PDA

View Full Version : Trying out the Inversion Method!

Ravenwind
September 18th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Hi all! It's been a while since I have been on LHC. Life got busy the past few months!

Back in July I cut off quite a bit of hair to get rid of my layers. My hair is healthy and thick now, and has actually grown back quite a bit already! (at BSL now) But it's not growing fast enough! ;) So I'm going to try the inversion method.

I plan on massaging my scalp head down for about 5 minutes a day, everyday for 7 days. I will also use a mix of coconut oil, peppermint oil, and castor oil every other day. I started yesterday, so tonight I will try it with the oils. People say you can grow an inch or more a month by doing this once a month. Not sure if it really works, but why not give it a shot! Scalp massages feel amazing anyway and my hair could use some loving :)

I will post before and after pictures next week and also once a month for the rest of the year.

If anyone has tried this, let me know about your experience and how much your hair grew!

DreamSheep
September 18th, 2014, 05:26 PM
I tried this this month for the first time, and I think I did get an inch of growth (or at least, before I was 34' and then I did a cheat measurement and it seemed to be close to 35', but I won't do an official measurement till a couple of weeks time) - that said I don't really know what my monthly growth rate is other than I average about 5-6 inches a year I think.

Good luck with your inversions! :) Scalp massages are always good

Madora
September 18th, 2014, 05:27 PM
Not to rain on your parade, but I highly doubt if you can grow an inch of hair per month, by only doing it ONCE a month!

I've been doing inversion for years..by brushing in the bent at the waist position. It is a great way to stimulate your follicles, which in turn stimulates growth. But you have to do it consistently...not when the spirit moves you! There are no "short cuts" if you want to achieve beautiful, healthy hair! Have fun!

Ravenwind
September 18th, 2014, 05:35 PM
I tried this this month for the first time, and I think I did get an inch of growth (or at least, before I was 34' and then I did a cheat measurement and it seemed to be close to 35', but I won't do an official measurement till a couple of weeks time) - that said I don't really know what my monthly growth rate is other than I average about 5-6 inches a year I think.

Good luck with your inversions! :) Scalp massages are always good

Thank you! Sounds like it worked pretty well for you! :) I'm not sure what my monthly growth rate is either, but I think I average about the same.

Not to rain on your parade, but I highly doubt if you can grow an inch of hair per month, by only doing it ONCE a month!

I've been doing inversion for years..by brushing in the bent at the waist position. It is a great way to stimulate your follicles, which in turn stimulates growth. But you have to do it consistently...not when the spirit moves you! There are no "short cuts" if you want to achieve beautiful, healthy hair! Have fun!

Thanks :) From what I've read, people have said not to do it more than one week out of the month because your hair will get used to it? I'm not sure if that's true or not. If it's not true, I would glady do it more to achieve more hair growth! :)

Lady Katherine
September 18th, 2014, 05:47 PM
I tried it and I don't think it's for me, I would get headaches from putting my head upside down. Unless I was doing something wrong.

Madora
September 18th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Thank you! Sounds like it worked pretty well for you! :) I'm not sure what my monthly growth rate is either, but I think I average about the same.

Thanks :) From what I've read, people have said not to do it more than one week out of the month because your hair will get used to it? I'm not sure if that's true or not. If it's not true, I would glady do it more to achieve more hair growth! :)

The whole point (to me) of doing inversion is to stimulate your follicles in order to promote hair growth. Naturally, you don't need to spend more than 5 minutes a day doing it. The main thing is to do it daily...for 2 minutes or 4 minutes. Try and be consistent.

One tip for after inversion: While your hair is still in front of you and you are still bent at the waist, check for tangles I(detangle carefully!) then make a center part from the nape to the forehead. Hold the right side hair in the right hand. Left side hair in left hand. Stand up. Now place the right side hair behind right shoulder and release. Ditto for left side. The more control you have over your hair, the less possibilities for tangles..and your hair benefits from less mechanical damage.

Ravenwind
September 18th, 2014, 06:07 PM
I tried it and I don't think it's for me, I would get headaches from putting my head upside down. Unless I was doing something wrong.

