PDA

View Full Version : Do we have a consensus on where tailbone length is?

Sarahlabyrinth
September 19th, 2014, 05:06 PM
I have heard so many varying suggestions on where TBL is - some say that TBL and BCL are the same, others say that TBL is about an inch below BCL, yet others say that when your hair touches the seat when you are sitting down, THAT is TBL length.

So what is correct? Is there a generally agreed TBL length? I NEED to know:)

darklyndsea
September 19th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Technically it's where the tailbone ends. I guess for some people that's actually something they can feel. I just went with half moon instead of tailbone, since I could actually figure out where that was.

cathair
September 19th, 2014, 05:38 PM
I still think it's just above your BHL. It couldn't be below ;)

neko_kawaii
September 19th, 2014, 05:44 PM
It is somewhere between BCL and BHL. Specific as mud, I know, but it is different on everyone.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 19th, 2014, 05:49 PM
What is BHL?

RavennaNight
September 19th, 2014, 05:54 PM
What is BHL?

Thank you. I'm not the only one completely in the dark on that one.

CrazyGrace
September 19th, 2014, 06:00 PM
I still haven't figured out what BCL is. The guides I've seen all show waist, TBL, and classic. BHL I hadn't even heard of before now.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 19th, 2014, 06:04 PM
BCL is butt crack length. BHL I have never heard of before.

cathair
September 19th, 2014, 06:05 PM
I've been struggling to think of a polite way to put it, so I am giving up and just going to say it and hope I don't offend anyone. BCL is butt crack length. BHL is butt hole length. I kind of made it up in another thread that asked this question, which I now can't find. It's not a pleasant length marker, but I think it's the most accurate way to describe where TBL is, just above it.

Quasiquixotic
September 19th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Butt hole maybe?

ETA: Lol! cross post!

Goodwyfe
September 19th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Technically it's where the tailbone ends. I guess for some people that's actually something they can feel. I just went with half moon instead of tailbone, since I could actually figure out where that was.

I'm so glad no one saw what I just did trying to figure this one out.:eek:

cathair
September 19th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Butt hole maybe?

ETA: Lol! cross post!

Yup :) (ten characters)

Marbid
September 19th, 2014, 08:14 PM
I think its a lot easier to find the BCL.... I think that should be the new TBL...

I mean, for some people those two are on the same place... On others the distance between TBL and BCL is practically negligible.. And since every one can find the line... And not every one can find the tail bone.. Its much easier, accurate, and more reasonable (IMHO ) to just forgo the TBL and go with the sure BCL

Marbid
September 19th, 2014, 08:17 PM
P.s.... We should use this thread to make up our minds as a comunity.. On where to mark this region.. TBL or BCL... And if tailbone length... When newbies ask us where it is.. I think we should all say.. Its where the line begins..

neko_kawaii
September 19th, 2014, 08:45 PM
The more markers the merrier! I enjoyed the frequent milestones from waist to classic. Now for the slow slog. I might reach my next milestone in a year. . .

BogwoodElf
September 19th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Well... I consider tail bone length, where my hair is level with the tip of my tailbone. It's not something you can really see, but I can feel it, and know where it is.

I assume this varies on people, because I am guessing our tailbones vary in length slightly... and of course our buttocks are all differently shaped, and can therefore "TBL" can be visually misleading, person to person.

Zesty
September 19th, 2014, 09:05 PM
I've heard some people say it's when your hair brushes/almost brushes the floor when you sit cross-legged (or the seat of a chair or whatever). I can feel my tailbone, but it's not that easy to figure out if my hair is at that point. I think using BCL seems like a more elegant -- yet crass! :lol: -- solution for this marker, but at the same time I enjoyed the plethora of milestones... I understand not liking the ambiguity though.

FrozenBritannia
September 19th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Everyone's tail bone is different, but then, so is the distance between waist and hip. I don't really see how changing the name or the marker is going to be any better. If you can't find your tailbone, go for BCL. I'm going to stick with tailbone.

darklyndsea
September 19th, 2014, 09:20 PM
I've heard some people say it's when your hair brushes/almost brushes the floor when you sit cross-legged (or the seat of a chair or whatever). I can feel my tailbone, but it's not that easy to figure out if my hair is at that point. I think using BCL seems like a more elegant -- yet crass! :lol: -- solution for this marker, but at the same time I enjoyed the plethora of milestones... I understand not liking the ambiguity though.

My hair only hit my chair at classic-ish. Maybe my butt is weirdly shaped?

Zesty
September 19th, 2014, 09:26 PM
My hair only hit my chair at classic-ish. Maybe my butt is weirdly shaped?
For me it would actually be no more than an inch past my tailbone. About halfway down my butt. Maybe (probably) I have a big butt? Case in point as to why this marker is difficult, I suppose; we all have such different shapes.

Zesty
September 19th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Also darklyndsea, I think this just proves that this whole conversation is bound to make us all self-conscious about our butts in the end. :lol:

ladonna
September 19th, 2014, 09:43 PM
I always think of tbl as the top of butt curve, before the butt curves in. Like imagine this is a butt- C- the top left hand corner is tbl, the middle part of the curve is bcl, and the bottom left hand curve is classic.
I have a huge round butt it's going to take a year according to my dh to go from hip to tbl.

darklyndsea
September 19th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Also darklyndsea, I think this just proves that this whole conversation is bound to make us all self-conscious about our butts in the end. :lol:

Well, I've passed classic, so if I become self-conscious I can always let my hair down...problem solved!

Knifegill
September 19th, 2014, 11:39 PM
How is it not possible to find the end of your tailbone?

darklyndsea
September 20th, 2014, 12:35 AM
How is it not possible to find the end of your tailbone?

It's not like we actually have tails...I guess for some people (skinny people maybe?) it's a lot easier to feel.

caromarpie
September 20th, 2014, 12:48 AM
I am not sure but I think I have read some where in this forum. That tailbone is aproximatively equal to your wrist if you stand straight. But maybe I miss understood.

It's not like we actually have tails...I guess for some people (skinny people maybe?) it's a lot easier to feel.

For me I have trouble feeling it but maybe I am to skinny because I can feel all bones lol

RapunzelKat
September 20th, 2014, 01:27 AM

Half moon! :laugh:

Marika
September 20th, 2014, 02:26 AM
Gotta love LHC, where else can you talk about butt hole length! :redgrin:

Johannah
September 20th, 2014, 02:30 AM
Gotta love LHC, where else can you talk about butt hole length! :redgrin:

First thing that was on my mind when I read through this thread :spitting:

Dreams_in_Pink
September 20th, 2014, 05:05 AM
We might as well call the area between hip and classic "the butt-zone" :rolling:

dogzdinner
September 20th, 2014, 07:19 AM
TBL I can find easily and BCL is pretty obvious too (I wish it wasnt so obvious and my butt was smaller TBH!!LOL). Its hip length that I cant work out. I mean your hips are big bones.... so do you measure from the top, middle or bottom??

DreamSheep
September 20th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Originally I thought tailbone was your hair touched the chair if you sat down - but the exact definition would be the end of the coccyx - if you place your finger on your spine and just move down till the bone ends (somewhere within the crack... pleasant! :p), then that is tailbone.

Zesty
September 20th, 2014, 07:53 AM
TBL I can find easily and BCL is pretty obvious too (I wish it wasnt so obvious and my butt was smaller TBH!!LOL). Its hip length that I cant work out. I mean your hips are big bones.... so do you measure from the top, middle or bottom??
I put hip at the top of my hipbones. That's the easiest to find because you (or at least I) can feel them easily. For me it's also about halfway between waist and tailbone, which makes time between milestones consistent, and I like that. That's also where I put my hands when asked to put my hands on my hips. I feel like I remember some people saying it's the widest part of you? But the widest part of my very pear-shaped self is past tailbone, so...

WaitingSoLong
September 20th, 2014, 07:56 AM
BCL is hard to define for me because the crack is a gradual thing. I was never quite sure when I was at BCL but definitely sure when I was at TBL because my TBL is easy enough to palpate. There is a good 1.5" difference for me. Also, like someone else said, my hair did not touch the seat at TBL. I was pretty much classic when that happened for some reason and I have a small rear. :shrug:

The problem is that bodies are all different. What I think looks TBL on someone is usually more like mid-butt length.

I have this issue with hip length. What most people seem to decide is hip length here is what I just call "long waist length."

The rounds of my hips are nowhere near my hip bones and they change depending on how much I weigh, drastically in a matter of 5 pounds. I don't like aiming for moving targets so I stick with the actual hip BONE but then there are different places on the bone as well. There's the crest, but I go by the knobby protrusions in front because they are easier to palpate than the crest, which has no definitive apex anyway since it is highest in back.

Plus body proportions are much different by person. Wrist may be TBL on some but not others. However, as it goes, it DOES seem to be TBL on me.

cathair
September 20th, 2014, 08:02 AM
My longest bit of hair has finally made it to 'touching the chair when I sit down length' when it's stretched:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12658&d=1408648345

I think touching the chair length is a little longer than TBL. My tailbone doesn't touch the chair when I sit down, it would hurt if it did!

It's still a way off classic stretched though, I know my bum is bigger than it was, but I don't think it's massive :hmm:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12656&d=1408648341

Hootenanny
September 20th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Originally I thought tailbone was your hair touched the chair if you sat down - but the exact definition would be the end of the coccyx - if you place your finger on your spine and just move down till the bone ends (somewhere within the crack... pleasant! :p), then that is tailbone.

