PDA

View Full Version : Starting up going to ren faires - help?

SkyChild
September 17th, 2014, 12:38 PM
So following on from Foxy's lovely ren faire braiding thread... I've recently decided to start making tie-dye clothes (some with added bits and pieces) for selling at various festivals etc. But I saw this lovely braiding and thought I could maybe do that too. My hair is longer than it's ever been before but still not properly LONG. So... which hairstyles would you include if you were braiding at a ren faire? How difficult are they, generally? How much do people usually charge? (I'm in the UK but don't think there's UK Faires, or if there are, they don't have braiders!) I'm hoping I can put a message out and get people in my area with long hair so I can practice but I need to get pretty good for next Summer so I can go to various festivals etc

darklyndsea
September 17th, 2014, 12:59 PM
This (http://frenchbraidsbytwistedsisters.com/) is the website for the braiders I usually go to. Generally speaking, you need choices for short haired people as well as for long hairs. 4+ strand french and dutch braids seem to be standard. I believe my last braid, a spiral braid with accents, was US$45, which was the top of the price scale.

Madora
September 17th, 2014, 01:18 PM
That sounds like fun, but I wonder if the braiders have to indemnify themselves with the fair operators. It would be terrible if a patron was unhappy with the braiding (after the fact) and complained that you were rough with their hair, or used something that gave them a rash, blah, blah, blah.

As far as styles were concerned, I've seen braiders with pictures of braids (done on other people) with a small description and price for the creation. Also, and I can't say it enough, state that not all braids will work with all hair lengths..not to mention thickness or thiness. Some people want the most ornate braid in the book but don't have the volume or length to carry it off.

Try and have a tri level of braided styles...from basic simple (3 strand crown braid) to more complex, to utterly over the top.

Be up front with the patron and tell them how long it will take to braid the style. Some folks are impatient!

Good luck!

SkyChild
September 17th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Thanks darklyndsea, I will take a look at the website.

You are right ladies, of course, in that I should practice different ones for different lengths, thicknesses etc
I like the idea of a three tier system Madora, I shall research and practice these.

Would it be a good idea to have a book of example photos with the grading next to them so people can choose?

I'll have a poke around to find out fair pricing too.

And of course, Madora, most fairs I've been to for other things have a complete form to fill in and various insurance details need to be provided (we were doing massage last time, but same idea)
I was planning on using no product at all if I could get away with it, possibly something bland without common allergens as a stand by if people want (and also a full ingredients list just in case!)

Libbylou
September 17th, 2014, 02:36 PM
http://pandoraslocks.com/ Braided my hair at a festival. That was a few years ago and hair was shoulder length. I paid $35 for a simple braid into a bun. She used gel and a boat load of hair spay when she finished. Didn't ask. Needless to say I washed my hair the very next morning. I passed on the braiding last week at the ren fair, spent the money on a hair fork instead. I will admit, there were two braiding companies there and both always had someone getting braided. All the ren fairs I have been to require you be in period costume, but I am sure you know that.

SkyChild
September 21st, 2014, 02:00 PM
Libbylou I didn't know that but it won't be a problem as A) there's not a lot of Ren Faires here, and B) I'm in a drama group so have a whole wardrobe of period costumes ^^
I think it'd be nice to offer a no-product and natural product option as well as gel and hairspray, just in case. I'd like people to feel comfortable

darklyndsea
September 21st, 2014, 03:34 PM
I just thought of something...here, at least, I think anyone who works with hair professionally has to have some sort of certification/license. So you might want to check if that's required.