PDA

View Full Version : Poll: how often do you get your hair WET?

OleanderTime
September 16th, 2014, 07:39 PM
I know we have a lot of polls and threads about washing frequencies - but I always notice that people say that they wash infrequently, but sometimes they condition or do a treatment only, or that sometimes they just rinse with water after the gym. :disgust: For me, the most damaging part of washing seems to just be having soaking wet hair that I have to leave down to dry, detangle somehow, and then put up carefully while still damp.

:confused: I am curious about how often people here get their whole head of hair wet: regardless of your washing method, and whether you're getting it wet to cleanse, condition, deep treatment, or just rinse - if you get it all wet, it counts! How often do you do it? :confused:

Feel free to add detail or context to your answer below, cheers!

(this is my first poll, i'm excited to see the results - i hope i do it right!)

excentricat
September 16th, 2014, 08:12 PM
I wash every 2-3 days as needed. I don't intentionally get my hair wet unless I'm planning on washing it.

rags
September 16th, 2014, 08:15 PM
I picked twice a week because that's all I wash it and I don't rinse or CO or anything in between usually. Sometimes in the dead of winter I'll throw an extra CO in because it's dry.

However - I'm not counting misting. Since you said get your whole head of hair wet I assume you're not counting a light misting in order to braid or bun more smoothly? If you are, then my answer should be closer to 4 times a week or so.

Ingrid
September 16th, 2014, 08:16 PM
...once a month :laugh:

gthlvrmx
September 16th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Once a week or once every 2 weeks.

Entangled
September 16th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Oh, I misunderstood you. I said every four-ish days because I scalp wash, but I only do a full-head wash once a week.

Larki
September 16th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Every other day - I don't have a shower cap to keep my hair dry in the shower, so I shower every other day and wash my hair every other day. If I had a shower cap, I might see if I could squeeze an extra day in there.

Anje
September 16th, 2014, 09:37 PM
2-3x/week, depending on how greasy my hair is, how lazy I feel, etc. It varies seasonally too: unlike most folks, my hair produces decidedly more oil in the winter, so I need to wash it more then.

skeletonous
September 16th, 2014, 09:45 PM
I voted daily because currently when I don't shampoo, I use WO. Otherwise my hair seems to get greasy much faster. Though that may change as my hair grows.

ghost
September 16th, 2014, 10:42 PM
I get my hair wet (and usually condition) every other day.

Becs
September 16th, 2014, 10:49 PM
I voted 3 (about every day but with a break now and then.) I tend to co wash my hair every other day-ish because I find it much easier to braid damp hair. I then leave the braids in for 2-3 days, and then when I'm ready to change them I co wash again. I also throw in a shampoo scalp wash whenever I feel it is necessary. Unlike some, I have never had getting my hair wet cause any kind of problems or breakage. In fact when I was in high school I swam everyday, so I had to not only wet my hair, but actually shampoo every day. And while my hair was not in the greatest condition I have ever had it in, it was still nice and manageable and still grew just fine :)

midbackorbust
September 16th, 2014, 10:57 PM
I shower and get it wet every day, and wash/condition about every three days :)

Marbid
September 16th, 2014, 10:59 PM
I do the hair washing routinely every monday.... Unless beach or pool... In which case i wait for the nearest monday to get back in routine.

Phexlyn
September 17th, 2014, 12:13 AM
I get my hair wet twice a week, when I wash it. I don't usually do treatments in between and I schedule my henna so that it's on wash day.

Ishje
September 17th, 2014, 12:32 AM
Depends on the season really, in summer I swim a lot, so I wash my hair more often.
On average I guess it is twice a week though.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 17th, 2014, 12:36 AM
I wet my hair only once a week on wash day. If I decide to stretch washes further it will be less often.

Nanna
September 17th, 2014, 12:45 AM
I hate to have my hair wet, so only wash it about twice a week. I hope to stretch it out eventually to once a week, or even to NW/SO. That would be so lovely, especially in the wintertime!

YGDW
September 17th, 2014, 12:52 AM
Every 4 days on average. Would like to go to once a week eventually.

Knifegill
September 17th, 2014, 01:03 AM
If I wake up and my waves are clowny or otherwise bedraggled, wetness will be had to restyle. If I wake up and it looks fine, then perfect. I do nothing. Probably every three days.

