PDA

View Full Version : How much time?

lapushka
September 17th, 2014, 08:42 AM
How much time does it take you to wash your hair? I mean from the moment you switch on the tap, until you shut it off permanently. Not the rest of the primping and preening, that's excluded. Just the time it takes to wash.

For me it's now 12-15 minutes.

The tap is shut off both times conditioner is applied (for 2 min. at a time), and I count that in the time it takes, but... the deal is, I use a hell of a lot of water. My hair is washed forward BTW in a big sink with a tiny showerhead mounted on the tap. It's especially equipped for me (I'm disabled).

Thankfully this happens only once a week, and washing is the biggest ordeal of my routine. The rest of the week my hair can be basically left to its own devices (it's up 24/7).

So how 'bout you?

DreamSheep
September 17th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Actually, a reason I do my best to wash my hair once a week or less is because of the amount of water I use.
I haven't timed my tap-time, but it can be 20-30 mins from entering bathroom to leaving bathroom. I sometimes wet my hair under the tap whilst the water warms up because it is faster. I have water off whilst applying shampoo, and wash it out as thoroughly as I can. Then I add my conditioners and hair-masks, which I do leave on for quite a while, and in this time I usually wash my body briefly (water on) and shave (water off mostly). The longest time the water is on is for the final rinse, because I always find there is some residue left in my length, and whenever I miss a bit out I get gunky product build up.

StellaKatherine
September 17th, 2014, 09:03 AM
I remember times when it still take me 5 min to wash and condition my hair... The other day I was going to a very late shower and for some reason my husband though that I was going to wash my hair. And he was like " No way you can be washing your hair, you have no time left!" :D Yup... he learned allready, that washing my hair takes time. I would say if not counting pre oiling and other things I will try out, the from the opening the water and to having the last rince it takes about 45 min :( Yeah... But I wash about every 10 days, so not too bad in the end ;)

But then again... I kinda consider hair washing as a pleassure as well and not something to fight with ;) So just time spending with me, myself and my hair ;)

spidermom
September 17th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Hard to say. A few days ago I took a 9-minute shower, which I noticed because I was running late for an appointment. I washed my hair and everything else in that time, also used conditioner.

Madora
September 17th, 2014, 09:04 AM
At least an hour. My hair is thick and I long. I try and keep it separated during the entire shampooing and rinsing process, which takes a bit of doing. The rinsing is the longest part because I want to make sure all of the shampoo is gone.

neko_kawaii
September 17th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Five minutes. That includes body.

ARG
September 17th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Hair washing day, as its known in my family, last 15 minutes for me, not counting shaving or cleansing the skin. I used to wash with all my hair forward using the shower head in my hand for better rinsing accuracy and that cut down my time by about 5-7 minutes, but a couple months ago I realized I couldn't bend over due to my balance being off, now I can't bend over at all. So now I rinse with my hair back, and that isn't giving me as good of a rinse (why does the shampoo cling to my temples?!).

An average shower on non-wash day is 10 minutes. I like hot water.

Edelweiss
September 17th, 2014, 10:18 AM
It really depends. Between 5 and 25 minutes seriously. Depends if I have to rinse a lot before putting shampoo or not. Depends if I use conditioner or not.

TrapperCreekD
September 17th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Hmm, probably about 30-35 minutes? Non hair days are a super fast 5 mins.

Sarden
September 17th, 2014, 10:59 AM
I used to be really fast in the shower - like, 5 mins literally for hair and body. Now that Ive introduced a proper routine it's up to a whopping 10 mins, but it feels like a really long time for me. Im always stuck for things to do when waiting for my conditioner - after I've washed my body that's it (I wax all over so no shaving).

Lapushka - on the subject of washing your hair forwards... I realise that it's a necessity for you but do you think that doing it this way has any adverse effects on your hair? I fancied trying it like this when I'm doing treatments to avoid getting in and out of a shower and getting my whole body wet but I always worry about the mechanical damage of combing my hair into the "right" way again. I dont know if this was something I read somewhere or just something I imagined on my own and considered asking you peeps here about it.