Agree 100% with this, and with everyone saying that the exact location will differ from person to person. And I also agree with everyone saying that many milestones differ from person to person. BSL, for example, depends on what kind of bra you wear (if you wear one at all), and whether you count the top or bottom of the strap at the milestone.

eadwine
September 20th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Still no consensus on this?

Tailbone is that bit of bone that you can feel right under your spine just above or between the buttocks. It's not in the crack, honestly ;)

http://www.luminanti.com/Images/Anatomy/Spine/spinescoccyx_75.jpg that red thing there.

You know what? I have an idea: if you can stick your hair in your butthole you can call it tailbone. Agreed??

*looks left and right*

No one??

;)

cathair
September 20th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Still no consensus on this?

Tailbone is that bit of bone that you can feel right under your spine just above or between the buttocks. It's not in the crack, honestly ;)

http://www.luminanti.com/Images/Anatomy/Spine/spinescoccyx_75.jpg that red thing there.

You know what? I have an idea: if you can stick your hair in your butthole you can call it tailbone. Agreed??

*looks left and right*

No one??

;)

I agree on the positioning you've said, but I think if you can stick your hair in your butt hole, you probably have a little more length than tailbone to do it :D

eadwine
September 20th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Yeah but at least you can claim you're DEFINITELY there ;) :lol:

cathair
September 20th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Yeah but at least you can claim you're DEFINITELY there ;) :lol:

:rolling: can't-stop-laughing! Tears-are-coming...

lapushka
September 20th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Haven't laughed so hard in a while! :lol:

Marika
September 20th, 2014, 10:15 AM

Agreed, but please don't post pics when you reach this very important milestone! :eye: :lol:

BogwoodElf
September 20th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Agreed, but please don't post pics when you reach this very important milestone! :eye: :lol:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

RapunzelKat
September 20th, 2014, 11:34 AM
I posted this on the "Image macros - hair edition!" thread, but I think it belongs here too...

https://i.imgflip.com/c5o55.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/c5o55)via Imgflip Meme Maker (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

StellaKatherine
September 20th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Hahahah, fantastic thread :D Now I am sitting here and searching for the TB ;) Yeah I think I found it :laugh:

eadwine
September 20th, 2014, 12:48 PM
ROTFLMAO!!! Glad I was able to give you all a good holler :lol:

Agnes Hannah
September 20th, 2014, 02:45 PM
This has made my day, haven't had such a good laugh for a while!!

two_wheels
September 20th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Oh my goodness. Laughing my butt off here. I hole-ly agree, no pics asking us to assess your length please.

littlemonster
September 20th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Well, this is an interesting conversation.
This may sound odd, but well, considering this conversation I may as well throw it out there. If you squeeze the muscles around the top of your buttocks, you may be able to locate your tailbone from the slight pressure on it.

Alternatively, if you find your gluteal fold, the sort of line above your bum, bottom of the back area (slightly above where your cheeks start), it's around half way between there and your BC, give or take a little for individual variation. Roughly. I didn't get a measuring tape.

Frankly I think "top of butt cheek" length may be easier for most people than TBL. And it's still below hip. Maybe not as central between hip and classic, but easier to locate.

Maybe instead of body parts, we should use inches. Or even, percentage of body height. Waist on me is around 30 inches, I'm 5'4 so 64", so waist would be 46.9% hair. Makes total sense...

darklyndsea
September 20th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Well, this is an interesting conversation.
This may sound odd, but well, considering this conversation I may as well throw it out there. If you squeeze the muscles around the top of your buttocks, you may be able to locate your tailbone from the slight pressure on it.

Alternatively, if you find your gluteal fold, the sort of line above your bum, bottom of the back area (slightly above where your cheeks start), it's around half way between there and your BC, give or take a little for individual variation. Roughly. I didn't get a measuring tape.

Frankly I think "top of butt cheek" length may be easier for most people than TBL. And it's still below hip. Maybe not as central between hip and classic, but easier to locate.

Maybe instead of body parts, we should use inches. Or even, percentage of body height. Waist on me is around 30 inches, I'm 5'4 so 64", so waist would be 46.9% hair. Makes total sense...

Wait, is TBL supposed to be above BCL? Maybe that's why I can't find mine? But IIRC others have said it's in the crack somewhere...

two_wheels
September 20th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Mine is about an inch below. It's pretty pointy, I'm slightly puzzled that others wouldn't be able to find theirs, it's just the base of the spine.

People are built differently I guess.

ETA check out this pic of a skeleton. See the pointy bit? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/Human-Skeleton.jpg

lapushka
September 20th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Mine is about an inch below. It's pretty pointy, I'm slightly puzzled that others wouldn't be able to find theirs, it's just the base of the spine.

People are built differently I guess.

ETA check out this pic of a skeleton. See the pointy bit? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/Human-Skeleton.jpg

Yeah and that pointy bit lives in your butt-crack, so it's beneath BCL. Well, on me, in any case. :shrug:

darklyndsea
September 20th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Hey, I think I found mine! Feels like it's an inch or inch and a half below BCL. Still seems really inconvenient as a measurement. I like ones I don't have to grope around for, you know?

Sarahlabyrinth
September 20th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Well, how about we go for BCL (butt crack length) and then MBCL (mid butt crack length) then Classic? It would be easier to find, that's for sure.

BogwoodElf
September 20th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Whilst I do not quite understand what is so difficult about finding your own tailbone... I do agree that "BCL" is a much better middle measure point, between "Hip"(being at the iliac crest), and "Classic"(being at the bottom of your cheeks).

Marbid
September 20th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Well, how about we go for BCL (butt crack length) and then MBCL (mid butt crack length) then Classic? It would be easier to find, that's for sure.

I agree.. Every one has a but crack length.. Dont think that one is hard to find. And then the mid way point between bcl and cl... Every one should be able to know this one without question or groping..

I vote for but crack length. We should make a pol to decide once and for all.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 20th, 2014, 07:09 PM
I agree.. Every one has a but crack length.. Dont think that one is hard to find. And then the mid way point between bcl and cl... Every one should be able to know this one without question or groping..

What a good idea. We shouldn't have to grope around for reference points, so to speak. Stick with what is obvious and visible.

darklyndsea
September 20th, 2014, 07:10 PM

I agree, but do we really need to standardize? Everybody already uses whatever points they can distinguish most easily on their own body. Plus, I must admit it would be a bit awkward to reference somebody else's butt when they ask what length they're at, unless we came up with a euphemism like we have with "classic" length.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 20th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Oh, I wouldn't find it awkward. The only people likely to be discussing it would be here on LHC and , well, we already use BCL here.... Besides, it is hardly a rude thing to say.

Marbid
September 20th, 2014, 07:20 PM
I think it might be hard to come up with an euphemism... I mean its like creating a whole new length marker.. ( i personally like to standardize, altho we can choose not to abide by the standard measurements as individuals.. I don't think its a good idea to have a length thread for each persons personal body marker {we kinda have that with the unorthodox length markers thread} but sometimes we like to group together into commonly known body markers...)

Which is why i say it would be hard to come up with an euphemism for bcl....

We would have to make it well known in the lhc community.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 20th, 2014, 07:25 PM
I thought it already was well known in the LHC community.

cathair
September 20th, 2014, 07:30 PM
TBL already had a politer easier to find version which was sit length, when it touches the chair, although I think it is a minute amount longer than actual TBL. It didn't really catch on though and I prefer TBL tbh. I don't think it's that hard to find. It's less subjective too, I would have to guess where the middle of my bum was. Then you'd have people looking at other people's length shots, trying to figure out the size of their bums instead of looking at their hair. It would just get ridiculous.

Melika
September 20th, 2014, 08:55 PM
So... I sort of have a pet-peeve when it comes to what is the actual "tailbone". The tailbone is more accurately called the coccyx and is the last 'joint' in the spine.

Please see image:
http://www.coccyxcushionreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/tailbone-pain-cause.jpg

The male and female coccyx can be located at different heights, due to a difference in the curvature of the lower spine (to allow for childbirth, the coccyx of the female usually has less curvature). You can clearly see the coccyx in close-up the image below (vertical cross-section of the female pelvis): the dotted line pointing to the lesser sciatic foramen is passing through the coccyx.

http://edoctoronline.com/medical-atlas.asp?c=4&id=22048

You can really see in the second image how low the coccyx truly is. The ischial tuberosity is the part of the pelvis we actually sit on, particularly when sitting properly. The coccyx is deep into the pelvis and is difficult to palapate/feel as it usually curves inward and is well below the "BCL" mark.

What I find most people call TBL when it comes to hair length, is actually the top of the sacrum, immediately below L5 (or if you're really special, L6! But I digress...) or I have also seen it marked as the area of the sacrum where it begins to 'wing out' from the body, which is vaguely lower than 'hip'; which I understand to mean the most superior (or highest) aspect of the pelvis, whatever that means to each individual.

There are variations in each person, which has been noted. The end of the coccyx can be located immediately superior (or above) to the rectum, or there can be some space between the two. In either instance, palpating the true end of the coccyx is usually not comfortable, as it can be quite tender.

*Ah I found an image of the lengths I see described most often: http://www.hairfinder.com/info/hair-length-chart.gif

The few times I have seen classic length described it was said that if you were sitting on your hair, this was classic. If we begin calling TBL more accurately by where the coccyx really is, it would barely be above classic. Of course, those with more... gluteal mass might take longer to get to classic since there is more distance. I have also seen classic described as being wherever your gluteal fold is.

