PDA

View Full Version : Complete and Utter Long Hair Newbie

Thrundor
September 17th, 2014, 01:11 PM
So as the title of my thread suggests I am very new at having hair that reaches past my shoulders and I have many questions to which I hope there are answers.

To start everything off is washing/conditioning of my hair. I have thick hair that reaches past my shoulders now and I really feel that the commercial shampoos that I have been using are really hard on my hair.

I have been trying http://www.fieldworkssupply.com/hose-off-body-wash/ but I am not sure if I like it. Are there better commercial shampoos out there?

The second choice/idea is for me to make my own shampoo but I am overwhelmed with the amount of information here at TLHC on this topic. Do I need a acid and a base? What should I use for them? Does it need an oil? Does it need to be refrigerated? And one of my main question on this topic is regarding the use of henna on hair, is henna used only as a coloring agent or does it also have benefits for your hair?

That is all starting off,

~Thrundor

Thrundor
September 17th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Looking up the Boar Bristle Brushes I found https://www.morroccomethod.com/ does anyone have experience with them?

Madora
September 17th, 2014, 01:30 PM
I have no experience with that method, Thrundor. For what it is worth, here is my collection of tips for using a pure boar bristle brush (based on more than 40 years experience):
Brushing with a boar bristle brush

Bend at the waist and bring all hair in front of you like a curtain
Finger comb gently down through the hair (I use 2 fingers)
Take a small, thin section of hair, and working from the ends, comb it out gently with your wide tooth comb. Go up the strands, little by little, until you reach the roots. You might want to scrunchie the hair you have already detangled to keep it separate from the other hair.

Continue until all the hair has been detangled

BRUSHING – Canopy hair:

Start at the nape and slowly brush down your hair to the very ends. Go slowly!

Follow each swipe of the brush with the palm of your other hand. Your brush is the (+) and your hand is the minus (-). This method helps calm the static made by the brushing.

Underneath the canopy:

Place the brush bristles on your forehead and slowly move the brush into your front scalp hair. Raise the brush up slightly (about 3 inches), then extend your brush directly out in front of you then down to the floor. The brushing motion should be fluid. Moving from the hairline, up, out and down..all one motion..no jerking. Do it slowly!

Continue brushing again down the nape (canopy hair) and the under canopy hair.

When hair has been fully brushed, part it from nape to forehead so that it is in two sections.

Hold the ends of the hair so that the left section is in the left hand and the right section is in the right hand.

Stand erect.

Take the hair in the right hand and gently place it over the right shoulder and let it fall.

Do the same with the left hand side.

Check for tangles once again, then style as desired.

Number of strokes: Is a matter of preference. Consistency is more important than quantity.

VERY IMPORTANT!

If you have never brushed your hair in the bent at the waist position (i.e. “upside down”, it is imperative that you start your brushing routine slowly...with a minimum of strokes.

Your hair follicles need time to adjust themselves to the way they are being brushed. If you brush too much, your scalp will HURT!

Thus, when starting out, start with 10 to 15 strokes to begin with. Then, over the next few weeks, add a stroke or two when you can do so comfortably. Keep adding strokes until you reach your goal.

About hair brushes:

Although I have no evidence to back this up, I think the shape of the brush has a lot to do with how well it interacts with your hair. My Goody brush is made of wood, measures 8.5 inches from top to bottom, is 1.4 inches wide, the handle measures 4 inches and it has 7 rows of moderately stiff, thin flexible black boar bristles. It is narrow and not oval. My hands are small and this type of brush is much more ergonomically friendly than a large, oval paddle brush.

About natural boar bristles:

They are the shed “hair” of the wild boar and as such, mesh well with going through human hair strands.

They can be of various lengths, thicknesses, colors. Stiffer, longer bristles are supposed to be able to handle thicker hair. Personally, a stiffer, thicker bristle didn't work for my very thick hair. I prefer a bristle that is still with a little flexibility to it.

The stiffness in your bbb will lessen with time...depending on how much you use it.

Be sure your brush has bristle clumps that are NOT packed closely together!
These types of bbbs do not go through hair easily. Also, stay away from bbbs that have a rubber base. Rubber generates friction.

Miscellaneous:

For best results, keep your brush (and comb) squeaky clean. Wash both weekly (preferably more) with a nail brush or toothbrush in warm soapy water. Rinse well with cold water, shake off water. Fan the bristles with your fingers to remove as much water as possible. Dry all wood parts on the brush. Place brush with bristles side down, on a lint free cloth, out of the way of direct sunlight. Store it in an airtight box to keep lint/dust from getting on it.

Your bbb should be flat on the bottom, not round! Why? Per Dr. George Michael in his "George Michael's Secrets for Beautiful Hair" (1981) "...because you brush your hair with a flip of the wrist, when you use a round brush this tangles long hair. So, if your hair is anything over 10 inches long, use a brush with a flat or elongated base and hold it with your thumb at the base to avoid a flipping motion, even though this flip of the wrist is okay for shorter hair."

Benefits of regular, daily boar bristle brushing (in the bent position):
Distributes the hair's natural sebum down the strands
Exercises your hair follicles, which is necessary for good hair growth
Removes dead hair cells/lint/dust from your hair
Over time will leave your hair glossy and incredibly soft

How often to brush: - Every day...in the morning..when you get up. Per Dr. George Michael, this is the optimum time to brush.

Try and be consistent – do the same number of strokes per day.

Brush gently and always detangle with a wide tooth comb BEFORE brushing.