Any thoughts?

fišrildi
September 17th, 2014, 11:11 AM
It takes me about 20-30 minutes, but I am not using water for more than 10 minutes or so. I wet the hair, then wash the scalp with conditioner, rinse. Apply conditioner to the length (no water). Detangle, leave it on for some time, rinse. Apply mask, leave it on for 4 minutes or so. Rinse again. I wash once a week, so it's ok for me. When I've been in a hurry I have managed to do it in 10 minutes or less.

Agnes Hannah
September 17th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Em about 20-25 mins in total, that's shampoo, cond twice Lapushka method, and body!

lapushka
September 17th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Lapushka - on the subject of washing your hair forwards... I realise that it's a necessity for you but do you think that doing it this way has any adverse effects on your hair? I fancied trying it like this when I'm doing treatments to avoid getting in and out of a shower and getting my whole body wet but I always worry about the mechanical damage of combing my hair into the "right" way again. I dont know if this was something I read somewhere or just something I imagined on my own and considered asking you peeps here about it.

Any thoughts?

No, on the contrary, it enables you to get the shampoo distributed well (well, my mom does all the "scrubbing" for me). It gets put into a turbie towel like this, with the hair forward, and then after that it gets combed out while damp (still forward), so that gets all the tangles out (if there were any). Due to moisturizing well, I don't get tangles, and so there's no damage when the hair is flipped right side up.

jupiterinleo
September 17th, 2014, 11:55 AM
It probably takes less than 10 minutes to wash my hair, including getting it thoroughly wet and rinsing. Around 6 minutes, likely. This is with shampoo and conditioner. CO washes takes a little longer, as I need to get A LOT of conditioner and spread it all around. My long showers, hair washing + shaving, are around 20 minutes. I have the tap off when shaving, though.

jeanniet
September 17th, 2014, 11:59 AM
5 minutes tops. We're in a severe drought so I'm not willing to take longer anyway.

GetMeToWaist
September 17th, 2014, 12:10 PM
A long time... If I'm shaving my legs, armpits, washing my face, brushing my teeth, body scrub, shower gel, trying to get thick hair wet, CWC. It's a wonder I even get out of the shower.
And then after there's the towel drying, body lotion, foot moisturiser, mouthwash, face moisturiser, hair whipping, leave in conditioner, getting into pajamas, nightrobe...
Looking at this, i use way too many products. Don't even know what to cut out!

LadyCelestina
September 17th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Around 20-30 minutes,but up to an hour if my hair is very tangled,which of course I'm trying t avoid :o

Gertrude
September 17th, 2014, 12:41 PM
t takes me two minutes to C and put shampoo on my scalp only , then two minutes to let the shampoo work, two minutes ( lots of water comes out of shower), then C again, let that sit five minutes, do other shower- things, then rinse out the conditioner for three minutes, so the whole hair washing takes just under fifteen minutes.

With shower cap on I still shower at least 8 minutes as I love hot water for my joints.

dogzdinner
September 17th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Probably only about 5minutes for the washing part but I do like to mooch around the house with pre wash coconut oil and conditioner on my head so I like to leave my afternoon free for pampering (sometimes a face mask will come out too!) :)
I dont use much water though, only a bucket full....and I know this coz I dont have a shower or any taps I can stick my head under so I always lean over the bath with a bucket and a jug (old timey style!!LOL).

darklyndsea
September 17th, 2014, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure. I'm faster than I used to be, since I haven't emptied the water heater in the past few years...

Aestuo
September 17th, 2014, 12:55 PM
I used to rush it back when I was impatient and a High School student.

Now, it depends. If I'm showering it takes 15-20 minutes total; when I just do my hair over the side of the bath, it takes about half an hour because I'm super gentle with it now.

I think some of the extra time is spent on just wetting my hair and letting the oils run through it to the roots, since they're so dry.

brickworld13
September 17th, 2014, 01:32 PM
If I'm only doing my hair it takes 10 minutes or so. Washing the rest of the body or shaving adds time. If my back and neck are sore, I will stand under the hot water until I get some relief or run out of hot water.

Carolyn
September 17th, 2014, 02:03 PM
I've never timed it exactly but a bath with hair washing takes me about 20 minutes. That includes body and face washing and shaving pits, arms and legs. A bath with no hair washing takes maybe 10 minutes. I've never paid any attention to how long it takes in a shower versus a sit down bath. I don't have that luxury at home. When my hair was shorter I would sometimes wash and condition with my hair forward in the kitchen sink. I don't do that now because my hair is too long to do that easily and getting in that position is very painful for my back and neck. I might try it if my sink was ever free of dirty dishes but that hadn't happened in recent memory.

