PDA

View Full Version : Using hair sticks.

Spinder
September 17th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Sorry... complete noob here.

Seriously, how do you properly insert hair sticks so that they actually hold your style? I'm obviously doing it wrong because every time I try, my whole style just falls right out. :(

skeletonous
September 17th, 2014, 06:48 PM
I'll try and explain it the best way I can :) you basically want to put the stick in, in the opposite direction that you want it to go when you are done. Then, as you are flipping it the way you want to go, you will grab hair with it near the scalp and that is how you get it to stay. Maybe this will provide better explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9JXMRpMMrM

laceyfairy
September 17th, 2014, 07:04 PM
I use the pivot technique. Starting with the point inserted into the bun pivot out (away from the center), and turn back in (toward the center), grabbing scalp hair as you push it through (to the opposite side of the bun).

I realized that this is basically the same explanation as skeletonous. Good luck in your hair adventures!

DreamSheep
September 17th, 2014, 07:15 PM
I haven't tried that approach yet, I stick it in, wiggle it to get some scalp hair, and then push it out again on the other side.

skeletonous
September 17th, 2014, 07:50 PM
I use the pivot technique. Starting with the point inserted into the bun pivot out (away from the center), and turn back in (toward the center), grabbing scalp hair as you push it through (to the opposite side of the bun).

I realized that this is basically the same explanation as skeletonous. Good luck in your hair adventures!

I think that's a great way to put it :p it's always good to have different explanations for the same thing. I didn't know it was called the pivot technique...the more you know!

PrincessBob
September 17th, 2014, 08:22 PM
This is my best demonstration.
http://youtu.be/zKreEv9smPM?t=2m30s

Edelweiss
September 18th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Don't worry, I had the same problem when I started and it would always get on my nerves.

If you just put the stick on your bun if will obviously fall down. Look at all the tutorials, look at the gesture they make.

I put the stick under my roots, it hurts a bit at the beginning because you feel like the stick is pulling your hair. So you have your bun done, instead of just putting the stick right away, take your roots with the stick, like the stick have to touch your scalp. then put the stick in the bun like you would normally do and do the scalp thing again.

SkyChild
September 18th, 2014, 12:37 AM
I'm with DreamSheep - I just put it in and wiggle it about some so I grab some roots. But then I'm a noob too
*slinks off to practice a proper technique*

ghost
September 18th, 2014, 12:41 AM
I pivot, like skeletonus and laceyfaery decribed, but I also cheat sometimes and secure my style with a couple bobby pins in addition to the hair stick or fork.

Phexlyn
September 18th, 2014, 01:31 AM
I can't describe it better than laceyfairy. Watch some more videos like the ones suggested and just play around a bit. Try an easy bun (like a Lazy Wrap) first, where there are clearly marked points where the stick should go.
If you have difficulties with the hairstyles as well, put your hair in a ponytail first if that's easier until you get the hang of it. Since you have quite straight and fine hair, you should start out with wooden hairsticks (not metal ones) because they're not as smooth. The metal ones slide out more easily on fine and straight hair.

Johannah
September 18th, 2014, 02:47 AM
I do the same as laceyfairy and skeletonous described!

Gertrude
September 18th, 2014, 04:22 AM
I have very similar hair, a bit less wavy perhaps. 1b, F. None of my buns hold for longer than a few hours with hair stick as my hair is too fine and slippery. So I do Faux Stick buns with wooden hair sticks. I actually secure the bun with some sturdy metal crimped hair pins and then put the stick through the middle, pivoting a little, just for the bling (-; I then add more crimped hair pins.

I love hair sticks and like to show them off. Nothing short of a three or four prong fork holds my hair the whole day by itself.

Metal hair sticks and acrylic ones I can't get to stay in at all. They just fall out not matter what I do, not even supported by hair pins.

kittenface
September 18th, 2014, 05:04 AM
For me it helps to focus on the mechanics on what's happening, rather than try to replicate a certain movement or technique. For most styles you need to kind of attach the stick to your bun, then to the hair on your scalp, then your bun again, and it needs to be somewhat tight for the bun to hold, which is why it helps to "flip" the stick the way a lot of people have described. If you know how to knit or crochet, a thing that really helps me is to think of it as being similar to that! Otherwise I'd say for me it's more about the tension than the placement/movement. We're all different so this advice might be totally useless to you, but I figured I'd add my $0,02 in case it's helpful.

embee
September 18th, 2014, 06:07 AM
My hair is straight and slippery. When I started using hairsticks I made a ponytail first (with elastic) and used the pivot/flip method to secure the bun, running the stick underneath the elastic. After I got the hang of it I was able to do away with the elastic altogether.

It takes a bit of practice, but once you get it, you're home free. You'll know when it feels right.

That said, I still cannot do a cinnamon bun and have it stay at all. ;) But my go-to style is a single stick bun and it holds all day like a rock.

lapushka
September 18th, 2014, 07:36 AM
First of all, how long is your hair. A certain length is needed to get it to hold.

sarahthegemini
September 18th, 2014, 11:22 AM
I feel your pain OP, every time I try with a stick, as soon as I let go, it just slides right out. I think my hair is way too slippery and uncooperative.