Rosetta
September 17th, 2014, 01:06 AM
Every other day, mostly, sometimes I stretch an extra day or so; I don't intentionally wet my hair if not planning to wash it (otherwise I wear it up when showering, of course).

Oh, I misunderstood you. I said every four-ish days because I scalp wash, but I only do a full-head wash once a week.
How is it possible to wash just scalp without getting the length wet..? :ponder: I'd never manage that...

sarahthegemini
September 17th, 2014, 02:27 AM
Generally speaking I wash it every other day so that's how often it gets wet. Sometimes though, if I wash on a Monday for example, and will be unable to wash it on the Wednesday (early start or something) then I'll just wash it the Tuesday. So yeah, my hair gets wet only when washed but that can be anything from 3/4 times (on average) to 6 or 7 a week.

Wosie
September 17th, 2014, 03:34 AM
I wash every three days, so I guess I did the right thing by choosing the twice a week-option...? I don't have two set wash days every week, I just always wash my hair every three days. I can't go longer, as the itch gets unbearable! shudder: I certainly avoid to wash it more frequently than that, as my hair gets frizzy and dry quite easily (I'm pretty sure my hair'd appreciate longer pauses between washes, but sorry, no can do! ...at least until I've figured out how to do scalp-only washes without getting the hair wet).

Johannah
September 17th, 2014, 03:37 AM
Twice a week, when I see CWC.

Carolyn
September 17th, 2014, 03:42 AM
I prefer doing a wash of some kind every other day. When I go to day 3 I pay for it with itchy scalp and the scalp zits start rising. My scalp and ends do much better if I wash at least every other day. My ends become dry and straw like if I don't wash and condition every other day. If you read my blog and my other posts on frequency of hair washing, you know that I don't believe stretching washes is beneficial.

Begemot
September 17th, 2014, 04:34 AM
I usually wash every other day but at least once a week I avoid washing the lenght. So sometimes I protect the ends and wash just the scalp, this happens probably once or twice a week. Those days are not my favorites cos I just love to use conditioner :p

dogzdinner
September 17th, 2014, 05:47 AM
Usually just once a week unless its been really hot and I have a sweaty head!I dont do any weird and wonderful treatments in between either, just shampoo, condition and oil weekly. I def couldnt do mine every 2-3 days though coz it takes that long for it to stop feeling really dry and frizzy (even after putting oil in).

martyna_22
September 17th, 2014, 05:52 AM
I voted 3, but it's more like 3 or 4. I use a very gentle shampoo and then some conditioner. My scalp is happy, so I'm happy :)

Zesty
September 17th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Every other day, mostly, sometimes I stretch an extra day or so; I don't intentionally wet my hair if not planning to wash it (otherwise I wear it up when showering, of course).

How is it possible to wash just scalp without getting the length wet..? :ponder: I'd never manage that...

There are various methods for getting your length out of the way/keeping it dry, some involving a plastic bag of some sort. When my hair was longer I would tip my head upside down, start a braid a few inches from my scalp, then hold the braid above my head in the shower while shampooing my scalp. Makes for a much shorter dry time.

I put twice a week. I was doing every other day, but I'm stretching to 3-4 with the goal of eventually washing once a week. Not really for the health of my hair, but because I hate the way my hair is after washing, and it takes forever to dry. When I get some length I might go back to every other day (or every third day) scalp washes, with length washes once a week.

ravenreed
September 17th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Every other day.

lapushka
September 17th, 2014, 07:32 AM
I get it wet/washed weekly. I need a wash 2 to 3 times a week, but it's been stretched to a week. That means I have oily hair for about half the week, but it's not *that* impossible to deal with as it's in an updo anyway (and hardly noticeable).

DreamSheep
September 17th, 2014, 07:34 AM
I do my best to wash every 6-8 days, so once a week. If I go swimming or do something that I consider damaging to my hair, then I may wash sooner. I do get greasy roots on the last days, but they aren't that visible.

Zugar
September 17th, 2014, 07:34 AM
I voted 7. Almost every day, due to hyperhidrosis. I do treatments when I wash my hair :)

Madora
September 17th, 2014, 07:36 AM
[Once a month (hi, Ingrid! :D[/I]

brickworld13
September 17th, 2014, 08:06 AM
It really depends on what my hair and scalp are doing. I try to go for once a week, but sometimes I have to do every 3 days. Occasionally I can make it to two weeks before washing.

