PDA

View Full Version : Hair typing and other questions

sarahchant
September 17th, 2014, 05:06 PM
I've been meaning to ask for help in accurately typing my hair, which may not even be possible while it's still so short. I am going to attach some pictures of my hair untouched after a shower. http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/sarahchanthaseny/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2014-09-17-17-59-28_zpsjbx74qh_edit_1410994896347.png_zpspideftj0.j peg (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/sarahchanthaseny/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2014-09-17-17-59-28_zpsjbx74qh_edit_1410994896347.png_zpspideftj0.j peg.html)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/sarahchanthaseny/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2014-09-17-17-59-28_zpsjbx74qh_edit_1410994874700.png_zpssznqv7ui.j peg (http://s8.photobucket.com/user/sarahchanthaseny/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2014-09-17-17-59-28_zpsjbx74qh_edit_1410994874700.png_zpssznqv7ui.j peg.html)

My other is question is this: I have lots of layers and damage from bleach and a razor cut. In you opinion, would you try to cut out the layers and damage before trying to gain length... Or would you let the length grow for a while and then start trimming out the damage and layers?

I really want to get to CBL before I start trimming out layers but I'm afraid the damage will get worse or prevent my hair from gaining length.

Opinions?? Thanks all!

sarahchant
September 17th, 2014, 05:09 PM
I think I posted the same picture twice but meant to post this one instead.

I'm so sorry if I did it again... Still getting the hang of this forum.

skeletonous
September 17th, 2014, 05:18 PM
I think you're 2a :) also I would S&D out as much of the damage as I could so that it didn't split more as it grows. I'm growing out a pixie cut myself and to be honest I've been trying to leave the layers I have alone, while trimming individual splits to keep my hair healthy and so as not to sacrifice length.

jeanniet
September 17th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I would say 2b, especially if you have bleach damage, because that will often affect pattern. With your hair, I would go ahead and grow to the length you want (CBL isn't all that far) and then maintain while you grow out the damage and layers. It probably won't take all that long, less than a year I'd guess.

sarahchant
September 18th, 2014, 07:21 PM
Thank you for your responses! I was definitely thinking I could be 2a once my natural hair grows in and all the bleach grows out.

I am not good with S&D because the damaged hair is also the shortest hair and I'm really afraid I will do more damage or give myself a mullet or something.

Anyone else growing out their hair struggle with not having a hairstyle? I always feel slouchy because of the awkward hair.

skeletonous
September 18th, 2014, 07:25 PM
^ I know what you mean :o do you ever put it into little pigtails or a ponytail? That sometimes helps when you don't have a definite style yet.

sarahchant
September 18th, 2014, 07:35 PM
My main hairstyle is usually a stubby ponytail with the bangs pinned back or braided to the side (did I mention I am also growing out my bangs which lends to the awkwardness?!).

Madora
September 18th, 2014, 08:24 PM
With all due respect, ponytails are not your friend (repeated use can lead to either traction alopecia, or a bald spot where the ponytail once hung). Try using little hair barrettes (all one piece). I know short hair is hard to live with and the growing out process is tiresome. I would wait until your hair is mid back before doing anything drastic. Just keep up with the S and Ding every week and use gentle, hair friendly products.

sarahchant
September 18th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Thanks Madora. I know you're right about ponytails. I have a hard time getting barrettes to work in my slippery hair but I've found little claw clips hold pretty well. How damaging are they in comparison to traditional ponytails?

GetMeToWaist
September 19th, 2014, 12:52 AM
I think you're 2a. Your hairis very pretty.

Phexlyn
September 19th, 2014, 01:08 AM
You're definitely in the 2 range, but I'm not sure about a or b. This may change as you grow out the bleach and your hair gets longer.
I agree that CB isn't that far away and you can already to stylish and protective updos at that length, so I'd grow until CB and them slowly trim out the damage. Continue with your S & D until you get there.

I think claw clips are not as bad as ponytails. Just make sure they don't have any sharp edges and that you don't always put them in the same spot. You could try doing several smaller peacock twists until your hair is long enough to fint into a single one.

lapushka
September 19th, 2014, 06:00 AM
Looks 2a to me. I'd type again once you gain some length (at least APL). The texture still might change. Some waves need length to develop properly.

Wosie
September 19th, 2014, 06:59 AM
My first guess was 2a/2b and I'll stick to it... for now. ;) It might turn into a solid 2b once the hair's gotten longer. Looking forward to seeing what your hair'll look like when it has grown some more!

sarahchant
September 19th, 2014, 04:27 PM
I just want to say thank you so much to those of you who responded. This hair growth journey will be a healing process for me (I hope!) as I have struggled with embracing my natural hair color and texture, and have felt the need to conform to standards of the people around me.
I am very much looking forward to seeing my hair's natural texture because I always assumed I had straight hair since it didn't hold curl well and went very straight when blow dried that way.
(If heredity has anything to do with it... My mom had 1c hair and my dad and brother have 2c hair)

I hope it takes less than a year to get to CBL from where I am now. Six months would be even better!