There is a lot of ambiguity in all the lengths, I think. It is frustrating to be given anatomical marks to watch for only to learn that they are being used inaccurately, but it's also sort of nice to be able to 'fudge' it a bit if we really want to make ourselves feel better. XD

Personally, I call my hair TBL because it is falling somewhere on my sacrum and that seems to be the general consensus for TBL (or it was last year). I will call it classic when it reaches my gluteal fold.

I hope this made sense, and isn't sounding too highfalutin. I'm a massage therapist, so anatomy is sort of a thing... forgive me if I sound too particular please.

eadwine
September 21st, 2014, 01:27 AM
Whatever the consensus is going to become, I will never EVER call my hair butt crack length. My argument for never adopting the term is that it is bad enough with the comments I read around here that people get "don't you sit on it when on the toilet, eww poop against your hair!!" no need to add any fuel to that fire.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 21st, 2014, 03:17 AM
Whatever the consensus is going to become, I will never EVER call my hair butt crack length. My argument for never adopting the term is that it is bad enough with the comments I read around here that people get "don't you sit on it when on the toilet, eww poop against your hair!!" no need to add any fuel to that fire.

Oh, I am not meaning to call it that IRL, just on LHC, where nobody makes hair-poop remarks......

eadwine
September 21st, 2014, 03:37 AM
Still.. the term just weirds me out. :lol:

Mind the fact that we are talking about butt cracks to determine how long the hair is weirds me out. You don't even talk about your butt crack in public, why use it for naming a length here?

Anyway.. yeah I am just finding this whole thing weird per definition. *shrug*

littlemonster
September 21st, 2014, 06:07 AM
Melika, in was going off like the first photo which shows it about half way down the butt. I know where mine is as sadly I hit it hard (well, fell on the top part) a while ago and it still aches. I assume what most people can feel is the top part due to how it curves? Also I meant the gluteas medius in my previous post, this is why I should just go to bed at times. *smacks self*

Maybe BCL could be called sub-classic if we need one there about there? I must admit I'm not sure I'd ever want to use that term.

dogzdinner
September 21st, 2014, 06:13 AM
Think Im gonna stick with BCL and classic! Both lengths that I can easily see and dont involve me prodding around my cellulite looking for long lost bones!!LOL

lapushka
September 21st, 2014, 06:29 AM
Yeah, I'm with eadwine, I'll keep calling it TBL and will only be calling when (and if) I get there! Thankyouverymuch! :) ;)

WaitingSoLong
September 21st, 2014, 08:00 AM
It's not in the crack, honestly ;)

Perhaps not on you but definitely on me ;)

I disagree. The idea is that we can look at each other's pictures and make a judgment about their length. Someone may LOOK TBL and not actually BE at TBL. Classic is supposedly half body height (50%) but it is TBL exactly on me (38" but 32" if measured from the top of my head down. Measuring from the front of my hairline adds exactly 6" to my length, which is another point to consider since we DON'T measure from the top of our heads, hairlines are also all in different places. I have a widow's peak that adds a good inch to my measurements from someone who doesn't have one). I am 5'4" also and waist is 31" on me BUT it changes depending on my current weight.

What a good idea. We shouldn't have to grope around for reference points, so to speak. Stick with what is obvious and visible.

Exactly, though someone else's butt crack is not obvious or visible to us (hopefully LOL)

Then you'd have people looking at other people's length shots, trying to figure out the size of their bums instead of looking at their hair. It would just get ridiculous.

THIS. While this is sort of funny, I think some could be offended. Body sizes are unique and comparing them to measure hair seems unfair.

So... I sort of have a pet-peeve when it comes to what is the actual "tailbone". The tailbone is more accurately called the coccyx and is the last 'joint' in the spine.

<snip>

In either instance, palpating the true end of the coccyx is usually not comfortable, as it can be quite tender.

<snip>

*Ah I found an image of the lengths I see described most often: http://www.hairfinder.com/info/hair-length-chart.gif

<snip>

I will call it classic when it reaches my gluteal fold.

I go by the bones when possible because my bone locations do not move like my fat or flesh formations.

I have no trouble palpating my coccyx end at all but I will say it is nowhere near Classic. I did have one rather large baby and perhaps mine is pushed out further to be more easily palpated?

Ok I have heard the gluteal fold as being the top and the bottom of the bum. Which is it? :confused:

At any rate, I think people can just go by whatever markers they want. If one wants to claim TBL before TBL then if that makes them happy, who cares :). Hip length is called at all different sorts of places and some are nowhere near the hip bones. It's a marker and if that is the part people want to use as the marker then so be it.;)

When I first came to LHC I called my hips "waist length" because that is where the waist of my pants is. I was corrected. :shrug: At the end of the day, I will look at someone and say "oh she has pretty TBL hair" and maybe she is really at hip or BCL or whatever.

We choose visible markers because that is what we see on others and some parts of the body appeal to us. I personally think TBL is a beautiful length, the most desirable aesthetically IMO. So I use TBL as a marker on myself.

The link Melika provided with the hair length chart coincides with all of my ideas of markers. I just think that the cartoon model's body type is so atypical that you still have to make judgment calls when trying to line something like that up with your own body size and shape. Two people can be the same height and have a major different in torso length. Nothing can be standardized because bodies are not standard!

I just make my own personal standards and what everyone else wants to do is up to them :D

Melika
September 21st, 2014, 08:24 AM
I love pictures.

Thanks to http://northadelaidefitness.wordpress.com/ through a google image search, I sort of found what I was looking for.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Melika/LongHair/coccyx_zps7834fa02.png

So I outlined and highlighted the coccyx in green. The muscle which might attach to it is gluteus maximus. I say "might attach" because we are all different and it may or might not depending on the individual. Why does the coccyx look squashed and funny, you may ask? From this point of view (posterior) the coccyx is curving underneath the body towards the anterior side, so it is foreshortened.

To palpate the coccyx, ... okay I can't use normal words for this. Maybe a video...

Oh yay- Video! ****Warning, this video does contain short clips of internal parts of human cadavres. I love Erik Dalton, and his classes, and this technique. While he is focusing on treatment, you can see how deep into the tissue/glutes you actually go to palpate- and how low the coccyx is on the body. You get a better idea of where it is from an external view. XD (this work is not comfortable, as I said before, it can be quite tender)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKiP-jYVZUY

I hope this helps when it comes to understanding and locating your coccyx, which is more for fun than anything.

Also, while standing, the actual coccyx can be at different levels not just depending on gender, but on posture!
http://alteringperception.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/posture-charts.gif

As far as hair length, I too wouldn't ever call mine 'BCL'. I am choosing to understand TBL to be, in reality, SBL (sacral bone length). It's prettier to say, and the general public can understand this term (inaccurately but close enough).

Edited to add: Gluteal fold, proper definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluteal_sulcus
And yes, everyone's gluteal fold will be different. Some are high, and some are low.

As my anatomy instructor liked to say (and now I say as well), "It is the truth of your body."

BogwoodElf
September 21st, 2014, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I'm with eadwine, I'll keep calling it TBL and will only be calling when (and if) I get there! Thankyouverymuch! :) ;)

:laugh: I think most people realize that the tailbone, is in fact located inside of your "buttcrack". :p So if I say "buttcrack" or "tailbone" or "coccyx", your random person is still going to be put in mind of my bum, and its' adorable cleft. :o

Anyway, who says it in real life? I have never uttered any of these terms in real life. :shrug: I only use the term, typing in this forum, I have no need to ever discuss these constant length lines, anywhere IRL.

Furthermore, having actually broken my coccyx, during childbirth once, it's not my favorite body part to discuss. I'm rather glad that I do not have to see it, or easily feel it, to remind me of what an evil pain in the butt, it can be. :rolleyes:

And in that insignificant way... I would rather type "BCL", than "TBL", the latter making me flinch, and the former making me giggle. ;)

Maybe we should just start saying this:

"At present I'm :tmi:length, and headed towards classic!"

eadwine
September 21st, 2014, 09:48 AM
What length are you??

"I'm THERE, y'know".

I live in the length down under... la laaaaa.. something like that.

How about.. BCL.. butt CHEEK length. It gets trapped in there, dunnit? Why not call it that then *giggle*

BogwoodElf
September 21st, 2014, 09:50 AM
What length are you??

"I'm THERE, y'know".

I live in the length down under... la laaaaa.. something like that.

How about.. BCL.. butt CHEEK length. It gets trapped in there, dunnit? Why not call it that then *giggle*

Ah matey, I be at "tickle me biscuits" length, if ye be know'in what I means.

two_wheels
September 21st, 2014, 09:52 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: I was going to suggest some markers from the other side, but this forum ain't ready for that yet.

BogwoodElf
September 21st, 2014, 09:54 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: I was going to suggest some markers from the other side, but this forum ain't ready for that yet.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

eadwine
September 21st, 2014, 10:00 AM
Lip length.. I don't see anything wrong with that one ;)

tetisheri72
September 21st, 2014, 10:02 AM

We really need a like button on this forum. :p

More in topic. I saw my grandmother a couple of weeks ago. My hair has just reached BCL. When asked, I told her it was a little pays my hips. I wasn't about to tell my 87 year old grandma my hair was butt crack length.

