PDA

View Full Version : I have my "senior pictures" on Sunday... Help me with a hair style.

FallingDarkness
September 17th, 2014, 08:30 PM
So.
All the seniors get to choose if they want their yearbook pic to be all fancy, so they can go out and get professional pictures done, which is what my family has decided for me. I hate getting my picture taken, but, oh well. Maybe I'll finally take a decent picture LOL. :P
ANNNNYWHO I don't wanna use any heat on my hair if possible, but I don't know how to show off length and still have my hair look really nice, so I'm wondering what styles/techniques I could/should use to make my hair fancier than its normal 2a waves. :P
ANY ideas would be much appreciated.

Becs
September 17th, 2014, 11:18 PM
For my senior pictures I just let my hair air dry and then I did a waterfall twist on each side to keep it back from my face and fancy it up a bit :) . For fancier occasions I like styles that are mostly down but with a bit braided/pulled back by the face. You could also do braid waves or rag curls if you wanted to have a different texture than normal.

gthlvrmx
September 17th, 2014, 11:21 PM
You can try half ups or try cocoon curls. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAPHSAPshJE You can adjust where you want your curls to start as well. I personally try making the curls closer to my scalp to get a fuller look.

Johannah
September 18th, 2014, 02:54 AM
I was thinking about cocoon curls as well. Or maybe another no heat curl method.

Khristopher
September 18th, 2014, 03:25 AM
How about sleeping in two rope braids to boost your waves? And maybe an accent braid on one side, or a half-up with ribbons or cute hairpins... I don't know too fancy maybe? :p

browneyedsusan
September 18th, 2014, 05:32 AM
I'd wear it how you most often wear it to school.
DD had senior pictures taken this summer. She has blonde WL+ hair, and usually wears it down. She wore a plain dress that contrasted with her hair, and the photographer got some gorgeous pics of her.

When you look back at the pictures, you'll want to see yourself--or a great version of yourself! Wear you hair how you like it best. Feel pretty, confident, and honest about who you are at that moment in your life.

Good luck with your pictures, Honey. I'm sure they'll be darling. :)

molljo
September 18th, 2014, 02:22 PM
I'd wear it how you most often wear it to school.
DD had senior pictures taken this summer. She has blonde WL+ hair, and usually wears it down. She wore a plain dress that contrasted with her hair, and the photographer got some gorgeous pics of her.

When you look back at the pictures, you'll want to see yourself--or a great version of yourself! Wear you hair how you like it best. Feel pretty, confident, and honest about who you are at that moment in your life.

Good luck with your pictures, Honey. I'm sure they'll be darling. :)

I agree 100% with this. When I had mine taken (11 years ago!!) I was advised to not try anything new makeup- or hair-wise, because it's a big deal and you don't want added stress if it doesn't go as planned. Do your hair like you would if you're going out with friends on a Saturday night or on a date. The best part of senior portraits are they're a nice time capsule for later in your life. You want it to be accurate to who you are now, just enhanced, if that makes sense.

Carolyn
September 18th, 2014, 02:29 PM
If you like how your hair looks best when it's heat styled, go ahead and heat style it. It's only one time. Your senior pics are a big deal in the timeline of your life. Wear your hair however you feel beautiful and if that is heat styled then do it.

browneyedsusan
September 18th, 2014, 03:13 PM
If you like how your hair looks best when it's heat styled, go ahead and heat style it. It's only one time. Your senior pics are a big deal in the timeline of your life. Wear your hair however you feel beautiful and if that is heat styled then do it.

:agree:
:thumbsup:

DreamSheep
September 18th, 2014, 04:16 PM
You could do half up-half down - or if it is a picture just from the front, perhaps some pretty rag curls, or a waterfall or lace braid that tucks down at the side, so you can see the length from the front, but also some cool things going on. :)

FallingDarkness
September 18th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Oh wow I've gotten so much great feedback! :o
I rarely wear my hair down anymore - I wore it down today because I reached Goal # 1 in my Wear Hair Up for a Month/Year Challenge (only 150 days..) and my 2a waves are unpredictable. Sometimes they look absolutely awesome (like today) but other days... Ew.
I do like rag curls, those are really cool. And how do you 'lace braid'?

If I do use heat styling, I just refuse to straighten it. Everyone does that for senior pics, and it's just not 'me'.

Becs
September 18th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Oh wow I've gotten so much great feedback! :o
I rarely wear my hair down anymore - I wore it down today because I reached Goal # 1 in my Wear Hair Up for a Month/Year Challenge (only 150 days..) and my 2a waves are unpredictable. Sometimes they look absolutely awesome (like today) but other days... Ew.
I do like rag curls, those are really cool. And how do you 'lace braid'?

If I do use heat styling, I just refuse to straighten it. Everyone does that for senior pics, and it's just not 'me'.
A lace braid is essentially a french braid, but you only add hair in from one side instead of from both. Here is a tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK73QK2XchY

MeowScat
September 18th, 2014, 08:16 PM
I agree with not straying too far from your typical hairstyle. Add a little something, an accent braid, a pretty clip, a few loose curls. Practice your hair and makeup and make sure your earrings and shirt collar don't compete with your hair and get in the way.

Have fun!!

FallingDarkness
September 18th, 2014, 09:59 PM
I don't have my ears pierced, nor do I partake in 'make up'. If I'm not pretty enough without a mask on, then too bad.

How would I accomplish the loose curls you are speaking of without straying far from my waves? :/

RoseofCimarron
September 19th, 2014, 12:12 AM
There is so many great style ideas here, I might just borrow a few to decide on a hairstyle for my cousin's wedding! My senior pictures were not very fun for me, I don't like having my picture taken and I was so awkward in my posing. I also got into a few small spats with the photographer about hair and makeup. Long story short, she got a little irritated after I wanted pink lipstick instead of the weird peachy-orange color that she said looked "more natural" (the color made my teeth look so yellow, like I hadn't brushed them in weeks! :disgust:), and she also couldn't understand why I didn't want to lay my hair in the dirt or why I didn't want to stick my head into a patch of nettles.

For my senior pictures, I wore mine down with a side part. But after the shoot, I put it back up into a ponytail and the photographer started going nuts asking if I wanted to re-do some shots with my hair in a ponytail since it made me look "more editorial" and "less plain" :rolleyes: Have you tried looking up "senior pictures" on Pinterest?

As for the makeup part, you might have to wear some for your pictures because your eyes (eyebrows, contours of face, lips, etc.) might get washed out or not show up very well without it. At the very least, you might have to wear a little bit of eye makeup and some natural-colored lipstick (pink or nude). Heck, the lady who did my senior pictures did full face makeup, eye makeup, lip color, and she actually put coverup on my eyebrows to make them match my hair (I have such dark brown eyebrows that they appear black, and my hair is reddish-brown).

I hope your senior pictures go well! Good luck, try to be yourself (I know that is so cliché, but it is so true), and if you have an idea of what you want (a pose, a place, a look, etc.) ask for it! You are paying the photographer, if you really want to do a certain pose, do it!