PDA

View Full Version : Please, HELP!

Druid of Alba
September 23rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
I just bleached my natural reddish-brown hair blonde, and its a disgusting fake looking light orange colour. How do I fix this? I don't mind dying it. Should I dye it dark ash blonde? That's what I was told. Please don't say go to the salon. I need to do something myself. So should dark ash blonde counteract the ugly bright orange? Thanks SO MUCH!!!!! :)

Amara
September 23rd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Whatever you end up doing I know it's really rough on hair to get treated twice right in a row. You might try to live with a bandanna for a day or two if at all possible.

GlennaGirl
September 23rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
Can you hold off for a while (to let things settle down), then get it professionally colored?

Save up some clams and go for a professional color correction.

They will add a filler first (for the color to "stick" to), then color over it.

It'll be okay! I promise. I honestly think we've all done something like this at least once! Or most of us. I know I've had everything from pink to green hair before...no, not on purpose, LOL.

ladyshannonanne
September 23rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
I agree with the advice to wait a little while before you color again. I once had to cut off about 12 inches because I colored twice in one day.

Cover it up for a week and leave it alone.

In a week, get an ashy color (which is what you had already thought of.) It's probably not going to turn out to be exactly what you wanted, but it will be better than it is now. Give it another month and try to get closer to what you want.

Remember, you can get pretty much any color you (not just red) want with henna and cassia. I know there are a ton of henna heads here who would love to help you mix a good shade. And the henna would be good for your hair.

Best of luck. Hair dye is a volatile thing, is it not?

Kirin
September 23rd, 2008, 01:19 PM
I know the pain of not being able to afford a pro colorist, so I wont waste your time.

The advise herein should work, but I cannot guarentee no damage will result.

Get a deep conditioning treatment at the store and a box of Nice n' Easy Medium Ash Blonde.

Do the deep treatment first, then do the color. After the color use at least half the tube of conditoner that comes with it. When coloring, leave it on the full recommended time. Ash colors contain green which cancels out the red/yellow.

I have had this same fiasco happen, and this did work exceptional and kept me blonde. Do NOT use "neutral" blonde or any golden blondes over this color, make sure its ASH.

Edit: Forgot to add, for at least a week after this, condition only wash! Avoid any harsh shampoos or any other deep treatments as it will suck the toner right out of bleached hair and you'll go back to orangey/yellow.

QueenBea
September 24th, 2008, 06:13 AM
My hair does the same thing when I go lighter. I found products at Sally's beauty supply called "toner"; it comes in a little bottle like the color part in a box of hair color, and in shades of violet and blue (NOT to turn your hair those colors! it just counteracts brassiness). You mix the toner with developer (also available at sally's) and put it on just like hair color, only leaving it for 10 minutes or so.

Directions are on the toner bottle, but if you want to try this method, I would talk to someone at Sally's; my directions are vague.

When my hair dyed too brassy, I would do the toner treatment to tone it down.

But if you want to darken it up, do like the others said--wait a week or two and use an ashy brown. You might want to try a demi- or semi-permanent for a little less damage.

Like others mentioned too, when my hair got too brassy, I often turned to henna--but you have to be willing to deal with red! It's a lot better for your hair than peroxide and ammonia though--

Bea

happymommy
September 24th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Quick temporary fix:

Using the color wheel, the opposite color from orange will cancel out the color in your hair. That would be, depending on the shade of orange either

yellow orange = blue violet
orange = blue
red orange = blue green

Based on that, go to Sally's and purchase some temporary hair color such as Manic Panic in the correct blue shade. Add about a tablespoon full to a half bottle of conditioner, just enough so it gives it a slight blue "tone." Since these are temporary colors, the color won't stay with it being so diluted. What it will do is tone down your orange with every conditioner use.

Another option, Sally's sells these gray/silver bottles of Fanciful rinses. The ones with the pink tops like what Grandma uses. They make a blue/violet one which will tone down the brassiness.

HTH!!!

Carina
September 24th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Oh my gosh I really feel for you.I did the exact same thing eleven years ago.My boyfriend took me to a salon to fix it.I have never touched bleach since then.I always let a pro do it.I hope you let this be a lesson and don't do it again.Good luck:grouphug:.