Singing Bird
September 17th, 2014, 02:10 PM
I always wash my hair separately and it takes maximum 10 minutes.

Sarden
September 17th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Thanks for your reply - I don't get that many tangles either, it's more the process of getting my hair from the "upright" position down again via combing - it feels like a lot of "pull" on my hair. My hair is quite fine and light though so it doesn't have enough "weight" to right itself when I flip my head up if you know what I mean. Still, useful to know that others have success like this and will definitely try it (gently).

MJ1972
September 17th, 2014, 03:43 PM
It depends on what I'm doing. I've recently begun washing my hair twice on wash day, because I realised that one CO-wash wasn't enough to clear my temples of the baby powder I put there to stretch washes. So now I use two different conditioners: one to cleanse, another to cleanse again and moisturise. That routine takes me about twelve minutes. If I add an apple cider vinegar rinse, which I haven't done for my last three washes, it will add another minute or so to my routine. If I shave, that adds two more minutes. I try to turn the tap off when I don't really need it, but I still end up consuming more water than strictly desirable. CO-washing is bad that way. My hair loves it, though. :-)

Macaroni
September 17th, 2014, 05:10 PM
10 minutes in the shower; shampoo roots, rinse, apply deep conditioner over entire head and length, cover with plastic cap, do other stuff :), remove cap and rinse. Voilą!

dellad
September 17th, 2014, 05:43 PM
45 minutes. I wash my hair about twice a week. Not sure why it takes me so long. I could never get it under 30 minutes, even when my hair was short.

Zindell
September 18th, 2014, 03:15 AM
Five minutes. That includes body.

Same for me.

Wash hair. Every second time I wash my hair I also put in a hair mask after the wash.
Wash body.
Rinse hair mask (if I have one in).

5 min tops. :o

Libbylou
September 18th, 2014, 03:54 AM
I have never timed it but, I take about 10 minutes to shampoo and rinse. I rinse for what seems like forever. I rarely condition in the shower, just a couple drops of baby oil as leave in on damp hair. I do stand in the hot shower for a while to ease my joints that ache.
I have found out that for me, non sls shampoo takes less time to rinse out. Could be my imagination though.

pixldust
September 18th, 2014, 04:00 AM
I'd say shampooing and rinsing takes a couple of minutes, then conditioning twice with each conditioner left on for two minutes so including rinsing both conditioners out too I'd reckon about 7 mins or so. If I decide to use a mask on the ends of my hair I leave that on for about two mins as well so that would take it to about 9 minutes. I try to strike a balance between being gentle with my hair and not having it wet for too long.

restless
September 18th, 2014, 05:43 AM
Good question... I“d say shampoo + rinse it out is 2 minutes and apply conditioner 30 seconds. I then turn off the water and do the rest of my shower tasks for maybe 4 minutes before I rinse out the conditioner for another 2 minutes. So hair only? Around 8 minutes when looking at it this way, but I could easily cut down on the time the conditioner just sits there in half or so if I was only to wash my hair and not do the rest of the shower stuff.

embee
September 18th, 2014, 06:33 AM
I've never tried to time the actual *hairwashing*. My detangling is done before I go into the shower room, and the hair is put into a bun with a waterproof stick. It stays up until I've washed my body - otherwise it's just in the way! Then it's pull out the stick, wet the hair, pour very diluted shampoo over, very little scalp massage and plenty of rinse. Often it's just a rinse with the warm water, no shampoo at all. Total elapsed time from going into the bathroom to coming out is about 20 minutes - and that includes weighing myself, washing my body, cutting nails, putting on lotion, etc.

I'd love to stand in the shower until the hot water runs low, but feel guilty about all the water and the heating of it. Bummer, ecological guilt. :(

Platzhalter
September 18th, 2014, 06:34 AM
For me it's 15-20 minutes with BSL hair.

KwaveT
September 18th, 2014, 06:55 AM
It probably takes about 20 minutes for me with shampooing and conditioning. I am constantly during the process separating shed hairs and placing them on shower wall and sink counter. I shampoo just the scalp but I apply conditioner root to tip on every strand.

