PDA

View Full Version : Palmer's Olive Oil Cleansing Conditioner and Hair Milk

CostaRita
September 19th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Has anyone tried these products? I usually use As I Am co-wash but I went to the local store and they only had the Palmer ones.

It does have alcohol in it. This is the ingredient list.

Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Polyquaternium 7, Behentrimonium Chloride, Olea Europea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Laureth 4, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Chamomilla Recutita (Matracaria) Flower/Leaf Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Equisetum Arvense Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Hyssopus Officinalis Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Panthenol, Fragrance (Parfum), Phenoxyethanol, Myristyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Alcohol, Sodium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone, Propylene Glycol, Blue 1 (CI 42090), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Red 4 (CI 14700), Caprylyl Glycol, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool

Athena61
September 19th, 2014, 08:37 PM
I haven't tried that, but am very interested in the other product you mentioned by As I Am. I was planning on purchasing it. Would you recommend?z

CostaRita
September 19th, 2014, 08:49 PM
I would recommend As I Am! It has a lovely smell and it's inexpensive. I still had a bit of frizz though, but I don't know if that was because of the product.

Athena61
September 20th, 2014, 05:43 AM
Thanks, CostaRita. I think I'm doomed for frizz regardless. I googled and for it was in stock at one of our Walgreens. On my short list today..

cathair
September 20th, 2014, 06:01 AM
Cetyl Alcohol is a fatty alcohol, it's not the drying out kind :) Isopropyl Palmitate i something I would normally try to avoid in mineral oil/baby oil, but I have forgotten the reason why :/

CostaRita
September 20th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Cetyl Alcohol is a fatty alcohol, it's not the drying out kind :) Isopropyl Palmitate i something I would normally try to avoid in mineral oil/baby oil, but I have forgotten the reason why :/

What about isopropyl alcohol?

curlsgalore
September 20th, 2014, 10:28 AM
i ordered a bottle of the cleanser from Walgreens online. Will update when I've had a chance to test it out a few times.

cathair
September 20th, 2014, 11:57 AM
What about isopropyl alcohol?

I missed that sorry. Isopropyl alcohol is very drying. It's often used to clean glass computer monitors and CD lenses etc. However if it very low down the ingredients list, so the amount in it is likely to be tiny and unlikely to have a great effect.

CostaRita
September 20th, 2014, 12:25 PM
the hair milk also has dimethicone in it

torrilin
September 20th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Some hair products might have dimethicone in the first three ingredients. It's a perfectly reasonable ingredient. Some posters prefer to avoid it because it's in a group of chemicals classed as "silicones" (so they have one or more atoms of silicon in place of a carbon atom). Some silicone molecules can build up on hair, but if I'm remembering right, dimethicone usually doesn't. Given how complicated chemistry can get tho for hair, it can be easier to remember general rules like "avoid -one endings" than to try and remember which ones are ok for you.

A good rule of thumb is the water part of any hair product will be around 50-90%. Humans are around 70% water :). So are a lot of hair and body products. Something in the first 3-6 ingredients will probably be a pretty large factor in how the product works, just like stuff that'd get listed as one of our bodies' first 3-6 ingredients would be. If you know an ingredient is a problem, having it in the first 6 is for sure bad news. I'm sensitive to a lot of fragrances, so if fragrance shows up that high, the product is super risky for me. And it sometimes does! Other times, fragrance may be down below the preservatives. A lot of preservatives only need to be around 0.5% or 0.25% of the product to work, so if fragrance is below them... I may be able to risk it.