PDA

View Full Version : Selling/Donating Hair ADVICE/SUGGESTIONS/RECOMMENDATIONS????

herdaughter77
September 18th, 2014, 06:17 AM
I'm looking to cut off up to 20 inches of my hair and sell it or donate to a trusted place. I'm having trouble finding shops and places other than L.O.L..

My hair has never been cut, trimmed, dyed, styled (w/ irons or any chemicals or spray), or treated. Its color is dirty blonde and is relatively thick although it tapers significantly(no trims).
I have a very healthy diet organic, local, and/or homegrown everything. I wash it with ACV and alternate between a baking soda or shampoo wash about every week or so. In other words, my hair is washed about once a week or less. Don't be deceived, it is clean. ;)

I contacted a trusted hair stylist to see if she had recommendations and she kind of steered me toward Roswell Park, wig shops, and the internet. I prefer to sell it, but if it's too much hassle or there's a trusted place or something local, I would donate it.

Basically, anyone with experience or ideas or recommendations, fire away!

-K

Long_hair_bear
September 18th, 2014, 06:37 AM
Don't do it! Your hair is so pretty! I'd kill for that length. LOL has a bad rep I know.

lapushka
September 18th, 2014, 08:00 AM
I thought Pantene had a campaign called beautiful lengths.

Zesty
September 18th, 2014, 08:13 AM
I thought Pantene had a campaign called beautiful lengths.
Yeah, if you go the donation route, I haven't heard anything bad about Pantene. It definitely seems to be better than LoL. I donated my hair to them, but it was more so I wouldn't feel my growth was wasted than because of any altruistic impulse... :lol:

Angelica
September 18th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Don't do it! Your hair is so pretty! I'd kill for that length. LOL has a bad rep I know.

I second this statement! Please don't do it. I'd love to have hair that thick and length. I believe LOL and Pantene are both as bad as each other (seen things on youtube). They may try to persuade you to cut the whole length off. 20 inches probably won't be enough to make a wig into and if the hair touches the floor once its cut they won't use it anyway. If it helps, I have seen hair being sold on ebay. But again - it would be so sad to lose that lovely length :)

Chocowalnut
September 18th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Don't do it your hair is beautiful. I never understood hair donating.. they make wigs they look/feel just like real human hair..

Madora
September 18th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Pantene has a far better reputation than LOL!

As far as selling it, I think it would all come down to the condition/color/length/texture. Good luck! Sad to see such beautiful hair cut..but it IS your hair..and it will grow back!

sourgrl
September 18th, 2014, 10:21 AM
I vote for Pantene.

CurlyCap
September 18th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Do you live in a metropolitan area?

If so, find out who makes the best and most expensive wigs. Also, if you have a large conservative jewish community in your area, see who the go to person/shop is for wigs. Call the shops saying that you have floor length hair and would like to sell some of it. Do they make purchases directly or can they recommend purchasers?

My cousin has the thickest, fastest growing hair I've ever seen and she used to sell her hair directly to the wig makers because they knew what they were looking for, what the price was they were going to pay, and there was no middle man. They also know how much they need to take to make a basic wig and will refuse you if you aren't willing to cut that much. (Some people specialize in certain shapes and some shops refused to make bob wigs saying they didn't sell as often or for as much.)

Carolyn
September 18th, 2014, 02:42 PM
If you are sure you really want to cut your hair, have you considered keeping the 20" ponytail as a treasured keepsake? That hair is your baby and little girl hair. If it was me I wouldn't want anyone to have it.

herdaughter77
September 23rd, 2014, 07:55 AM
Thanks for all the replies! To answer some questions, I do live in a metropolitan area and I have halfheartedly looked for wig shops... I just need to take more time to sit and do some real research.
Sorry guys, but really I want to cut it. I understand why you beg me to keep it, but I end up feeling like the only reason I don't cut it is for others...

DakarNick
September 23rd, 2014, 08:25 AM
Don't forget pics! (Please)

Merlin
October 3rd, 2014, 12:31 AM
I'd say that for the level of change you want, finding somebody who'll cut it well is more important than what is going to happen to the hair you cut off - I'd get your friends to recommend somebody who cuts really well and does a brilliant job and then get it done there: you can always send it off to somebody afterwards.

lapushka
October 3rd, 2014, 07:11 AM
I'd say that for the level of change you want, finding somebody who'll cut it well is more important than what is going to happen to the hair you cut off - I'd get your friends to recommend somebody who cuts really well and does a brilliant job and then get it done there: you can always send it off to somebody afterwards.

For a blunt even cut you really don't need a good stylist. It's probably easier to use Feye's self-trimming method, to better control how much she wants cut off.

Theobroma
October 3rd, 2014, 08:45 AM
If you are sure you really want to cut your hair, have you considered keeping the 20" ponytail as a treasured keepsake? That hair is your baby and little girl hair. If it was me I wouldn't want anyone to have it.

I second this. I had my classic-length braid cut to about APL when I was 12. At the time I didn't care what happened to it, but my mom made a dive for it as it fell to the salon floor and kept it. As a result, I still have it. The very ends of it probably date back to when I was five or younger. They saw my first riding lesson and my first day of school, they reflect the changes in my colour from flaxen blonde to honey golden. In retrospect, I'm so grateful that my mother refused to let it be thrown away.

You may be tired of your long hair now, but in ten or twenty years time, if you sell or donate what you cut, you might regret it. I'd hang onto it -- hair that's never been cut is something you don't see every day!

mica
October 3rd, 2014, 03:02 PM
If you have trouble finding a trusted place to donate to you can always sell your hair and donate the money, I think it's safer that way.

dottodot
October 3rd, 2014, 03:15 PM
I second this. I had my classic-length braid cut to about APL when I was 12. At the time I didn't care what happened to it, but my mom made a dive for it as it fell to the salon floor and kept it. As a result, I still have it. The very ends of it probably date back to when I was five or younger. They saw my first riding lesson and my first day of school, they reflect the changes in my colour from flaxen blonde to honey golden. In retrospect, I'm so grateful that my mother refused to let it be thrown away.

You may be tired of your long hair now, but in ten or twenty years time, if you sell or donate what you cut, you might regret it. I'd hang onto it -- hair that's never been cut is something you don't see every day!

My mom saved all of mine and my sister's hair as well! I had no idea she did this until we were cleaning out the garage and stumbled across and old supercuts bag with three 10 inch long braids from when we were little. It really is amazing to see hair that is in its purest form so to speak. The color is so rich and the braid is so thick. I cried. I let it serve as an example of good hair health and a goal to get it back to its original state as closely as possible. I had no idea other moms' did this. I just thought mine was weird!

lapushka
October 3rd, 2014, 03:23 PM
I had no idea other moms' did this. I just thought mine was weird!

My mom still keeps my ponytail from when I went from classic to a pageboy cut at the age of 10/11. It's kept in a glass jar.