Chromis
September 18th, 2014, 07:51 AM
For a shower when I am washing my hair it takes about 5 to 10 minutes. This includes lathering my length twice and scalp three times with an acidic rinse at the end. I use a shampoo bar, no conditioner. I detangle my hair before I shower and do not do any gymnastics like flipping my hair upside down or such.

For a regular shower it takes me about 3 to 5 minutes. On cold days or after a hard workout sometimes I catch myself luxuriating under the nice hot water for a minute, but five minutes is a very long shower to me! If I am shaving it takes closer to 10 minutes.

My wash time has not changed as my hair has gotten longer. My drying time is still remarkably similar as well since my nape is what takes the longest. My ends are dry long before it is!

Anje
September 18th, 2014, 08:49 AM
I'd say a shower with a hairwash takes maybe 12 minutes, less if I'm not lollygagging in the warm water. The last year or so I've been doing a basic diluted shampoo + conditioner routine the most. So it's just shampoo, rinse, apply conditioner, and stick it in a shower cap to marinate. Wash body, shave pits, rinse hair, done. Obviously, hair-washing alone wouldn't take as long except for the marinating step, but it's easier to integrate it into the shower routine.

Getting my hair wet probably takes a minute, and rinsing takes a bit of time too. It's not that thick, but it tends to shed water if I'm not plunged into a pond.

lapushka
September 18th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Getting my hair wet probably takes a minute, and rinsing takes a bit of time too. It's not that thick, but it tends to shed water if I'm not plunged into a pond.

My mom timed that for me, it's between 30 seconds to 45 seconds to get it all thoroughly wet here, yeah, about a minute. Odd but I guess that's one of the downsides of having long hair, it takes a while to get wet. :D

PurpleSunshine
September 18th, 2014, 09:04 AM
A shower without shaving legs takes about 12ish minutes. With shaving my legs it takes about 25 mins to 30 mins, but that might be because I dont shave often enough, I usually wear pants, so I let my leg hair go crazy, and then when I do shave it clogs up my razor so it takes longer. And my showers in winter take longer since I really like the warm water since I feel like I'm cold blooded.

I wash with shampoo once on the scalp only, and then I put conditioner from neck down on classic length hair, and let that set for about 5 mins and let it soak up good.

Sarden
September 18th, 2014, 10:11 AM
I'd say a shower with a hairwash takes maybe 12 minutes, less if I'm not lollygagging in the warm water. The last year or so I've been doing a basic diluted shampoo + conditioner routine the most. So it's just shampoo, rinse, apply conditioner, and stick it in a shower cap to marinate. Wash body, shave pits, rinse hair, done. Obviously, hair-washing alone wouldn't take as long except for the marinating step, but it's easier to integrate it into the shower routine.

Lollygagging = favourite new word :cool:

BleachedBerry
June 4th, 2020, 10:46 PM
When I co wash every few days or sometimes daily depending. it takes like 2-3 minutes.
When I actually wash every 2-3 weeks it takes a while. Never timed it though. Here goes my routine
I wash with my normal shampoo. Massage about 2 minutes. Rinse for 2 minutes at least. Apply my purple shampoo, wait 5 -7. Rinse for 3-5 minutes. Then My regular conditioner, massage 2-3 minutes or as long directions state then rinse and rinse some more, like 5 minutes, Then deep condition 10 minutes.Rinse 1-2 minutes. ( sometimes I will put a shower cap and heat for 30-1hr. or sleep in it with a shower cap and a hat or scarf over that, but I will not calculate into my time.)

25-35 minutes total. Wow. I guess its quite the ordeal. Never realized how long it takes me just to wash my hair. Though the tap is defiantly not on the whole time.

Unless you only count the shampoo then just a few minutes.

auburntressed
June 5th, 2020, 12:17 AM
When I wash my hair, it adds about 5-7 minutes to my shower time. The majority of that is spent rinsing.

SleepyTangles
June 5th, 2020, 01:35 AM
15 minutes is the regular time. May go up to 20 if I'm unwinding.
Without hair washing may be a little less, 10 minutes or so.

