like your 10 year old daughter is off to a great start! Good for her!

dancingrain91
December 9th, 2014, 04:02 PM
That's a neat idea. I remember the first time I learned to braid in high school my hair was to my hips and I just found ways to manage the tangles. Perhaps because my hair was longer than average when I learned the idea of braiding increasingly long hair doesn't frighten me. And thinking outside the box is fun! I love the idea of inversion braiding. I could keep track of the more unruly strands that try to eascape.

brickworld13
February 2nd, 2015, 12:03 PM
Brickworld13You are welcome! I hope it works for you. Let me know if you try it.

I might be doing this very soon. My ends are getting rather snarly, and I haven't done any trimming in almost a year. S&D just isn't working for me anymore and is starting to impact the thickness.

Remi
May 3rd, 2015, 08:21 AM
I love reading everyone's thoughts and comments in here. Inspiring. I hope more will post helpful tips and anecdotes to update this thread. :flower:

chen bao jun
May 3rd, 2015, 07:25 PM
Bumping. Love to keep this on page one.

cat11
May 5th, 2015, 06:54 AM
Knee length is really a beautiful length and it was my original goal. Things start to get hard once you get to classic and you sit on your hair. This is when I knew I needed to wear it up or braid it all the time to lose a couple inches and not sit on it. So I was forced to learn to do buns and in 2005 I had no clue how.
For me, I know that knee length will be good for me in the future as I will be able to move around easier PLUS I will have a fuller hemline. I know this thread is about floor length hair, but I am comparing floor to knee.Knee on me is 54-56". I am beyond floor at about 77". Actual floor is about 71" on me.

LLL- have you ever thought of making three ponytails /using clips/easily untied ribbons for the sections, so you didnt have to hold them while separating, then taking them out and starting the braid? I dont have super long hair but when I read your post I got this idea. Or, tying the end of each section with a hair tie so the ends didnt want to mingle, and then sliding them off at the end.... maybe even both?

gossamer
May 5th, 2015, 07:15 AM
LLL- have you ever thought of making three ponytails /using clips/easily untied ribbons for the sections, so you didnt have to hold them while separating, then taking them out and starting the braid? I dont have super long hair but when I read your post I got this idea. Or, tying the end of each section with a hair tie so the ends didnt want to mingle, and then sliding them off at the end.... maybe even both?

The problem with tying the end of each section with a hair tie is that if you have any taper, there will be a lot of ends that are shorter than the section's overall length that will still want to tangle.

cat11
May 5th, 2015, 07:25 AM
The problem with tying the end of each section with a hair tie is that if you have any taper, there will be a lot of ends that are shorter than the section's overall length that will still want to tangle.
Perhaps you could put them more like in the middle then or 3/4ths (wherever taper starts), and then by the time you got to the middle and slid them out, the remaining hair would be considerably shorter and therefore backbraid less, and at that point you could take it over the shoulder?

It seems like oil or a butter like hair styling leave in could help those smaller peices "stick" to the section too

Panth
May 5th, 2015, 07:48 AM
Perhaps you could put them more like in the middle then or 3/4ths (wherever taper starts), and then by the time you got to the middle and slid them out, the remaining hair would be considerably shorter and therefore backbraid less, and at that point you could take it over the shoulder?

It seems like oil or a butter like hair styling leave in could help those smaller peices "stick" to the section too

The trouble is, unless you're very, very lucky, by the time you're in the classic+ region and certainly in the knee+ region, it's not a matter of "wherever taper starts" - there is taper, constantly, throughout the whole length. It's a inevitable consequence of the fact that hairs do not complete the growth cycle exactly in time with each other, plus the fact that hair that is that long accumulates a certain amount of unavoidable damage due to the tips being a decade or more old.

cat11
May 5th, 2015, 07:53 AM
The trouble is, unless you're very, very lucky, by the time you're in the classic+ region and certainly in the knee+ region, it's not a matter of "wherever taper starts" - there is taper, constantly, throughout the whole length. It's a inevitable consequence of the fact that hairs do not complete the growth cycle exactly in time with each other, plus the fact that hair that is that long accumulates a certain amount of unavoidable damage due to the tips being a decade or more old.

Oh :( I guess I really didn't know enough about it to help :( I have a hard time separating my own hair because its thick, so I've had to get creative (use ribbon alot) and I thought I might take a shot at trying to help solve the issue. That makes alot of sense though, about the growth cycle. Thanks for explaining that, since my goal is knee it's something I should have been aware of!

I feel ignorant now

gossamer
May 5th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Oh :( I guess I really didn't know enough about it to help :( I have a hard time separating my own hair because its thick, so I've had to get creative (use ribbon alot) and I thought I might take a shot at trying to help solve the issue. That makes alot of sense though, about the growth cycle. Thanks for explaining that, since my goal is knee it's something I should have been aware of!

I feel ignorant now

It's okay. It's just that we've been dealing with our knee+ length hair for a few years now, so we know what works and doesn't.

chen bao jun
May 5th, 2015, 09:18 AM
It's truly interesting. There's a lot of things I wouldn't have thought of.

I know I was surprised when I got to slightly below bra strap and suddenly started to have trouble french braiding, which I had done all my life with shorter hair. I figured it out now, but the length made a difference with the bottom tangling while I braided which shorter lengths cannot do. I can only imagine when you are talking 4 or 5 times as much length as I have.

Panth
May 5th, 2015, 10:05 AM

I feel ignorant now

Don't feel bad. It's just knowledge that comes with time and experience. Long hair and short, thick hair are very different beasts, though. :flower:

cat11
May 5th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Don't feel bad. It's just knowledge that comes with time and experience. Long hair and short, thick hair are very different beasts, though. :flower:

Thank you :blossom: Right now, the longer my hair gets the easier it is to deal with, but I have a feeling this will start to go backwards when I get to classic

meteor
May 5th, 2015, 02:35 PM
^ This discussion about braiding is super-interesting! :D

My hair is only 45'', but it's very tangle-prone, and I'm very impatient/lazy, so I can sort of start to imagine how difficult braiding could become with greater length.
However, I have a little trick that I think might help others, too: so I sleep with hair in an English braid (to prevent tangles) and when I wake up and I'm about to comb my hair, I do NOT mix hair together after un-braiding it: I keep these 3 unbraided sections separate throughout - 2 sections hanging over each shoulder and one hanging down the back. Then I carefully detangle each section separately, without moving them around at all. Then (without ever combining this hair together) I braid these 3 sections again.
This trick basically makes sure that the sectioning always stays the same, and this is the only way I find braiding easy. If I changed sectioning every day or did French/Dutch braids (which require multiple sectioning along the scalp), it would be tangle-fest for me.

brickworld13
May 5th, 2015, 02:44 PM
There are some days where I can't braid at all because it's either too slippery or wants to be tangles. I just wish more people understood that length comes with an inevitable amount of damage even with trying to minimize it. And as gossamer mentioned, there can be quite a lot of taper for a couple reasons. (I've had a lot of backhanded compliments lately and I'm a bit sour over it.) I do find most of the tips here quite fascinating.

Panth
May 5th, 2015, 03:08 PM
This trick basically makes sure that the sectioning always stays the same, and this is the only way I find braiding easy. If I changed sectioning every day or did French/Dutch braids (which require multiple sectioning along the scalp), it would be tangle-fest for me.

Tbh, mine has spent so long being braided exactly the same way that it now naturally falls into three sections when I'm splitting it in preparation to start my braid. This doesn't help with preventing back-braiding and resultant tangles during the braiding process (especially as due to taper I have to do the "swap hair between sections" trick a lot to ensure I get an even braid) but it does make starting easy.

meteor
May 5th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Tbh, mine has spent so long being braided exactly the same way that it now naturally falls into three sections when I'm splitting it in preparation to start my braid. This doesn't help with preventing back-braiding and resultant tangles during the braiding process (especially as due to taper I have to do the "swap hair between sections" trick a lot to ensure I get an even braid) but it does make starting easy.