BogwoodElf
September 21st, 2014, 10:03 AM

:run:

It is SO sad, that I just paused to observe if that is, or is not, level with my tailbone. :couch:

two_wheels
September 21st, 2014, 10:07 AM
Well, that's my goal length updated.
Tetisheri, I can't say I blame you - although I find older ladies quite robust concerning these things!

tetisheri72
September 21st, 2014, 10:08 AM

Snerk! Love it.

BogwoodElf
September 21st, 2014, 10:09 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:! Oh, may I take a leaf from your book? I would like to mark mine that as well...

Tetisheri, I can't say I blame you - although I find older ladies quite robust concerning these things!

two_wheels
September 21st, 2014, 10:11 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:! Oh, may I take a leaf from your book? I would like to mark mine that as well...

I stole it from your siggy, so I don't see why not!

BogwoodElf
September 21st, 2014, 10:14 AM
Sweet. :love:
I stole it from your siggy, so I don't see why not!

cathair
September 21st, 2014, 10:17 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/cbov6.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/cbov6)

http://i.imgur.com/UsNRvQj.jpg

BogwoodElf
September 21st, 2014, 10:18 AM

I've spit my drink all over my laptop...

Johannah
September 21st, 2014, 10:19 AM

:rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin:

cathair
September 21st, 2014, 10:21 AM
I've spit my drink all over my laptop...

:rolling: Sorry, I'm not laughing, it's not funny really *wipes a tear* :D

two_wheels
September 21st, 2014, 10:25 AM
Well, Jean-Luc, if I'm going to have to rummage around for a body marker, I know which side I'd prefer.

Melika
September 21st, 2014, 10:28 AM
Well, Jean-Luc, if I'm going to have to rummage around for a body marker, I know which side I'd prefer.

This... is very true. XD

BogwoodElf
September 21st, 2014, 10:31 AM

:hmm:

:wink:

eadwine
September 21st, 2014, 10:32 AM

And now for the first guy at this length.....

Johannah
September 21st, 2014, 10:35 AM

:demon::demon::demon::demon::demon:

BogwoodElf
September 21st, 2014, 10:37 AM

:popcorn: :bounce:

cathair
September 21st, 2014, 10:38 AM

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:Your logic is infallible Number One :)

Buried deep within you, beneath all the years of pain and anger, there is something that has never been nurtured: the potential to make yourself a better long hair. And that is what it is to be long hair. To make your hair longer than it was. Oh, yes — I know you. There was a time you looked at the stars and dreamed of where TBL might be.

lapushka
September 21st, 2014, 01:09 PM
Now I know what they mean by come over to the dark side we have... cookies. ;) :p

tetisheri72
September 21st, 2014, 01:54 PM

Yeah, I know a few that would have thought it hilarious. But my grandmother looks at you funny if you say shoot, let alone butt crack. Very, very, very conservative lady.

tetisheri72
September 21st, 2014, 01:59 PM

:agree:

Total quality post.

AmyBeth
September 21st, 2014, 02:34 PM
So... Have we reached consensus yet?:lol:

two_wheels
September 21st, 2014, 02:35 PM
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:Your logic is infallible Number One :)

Buried deep within you, beneath all the years of pain and anger, there is something that has never been nurtured: the potential to make yourself a better long hair. And that is what it is to be long hair. To make your hair longer than it was. Oh, yes — I know you. There was a time you looked at the stars and dreamed of where TBL might be.

:spitting:

All of this is soooo theoretical for me. But it's fun to make up rules.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 21st, 2014, 03:13 PM
Consensus? What's that?:)

lapushka
September 21st, 2014, 04:32 PM
Well I'm still calling it TBL, and I'm going with an inch beyond BCL.

WaitingSoLong
September 21st, 2014, 06:12 PM
Holy cow. I am dying laughing. Jean Luc...:spitting:

Marbid
September 21st, 2014, 11:52 PM
I guess no... We do not have agreement.. Dont think we ever will. Gues for this region we will just call it where we want it to be...

I am going with BCL.... then apparantly TBL ( as per its likely anatomical location ) then CL

Agnes Hannah
September 22nd, 2014, 10:46 AM
What about"the unmentionables length that make you giggle" or the "oh er length" or simply "The naughty but hysterically funny" length

eadwine
September 22nd, 2014, 02:45 PM
Hoo hoo length.. I guess. Nah I am going by TBL wherever I think my TBL is. Honestly I cannot wait to join the TBL to classic thread.. new territory for me then! :D

NormaJean
September 22nd, 2014, 03:44 PM
Tailbone for me will be when I can touch hair to the bottom of my coccyx. Right now I have the very tip of a wispy end touching the top of my coccyx, but it doesn't count yet! :-P

harpgal
September 22nd, 2014, 04:34 PM
Tailbone length is (and always has been) at the top of the "vertical smile". It is NOT at the bottom of the tailbone. It never has been. There is no such thing as BCL. Honestly, I don't know where this "bottom of the coccyx" has come from.

NormaJean
September 22nd, 2014, 04:50 PM
I'm an anthropologist and an EMT, so for me and my world that revolves around actual anatomy, that's what tailbone means - the coccyx. That's where it comes from.

Edit: On a totally unrelated but equally polarizing note, Salzedo or Grandjany, harpgal?

cathair
September 22nd, 2014, 04:54 PM
Vertical smile sounds so much ruder to be than butt crack :confused:

Hootenanny
September 22nd, 2014, 05:16 PM
Tailbone length is (and always has been) at the top of the "vertical smile". It is NOT at the bottom of the tailbone. It never has been. There is no such thing as BCL. Honestly, I don't know where this "bottom of the coccyx" has come from.

But the tailbone IS the coccyx: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/tailbone-coccyx-injury , http://www.emedicinehealth.com/tailbone_coccyx_injury/article_em.htm , http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spine-anatomy/anatomy-coccyx-tailbone .

I'm not trying to be difficult, honestly. :) If we all decide to call tailbone at something other than its anatomical location, I'm more than happy to go along with it. And I guess that's exactly what this thread is about: getting consensus on where to call it. I'm just finding it hard to understand why it would be called tailbone if it's somewhere other than its anatomical location. But I'm open to having it explained to me! :)

Sarahlabyrinth
September 22nd, 2014, 11:26 PM
If TBL is (and always has been) at the top of the vertical smile, then that's where I'm going to call it.

neko_kawaii
September 22nd, 2014, 11:41 PM
The consensus is that that people who don't like Butt Crack Length can call that marker TailBone Length and people who have handled human anatomy can call the bottom tip of the coccyx TailBone Length.

I say screw it all and lets celebrate clit length.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 22nd, 2014, 11:52 PM
The consensus is that that people who don't like Butt Crack Length can call that marker TailBone Length and people who have handled human anatomy can call the bottom tip of the coccyx TailBone Length.

Can't do that, Neko, some folks don't have'em :)

neko_kawaii
September 22nd, 2014, 11:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAf8bFvNf2c

cathair
September 23rd, 2014, 08:14 AM

:blueeek: :spitting: :rollin: :rolling: I nearly fell off my chair, literally!! Well, it's better than flap length!! No one wants to be arguing about the length of those :D

Can't do that, Neko, some folks don't have'em :)

Since our recent anatomy lesson, I am wondering if we can do tailbone, since mens and womens are different? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAf8bFvNf2c

Another thing I wish there was a like button for :)

For what it's worth, I'm still going with anatomical tailbone with sit length as a double check. I don't think tailbone BCL is tailbone, because... well... that isn't your tailbone. I'd rather go too low than too high.

brickworld13
September 23rd, 2014, 08:25 AM
:spitting: :bigeyes: Well this thread is an interesting one.

I've been calling my hair TB and it touches the floor when I'm sitting cross-legged, but only just barely. When it's wet, there is much more floor contact.

Purdy Bear
September 23rd, 2014, 01:18 PM
The bit I used to go by was the part of the spine that is the bump, which for me is about an inch higher then the butt crack, so that would give me two lengths. The one thing I can remember having that long a hair is anything much longer is a real pain as you sit on it and it jerks your head. My hair even got stuck in cupboard doors etc and forever more I promised myself I would only have hair shorter then I could sit on. Now I don't need to worry due to the Alopecia Univarlis.

harpgal
September 23rd, 2014, 01:38 PM
I'm an anthropologist and an EMT, so for me and my world that revolves around actual anatomy, that's what tailbone means - the coccyx. That's where it comes from.

Edit: On a totally unrelated but equally polarizing note, Salzedo or Grandjany, harpgal?
NormaJean. I am a student of the French school...Henriette Renié, therefore Grandjany. I've had instructors who actually studied with both of them.

TB length is measured at the top of the coccyx, not at the bottom. I can't even imagine sticking my finger down there to measure my hair length. :rolleyes:

But the tailbone IS the coccyx: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/tailbone-coccyx-injury , http://www.emedicinehealth.com/tailbone_coccyx_injury/article_em.htm , http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spine-anatomy/anatomy-coccyx-tailbone.

Yes, it is and the measurement is at the top not the bottom of the coccyx.

cathair
September 23rd, 2014, 01:42 PM
NormaJean. I am a student of the French school...Henriette Renié, therefore Grandjany. I've had instructors who actually studied with both of them.

TB length is measured at the top of the coccyx, not at the bottom. I can't even imagine sticking my finger down there to measure my hair length. :rolleyes:

Yes, it is and the measurement is at the top not the bottom of the coccyx.

