PDA

View Full Version : fiğrildi's 1st Hairyversary! (pictures, pictures and more pictures!)

fiğrildi
September 17th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Hello all! Finally, it's been a year since I joined LHC :joy:
Me and my hair wanted to say a big thank you, we're both very happy with our improvements!

My journey begins in september 2013, after 3 years of curly perms, heavy damage, heat styling, and other horror stories. I had always thought that my hair was long and beautiful, because I had been receiving compliments all my life... yes, hard to believe! I didn't even stop to think when was the last time that I had received a compliment... probably a long, long time ago.
Until one day I looked at myself in the mirror, and I looked at my "mane" from the back for the first time in years... and I was horrified! Really, was that my hair? What have I done with it? So I started looking for ways to get my hair back, and I found LHC.
Here's the first picture I took of my broomstick-mane, where my journey begins: september 2013 (beware, the following picture could hurt the sensibility of your beautiful filamentous biomaterials!)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12477&d=1407662077

The first thing I did after taking this picture, was going to the hairdresser (where I would not go ever again), and chopped the worst part off, leaving me with much shorter hair (you can see my natural roots are about 5 inches long):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13120&d=1410959648

The chop was very needed, but it made me feel very sad and I avoided looking at myself in the mirror for some time, until my hair grew a bit longer. Simultaneously, I started the curly girl method, co-washing my hair twice a week. 3 months later, in november, my hair was looking much better, fuller, softer, the layers were growing, and I was starting to feel very excited about the improvements:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12472&d=1407660919

I was still dealing with frizz, and I didn't like the fact that my fake curls were looking more and more curly (because of the contrast with the straighter roots). However, it was a big improvement in a very short amount of time. I started doing Cassia treatments, braiding my hair at night, and I stretched co-washes from twice to once a week. And my hair kept growing (february 2014):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13116&d=1410951621

Still, there were days in which my hair looked ugly and awful, and even if I was happy about it growing so fast, the ends were incredibly damaged. I learnt how to self-trim, and I began S&D method. I went back to BSL that same month, not noticing much improvement in the overall look:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13115&d=1410951428

By June, my virgin roots were longer and the curls started to vanish, but after lots of S&Ding my hemline was looking weak and ugly again:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13119&d=1410952258

I was getting desperate and losing my patience, having to chop the ends every time my hair was getting longer, and actually thought about giving up. That's when I posted a thread asking for help: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123375
I got lots of lovely replies, and decided to maintain at BSL for some time. My hemline got thicker, and the layers almost dissapeared. I kept trimming, babying the hair with oils, doing lots of masks. I reduced the use of the tangle teezer, I got silk pillow cases and a BBB, and started rinsing my hair with cold water.

Picture comparison between April and August 2014:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12650&d=1408642551

And finally, today! Two weeks ago I got my first silk sleeping bonnet, which is doing wonders. I've also started doing the final rinse with ACV along with cold water, not combing or brushing my hair unless it's not necessary, and I'm wearing protective styles on a daily basis. The only products I use are paraben free, SLS free, colorant free conditioners; coconut oil, ACV, and occasional argan oil. One year later, I have some wonderful hair toys to play with, I have done my first swap in the swap board, I have learnt how to do lots of different braided styles. My ends are looking nice for the first time in more than 4 years! My hair is shiny, and I only have about 6 inches of permed hair left. I am almost ready to start growing my hair to Classic, instead of maintaining and trimming all the time.
I will probably have to re-classify my hair to 2a when it's all virgin (which will happen sometime next year!).

Here's my hair this morning, uncombed (4th day after wash). Not looking perfectly healthy yet, but I never thought I would get such an improvement in just one year!
And I can't wait to see how long will it be by my next hairyversary... thank you, LHC! :flowers:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13112&d=1410950569

Madora
September 17th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Hello all! Finally, it's been a year since I joined LHC :joy:
Me and my hair wanted to say a big thank you, we're both very happy with our improvements!

My journey begins in september 2013, after 3 years of curly perms, heavy damage, heat styling, and other horror stories. I had always thought that my hair was long and beautiful, because I had been receiving compliments all my life... yes, hard to believe! I didn't even stop to think when was the last time that I had received a compliment... probably a long, long time ago.
Until one day I looked at myself in the mirror, and I looked at my "mane" from the back for the first time in years... and I was horrified! Really, was that my hair? What have I done with it? So I started looking for ways to get my hair back, and I found LHC.
Here's the first picture I took of my broomstick-mane, where my journey begins: september 2013 (beware, the following picture could hurt the sensibility of your beautiful filamentous biomaterials!)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12477&d=1407662077

The first thing I did after taking this picture, was going to the hairdresser (where I would not go ever again), and chopped the worst part off, leaving me with much shorter hair (you can see my natural roots are about 5 inches long):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13120&d=1410959648

The chop was very needed, but it made me feel very sad and I avoided looking at myself in the mirror for some time, until my hair grew a bit longer. Simultaneously, I started the curly girl method, co-washing my hair twice a week. 3 months later, in november, my hair was looking much better, fuller, softer, the layers were growing, and I was starting to feel very excited about the improvements:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12472&d=1407660919

I was still dealing with frizz, and I didn't like the fact that my fake curls were looking more and more curly (because of the contrast with the straighter roots). However, it was a big improvement in a very short amount of time. I started doing Cassia treatments, braiding my hair at night, and I stretched co-washes from twice to once a week. And my hair kept growing (february 2014):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13116&d=1410951621

Still, there were days in which my hair looked ugly and awful, and even if I was happy about it growing so fast, the ends were incredibly damaged. I learnt how to self-trim, and I began S&D method. I went back to BSL that same month, not noticing much improvement in the overall look:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13115&d=1410951428

By June, my virgin roots were longer and the curls started to vanish, but after lots of S&Ding my hemline was looking weak and ugly again:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13119&d=1410952258

I was getting desperate and losing my patience, having to chop the ends every time my hair was getting longer, and actually thought about giving up. That's when I posted a thread asking for help: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123375
I got lots of lovely replies, and decided to maintain at BSL for some time. My hemline got thicker, and the layers almost dissapeared. I kept trimming, babying the hair with oils, doing lots of masks. I reduced the use of the tangle teezer, I got silk pillow cases and a BBB, and started rinsing my hair with cold water.

Picture comparison between April and August 2014:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12650&d=1408642551

And finally, today! Two weeks ago I got my first silk sleeping bonnet, which is doing wonders. I've also started doing the final rinse with ACV along with cold water, not combing or brushing my hair unless it's not necessary, and I'm wearing protective styles on a daily basis. The only products I use are paraben free, SLS free, colorant free conditioners; coconut oil, ACV, and occasional argan oil. One year later, I have some wonderful hair toys to play with, I have done my first swap in the swap board, I have learnt how to do lots of different braided styles. My ends are looking nice for the first time in more than 4 years! My hair is shiny, and I only have about 6 inches of permed hair left. I am almost ready to start growing my hair to Classic, instead of maintaining and trimming all the time.
I will probably have to re-classify my hair to 2a when it's all virgin (which will happen sometime next year!).

Here's my hair this morning, uncombed (4th day after wash). Not looking perfectly healthy yet, but I never thought I would get such an improvement in just one year!
And I can't wait to see how long will it be by my next hairyversary... thank you, LHC! :flowers:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13112&d=1410950569

Oh,fiorildi!!!!!!!!! How beautiful your hair is! I love the pic in the green top! Exquisite! Happy anniversary!

Phexlyn
September 17th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Wow, what a difference! You have come a long way, and your hair looks great!
You'll have all virgin, and even longer hair for your next anniversary and after what you've already achieved, you know that your persistence will pay off.

Congrats, fiğrildi! :)

DreamSheep
September 17th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Happy anniversary fidrildi! :)
Your hair looks absolutely gorgeous now and the changes are absolutely stunning! :) Hope you will stay here for years to come <3

Nebulae
September 17th, 2014, 08:00 AM
:thud: WOW, what a difference! So shiny, so healthy, and it has grown so much! Congratulations! :cheese:

Clarkie
September 17th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Wow, what a transformation! Congratulations, your hair looks so much healthier.

OrganicJewel
September 17th, 2014, 08:02 AM
you and your hair have come a long way and your hair is GORGEOUS now! GREAT JOB!!!

fiğrildi
September 17th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Thank you Madora! The underlayer of my hair is naturally darker, so it makes such a weird effect when I braid it!

Thank you Phexlyn, yes, I'm so glad that I didn't loose all of my patience! It has been a very though journey, and I still have a long way to go, but I'm very happy :)

DreamSheep, thanks! I will stay here for a long time, I love the forum and the lovely people on it :)

martyna_22
September 17th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Wow, you've made enormous progress! :flower: Right now your hair seems so soft and silky.. Well done! :)

fiğrildi
September 17th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Nebulae, Clarkie, OrganicJewel, martyna_22: flowers for you! :flower:
I am also amazed about the transformation, I'm glad that I took many pictures to see the gradual changes and evolution :)

Amapola
September 17th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Happy hairyversary! What progress you have made, and in only one year - ! Amazing! Your hair is very beautiful, and I look forward to many more hairyversarys in the future. Congratulations!

Nymphea
September 17th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Wow, I am seriously amazed!! Your hair is so shiny and beautiful in the last picture! Go growing, excellent job! :D

lunalocks
September 17th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Just beautiful. Can't wait til hairversary 2 when we will see and even more dramatic transformation from one year ago.

arelrios
September 17th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Beautiful hair ... I love the color, the shine, the texture... those waves... oh wow... those waves :crush:

lapushka
September 17th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Am I the only one who can't see any pictures? :confused:

fiğrildi
September 17th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Thank you all! :crush:
lapushka, humm, that's weird! The server was busy a few minutes ago... maybe try refreshing the page? The pictures are from my album, so you should be able to see them :shrug:

lapushka
September 17th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Thank you all! :crush:
lapushka, humm, that's weird! The server was busy a few minutes ago... maybe try refreshing the page? The pictures are from my album, so you should be able to see them :shrug:

Now I see them! :D Gorgeous. Amazing progress in just a year. Congrats!!!

Dickiebow
September 17th, 2014, 10:03 AM
wonderful progress. Your natural hair is lovely. That last picture is simply stunning.

Santi
September 17th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Fiorildi, your story is very inspiring. Thank you for sharing your progress pics. Your hair is beautiful!

TrapperCreekD
September 17th, 2014, 10:28 AM
:thudpile: The transformation between the first and last photo is so amazing!

ARG
September 17th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Such amazing progress! Congratulations on healthy hair! Your natural color is gorgeous!

lapushka
September 17th, 2014, 10:32 AM
I grew out a couple of perms a few years ago as well. By treating them major CG, it wasn't so bad, and I managed to grow from shoulder all the way to hip. Lotta damage though, that had to be cut out, so I was back at BSL. Perms have their good and bad sides, definitely.

Sarden
September 17th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Simply inspirational, thanks so much for sharing - such a dramatic difference in a year. The second to last (green top) is my favourite!

fiğrildi
September 17th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Aww, thank you all, you make me blush! :o
I have never dyed my hair, but it looks much darker indoors... and it can change and look very different colours under different lights. This summer I haven't been exposed to the sun, so there is no sun damage of any kind, and I like the fact it looks darker :) I would like to henna at some point next year.

Indeed lapushka, CG has done wonders for me, even if I follow my own customized routine :wink:
I think it was you who made me discover this method when I joined, so thank you, it's been a huge help!
I was happy with my perm the first two years, it made a lot of damage but the curls I got were amazing (3b), and some people were surprised to hear that was not my natural texture. It just got to a point where the damage was so amazing that there were no curls anymore.

Sarden, the picture in the green top was taken after combing and brushing with BBB. I love the shine and waves it gives, but I prefer to keep it uncombed, so to avoid possible splits :wink:

maskedrose
September 17th, 2014, 10:57 AM
That's an incredible transformation! It's gorgeous now!

StellaKatherine
September 17th, 2014, 11:20 AM
WoW! So much difference in only one year!!! Your hair looks amazing now! Congratulations! It seems your hair grows very fast as well! Have you ever measured a montly growth ?

fiğrildi
September 17th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Thank you, maskedrose and StellaKatherine :flower:

I have tried to measure a monthly growth, but since I've been almost constantly trimming I can't get accurate results :p
This last month that I haven't trimmed, it has grown exactly one inch, and now in the middle of the second month without trims, I am almost a solid half an inch more... so I would say I have a monthly inch growth rate! Slowly trimming off the last inches of permed hair next year, at this rate I think I would be able to get very close to TBL by the end of next year, and all virgin :o But we'll have to wait and see!

jacqueline101
September 17th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Your hair is pretty and it's come along ways.

DweamGoiL
September 17th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Wow, what a journey! The transformation is absolutely inspiring. As I was reading your post, I thought to myself...my goodness, I used to do the same thing. I was a child of the 80's so you had to have BIG permed hair. I never even realized I was a wavy and insisted on chemically frying it over and over again. You did an amazing job and should be quite proud of your hair and yourself!

RapunzelKat
September 17th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Wow, your hair is looking great! So healthy and beautiful! :D
Looks like you've gotten a lot of the hard part out of the way. :happydance: Should be pretty smooth sailing from where you're at. Congrats on your anniversary, and happy continued growing! :D

GetMeToWaist
September 17th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Wow such a brilliant transformation! You look pretty 2a to me, i would agree.

ghost
September 17th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Your hair just looks better and better in each picture. Congrats on getting it to a healthier state!

Sarahlabyrinth
September 17th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Wow, what a difference! Your hair has come a looooong way and looks healthy, glossy and thick! :)

CitrusGirrl
September 17th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Wow, this is a great post and so inspiring! Well done :)

cocolover
September 17th, 2014, 09:18 PM
What an amazing transformation! Happy Hairversary!

Ingrid
September 17th, 2014, 09:55 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your transformation!! Your hair looks amazing now :) I'm so happy for you!

FoxyGhost
September 17th, 2014, 11:46 PM
That is some impressive change in one year. Your hair seems to grow pretty fast too. Good luck on getting to classic!

Sparklylady82
September 18th, 2014, 12:17 AM
Great job and an amazing transformation...I am glad you didn't give up!

YvetteVarie
September 18th, 2014, 01:08 AM
That is some amazing progress.

fiğrildi
September 18th, 2014, 01:27 AM
Thank you all! :flower::flowers: Yes, I think I have finally managed to get the most of the hard part out of the way! My ends feel very different now, not like straw anymore! The only thing that annoys me, is the fact that I don't know when my ends are going to look wavy, or show the true nature of the perm. They behave how the want, whenever they want, and there's nothing I can do to help it, but it's wonderful when they "decide" to look good for the anniversary picture :p

I have re-classified my texture as 2a/2b, though I will probably have to change it again to 2a in some months, when all the perm has definitely dissapeared :o
Now I can see that the underlayer of my hair, as well as some strands are in fact 1c!

Johannah
September 18th, 2014, 02:49 AM
Talking about a difference!! Congrats!!!

Hedera
September 18th, 2014, 04:45 AM
Wow, what a change!

Your hair looks SO gorgeous now.
And it seems to grow really fast, too - can't wait to see what it looks like next year!

Skade
September 18th, 2014, 05:01 AM
Happy anniversary fiğrildi! :cake: Thank you for sharing your journey. Interesting to see with all the pictures. Your hair looks great! :cheese:

Stray_mind
September 18th, 2014, 05:37 AM
Wooow. Your hair looks soo much healthier! It's like you had a make over or something.. keep up the good work and congratulations on your anniversary :cheer::beercheer:

CurlMonster
September 19th, 2014, 02:13 AM
Wow, what a difference just a year has made! Your hair looks so glossy and stunning!

MJ1972
September 19th, 2014, 02:34 AM
Amazing progress, Fidrildi! Your hair looks so much healthier now. It's quite impressive, actually, and inspiring to the likes of me, who are only just embarking on our hair-care journey...

Congrats!

Majormiles
September 19th, 2014, 02:50 AM
Love your hair, beautiful curls

fiğrildi
September 19th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Thank you Johannah, Hedera, Skade, Stray_mind, CurlMonster, MJ1972 and Majormiles :) :flower:
So glad to hear that my journey can be inspiring for someone! Finding the right routine is not an easy task, but I've had fun along the way!