Maybe you were bent over too far? It isn't for everyone though, and it also doesn't work for everyone.

The whole point (to me) of doing inversion is to stimulate your follicles in order to promote hair growth. Naturally, you don't need to spend more than 5 minutes a day doing it. The main thing is to do it daily...for 2 minutes or 4 minutes. Try and be consistent.

One tip for after inversion: While your hair is still in front of you and you are still bent at the waist, check for tangles I(detangle carefully!) then make a center part from the nape to the forehead. Hold the right side hair in the right hand. Left side hair in left hand. Stand up. Now place the right side hair behind right shoulder and release. Ditto for left side. The more control you have over your hair, the less possibilities for tangles..and your hair benefits from less mechanical damage.

Thank you for the tips! I will do that :)

tiny squirrel
September 18th, 2014, 06:14 PM
If you have sinus problems or allergies inversion can cause headaches.

Madora
September 18th, 2014, 06:49 PM
I feel for people with sinus problems! Ouch!

Another way you might be able to do the inversion method is to sit in a chair, and bend your head slightly forward. If you feel dizzy or nauseous, stop immediately!

Phexlyn
September 19th, 2014, 02:08 AM

So true! There are no short cuts...
I'm not sure why it should be a problem if your scalp gets used to being stimulated (except if you stop it, then it may cause an imbalance in sebum production). Hair follicles are not like muscles which can be trained and get used to a certain level of impact/weights etc., are they? It they are, I'm off to the hair gym! ;)

Madora
September 19th, 2014, 08:16 AM
So true! There are no short cuts...
I'm not sure why it should be a problem if your scalp gets used to being stimulated (except if you stop it, then it may cause an imbalance in sebum production). Hair follicles are not like muscles which can be trained and get used to a certain level of impact/weights etc., are they? It they are, I'm off to the hair gym! ;)

Well, in a sense the hair follicles can be "trained". Many people who begin to brush (after never brushing before...or only sporadically, complain that brushing hurts their scalp. I sure can believe that because I've felt it! Mr. Michael call's that pain "charley horse of the roots". It is caused by this: the follicles have been accustomed to being drawn in one position over a period of time. When you brush "upside down" suddenly they are drawn in a different position. Ouch! They protest..most vigorously!

But you can "train" the follicles to react more calmly if you brush in SMALL sections of time..baby steps, when starting out to brush. Do maybe 10 strokes. If your scalp doesn't protest, the next day, try 15...and so on, until you can reach your target goal with no discomfort. Brushing should be a pleasurable and stress free thing!

GetMeToWaist
September 19th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Ooh i was gonna try this out too, look foward to your results.

YGDW
September 19th, 2014, 11:30 AM
I love massaging my scalp! I don't know whether it helps growing my hair, but it does reduce stress, and stress is bad for hair growth. ;) I'd recommend you to be careful with oiling your roots so often though. A lot of people (myself included) noticed some increased shedding when applying coconut oil to the scalp, so keep an eye on your shedding rate.

Adiro
September 19th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Maybe I didn't look around enough, but could somebody please direct me to the link for this method? I never heard of it before!!!!
My hair is growing so incredibly slow, I know because I color it, and I can see the new growth, it's less than 1/2cm a month, almost invisible! ( Probably because my body is so tired and depleted, after 2 pregnancies in less than 3 years, and still breastfeeding both babies)
anyway, I would really like to try, I am so frustrated with my growth rate

Johannah
September 19th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Maybe I didn't look around enough, but could somebody please direct me to the link for this method? I never heard of it before!!!!
My hair is growing so incredibly slow, I know because I color it, and I can see the new growth, it's less than 1/2cm a month, almost invisible! ( Probably because my body is so tired and depleted, after 2 pregnancies in less than 3 years, and still breastfeeding both babies)
anyway, I would really like to try, I am so frustrated with my growth rate

Just type 'inversion method' in google or youtube and hundreds of articles/video's will pop up. There are different ways of doing this method so you can choose what suits you best.