The coccyx isn't very large (see link). I'm not sure how you could find it without sticking your finger 'down there'.

Maybe we should start measuring hair lengths by the letter and number names of vertebrae for anatomical accuracy? :P (also see link)

http://cnx.org/resources/d10efffc4747ac6fb6cc43d0eab897b4/Figure_38_01_07.jpg

Emanuelle
September 23rd, 2014, 01:47 PM
The end of my tailbone an inch below BCL.

BogwoodElf
September 23rd, 2014, 04:58 PM

If we're measuring at the top of our tailbone, then we may as well call it BCL. And if we're measuring at the bottom of our coccyx, then we may as well call that TBL.

Furthermore, why are people scared of their bums???

::gasp!:: Your finger there?!
Where?:p For heave's sake.

Do you clean your bottom? I do.
Do you have a lover? I do.
Geez, it's your bum.
Why are you scared of it???

I'm not scared of my bum.
My lover isn't scared of my bum.
Way too many midwives and nurses have seen and touched my darn bum.
I keep my bum clean, and smooth, and moisturized.
I love my bum.
My husband loves my bum.

And the tip of my coccyx is at least and inch or so away from my anus, so even if I was deathly afraid of my anus (I'm not, I like it just fine), my finger is still in perfectly safe territory. :rolleyes:

If we are to be scared of our buttcrack territory, then obviously we should just skip from hip to classic, and never speak of our cheeks.

Sorry to rant... and bum brag:blushing:... but seriously! What's with the butt fear?

But then... as an official bum-wiper of many, maybe I have just lost my innocence on the topic. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Embrace your bum! It's yours, after all.

CurlyCap
September 23rd, 2014, 05:17 PM
If we're measuring at the top of our tailbone, then we may as well call it BCL. And if we're measuring at the bottom of our coccyx, then we may as well call that TBL.

Geez, it's your bum.

I love my bum.
My husband loves my bum.

And the tip of my coccyx is at least and inch or so away from my anus, so even if I was deathly afraid of my anus (I'm not, I like it just fine), my finger is still in perfectly safe territory. :rolleyes:

If we are to be scared of our buttcrack territory, then obviously we should just skip from hip to classic, and never speak of our cheeks.

Sorry to rant... and bum brag:blushing:... but seriously! What's with the butt fear?

But then... as an official bum-wiper of many, maybe I have just lost my innocence on the topic. :laugh:

This post is the winner of all posts. :applause:agree::bowtome::thumbsup:

RapunzelKat
September 23rd, 2014, 05:30 PM

Geez, it's your bum.

I love my bum.
My husband loves my bum.

But then... as an official bum-wiper of many, maybe I have just lost my innocence on the topic. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Poetry!! :lol: :rollin: :spitting:
You win the thread!

NormaJean
September 23rd, 2014, 05:38 PM

Geez, it's your bum.

I love my bum.
My husband loves my bum.

CHEERS! I'm not afraid of a little crack either. My tailbone is very much down there and I have no problem feeling it out to compare it to my hair length. There are so many worse things out there than a perfectly clean butt crack!

On the offtopic thing, harpgal, I sent you a friends request because I'm a harpist too. Well, a harp student, more accurately. I'm taking lessons from a Salzedo girl because there are limited options where I live, but I am a constant disappointment to her because I won't do the big dramatic hand movements. Oh well. It's not like I'm taking lessons to put on a performance for anybody.... just enjoying the instrument as a much needed break from the rest of my life to indulge in beauty and grace for the sake of beauty and grace. <3

ETA: yes, I realize how ironic the juxtaposition of those two paragraphs might be to the casual observer. lol

BogwoodElf
September 23rd, 2014, 06:28 PM
This post is the winner of all posts. :applause:agree::bowtome::thumbsup:

Poetry!! :lol: :rollin: :spitting:
You win the thread!

CHEERS! I'm not afraid of a little crack either. My tailbone is very much down there and I have no problem feeling it out to compare it to my hair length. There are so many worse things out there than a perfectly clean butt crack!

:flower: :flower: :flower:

WaitingSoLong
September 24th, 2014, 04:57 AM
That was awesome BogwoodElf. I have to say, I was thinking the same thing, though nearly not as creatively. I am a clean freak and did not find it disgusting.

I have also never understood the sidestepping around body parts. We all have them (well mostly) and even the ones of the different sexes are still natural! If I wasn't so cold all the time I would probably walk around nude. Ok it MAY be illegal...LOL.

Anyway, back OT, TBL is a "look" to me, not an exact body part. :shrug:

brickworld13
September 24th, 2014, 08:02 AM

Geez, it's your bum.

I love my bum.
My husband loves my bum.

:violin: I have to put this to music I love it so much.

That was awesome BogwoodElf. I have to say, I was thinking the same thing, though nearly not as creatively. I am a clean freak and did not find it disgusting.

I have also never understood the sidestepping around body parts. We all have them (well mostly) and even the ones of the different sexes are still natural! If I wasn't so cold all the time I would probably walk around nude. Ok it MAY be illegal...LOL.

Anyway, back OT, TBL is a "look" to me, not an exact body part. :shrug:

I was super excited to get curtains for my windows because now I don't have to worry about getting in trouble with the law for being naked in my own house. Why do people have such a problem with naked bodies? Everybody has a body. Why is public nudity used to shame people? :confused:

BogwoodElf
September 24th, 2014, 12:42 PM
I was super excited to get curtains for my windows because now I don't have to worry about getting in trouble with the law for being naked in my own house. Why do people have such a problem with naked bodies? Everybody has a body. Why is public nudity used to shame people? :confused:

That's weird. How can you get in trouble for being naked INSIDE of your property? Whereas when the fuzz shows up at your door, shouldn't you be able to press charges against your neighbors for STARING into your windows and VIOLATING YOUR PRIVACY???

Seriously people. It's like when someone is offended by breastfeeding in public, but WON'T STOP LOOKING. If I dislike something I see (I do, I'm not nearly as open and perfect as I would like to be) I LOOK AWAY.

:confused:

brickworld13
September 24th, 2014, 12:58 PM
That's weird. How can you get in trouble for being naked INSIDE of your property? Whereas when the fuzz shows up at your door, shouldn't you be able to press charges against your neighbors for STARING into your windows and VIOLATING YOUR PRIVACY???

Seriously people. It's like when someone is offended by breastfeeding in public, but WON'T STOP LOOKING. If I dislike something I see (I do, I'm not nearly as open and perfect as I would like to be) I LOOK AWAY.

:confused:

Public decency laws are weird stuff. If people can see into your house from the street and get upset that you are naked, then you can get in trouble with Mr. Fuzz if they report it.

Stormynights
September 24th, 2014, 01:13 PM
When I got out of the shower today I looked and my hair was just touching my rear cleavage. I think I will call mine rear cleavage length.

BogwoodElf
September 24th, 2014, 01:58 PM
When I got out of the shower today I looked and my hair was just touching my rear cleavage. I think I will call mine rear cleavage length.

:laugh: Brilliant. :o

WaitingSoLong
September 24th, 2014, 07:37 PM
This is why I live in the boonies. Nakedness in my house,even with curtains open, is doable. I just wait til there's no one home. It's just too bad I am always so cold.

Umm, hair. Yeah.

Kina
September 25th, 2014, 04:55 AM

THIS! :applause

Aaroo
October 4th, 2015, 04:12 AM
Bump for this, as the debate of where is the tailbone length is an everlasting question for human race!

If it is BCL then I am there (in the straight form, this picture has waves), if not I have to wait :(

http://i.imgur.com/Qgm8leJ.jpg?1

Sarahlabyrinth
October 4th, 2015, 04:52 AM
Well, I think BCL would be where your tailbone would begin....

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 05:30 AM
BHL and clit length.... still laughing Ahahahahahahaha and I thought bcl tbl and classic length were tmi lengths

KittyBird
October 4th, 2015, 05:47 AM
BHL and clit length.... still laughing Ahahahahahahaha and I thought bcl tbl and classic length were tmi lengths
When I was at tbl, I thouht it was more fun to think of it as PHL (pubic hair length), because that was where it reached when I pulled it to the front. :p Never called it that here on the forum though.

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 06:43 AM
When I was at tbl, I thouht it was more fun to think of it as PHL (pubic hair length), because that was where it reached when I pulled it to the front. :p Never called it that here on the forum though.

o_o I actually have that goal secretly in my mind instead of TBL! Its easier to measure than the actual TBL!
pubic hair length a.k.a when you can pee your hair accidentaly in the toilet length

cat11
October 4th, 2015, 07:14 AM

hahahaha for real. I don't know if people are ever going to come to a complete consensus about TBL. I just read the first 50 pages of the tbl-classic thread the other day and people were debating it back then (2009) too. Some said half of moon, some top of the crack, some seemed to call it at low hip. Bah.

I'm going for hip first and then tbl, so It's not an immediate worry for me, but since there is a "waist to tailbone" thread I suppose it's coming up soon so I should figure out where I'm going to call it.

Before I joined LHC and for a while in the beginning I thought tailbone length was more of an abstract visual thing, like when the hair was hip + length and right above your butt. Like top of the crack. That's also where my tailbone is. So when My hair brushes..... that... I guess I'll call tailbone length.