^ He-he, that's exactly my situation, too, Panth! :hifive: The hair falls in that shape now (unless I've just washed/"re-set" it).
I find braiding the beginning of the braid the hardest (because ends are more likely to ignore the sectioning at the top and start self-braiding in random spots), so this trick helps me.
I used to do 2 braids side by side every day and that helped too - if I slept with 2 braids, then re-did the same 2 braids and pinned them up for the day. So as long as I do the same sectioning consistently, I'm fine... But then again, it does get repetitive a bit. :lol:

lapushka
May 5th, 2015, 03:15 PM
^ This discussion about braiding is super-interesting! :D

My hair is only 45'', but it's very tangle-prone, and I'm very impatient/lazy, so I can sort of start to imagine how difficult braiding could become with greater length.

Gossamer just posted an interesting video on braiding long lengths:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQYqJX9gGb0

meteor
May 5th, 2015, 03:25 PM

Wow! That's excellent! :applause Thanks so much for sharing! :flowers:

I particularly love the trick for pulling the braid up over the shoulder to reach the ends more comfortably! :applause It's probably the best solution I've ever seen for the braid-longer-than-arms issue.

lapushka
May 5th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Yeah, meteor, I thought it was brilliant as well. :)

animetor7
September 17th, 2016, 03:52 PM
Bumping this thread because I've enjoyed reading through it, and it has inspired me to figure out just how long my hair can get. Hopefully some of the lovely longer-haired ladies will chime in again. :)

gossamer
September 17th, 2016, 06:22 PM
Bumping this thread because I've enjoyed reading through it, and it has inspired me to figure out just how long my hair can get. Hopefully some of the lovely longer-haired ladies will chime in again. :)

Nothing's changed around here for me, so I'm not sure what I could add. Do you have questions that haven't been answered so far?

Sarahlabyrinth
September 17th, 2016, 07:40 PM
Nothing's changed around here for me, so I'm not sure what I could add. Do you have questions that haven't been answered so far?

Just wanted to say that I'm loving this thread! Gossamer, are you still planning on seeing how much longer your hair will grow, or do you have plans to go shorter, and, if so, how much shorter?

Also, how long does it take for your hair to dry when you wash it?

coco mane
September 17th, 2016, 08:29 PM
Everyones hair in this thread is so beautiful. After reading the posts and seeing the pictures of long locks, it's inspired me to change my growth goal. And just see how long my hair can grow!

LongCurlyTress
September 17th, 2016, 11:21 PM

I can't wait until it takes me over 3 minutes to braid my hair!! Great video! Thanks for posting this, Lapushka! What a motivating thread!! And also I really appreciate the support... I do seem to be having more tapering now, which I guess from what I am reading here is very normal, but also sad and scary. :( At TBL now, detangling seems to really create alot of shedding now in my thick hair... :/:rolleyes:

animetor7
September 18th, 2016, 01:08 AM

I guess I just wanted to see if anything had changed for anyone and bump the thread so that new people who might be near or at floor length could contribute. :)

hayheadsbird
September 18th, 2016, 01:29 AM
This thread is a totally fascinating insight, thank you so much for sharing folks!
I feel like I've learned so much 😄

gossamer
September 18th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Just wanted to say that I'm loving this thread! Gossamer, are you still planning on seeing how much longer your hair will grow, or do you have plans to go shorter, and, if so, how much shorter?

Also, how long does it take for your hair to dry when you wash it?

Phew, I guess I could write you a book on that question? Simplest answer is no, I'm not still looking for terminal. Yes, I plan on going shorter, probably to somewhere between fingertip and knee. Reasoning for that length includes cutting out almost all the taper and that I'd still be able to do a faux crown braid, which is such a go-to at the moment. Reason I haven't cut yet? Busiest year ever and I want to feel like I've taken all the photos I want with the cool looking prop that my hair is right now. I'll get around to it eventually, I swear.

As for drying, it's taking less time to dry now that I've moved to a drier climate. If I left it down to dry it probably wouldn't take more than a few hours. Since I braid when damp to prevent tangles it can still be a little damp the next morning, but it's a lot closer to fully dry that before. Really, the thin ends dry super fast no matter what. There's not a whole lot down there to hold onto water...

