PDA

View Full Version : Greasy roots, dry ends

Spinder
September 17th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Does anyone else get both greasy AND dry hair?... I find that my roots get really gross looking after not washing for several days, most especially if I've been sweating a lot around my head (this usually happens when I'm sleeping)... on the other hand, everything else tends to get dry as toast extremely quickly, especially if I've been outdoors.

Are there any good washing methods that others have found helpful?

Anje
September 17th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Well, it's plausible that your ends need clarified, which would contribute to them feeling dry. Other than when you're clarifying, though, you want to make a point of just shampooing your scalp and not really lathering up the length, since shampoo can be kinda drying.

Finding a good conditioner and perhaps a leave-in is helpful for dry length. So are occasional deep treatments. (I'm hooked on one that you mix up called an SMT. Link is in my sig -- I like it that much!)

Lots of people also find their hair benefits from a little tiny bit of oil being smeared on the length and ends. Coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil are all popular options. Just put a small drop in one of your hands, rub them together so they're just a bit shiny, and pat/smooth it onto your length and ends. Heavier applications are good, too, but usually reserved for a few hours before a wash.

sparrowswing
September 17th, 2014, 04:30 PM
This was the normal state of my hair before I started keeping it up all the time. Even now I have to oil my ends once in a while, and I always CWC - condition from the neck down, shampoo around the scalp without rinsing out the conditioner, rinse, and then condition again, usually putting it up with an acrylic hairstick to let the conditioner sit until the end of my shower when I do my final rinse.

I do still wash my hair around twice a week, though, every other day if it's been hot (I have the same problem if my scalp gets sweaty). Some people can manage just fine washing their hair once a week, but even after 2+ years of "training" my scalp to produce less sebum, my hair is still just too oily to go longer than that unless I'm actually going for the ragamuffin look.

gthlvrmx
September 17th, 2014, 04:50 PM
You can try rubbing your ends on your roots to help spread the oil. That should help a bit

sarahchant
September 17th, 2014, 04:56 PM
I have this exact same problem so I'm watching the thread for all the helpful responses!

SkyChild
September 17th, 2014, 04:57 PM
My hair used to be just like that. It has improved 100%

Boar bristle brush!
Brush thoroughly with BBB. I do this regularly to help spread the oil from my greasy roots to dry ends. Also wash less regularly and use dry shampoo to help stretch washes. As previous posters have mentioned, lightly oiling the ends can help too.

MsPharaohMoan
September 17th, 2014, 07:50 PM
My hypothesis:

When you keep your hair up for the majority of the time the hairs that were meant to fall get trapped in your bun/braid/etc. When you take down your hair and notice fuzzy ends despite having slicked back roots (when styling your fingers will slide the roots of the loose, trapped hairs by the roots down), it could be because of the trapped strands. A detangling session is in order, especially if you plan on taking measures that others have suggested: bbbing, clarifying… It could be that all your hair needed was some detangling.

JustPam
September 18th, 2014, 05:43 AM
My hair is the same, I'm considering CWC washing method and getting into the habit of doing updo's every day

lapushka
September 18th, 2014, 07:31 AM
My hair is clarified-washed every week. I have oily hair, but my lengths get dry, the shampoo adds to that. This is why I condition twice. I know, it gets old, me talking about it, but it truly does work. Double conditioning makes up for the dryness that is my lengths and evens things out. The link to WCC is in my signature, if you're interested.

AmyBeth
September 19th, 2014, 12:19 PM
I CWC as described by SparrowSwing (only once a week, for me, though), and oil the ends as described by Anje. I really don't mind the oiliness as much as the dryness. Oiliness, to me, means that my hair is safe from dryness and damage, so I just put it up and forget it, because updos tend to disguise the oiliness on my hair. Dryness on the ends is what I don't want to tolerate, because the ends are so much more vulnerable to damage, especially for us fineys. We have to weigh looking like a greaseball against protecting the hair, and for me, protection always wins the day!:p

MNDaydreamer
September 19th, 2014, 02:08 PM
I have this problem too. I am going in to town today for a boar bristle brush. I will let you know how that works for me.

MiamiPineapple
September 19th, 2014, 02:27 PM
The BBB REALLY works. I had the same problem and the brush has allowed me to wash once a week. The brush conditions my ends and I use a little dry shampoo on the roots towards the end of the week. I also put a few drops of baby oil on my ends and brush through to help maintain the moisture level.

ExpectoPatronum
September 19th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Count me in as having greasy roots and dry hair.

Things that helped me:

-Shampooing only my roots.
-WCC method (wash, condition, condition)
-Conditioning only from the ears down.
-Oiling only from the ears down.
-Not touching my hair.
-Using a BBB at night to help move the scalp oils down the hair shaft.

Tabamnoc
September 19th, 2014, 05:29 PM
I notice that after I moved to a city with hard water mine became so dry and grabby on the length...I would try chelating for sure! Aubrey Swimmers shampoo has worked great and finishing with a vinegar rinse keep is soft and sleek

kelseyxface
September 19th, 2014, 06:38 PM
I see the boar bristle brush has been brought up, but I think "proper" brushing technique with it might also help!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmNVWpP01KQ

brushing my hair in the manner described above really helped distribute my hair oil, and kept my ends from being so dry and my roots so greasy. (in fact, I think he gives a more detailed explanation of what I just said. :)) Also, invest in some leave in conditioner for your ENDS ONLY. I just started using this hair salve from (https://www.etsy.com/shop/NightBlooming?section_id=12807124&ref=shopsection_leftnav_1) that's helped keep my ends moisturized.

And as Anje said, shampoo can be drying. But what makes shampoo drying is sulfates, which can actually also make your hair extra oily. IE the sulfates are stripping out so much oil it's causing your scalp to make too much because the scalp thinks it's dry. The sulfates are also drying out the ends. Try investing in a SLS free shampoo, that may also help to sort out your problems. (: Been where you are, don't worry! Just keep experimenting, it does eventually get better.

lapushka
September 20th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Count me in as having greasy roots and dry hair.

Things that helped me:

-Shampooing only my roots.
-WCC method (wash, condition, condition)
-Conditioning only from the ears down.
-Oiling only from the ears down.
-Not touching my hair.
-Using a BBB at night to help move the scalp oils down the hair shaft.

Not touching the hair has been one of the key things in my routine. After it is washed, it gets combed out when damp (can't when wet), and then it is left alone to dry and is never in any way manipulated (unless to put up), but not by a brush or comb I mean, so my scalp is totally left alone until the next wash - it helps *hugely*.

Mimha
September 20th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Hi Spinder.

I have found my own solution to naturally condition my hair when it's freshly washed (and therefore at its driest) : I use my BBB still bearing sebum on it and I brush the length and the ends with it, kind of "giving back what I took before", except that I do not touch the roots. Result : I never need any conditioner, it is 100% free and natural ! (Actually I have 2 BBB which I wash alternatively so as to always have one oily and one clean). And like lapushka, I avoid touching my head and hair too much. Spacing the shampoo and diluting it with water has also helped me to slow down the spontaneous oiling process : I can now wash my hair every 4 days only instead of every 2 or 3 days like before.