PDA

View Full Version : Itchy scalp...help!

sunnylove
September 19th, 2014, 10:21 PM
My scalp is SO itchy. I'm guessing it's dry, but my roots get oily easily so I'm hesitant to put oil on the scalp. Anytime I've done oil treatments I'm washing them out for days. Anyone have any ideas?

gthlvrmx
September 19th, 2014, 11:46 PM
You can try washing out oil with conditioner. Just make sure to lather in the conditioner for 5 minutes and rinse it out really well for 5 minutes. Time yourself. It should get the oil out. Oh and try keeping the conditioner on your hair for a fair amount of time before rinsing it out.
Have you tried ACV? Many people say it helps take away itchy scalps.
What have you used recently before the itchy scalp came around?

Nadine <3
September 20th, 2014, 12:01 AM
I get the itchies all the time and the only thing that's helped me is Aloe vera gel on my scalp. It's not greasy either, so theres no need to wash it off.

Johannah
September 20th, 2014, 02:52 AM
You could try some oil, or like Nadine suggested some aloe vera gel. I've heard good thing about aloe for your skin AND hair, so why not?

tigereye
September 20th, 2014, 03:49 AM
My scalp got incredibly itchy when I developed an allergy to SLS/SLES. Maybe do a patch-test on your arm to make sure you're not allergic to any of your products. Certain fragrances are a culprit among some people I know.

LadyCelestina
September 20th, 2014, 04:09 AM
Does it itch right after washing ? ----) harsh /irritating cleanser
Does it itch after washing and hair feels not clean enough ----) too gentle cleanser or irritating
Does it itch a few days after a wash when it is oily? ---)time to wash
Does it itch randomly and seems to start small and soon your whole head itches ---) are you under stress?

These are just some possible causes.

Sarden
September 20th, 2014, 04:14 AM
I've recently started using clear aloe Vera on my hair and find it really helps - I mixed it in with my shampoo in the palm of my hand (about 50/50)

martyna_22
September 20th, 2014, 05:02 AM
My scalp likes acid and hates oil - even though it's oily on its own. So I'd suggest ACV as well, and if I feel like it's not too much I use straight lemon/beet/even apple juice directly to my scalp (not hair!). I put conditioner on hair, let it sit, and wash my hair with a gentle shampoo.
It works for me - but try the suggestions above first - this one is risky as it may dry out scalp even more. For some reason my scalp feels fresh and nice after this :)
And, oh, maybe you could look into DIY scalp peelings? I haven't done one in a while, but as long as you don't scrub too vigoriously, they work like a charm.

sunnylove
September 20th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Thanks everyone! I noticed it got very itchy after switching to a sulfate free argan oil shampoo. I used it once and hated it and am now using Biotera instead. I'm wondering if the sulfate free shampoo just doesn't clean well enough? I'll definitely try the aloe Vera!

Freija
September 20th, 2014, 06:09 AM
I itch like mad with certain SLS-free shampoos, but get on well with plain, dilute, unscented SLeS shampoo (mixed with aloe vera gel). Other things that help me are vinegar rinses, a few drops of tea tree oil in water or dropped straight into the shampoo, and long conditioner soaks applied to damp hair/scalp followed by a quick, dilute shampooing just on the scalp. : )

lapushka
September 20th, 2014, 06:10 AM
The main thing is finding out why it itches. If it is itchy due to possible seborrheic dermatitis then oil is not good for this. If it's really annoyingly itchy, let a doctor check it out.

McFearless
September 20th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Thanks everyone! I noticed it got very itchy after switching to a sulfate free argan oil shampoo. I used it once and hated it and am now using Biotera instead. I'm wondering if the sulfate free shampoo just doesn't clean well enough? I'll definitely try the aloe Vera!
If your hair is clean the shampoo does it well enough. However, your scalp might need something else to maintain healthy skin flora. ACV, neem and tea tree oil are options to consider.

MeowScat
September 20th, 2014, 01:38 PM
A good ole White Vinegar Rinse does the trick for me after a wash and condition.

catamonica
September 21st, 2014, 03:35 PM
I get an itchy scalp too. I use Aloe Vera gel on my scalp to. I wash my hair only once a week. I do a
scalp wash once or twice a week. That helps the itch.