<333

*ReiKa*
October 4th, 2015, 07:27 AM
At first I also thought that TBL was the top of the crack, but that, in theory, it's the beginning of BCL.
And it'll still be BCL until you reach the tip of your coccyx (go find it, it's commonly located halfway through your butt), when you reach that, it's TBL. And it will continue to be TBL until you reach the bottom of your butt, where classic lenght starts.

That is what I got explained here and what I'm referring to when talking about my lenght.

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 07:28 AM
hahahaha for real. I don't know if people are ever going to come to a complete consensus about TBL. I just read the first 50 pages of the tbl-classic thread the other day and people were debating it back then (2009) too. Some said half of moon, some top of the crack, some seemed to call it at low hip. Bah.

I'm going for hip first and then tbl, so It's not an immediate worry for me, but since there is a "waist to tailbone" thread I suppose it's coming up soon so I should figure out where I'm going to call it.

Before I joined LHC and for a while in the beginning I thought tailbone length was more of an abstract visual thing, like when the hair was hip + length and right above your butt. Like top of the crack. That's also where my tailbone is. So when My hair brushes..... that... I guess I'll call tailbone length.

<333

Hahahahaha I was also confused, I found the actual end of my tailbone but it's kinda awkward to check every time if I'm yet there, so I'll just check when my hair is close to my pubic bone AND my wrist, since thats kinda the level of my TBL. But still it would be more easy if we called it middle butt or something like that. Couse we all kinda have an image of where our middle butt is, right?

And the worst thing is when a non LHC person asks you about how long is your hair. :neutral:

*ReiKa*
October 4th, 2015, 07:40 AM
Hahahahaha I was also confused, I found the actual end of my tailbone but it's kinda awkward to check every time if I'm yet there, so I'll just check when my hair is close to my pubic bone AND my wrist, since thats kinda the level of my TBL. But still it would be more easy if we called it middle butt or something like that. Couse we all kinda have an image of where our middle butt is, right?

And the worst thing is when a non LHC person asks you about how long is your hair. :neutral:

I agree, middle butt lenght sounds better and especially clearer to be honest. But we'll have to find an acronym for it cos there's already MBL (mid-back lenght). I'm gonna suggest MBUL :p

When a non LHC person asks me I just say tailbone lenght. But non LHC people are even more confused than us about it, I can assure you, a woman once referred to my TBL hair as hip lenght!!!!!

Nique1202
October 4th, 2015, 07:52 AM
At first I also thought that TBL was the top of the crack, but that, in theory, it's the beginning of BCL.
And it'll still be BCL until you reach the tip of your coccyx (go find it, it's commonly located halfway through your butt), when you reach that, it's TBL. And it will continue to be TBL until you reach the bottom of your butt, where classic lenght starts.

That is what I got explained here and what I'm referring to when talking about my lenght.

This is why I generally say if you can't or don't want to find your anatomical tailbone (which is fine) it's still more accurate to call tbl at mid-bum than at the top of the bum. If you don't like BCL as a term, call it bum length! It's the same thing since we tend to measure from the top of a marker if it's long (like hip) and it still A) sounds quite long, and B) is easily recognizable by anyone without being TMI. It's a little vague, but so are some of the markers (how many people can properly identify their natural waist? How many people even have the same length measurements at waist?) and at least it's accurate.

IMO calling your sacrum your tailbone doesn't make it your tailbone. I firmly believe that tradition shouldn't be upheld just for tradition's sake when it's based on faulty labels. I won't argue too hard with anyone who wants to call tailbone at the top of the bum, but I will point out the difference or at least roll my eyes before I keep on scrolling.

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 07:56 AM
I agree, middle butt lenght sounds better and especially clearer to be honest. But we'll have to find an acronym for it cos there's already MBL (mid-back lenght). I'm gonna suggest MBUL :p

When a non LHC person asks me I just say tailbone lenght. But non LHC people are even more confused than us about it, I can assure you, a woman once referred to my TBL hair as hip lenght!!!!!

Ahahahahahaha gosh the conversations about TBL allways amuses me.
I don't even know how tailbone is translated to my language. If I'm gonna let non LHCrs know about TBL they would be like "NO NO I asked you about your hair, how long it is?"
And I get the same confusion about hip length in real life. They actually think that classic length is hip length, and I'm sure I've seen on internet too some misplaced charts of hip length.

P.S.http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-love-mbul-4.png

*ReiKa*
October 4th, 2015, 08:13 AM
You know what, it also depends on what you're wearing! Some clothes aren't ideal for visual measurement of hair lenght (loose dresses, loose jeans/trousers, long shirts) because they may make you perceive your hair lenght differently.
I always wear tight jeans and short t-shirts when I want to take a picture of my hair to physically see where it's reaching.
But the best way to measure it for yourself is by reaching behind with your hands and feeling where the ends are touching.

wilderwein, ahahhahahha that's fantastic!! where did u find it? I'm curious on what MBUL stands for there :p

DreamSheep
October 4th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Hee hee I am having so much fun reading this topic! :)

For me TBL is I guess, technically, just above the butt-hole... but measuring it is hard because I obviously don't really want to get my hair there :p
I would say that (at least on me) it is further down than BCL, but then I don't know how coccyx or tailbone anatomy varies across people x'D

Also, pubic hair length *should* be a term - that is just perfect (and more easily measurable)! :)

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 08:24 AM
wilderwein, ahahhahahha that's fantastic!! where did u find it? I'm curious on what MBUL stands for there :p
The MB on some sites stands for mountain biking, now I haven't figured yet what the UL stands for on those sites :lol:
If we start using that term, people may think we are athletes :eyebrows:

Dreamsheep I upvote for the pubic hair length too! Tho it's kinda obvious how someone may misunderstand that term.....

New LHC member "Oh that site is sooo greaaat, so many nice people, oh wait. What PHL staands for? OH pubic hair length :)........ WAIT WHAT? Those people actually measure and grow their pubes too? :bigeyes:"

Estrid
October 4th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Haha, I did not expect this when I clicked on this thread :redgrin:

My tailbone seems to end approx 1 -1 ½ inch below BCL, I hope I will remember that in the future so that I don't have to *e-hum* "find it" again

school of fish
October 4th, 2015, 08:34 AM
I've just read through this whole thread and it's given me such pleasure, haha!

As a relative newbie I certainly won't presume to dictate to long-term members whether we should be classifying anatomical markers by technical accuracy or visual impact, but I know what makes sense to me on my own body and am going by that :) So for me BCL is the top of the vertical line that separates my cheeks, classic is the horizontal line at the bottom of my cheeks, and TBL is about halfway in between - and that's a visual marker rather than an anatomical one on me.

I think this discussion could go on forever since our proportions and our postures are so highly individual, not to mention the fact that comfort levels about discussing intimate body parts is going to be all over the map. But as one who has no issue talking body parts I'm totally enjoying the creative suggestions that have been pitched: BHL, lips, flaps... too funny!!!

My goal length is TBL but for the sake of simplicity can I just say I'm going half-ass?

school of fish
October 4th, 2015, 08:38 AM
<snip>

Also, pubic hair length *should* be a term - that is just perfect (and more easily measurable)! :)

But what if one is always rocking a Brazilian? ;D

hanne jensen
October 4th, 2015, 10:11 AM
In understand where TBL is on other people but can't for the life of me find it on myself. So, I'm skipping that milestone completely and going directly from hip (when I reach it) to Classic length.

dancingrain91
October 4th, 2015, 11:02 AM
In understand where TBL is on other people but can't for the life of me find it on myself. So, I'm skipping that milestone completely and going directly from hip (when I reach it) to Classic length.

Some people just call BCL tailbone length since BCL is the top of the tailbone. I'm rather bony so it's easy for me to find but I believe another way to find it is to find out where your torso ends when you sit. At least mine is right there. So you could always call it when your hair touches your seat when you sit too.

dancingrain91
October 4th, 2015, 11:03 AM
But what if one is always rocking a Brazilian? ;D

Lol, those of us rocking those looks can celebrate clit length.

Aaroo
October 4th, 2015, 12:44 PM
So happy that I bumped this thread:p

I am definitely at BCL and PBH, but still need an inch or so for BHL, half bum! and presumably TBL, the questionable milestone!

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 12:49 PM
So happy that I bumped this thread:p

I am definitely at BCL and PBH, but still need an inch or so for BHL, half bum! and presumably TBL, the questionable milestone!

50 lengths of hair.... COMING SOON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKLymvwD2U

(supposedly it's the soundtrack)

school of fish
October 4th, 2015, 01:00 PM

Bahahaha!!! Okay but when I claim that length you're all going to have to take my word for it because I will NOT be posting proof pics! *gigglesnort*

lapushka
October 4th, 2015, 03:45 PM
TMI just became more TMI than TMI. *ahem* Did someone actually say cl*t length?! :shocked:

wilderwein
October 4th, 2015, 04:04 PM
TMI just became more TMI than TMI. *ahem* Did someone actually say cl*t length?! :shocked:

Well it's easier to find than tailbone, unless if you ask a man to search for it......
bad joke bad jokeeeeeeeee

two_wheels
October 4th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Well it's easier to find than tailbone, unless if you ask a man to search for it......
Quoted for truth

I still snort love this thread plus it defined my goal length :)

school of fish
October 4th, 2015, 05:43 PM

I think it was actually referenced somewhere earlier upthread as well, but yes it looks like this thread has gone there... ;)

cathair
October 5th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Some people just call BCL tailbone length since BCL is the top of the tailbone. I'm rather bony so it's easy for me to find but I believe another way to find it is to find out where your torso ends when you sit. At least mine is right there. So you could always call it when your hair touches your seat when you sit too.

