PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on dutch braiding hair?

DreamSheep
September 19th, 2014, 12:13 PM
So, I really love the Lara Croft look of Dutch braided hair - but whenever I try to do myself I utterly fail:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/magikspiffy/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140919_185421.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/magikspiffy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140919_185421.jpg.html)

I know the "idea" behind it (putting strands under, and sweeping hair in) - and although I think I'm starting to get the hang of the hand grip, I find it very hard to calculate how much hair to scoop in, how many times I should scoop in before incorporating all hair, and how to keep strands separate in my fingers (I can't actually keep all three in one hand, I need to have one strand in my mouth or in the other hand, which I think makes me lose my place more often).

So yeah, tips for the braid-challenged would be much appreciated! :)

jupiterinleo
September 19th, 2014, 12:30 PM
LOL, oh my. That's rough.

Do you know how to French braid? I made sure I was comfortable with French braiding before I moved on to Dutch. Some people learn Dutch easier, but for me it was French, because it more closely followed the way I already English-braided my hair.

Try watching a video of someone braiding and stop it frequently to follow it step by step, holding the strands exactly like they do. I think you also should learn how to keep all the strands separated in one hand. Once you get comfortable with that, your braiding will become MUCH easier and you'll be able to keep better track of the strands.

Good luck! Keep practicing. It still takes me a couple tries to make a decent braid.

FireFromWithin
September 19th, 2014, 12:58 PM
I don't ever have three strands in one hand with a three strand Dutch. I use my index finger and gently separate out consistently sized bits of hair, size doesn't matter nearly as much as keeping each section even. Then add remaining hair in sections the same size as all the others unless you want the braid to stop being Dutch and revert to normal further up in which case split the remaining hair into three at that point and add each section of leftover hair to a different braid strand then continue English braiding to the end of the hair.

vendethiel
September 19th, 2014, 01:39 PM
I learned by watching videos about it. I went to YouTube and watched 5 or 6 different people braid their hair and then picked my favorite and mimicked them. It's important to remember that people's brains work differently and what makes sense to one person may not make sense to another. So, watching videos might help you, but it might not.

Looking at your post, I think you might be over-thinking the entire braid - which is my problem. The sections don't need to be even or equal or perfectly smooth - you can get there eventually - but for now, just focus on getting a braid completed. It might help to start lower on your head, so you have less of the braid that is Dutch and more that is just standard braid. Part your hair starting at the tops of your ears and split that into three and begin your braid. Then you can just add the rest of your hair into the braid in 3 or 4 sections, making it a little less work and less confusing. For me it was the act of getting the braid completed that was most important. If I finished it, then I would try again another day, and the more I practiced the better I got. If I gave up in the middle I wouldn't want to try again.

Lirona
September 19th, 2014, 01:45 PM
In this video, Torrin Paige shows the way she holds all three strands in one hand, step-by-step: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-Th69mzcBA. That could help. I also agree with vendethiel, refine the size of the sections, etc. after some practice just completing the braid.

blace
September 19th, 2014, 03:13 PM
I learned by first getting pretty darn good at doing "cornrows" on others.
My only real advice is pretty basic: practice, practice, practice.

I find myself thinking "under, under..." while braiding my own. I will admit, it is difficult to keep a good grip during this method. I usually end up with two strands in one hand and one in the other, keeping my grip close to the scalp and the tension as even as possible.

Madora
September 19th, 2014, 03:16 PM
The correct size of strands when you add from each side to the middle is a matter of practice. Eventually, your fingers will "recognize" the proper size of strand and automatically everything will fall in place. Just keep practicing.

Here's a "simplified" version of how to French braid...using a clip to hold the hair so you can concentrate on learning how to add the hair from each side to the middle section:
Tip for doing a French braid:
1) Detangle hair thoroughly
2) Make a horizontal part from the top of one ear, around the back of the head, to the top of the other ear.
3) Take all hair ABOVE the part, comb out gently. CLIP with a one piece barrette.
Now start the actual French braiding:
1) Make one complete cross over. Hold the braid with one hand
2) Take a thin section of hair from right and join it to the hair strands on the Right. Pinch the section. Then take it over and JOIN with the middle section. Pinch. Rake the strands!
3) Take a thin section of hair from the LEFT. Join with LEFT section. PINCH. Rake!
4) Repeat steps 2-3. Remember to Pinch and Rake each time you add a section
5) Braid to end. Fasten w/hair friendly elastic
Tips: Tension - don't braid too tightly
Angle - hold your hands up when braiding
Head angle - sometimes it helps to either lower your head or tilting your head back
Once you feel comfortable with braiding French and Dutch, try to do it w/o the CLIP.

The clip (aka barrette) should be all one piece, if possible, to lessen the possibility of sharp edges. Goody makes a nice one. Comes in 2 sizes and 2 colors. I found them 2 years ago at Target.

Good luck!