PDA

View Full Version : Tips for spicing up "blonette" color?

CostaRita
September 18th, 2014, 06:28 PM
I do not care for my dishwater blonde/light ash brown hair color. I think that it looks boring on me.

Are there any ways that I could "spice" it up? Tints? Make it more interesting?

I would want to stay away from anything damaging because my hair is prone to frizz. Also anything that takes maintenance (like touching up roots.)

Basically, is there anything that I could do to enhance the natural color of my hair, rather than change it completely?

Wildcat Diva
September 18th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Cassia? (Characters)

CostaRita
September 18th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Cassia? (Characters)

Ooh what's that??

Vanilla
September 18th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Cassia is a herbal hair dye similar to henna (but without the red stain). It's a great conditioner and imparts subtle golden tones to hair. I love it. I haven't used it in a while, but I love the effect it has on my hair, especially in the wintertime (when I don't get much sun and neither does my hair).

You can order it on various places online, but I really love nightblooming's cassia blend (she has a shop on etsy).

CostaRita
September 18th, 2014, 07:30 PM
I was just reading that cassia can turn hair green if minerals from hard water are on the hair....

that's absolutely terrifying!

Vanilla
September 18th, 2014, 08:49 PM
I haven't had a problem with cassia turning green on my hair. I always make sure to mix the cassia mud with distilled water.

CostaRita
September 18th, 2014, 09:01 PM
I haven't had a problem with cassia turning green on my hair. I always make sure to mix the cassia mud with distilled water.

Do you live in a hard water area? I think that I do.

Wildcat Diva
September 18th, 2014, 09:04 PM
You could chleate first to be sure.

CostaRita
September 18th, 2014, 09:19 PM
You could chleate first to be sure.

Okay, will Paul Mitchell Clarifying Three shampoo work as a chelator? I have never chelated before and I've always lived with hard water....

Wildcat Diva
September 18th, 2014, 09:38 PM
I'm not sure if a clarifying shampoo will do it. I have used citric acid rinses to help chleate and bought a chleating shampoo (Joico).

This may be more trouble to you than you want to consider.

CostaRita
September 19th, 2014, 07:43 AM
I'm not sure if a clarifying shampoo will do it. I have used citric acid rinses to help chleate and bought a chleating shampoo (Joico).

This may be more trouble to you than you want to consider.

This particular shampoo has EDTA in it, so I'm not sure if that automatically makes it a chelating one. It's meant for chlorine.

lapushka
September 19th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Do a test strand first. Sure way to know. ;)

CostaRita
September 19th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Do a test strand first. Sure way to know. ;)

okay! I will do this!

Johannah
September 19th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I'd do a strand test as well. Post some pictures if you used the cassia ;)

Crysania
September 19th, 2014, 12:28 PM
If you have hard water, you could get a shower filter, i used to have one called ''showersoft'' it made the water really soft indeed.
https://www.filtersfast.com/Omni-Filter-Sf100-shower-water-filter.asp
it's really worth the price.

two_wheels
September 19th, 2014, 12:32 PM
London has very hard water and cassia is fine on me. I mix it with tap water and rinse it off in the shower without even thinking about it.

It probably depends on what's in the water, so do strand test of course! But bear in mind, you might find you don't have to faff around with filters etc.

CostaRita
September 19th, 2014, 05:26 PM
If you have hard water, you could get a shower filter, i used to have one called ''showersoft'' it made the water really soft indeed.
https://www.filtersfast.com/Omni-Filter-Sf100-shower-water-filter.asp
it's really worth the price.

I live in a university dorm, so I wouldn't be able to install a shower filter :(