I guess I just wanted to see if anything had changed for anyone and bump the thread so that new people who might be near or at floor length could contribute. :)

That's a good point! I wonder if there's anyone else new around here? The "knee-length and beyond (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54031)" and the "floor length and beyond (https://www.google.com/url?q=http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D36118&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjh-c-QmJnPAhUH3YMKHaeyA28QFggGMAE&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNH_hVJkDzwV9eECzTljpl1KqumN1w)" threads are pretty quiet usually.

truepeacenik
September 18th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Gossamer, you took the two-week rule to a two-year rule. Never let it be said you are hasty and impulsive.

Alissalocks
September 18th, 2016, 09:32 PM
Totally enjoying this thread too, great bump! I keep thinking TBL as my goal length but who knows...? Inspiring.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
September 19th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Totally interesting and inspiring. You are legends. I am not sure what my terminal is. But I am aspiring to hopefully get the best in health and length. May I ask how did you manage to get past BSL. Did you use products to increase growth. What is your average growth rate. What has been your holy grail to keep split ends away and your ends healthy

What inspired you to have long hair.

gossamer
September 19th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Totally interesting and inspiring. You are legends. I am not sure what my terminal is. But I am aspiring to hopefully get the best in health and length. May I ask how did you manage to get past BSL.

I can't remember having hair shorter than BSL ever in my life. I think some photos from primary school age childhood show that my hair was APL, but I don't remember that clearly because I didn't really think about my hair very much then. I wanted long hair from about the time I was 10 or 11, so I stopped getting any trims, which was a bad idea. When I was 14, I had really bad quality hip length hair that I didn't take care of at all. My hairdresser trimmed it to BSL and that's the shortest I can remember ever having. It's always been growing longer from BSL since then.

Did you use products to increase growth.
Simple answer: no!

What is your average growth rate.
:shrug: I really don't know. I was never consistent with measuring before and I can't measure accurately now. I think it must be close to the average of 6 inches per year but I don't actually have data to back that up.

What has been your holy grail to keep split ends away and your ends healthy

I have a lot of split ends right now. Sometimes I trim off as many as I can find in ~15 minutes (before I get bored and want to do something else). I used to trim about 2 times a year which helped keep my ends even and gave me fewer splits because the oldest, most fragile parts of my hair were getting trimmed off.

Keeping ends healthy involves trying to make sure they get as little damage as possible - wearing hair up, which I almost always do) - and trimming off damage when it does happen (which I'm not as good about).

What inspired you to have long hair.
I thought it was pretty and eventually once it started to get really long - around fingertip length - I decided that I'd like to continue growing just to see how long it would go for. As I mentioned above, I'm no longer interested in waiting years to discover my terminal length, but I also am not yet ready to cut it shorter. I like long hair on me, I think I'll always have hair that's long by society's standards even if it's not always going to be this crazy long.

I hope some of the other participants in this thread can chime in and add perspective. I can't be the sole spokesperson for floor length hair! :D

Kat-Rinnè Naido
September 20th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Thank you gossamer for sharing. You have been extremely helpful and most inspiring. Long hair really suits you and goes well with your image. I have seen your photos they each tell a story and are show stopper gorgeous you and your hair are stunning. I know I as well as a lot of members here truly appreciate you taking the time to share, aid and guide us through your experience. I wish you great joy in your journey with your hair

meteor
September 20th, 2016, 11:11 AM
Yay, so great to see this thread bumped! :thumbsup:

Gossamer, if you are still taking questions, here is something I've wondered :) : how difficult is it to remove shed hairs at such great length?
I'm guessing one is pulling out strands that are clearly sticking out from the edge/bottom of the hemline? Are there any special tips for removing sheds lost somewhere in the mane without letting those pesky shed strands cause any tangles while they are being removed?

Reasoning for that length includes cutting out almost all the taper and that I'd still be able to do a faux crown braid, which is such a go-to at the moment.

What do you like to use to secure faux crown braid at such length? Do U-pins or claw-clips work for this and are they strong enough?

Thank you! :D

TatsuOni
September 20th, 2016, 11:37 AM
I don't really have any questions, but this is a great thread! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Artemecia
September 20th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Wow- all of your hair is so amazing! I don't think I'd ever considered the possibility of having hair that long, but it is beautiful to look at and so very unusual. Makes me even more firm in my decision to grow mine- although I doubt it will ever get to that sort of length!

Lunnafindel
September 20th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Yay, so great to see this thread bumped! :thumbsup:

Gossamer, if you are still taking questions, here is something I've wondered :) : how difficult is it to remove shed hairs at such great length?
I'm guessing one is pulling out strands that are clearly sticking out from the edge/bottom of the hemline? Are there any special tips for removing sheds lost somewhere in the mane without letting those pesky shed strands cause any tangles while they are being removed?

I hope you don't mind me butting in - I'm not technically at floor-length unless I tilt my head back, but I figure I'm close enough to answer this one:

There's no problem at all with removing shed hairs. They either come out while combing/brushing (yes, I still brush. shame on me :shrug:) or they fall on the floor. You don't even really have to pull to get them away from the rest of the hair. I often even find shed hairs as flyaways from the edge of my bun and I can just pull them out of the updo and throw them away. I've never understood how that works, actually, but I almost never start pulling on a stray hair and find it still attached to my head. hair magic?:magic:

The REAL problem is remembering to gather up all the sheds from the floor so your family doesn't get mad at you when they find your hair in their shoes/shower/bags/laundry/etc...it's not like you can pretend it's someone else's!

meteor
September 20th, 2016, 03:58 PM
^ Thank you so very much, Lunnafindel! :flowers: That's great stuff! :D By the way, I run into that "hair magic" of stray hairs somehow still attached to scalp, too! :magic: :hifive:

I think, if I remember correctly, when my hair was short, sheds just came out so easily without any worry at all, and now I'm convinced that it's those long shed hairs that I haven't yet removed that cause most of my tangles (sometimes they even sort of "ball up" in a tangle at the hemline if I pull on them roughly), so I'm curious how all of you ladies and gents handle those pesky tangle-starters! ;)
Thank you very much for sharing, Lunnafindel! :flowers:

truepeacenik
September 20th, 2016, 05:02 PM
Meteor, same culpability with red hair. I'm the only one in the house/family /circle of friends.

Lunnafindel
September 21st, 2016, 05:24 PM
meteor, yeah, that makes sense. But I recently dyed the bottom 10 inches of my hair blue, and it's helped immensely with tangles! I can now tell exactly what's going on and which part of the strand is tangled with which other part of the other strand. It's made detangling and identifying strays so easy. I never thought my hair dye would have actual practical value :P

meteor
September 21st, 2016, 05:50 PM
^ Ha-ha, that's pretty cool, actually, Lunnafindel! :thumbsup: And it definitely makes sense that the dye would sort of "color-code" different areas of the mane and make it easier to detangle a knot. ;)

So dyeing only the ends didn't increase tangles for you? That's really awesome to hear! :D (I'd love to add a pop of color myself, but worry that adding some dye can make my ends a bit grabby, and I really can't afford to increase the tangles in already tangle-prone hair.)

MusicalSpoons
November 5th, 2021, 07:23 PM
Bumping this thread because I never knew it existed (did a search to find the floor+ thread) and I'm sure lots of the newer members - "newer" as in, joined after this thread had its last post! - will find it as informative and interesting as I did.

Thank you to the members still around who have contributed already; it really is a brilliant thread. I particularly love that it really shows super long hair isn't necessarily the super hard work that many people think it must be! :lol:

AmaryllisRed
November 5th, 2021, 09:26 PM
Spoons, thank you for bumping!
I have other thoughts but I'm tired. Maybe tomorrow. :sleep:

Dark40
November 5th, 2021, 10:01 PM
This is my long-term goal! Hopefully, I will get there someday soon!

lapis_lazuli
November 6th, 2021, 12:45 PM
This thread is a fantastic read and so motivating! It feels different now that I'm so close :)

Fitzpatrick
November 6th, 2021, 07:10 PM
I am currently at fingertip length and am curious about floor length hair. I think it is very beautiful when taken care of. I am currently trying to grow my hair to mid thigh/knee length, that is if my terminal length will allow it. I always wondered what it would be like to have floor length hair. Guess I will have to wait and see!