Can I lower the tone even further and suggest camel toe length? :D The other one is probably a little bit longer than tailbone X)

wilderwein
October 5th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Can I lower the tone even further and suggest camel toe length? :D The other one is probably a little bit longer than tailbone X)

Oh it's an official length in my mind, girl! :sun:

Frankenstein
October 5th, 2015, 11:40 AM

:bounce: This is the best thing I've read all day.

wilderwein
October 5th, 2015, 12:01 PM
:bounce: This is the best thing I've read all day.

:lol: sad but truee

Dessi
October 6th, 2015, 12:38 AM
I just read all these 17 pages of this thread and wow, haven't laughed this hard in a long time. :D
Anyways, TBL for me is where the tailbone ends.

Ingrid
October 6th, 2015, 03:00 AM
And I used to think BSL was a TMI length...

brickworld13
October 9th, 2015, 09:50 AM
I do love this thread. It improved an otherwise bleh Friday.

Kendrix
October 9th, 2015, 04:21 PM
I have such a problem with this length too. I have a big butt. I can find my tailbone, yes. But line it up with my hair? No. No matter what I do, I cannot do that lol. So I am just skipping the butt lengths altogether and aiming for classic.

But seriously guys. Camel toe length? Wtf? XD (don't even want to mention that other one for obvious reasons.)

WyntreBlossom
November 11th, 2018, 11:39 PM
ROTFLMAO!!! Glad I was able to give you all a good holler :lol:
Came here to see where tbl vs BCL were.... ended up laughing myself into a coughing fit. Hard to do when your me XD.

On the bright side I think I can safely say I found my, erm, markers. Im still cackling though. This thread truly made my day XD

Stray_mind
November 12th, 2018, 01:50 AM
My tail bone is pretty well expressed. I can feel it with my fingers, so when my hair hits that bone, i will call TBL.

Dark40
November 12th, 2018, 12:30 PM
In my opinion, I would say BCL and TBL are the same to me.

Ylva
November 12th, 2018, 05:30 PM
Honestly I don't know how I'm supposed to find the end of the tailbone when it curls under, I just find the bit poking out and that's what I've considered the tailbone measurement so far. Since that's clear at least, I suppose I'll call it there on myself. What that point is on the skeleton, I don't know.

Also, reading some of the replies about buttcrack length being awkward and giggly for some people, let alone tailbone... I don't really get it. I don't feel that way about them at all. I guess I'm just perpetually awkward now and have accepted it. A while ago I posted a pic of Facebook and the caption was that my hair is now buttcrack length. :shrug:

Dark40
November 12th, 2018, 05:49 PM
Honestly I don't know how I'm supposed to find the end of the tailbone when it curls under, I just find the bit poking out and that's what I've considered the tailbone measurement so far. Since that's clear at least, I suppose I'll call it there on myself. What that point is on the skeleton, I don't know.

Also, reading some of the replies about buttcrack length being awkward and giggly for some people, let alone tailbone... I don't really get it. I don't feel that way about them at all. I guess I'm just perpetually awkward now and have accepted it. A while ago I posted a pic of Facebook and the caption was that my hair is now buttcrack length. :shrug:

Me too honestly didn't know where the end of the tailbone is either but reading other posts on here I have accepted and learned depending on your height tailbone is where the tailbone ends. Now, skeleton wise I don't know that either.

Now, like others on here I find that buttcrack length is kinda giggly too. You said you posted a pic on Facebook and the caption was that your hair is now buttcrack length? Wow, I would like to see that pic. I'm on Facebook too. Can you please give me your Facebook account name? Thanks! :) So, that I can answer that question for you.

Ylva
November 12th, 2018, 05:54 PM
Me too honestly didn't know where the end of the tailbone is either but reading other posts on here I have accepted and learned depending on your height tailbone is where the tailbone ends. Now, skeleton wise I don't know that either.

Now, like others on here I find that buttcrack length is kinda giggly too. You said you posted a pic on Facebook and the caption was that your hair is now buttcrack length? Wow, I would like to see that pic. I'm on Facebook too. Can you please give me your Facebook account name? Thanks! :) So, that I can answer that question for you.

I can post the picture here. It was this one I captioned as being buttrack length (I hope it shows):

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/41428615_10215024849029003_3893649421627293696_n.j pg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-1.xx&oh=6bc9f3c412b0d36b58912f896dc5e1a3&oe=5C726FD3

I posted it on the 10th of September which was when I decided to call BCL on myself. I know my shirt very effectively hides my body in that picture. :D

C_Bookworm
November 12th, 2018, 06:03 PM
Having a few different definitions floating around out there is fun. Personally, I prefer TBL to be the bottom of my tailbone, simply because I want a few more markers as it grows. If I make TBL the top of my tailbone, it’ll pretty much be the same as BCL, and then it’s going to be a loooong journey to classic.

The lovely TatsuOni also posted a picture of ‘floor length while sitting,’ the length where your hair touches the ground when you’re sitting cross legged, which I think is a brilliant milestone. And I love Crystawni’s descriptions of both wrist and palm length. The more milestones the better, in my book!

AmaryllisRed
November 12th, 2018, 06:52 PM
Having a few different definitions floating around out there is fun. Personally, I prefer TBL to be the bottom of my tailbone, simply because I want a few more markers as it grows. If I make TBL the top of my tailbone, it’ll pretty much be the same as BCL, and then it’s going to be a loooong journey to classic.

The lovely TatsuOni also posted a picture of ‘floor length while sitting,’ the length where your hair touches the ground when you’re sitting cross legged, which I think is a brilliant milestone. And I love Crystawni’s descriptions of both wrist and palm length. The more milestones the better, in my book!

Yes, when it touches the floor when I'm sitting is probably when I'll call tailbone. Maybe another inch or so. For me it's less about knowing exactly where the bone is and more about having a marker between BCL and classic.

Dark40
November 12th, 2018, 07:06 PM
I can post the picture here. It was this one I captioned as being buttrack length (I hope it shows):

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/41428615_10215024849029003_3893649421627293696_n.j pg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-1.xx&oh=6bc9f3c412b0d36b58912f896dc5e1a3&oe=5C726FD3

I posted it on the 10th of September which was when I decided to call BCL on myself. I know my shirt very effectively hides my body in that picture. :D

Ok, thanks! Yes, it shows up. Yes, I would definitely call that BCL too. Yeah, the shirt does hide your body in that picture. That's okay. :D

BTW, I love that shade of blonde your hair is now too! :) I used to bleach my hair that color back in the early 2000s on up to 2008. I really miss my bleached hair. :( The reason why I haven't been bleaching it is because of the kind of relaxer I use to chemically straighten my hair. It doesn't recommend bleach. Or, it will break off or melt my hair away. But when I do color my hair i use Clairol's Nice N Easy lightest shade of blonde, and it lightens up my hair to almost the beautiful shade of blonde like what you have here!!! Especially, if it's on hair that's never been dyed any other color. I haven't colored my in almost a year. So, I think when I do it next month I will have a lot of new growth and demarcation, and my hair will turn out to be a beautiful light blonde!!! :D

daisy rei
November 12th, 2018, 07:27 PM
Oh my, this thread was quite a hoot to read. Clit length (or lip length, hehehe) is my new goal. :thumbsup:

Ylva
November 12th, 2018, 08:10 PM
Ok, thanks! Yes, it shows up. Yes, I would definitely call that BCL too. Yeah, the shirt does hide your body in that picture. That's okay. :D

BTW, I love that shade of blonde your hair is now too! :) I used to bleach my hair that color back in the early 2000s on up to 2008. I really miss my bleached hair. :( The reason why I haven't been bleaching it is because of the kind of relaxer I use to chemically straighten my hair. It doesn't recommend bleach. Or, it will break off or melt my hair away. But when I do color my hair i use Clairol's Nice N Easy lightest shade of blonde, and it lightens up my hair to almost the beautiful shade of blonde like what you have here!!! Especially, if it's on hair that's never been dyed any other color. I haven't colored my in almost a year. So, I think when I do it next month I will have a lot of new growth and demarcation, and my hair will turn out to be a beautiful light blonde!!! :D

Thank you so much for your kind words! Yes, bleach and relaxer or bleach and perm are definitely not a good idea together unfortunately. But I'm glad to hear you've found a colour which works for you and that you can achieve it without too much damage to your hair! :)

Dark40
November 12th, 2018, 08:17 PM
Thank you so much for your kind words! Yes, bleach and relaxer or bleach and perm are definitely not a good idea together unfortunately. But I'm glad to hear you've found a colour which works for you and that you can achieve it without too much damage to your hair! :)

You're welcome! Yeah, that's what I've been reading a lot of google about relaxers and perms don't mix. But I remember when I was bleached before I used to use this relaxer called, "Gentle Treatment," for regular or normal hair, and I had no issues of breakage or damage with the bleach and perm together. I was using this bleach called, "Revlon Frost & Glow Bleach Blonding Kit," along with the gentle treatment, and I had no problems but they've discontinued it. :( Yes, I'm glad I've found something that really works for me that I can achieve it without too much damage to my hair too! :)

TatsuOni
November 14th, 2018, 10:50 AM

I like to celebrate as many milestones as possible too :)

Yes, when it touches the floor when I'm sitting is probably when I'll call tailbone. Maybe another inch or so. For me it's less about knowing exactly where the bone is and more about having a marker between BCL and classic.