Try to wear something other than nylon or rayon when brushing as both fabrics can cause more static.

Never, EVER, toss/fling/throw your hair over your head when you are finished brushing. You want to keep the hair as free of tangles as possible.

NEVER, EVER, BRUSH YOUR HAIR WHEN IT IS WET OR DAMP!

Keep your brush free of shed hairs. Clean it out after each brushing session!

Brushing is good for your hair, provided you use a natural boar bristle brush and the proper technique. (However, it is not recommend for curlies since the structure of their hair does not lend itself to brushing).

Nearly everything I've learned about hair care came from Dr. George Michael, the Czar of Long Hair. I've never been disappointed with his advice!

Brushing does work – it all boils down to your brush and how you use it.

Zesty
September 17th, 2014, 02:19 PM
So as the title of my thread suggests I am very new at having hair that reaches past my shoulders and I have many questions to which I hope there are answers.

To start everything off is washing/conditioning of my hair. I have thick hair that reaches past my shoulders now and I really feel that the commercial shampoos that I have been using are really hard on my hair.

I have been trying http://www.fieldworkssupply.com/hose-off-body-wash/ but I am not sure if I like it. Are there better commercial shampoos out there?

The second choice/idea is for me to make my own shampoo but I am overwhelmed with the amount of information here at TLHC on this topic. Do I need a acid and a base? What should I use for them? Does it need an oil? Does it need to be refrigerated? And one of my main question on this topic is regarding the use of henna on hair, is henna used only as a coloring agent or does it also have benefits for your hair?

That is all starting off,

~Thrundor
Okay, I'm going to address the bolded things.

If you feel that commercial shampoos are too drying, have you tried the conditioner-only method (using a light, runny, silicone-free conditioner to wash your hair, skipping shampoo altogether)? Have you tried not using sulfates (sodium lauryl/laureth sulfates are common ingredients in shampoos that many find too harsh)? Have you tried conditioning twice (WCC) or conditioning before and after shampooing (CWC)? Is your scalp unhappy, or is it the hair itself? Also, what kind of hair do you have? You say thick -- how thick? Is it curly? Is it fine or coarse? Knowing your hair is a big step towards knowing what might work for you.

As far as "better" goes, there is "conventional wisdom" on the LHC that says to avoid sulfates and silicones (e.g. dimethicone) in your shampoo and conditioner. This works for many people, but some do better WITH those ingredients. You'll have to experiment and find what works for you. TRY NOT TO CHANGE TOO MANY THINGS AT ONCE. I can't stress this enough. If you suddenly switch to using 5 new products, you'll never know what worked/didn't work for your hair.

Re: making shampoo. I used to make shampoo with eggs, olive oil, and water, so that might be something to look into.

Re: henna. Yes, it does have additional benefits/effects, other than color change.

For both "making your own shampoo" and henna, I would go here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

I know it's confusing starting out, but you should really read as much as you can and take things one at a time. Go slow and it won't be as confusing. For example, work on finding a cleansing method that is right for you, whether or not that involves shampoo. You could try sulfate-free shampoo, CO, and make-your-own, in that order, for example.

torrilin
September 17th, 2014, 02:24 PM
The first and most obvious thing... the body wash you're using is a soap, not a detergent. Soaps generally have a pH that's more alkaline than human skin, and hair does better with a pH closer to that of human skin. You can test the pH using pH strips, or you can contact the manufacturer to see what they shoot for to make sure.

If the pH is alkaline, a step to try is a dilute vinegar rinse. Vinegar is acidic, and acid neutralizes alkaline. If the smell of vinegar is too much, dilute citric acid can work too.

Another obvious step to try is diluting your shampoo. Most cleaning products are pretty concentrated, and if you use less, you get a gentler result.

Conditioner can help add moisture. Your hair needs a certain amount of oil and fatty acids to stay soft and flexible. If you don't have enough, it can feel like straw, and you can have breakage problems. (same goes for skin!) Since I'm sensitive to a lot of fragrances, my favorite conditioners are fragrance free ones like Alaffia's Everyday Shea and Alba Botanica's Leave In conditioner. I also tend to use fragrance free lotions (and shampoo). If you're concerned about "girly" smells, fragrance free might be a good place to start. The two I mention tend to be easy to find at natural foods stores or grocery co-ops. Another option is using straight oil, like olive oil or coconut oil. I'd usually suggest a conditioner first tho, as it's easier to get the right amount for your hair.

Products that contain a lot of clay can be drying. The clay is meant to absorb oil. For me and my dry skin, that'd mean that no matter how much I like the products you're using, they'd be too drying. Plenty of people with XY chromosomes have dry skin too, it's not just for those of us with XX :). So it may wind up that you need a milder cleanser.

If you're interested in boar bristle brushes, I'd check at the same stores where you find your current products, or at stores that sell the fragrance free stuff I use. They're a good choice for a lot of hair care regimens, and I think it's easier to buy a brush in person where you can handle it directly. The folks who sell them often use them, and first hand advice is valuable.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 17th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Hello Trundor! If you want to try something simple for your hair, you could try diluting your current shampoo 50/50 with water in a little applicator bottle and applying it to your hair that way. You use much less, it is easier to apply and because you use less, it doesn't cause the same damage to your hair. Plus the shampoo lasts longer before you need to buy more. You only really need to shampoo your roots, the lather from there runs down when you rinse it and cleans your ends anyway, plus they don't get as dirty as your roots.

Hope this helps:)