Ravenwind
September 20th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Today is day 4 of trying out the inversion method, and I will be using the oils again. But this time I'll make sure to put in peppermint oil AFTER I heat up my other oils... I discovered that putting peppermint oil along with my other oils and heating them all once in the microwave made my whole house smell like peppermint. Two days later and it still does xD oops!

I have noticed that using coconut oil does make some of my hair come out, but only like 5-6 strands. Kind of annoying but maybe I could try almond oil instead. I thought the shedding was from massaging my scalp but maybe it could be both.

So far I think I can see my roots growing in more (did a henna gloss last month so my hair is light auburn now and my natural color looks dark compared to it, so it's easy to see my growth). Maybe it's just my wishful thinking :)

Adiro
September 21st, 2014, 12:25 AM
Thank you , Johanah :)

SkyChild
September 21st, 2014, 02:13 AM
Ooh a peppermint smelling house sounds lovely! Trying this.
I do the inversion method just whenever I feel like it, hanging upside while standing or if I lie on the sofa and hang my head over one arm.
I massage my scalp vigorously with or without oils depending how I feel that day.
I don't actually measure but I reckon my growth has sped up. I mean I do shed hairs when doing my scalp massage, but I think that would always happen.
More than that, it feel healthier and thicker. I'm not sure if that's even possible, maybe a placebo side-effect!

gustavonut
October 11th, 2014, 08:39 PM
So did it work..? Sorry for reviving an old thread but I would like to know if it's going to work because I plan on doing it this week.

gustavonut
October 12th, 2014, 11:29 AM
So I'm going to start tomorrow, I'll let everyone know how it goes on next Monday.

Pat
October 12th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I did it three weeks ago and my bangs grew almost an inch from the day I started to last Monday (I'm using my bangs to measure). That being said, after reading Madora's posts, I decided to try it every other week so I am currently ending my second week. Her recommendations make sense and although my hair hates being brushed, I can still invert my head and see what happens. My hair grows super slowly so anything I can do to help it counts!

lapushka
October 12th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Here's beautyklove's results. I doubt her measuring technique though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDCQYt4R3eI&list=UUp2Fm1fzjSAMmlnZ8F-C1nA

LadyLongLocks
October 12th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I tried it on a whim a few months ago. No growth increase. I did not put any oils on my scalp, I won't do that.
Not that I really need any more length at the moment. Then when you think about it, I would be afraid the hair, IF it did grow faster, would possible be weaker. I rather do the slow, strong way. Like the tortoise and the hair...I mean hare :)

lapushka
October 12th, 2014, 02:34 PM
I rather do the slow, strong way. Like the tortoise and the hair...I mean hare :)

The tortoise and the "hair"! :lol: I'm with you on that, though. I like it slower. I love to have patience and really *grow* towards something.

gustavonut
October 12th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Hey you guys say that because you already have long hair dang it! :/

ETA:

I did it three weeks ago and my bangs grew almost an inch from the day I started to last Monday (I'm using my bangs to measure). That being said, after reading Madora's posts, I decided to try it every other week so I am currently ending my second week. Her recommendations make sense and although my hair hates being brushed, I can still invert my head and see what happens. My hair grows super slowly so anything I can do to help it counts!

Wow I hope to hear more of your results! It gives me hope. :)

Ravenwind
October 12th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Hi ladies! Ahhhh I'm sorry I have not updated you guys! I took before and after pictures of my roots but it's very hard to tell if I had any growth. But I DO think my hair grew a full inch last month! Definitely going to do it again!

swearnsue
October 13th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Just my 2 cents. I massage my scalp while sitting or lying down. I don't know if it has increased my growth rate, I just do it because if feels good and makes sense that a gentle massage is beneficial.

Ravenwind
October 17th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Just my 2 cents. I massage my scalp while sitting or lying down. I don't know if it has increased my growth rate, I just do it because if feels good and makes sense that a gentle massage is beneficial.

I agree! It's been a month since I did the inversion method, and my hair has grown A LOT. Maybe not necessarily from doing the method, but maybe from regular growth and the method. I don't know. All I know is my hair is getting longer :D When I do this again I'll take pictures of my length this time instead of my roots.