I reached "floor length" while sitting somewhere between TBL and classic. I called TBL when my hair reched the end of my tailbone. As someone said in a similar thread "if you're unsure of where it is, just dig in there! But make sure to lock the door first!" :p

AmaryllisRed
November 14th, 2018, 11:35 AM
I learned something today. I thought we sat on our tailbone. But looking it up, we actually sit on different bones and the tailbone is above.
So I guess I will hit tailbone before I hit the floor while sitting. I just won't know it. I don't want to dig around in there because I'm super sensitive in that area and I don't want to hurt myself.

Kalamazoo
November 15th, 2018, 08:44 PM
The waist is easy to find, & non-embarrassing in polite company. How about calling various lengths as "Waist + X inches", until we get to "Classic"? Then there could be Threads for WL+1, WL+2, etc.

Ylva
November 16th, 2018, 09:38 AM
How about calling various lengths as "Waist + X inches", until we get to "Classic"? Then there could be Threads for WL+1, WL+2, etc.

That would be unfair to those using the metric system, and confusing when there are different units of measurement involved.

TatsuOni
November 16th, 2018, 09:43 AM
The waist is easy to find, & non-embarrassing in polite company. How about calling various lengths as "Waist + X inches", until we get to "Classic"? Then there could be Threads for WL+1, WL+2, etc.

I don't have a problem with the terms we're using now.

Ylva
November 16th, 2018, 09:45 AM
I don't have a problem with the terms we're using now.

No, me neither. If someone feels embarrassed by buttcrack or tailbone, then IMO they can resort to describing their length in inches or centimetres instead.

TatsuOni
November 16th, 2018, 09:50 AM
No, me neither. If someone feels embarrassed by buttcrack or tailbone, then IMO they can resort to describing their length in inches or centimetres instead.

That's a good option :) Or they can just say for example "long enough to sit on", "past hip length" and so on.

Personally I was proud to tell that I'd reached BCL :laugh:

Ylva
November 16th, 2018, 10:01 AM
That's a good option :) Or they can just say for example "long enough to sit on", "past hip length" and so on.

Personally I was proud to tell that I'd reached BCL :laugh:

Indeed, that's also a good option and descriptive enough.

Me too! I mean, it's not like my buttrack is in a highly unexpected location or anything. :lol:

bparnell75
November 16th, 2018, 10:27 AM
https://www.hairfinder.com/info/hair-length-chart.gif

This is an official length designation chart. It says tailbone is just where your tail bone is.
Above hip......My length goal and where I have worn my hair fo about 18 months now.

GrowlingCupcake
November 16th, 2018, 01:09 PM

While I don't have a problem with butt crack or tailbone, etc. on here or with family/friends, I am unwilling to tell that to strangers. I usually say "past hip". And quite honestly, I'm glad I do because a good portion of the time, I end up getting the "Oh, long hair is sexy/I love long hair/your husband must be lucky" comments which are just creepy. I am not discussing my butt crack with people who make those comments.

It's also why I rarely talk about my hair with strangers, but it comes up some times, and I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

I also like the more milestones thing xD Otherwise, it's just 9 inches of nothing between BCL and classic. I'm gonna have to find out how long my hair needs to be to reach the floor when sitting, wrist, and palm.

Ylva
November 16th, 2018, 02:18 PM
https://www.hairfinder.com/info/hair-length-chart.gif

On that photo TBL seems to be more where it pokes out, if I'm not mistaken?

Dark40
November 16th, 2018, 04:03 PM
I also don't have a problem with saying butt crack length either on here or strangers. But with strangers I do say, "it's pass hip," too. Or, I'll just say what's on the chart, "It's Classic or Knee."

littlestarface
November 16th, 2018, 04:25 PM
I also don't have a problem with saying butt crack length either on here or strangers. But with strangers I do say, "it's pass hip," too. Or, I'll just say what's on the chart, "It's Classic or Knee."

This is the weirdest post I ever read on the internet??????? WutFace!

AmaryllisRed
November 16th, 2018, 05:22 PM
Indeed, that's also a good option and descriptive enough.

Me too! I mean, it's not like my buttrack is in a highly unexpected location or anything. :lol:

This made me crack up. Imagining all the highly unexpected locations a person's buttcrack might be.
"Oh, mine? Yeah it's in my armpit."

Edit: I said "crack up" totally by accident and didn't realize until after I hit post. Hahahaha

Nefcerka
December 28th, 2023, 06:18 AM
Bumping this thread because:

1. A new BCL/TBL discussion pops up every other month or even more often

2. But mostly to appreciate the EPIC meme by Cathair. I literally died over this one.

sarana
December 28th, 2023, 06:34 AM
I've been wondering that since BSL is considered a gendered milestone, I think it would be fair for the guys to have milestones like dick tip length

I'm joking

Dark40
December 28th, 2023, 12:48 PM
I've been struggling to think of a polite way to put it, so I am giving up and just going to say it and hope I don't offend anyone. BCL is butt crack length. BHL is butt hole length. I kind of made it up in another thread that asked this question, which I now can't find. It's not a pleasant length marker, but I think it's the most accurate way to describe where TBL is, just above it.

I couldn't agree with you more!!! Butt hole is a more properly way of putting it.

Aerya
December 29th, 2023, 01:18 AM
I've been wondering that since BSL is considered a gendered milestone, I think it would be fair for the guys to have milestones like dick tip length

I'm joking

If I was a guy, I would 100% use that as a personal milestone :lol:

Für immer
December 29th, 2023, 05:33 AM
Bumping this thread because:

1. A new BCL/TBL discussion pops up every other month or even more often

2. But mostly to appreciate the EPIC meme by Cathair. I literally died over this one.

Oh, that's á good meme. :laugh:

Nefcerka
December 29th, 2023, 06:32 AM
I can understand why BCL and TBL are so extensively discussed and why they make some people cringe.
Yesterday I thought about the names of these markers in my language and I think it offers a little insight.

While technically BCL can be translated into my language, the words won´t make any sense, because no one ever calls the cleft in the buttocks anything. It´s just not referenced to in any way in my language, IRL. When someone has BCL length hair, it is called "vlasy po zadok" - hair until buttocks or hair to the top of the buttocks, or hair to the top of the bottom (I kinda like that expression - top of the bottom, TOB maybe? lol).

Tailbone would be translated as "kostrč", but no one ever IRL would understand what it means to have hair in tailbone length (vlasy po kostrč) - I daresay even members of czech long-hair forum would be confused. It´s more likely to have this length described as hair in mid-butt length in my language (vlasy do polky zadku).

As for classic length, this would be called "vlasy pod zadok" here, which means hair to the bottom of the buttocks/backside - or bottom of the bottom (BOB? lol, I guess not).

Okay, end of linguistic lesson.

P.S. Why do all names for buttocks (with the exception of old-fashioned derriere) start with letter "B" in English??

sarana
January 3rd, 2024, 03:07 AM
So you're czech, fascinating. I actually like "top of butt", "middle of butt" etc. Very clear.

I think most people here equate TBL to "middle of butt"?

Btw derriere is a loanword from french, isn't it?

Lady Stardust
January 3rd, 2024, 03:47 AM
I have a really juvenile wish to say “arse” :)

I think in England we’re equally if not more likely to say arse or bum than bottom or butt.

I also think no one here would ever talk about tailbone length or the top of the arse crack, outside of hair forums. I guess that’s likely to be the case everywhere.

It’s also hard to explain how much it makes me smile to type this out :)

Nefcerka
January 3rd, 2024, 05:09 AM
Yes, I think it would make more sense to have a marker at mid-bottom, because TBL and BCL can be anatomically different/have various lengths between them on people, they are not universal. I am actually going to call my goal length a mid-bottom and maintain there (this year already, woohoo!).

I think derriere is from French, yes. I read a lot of regency-era novels and there are many words from French used in that period, it seems.

I have remembered about the a-word after I hit post :)

This entire thread is gold, in my opinion. I read it all and I was in stitches and tears.

ETA: Rear! I forgot about that name - a rear. What could be grammatically most correct to an English native speaker: a mid-bottom, mid-rear or mid-backside length? Or something else?

Wyldfae's Mane
January 3rd, 2024, 08:28 AM
Yes, I think it would make more sense to have a marker at mid-bottom, because TBL and BCL can be anatomically different/have various lengths between them on people, they are not universal. I am actually going to call my goal length a mid-bottom and maintain there (this year already, woohoo!).

I think derriere is from French, yes. I read a lot of regency-era novels and there are many words from French used in that period, it seems.

I have remembered about the a-word after I hit post :)

This entire thread is gold, in my opinion. I read it all and I was in stitches and tears.

ETA: Rear! I forgot about that name - a rear. What could be grammatically most correct to an English native speaker: a mid-bottom, mid-rear or mid-backside length? Or something else?

I agree, this thread is a treasure :lol: . What would be most grammatically correct? I'm not sure, but as a native English speaker "mid-butt" sounds the most natural to me.

sarana
January 3rd, 2024, 05:51 PM
I just read through the whole thread and loved it. Hilarious.

I think various front measurements could be utilized more for fun where appropriate. People could for example call navel length within the waist to tbl thread. Or the mini milestone thread. Like mermaid length too.

I'm calling happy trail length!