Fencai
September 24th, 2008, 10:20 AM
you need a toner.
wait a couple of days and do some deep conditioning first.

then you will need to go to a sally's and get some more developer and a bottle of toner. Its blue in color.
follow the directions and dont leave it on any longer than recommended.
It will get rid of the reddish tones.

once you do that, use a rinse with the fanciful white minx once a month. If you do it more, you might end up with blue tones in your hair! (Hence why little old ladies are referred to as blue hairs)

I took my hair from black to platinum blonde (like gwen stefani blonde) and that's what I used to do.

the trick is not to rush the process or you'll end up needing a major cut.

Oskimosa
September 24th, 2008, 10:24 AM
If you just can't wait, (here's what I would've done 5 years ago...) :

Go to a beauty supply store like Sally's. Buy some 10 volume peroxide, and 1 or 2 vials of Clairol Second Nature. It's a very gentle, deposit only color. Pick whatever color you want, so long as it is darker than what you have. I'd go ash to counter the red. There are even some different treatments that are supposed to pull red or brassiness, but I think this is your best bet on treating your hair well (and not waiting for a natural dye like buxus or indigo).

BEFORE YOU DYE: you may want to do a heavy oiling with coconut oil.

missy60
September 24th, 2008, 03:22 PM
you could also call or chat live with clairol or loreal which ever you think you might use to dye your hair. They will give you advice on how to correct this I would be careful with using straight ash after bleach you could end up with green.

FrannyG
September 24th, 2008, 03:27 PM
you could also call or chat live with clairol or loreal which ever you think you might use to dye your hair. They will give you advice on how to correct this I would be careful with using straight ash after bleach you could end up with green.

I agree with this completely.

Please go to the website of the type of hair colour that you think you will use, and call their toll-free number. Tell them what you are trying to achieve. They may tell you that you need a filler. That's easy to do, and they will instruct you.

Straight ash after bleach can give you green. No question.

xrosiex
September 24th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I agree with this completely.

Please go to the website of the type of hair colour that you think you will use, and call their toll-free number. Tell them what you are trying to achieve. They may tell you that you need a filler. That's easy to do, and they will instruct you.

Straight ash after bleach can give you green. No question.

I agree with Franny and Missy60. I called thier toll free number along time ago and they are really helpful, Good luck with whatever you decide to do.:)

missy60
September 24th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I just thought I would add that if you want to use Wella from Sally's I think its the Clairol website that can give you advice about that brand also. I called them a while ago and told them I had been thinking about using Wella. It could save you some money just having to buy the tubes and not whole complete kits, because most likely they will have you mix more then one color.

Longlove
September 24th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I would strongly encourage you to use another permanent color only as a last resort. You risk turning you hair into a fire hazzard by damaging and drying it out so much.

I can't comment about others' sugggestions of toners, as I've never used toners---nor permanent color, for that matter.

I have used OTC semi-permanent colors, though (ie. Natural Instincts and L'oreal Colorspa). They are MUCH less drying/damaging than permanent colors. I find that afterward, my hair is much shinier and less static-y.

Maybe try one of these in an ash-blonde shade before going the permanent route?

saoriiroas
September 24th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I recommend the Natural Instincts brand Light Brown for Brass Free Burnettes. It wont take you to the blonde you want to go to, but it will give your hair time to heal and it will fade out enough in a few weeks to allow for another process. I would Aphogee your squirell tail too...I am **not** a professional. You could try the 7c dark blonde, but without seeing your hair I do not know if it will work.

kittymomma
September 26th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Ugh..been there, done that..in high school, I accidentally thought "bleach-blonde" meant "platinum" for all hairs and ended up with bright orange hair. (Not the only one, I can assure you)

My mom's solution, because I ALSO had permed hair, was to go with the temporary color in the tall gray bottles at Sally's...can't 'member the name...at least it allowed me to look normal for a bit until I graduated (after which I got a professional fix).

Not a fun sitch, but a common one!!! ;)