Feral_
June 5th, 2020, 01:55 AM
Just the washing - water only - about 5-6 minutes.
In shower warm water - wash back and sides of hair / scalp separating each side.
Wash fringe and top of scalp.
Flip hair upside down and wash underneath and lastly in same position turn shower to cold to rinse.
When my scalp is numb I stop and squeeze water out etc.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 5th, 2020, 02:05 AM
For a scalp only wash, about 2 minutes, for a full wash, about ten minutes.

Belgrade Beauty
June 5th, 2020, 02:44 AM
Until the warm water is gone. More than 30 minutes. I admit it includes full body shower but that's just because I'm impatient when I apply conditioner or mask,it should be left at least 3 min and if I don't occupy myself with other stuff I'll just wash it off immediately. Then on the second conditioner I shave or something...In total it's always 30 min, especially if I use some rinse(acv or tea)...Shampooing doesn't take that much time...

Bri-Chan
June 5th, 2020, 03:13 AM
A shower to me takes about 10 minutes. With hair... I think about 10 minutes more. But usually a shower + hair takes me more than 30 minutes because I enjoy relaxing under warm water.
But if I add the pre and post shampoo (detangling and styling)... Well that takes me about 40 minutes or more.

Ylva
June 5th, 2020, 03:55 AM
About 30 minutes now. It consists mostly of waiting with conditioner in my hair. The tap is running only when wetting and rinsing my hair.

I do wash my body while waiting on the conditioner, though.

A regular shower without washing my hair would be around 5 minutes, without the tap running constantly.

lapushka
June 5th, 2020, 04:10 AM
Yes, me too. I shut off the tap after wetting my hair, and after putting my shampoo in, a bit of water to suds up, but then there's no need for water to be running all the time. And while I wait when my conditioner marinates, same thing.

unheardletters
June 5th, 2020, 04:39 AM
2-3 minutes from first turned on to permanently off, it depends on if I need to rinse any conditioner off. And much of that time the water is off while applying shampoo and conditioner. I probably run water for 30 seconds total for getting hair wet, rinsing shampoo out, and I only rinse conditioner for 3-5 seconds, and only if necessary.

MeganAimee
June 12th, 2020, 06:29 PM
About 5-6 minutes right now with my hair BSL. I feel like it still took about 5 even when it was hip length, but it's never been longer so I won't know until I read beyond hip!

ioanaxena
June 12th, 2020, 11:42 PM
Hmm, it takes me about 15 minutes (shampoo, rinse, conditioner, rinse, hair mask, rinse). I always leave my conditioner and mask for about 5 minutes each and rinse thoroughly, as I have thin and fine hair and it will become limp and lifeless if it dries with so much product in it. I do put a leave in conditioner on damp hair, but it’s a small amount and it only takes me a few seconds to distribute on my ends.

Lucy McLucyFace
June 13th, 2020, 01:25 AM
Around 15 minutes. Most of the time is spent struggling to lather shampoo in. It's always been extremely tough to do so properly no matter what length.

Back when I unnecessarily washed it every day it was easier just because I didn't need to properly lather it since it wasn't dirty at all. Now washing every 5 days it's become very difficult but doable nonetheless

BethiBerries
June 13th, 2020, 03:15 AM
the shortest amount of time is 15 minutes and the longest time i've spent is 45-50 minutes.
it often takes a long time because i'm bad at keeping track of time and sometimes i do a hair rinse afterwards.

my hair is pretty thick and I would say pretty long as well - its only about hip though -

lapushka
June 13th, 2020, 04:12 AM
This is the current situation for me.

I'm typically not one to leave a hair mask in 30 minutes or more (even an hour or so). It has to go "fast". And even then I seem to spend a lot of time just with the air drying process and all.

My wash has to go fast, so I almost never let my conditioner or mask sit longer than 2 minutes at a time. Even then it takes me 12 - 15 minutes just to get from brushing it out dry before the wash, to putting it up in a towel after the wash. 15 minutes is all I can take. :lol:

I spend 2-4 hours airdrying, which is in part nice because then I "only" have to diffuse for 5 minutes to get it dry (little dampish at the ends). My hair would take over 8+ hours to dry if left to its own devices. When I was bra strap it took me that long. I'm willing to bet it would even take longer now. :shocked: