PDA

View Full Version : I've asked this before--miniature hairs

mamaherrera
September 19th, 2014, 01:01 PM
I just gotta ask again,because these things are driving me nuts. I was finger-combing my hair today, and like 8 of these light brown, short, and "super thin" hairs came out with my long ones. I don't know where they come from , because even my nape hairs are thicker than these, they are like 1/4 the thickness of my normal hairs. ANd they are kind of kinky-ish. I've had my daughter try and find them, she's found a few behind my ears, but not enough to say " hey you would shed 8 of them" at a time. My husband has found some on top of my head, coming out of a pore that has another normal hair, and even some on their own. Then I get freaked, and think. . . . are they hair follicles that are dyeing??? They only grow gosh, about 3-5 cm. if that, and like I said, are super thin hairs. Just kind of weird, and I know that there are people here who really look at their hairs, I was just wondering if others have these too.

louzen
September 19th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Hi mamaherrera

There was a time (first half of the year) where I shedded loads of these short hairs. I could see them in the bath after I washed my hair. One time I counted about 10. They were driving me to distraction as I thought they're supposed to be new growth but they're shedding!! Anyway, it stopped (thank God) after about 2 months, but I still see the odd few now. I'm going through a major shed at the moment, which is also freaking me out a bit. I don't know what's worse - shedding loads of short hairs or shedding loads of long hairs!!

I don't think it's anything to worry about - Even though I shedded quite a lot of short hairs at the time, I didn't notice any difference in my hair volume (and I have fine hair so would be able to tell). The only explanation I can come up with is the hair is going through a growth phase and perhaps it needs several cycles to produce the hair strand it wants to stick with. I seemed to have a growth spurt after it happened.

spidermom
September 19th, 2014, 02:59 PM
As I think I said before - it is completely normal to have different textures of hair on your head. When my daughter was little, I would be braiding her hair and see these weird, fine, zigzag hairs (like this: wwwwwwww) that were baby duck yellow and short. Different hairs serve different functions. I know for a fact that angora rabbits have stiff, coarse hairs that serve to stand on end and create loft so that the animal has more insulation on extra-cold days. We probably have hairs that serve specific functions, too. I have observed my own shed hairs be as sort as 1-2 inches from time to time. I know they were naturally shed because they had a root ball on one end. I don't know why they had such a short growth cycle, but I don't stress it.

mamaherrera
September 19th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Thanks both of you. . . . spidermom, those hairs you describe from your daughter--that is EXACTLY what I find, and to know you would find those on her scalp (not just the hairlines/sides) makes me feel so much better. That is so what these are, thank you for remembering that and sharing it with me. I appreciate it all, and yes I shed the short thick ones, but these ones are separate, they worry me because they are so fine and I have all medium-coarse hair.
And to Louzen, thanks for sharing your experience too. I am also shedding more now, which is maybe why I'm seeing more of these hairs too, as I have always had them (from the last 5 years that I pay extreme attention) but now lately, I see more of them, which is what had me worrying, but if everything is falling at a faster rate "shed" maybe more of them too, are falling. Sorry if I repeat it, but when I see many of them, I wonder about the rest of you all. Thanks so much for chiming in! And yes, I see them too on my daughter's head, but I thought it was normal for her because she has some fine hair mixed in with her thick hair, but I have all thick, but I guess these are just the oddballs!