TrapperCreekD
September 17th, 2014, 11:13 AM
I voted four times a week, though it starts to overlap a lot because I go by days, not specific days of the week. Wash; day three is a condition treatment that involves ninety percent of my hair getting wet; day five is washday; repeat ad infinitum.

fiğrildi
September 17th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Weekly, or less frequently. I usually wash once a week, which can be once every 6-10 days.

OleanderTime
September 17th, 2014, 11:43 AM
This is so exciting that so many people have responded to my first poll! I just came to check in on it, when I'm home from work I'll write more. Cheers, yay!

Dickiebow
September 17th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Every third day. My hair has become more greasy in the last few years. Wish I could stretch it a bit more.

molljo
September 17th, 2014, 12:13 PM
I wash my hair every 4-6 days, depending on when it needs it, and I do rewet my hair to refresh my waves throughout the wash cycle, so I picked "about every other day - a break now and then". However, I anticipate this getting less frequent once my hair gets longer.

coramDGildenher
September 17th, 2014, 01:41 PM
I "wash" my hair once a week with water (w/o girl). Adding EO plus coconut oil doesn't count. Love the time I save!

RapunzelKat
September 17th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Generally twice weekly for me. :) Occasionally I'll throw in an extra wash if I get really sweaty or something, and rarely I'll stretch a full week if I just can't find time for a second wash. If I'm doing a deep treatment I just schedule it before a morning wash and do it overnight (SMT usually).

I pretty much just shampoo, condition, let it dry, detangle, and put it back up. One thing I never do anymore is detangle wet hair - I've learned that that's breakage city! shudder: I will finger comb damp hair, and I'll frequently put wet, non-detangled hair in a bun to keep it out of the way while I do other things.

Singing Bird
September 17th, 2014, 01:54 PM
I wash my hair once a week but between two washes I once do scalpwash (I make a braid, tuck it in my shirt and wash the scalp in the sink).

SkyChild
September 17th, 2014, 01:58 PM
I wash my hair every 3 days so that counts as twice weekly I reckon.
If I'm swimming I usually try to plan it not on a wash day, and bun my hair to keep it out of the water. Sometimes if I'm going out on a day that's not a wash day and want to do something fancy with my hair I'll dampen it with a spray bottle or soak it in the shower before bunning to curl it, or combing it out to dry straight.
Or sometimes in Summer when I'm too hot or when I have a headache I find the best way to get rid of it without pills is just to shower and soak my whole hair as well... very relaxing!

Katlette
September 17th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Usually I get it wet 2-3 times a week on wash days. If I henna or do any other kind of treatment, I do it on a wash day. Sometimes it gets dripping wet with sweat but, again, I'll try to time most sweat-inducing sport for wash days.

This summer has been a bit of an exception. While on holiday I've swam a lot, meaning my hair has been wet up to 5-6 times a week.

Natalina
September 17th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Mostly 3 times a week, sometimes more or less depending on how fast my bangs got greasy. I usually only get my hair wet when I want to wash it, but sometimes the weather gets too hot so I just rinse with water.

pixldust
September 17th, 2014, 03:12 PM
When I wash my hair, which is normally twice a week. I occasionally wash a third time if I'm going out somewhere and want it to be clean but I'll have a go at de-greasing with cornflour first :D

kittenface
September 18th, 2014, 05:14 AM
I have really bad pollen allergies, so in the spring/summer I rinse my hair with water at the end of pretty much every day, which seems to help a bit. In the fall and winter I don't really want to deal with cold wet hair unless it's totally necessary, so only when I wash it - which is maybe 3 times a week on average?

Long_hair_bear
September 18th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Only once a week.... My hair takes like 5 years to dry.....

TheMechaGinger
September 18th, 2014, 01:56 PM
I only wash about two times a week but in between I'll do a water only rinse so it's about three times a week total that my hair gets wet. Otherwise it's in a bun on to of my head and under a cute little shower cap.

Stiria
September 18th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Once a week for me. :)

cathair
September 18th, 2014, 03:49 PM
I know we have a lot of polls and threads about washing frequencies - but I always notice that people say that they wash infrequently, but sometimes they condition or do a treatment only, or that sometimes they just rinse with water after the gym. :disgust: For me, the most damaging part of washing seems to just be having soaking wet hair that I have to leave down to dry, detangle somehow, and then put up carefully while still damp.

:confused: I am curious about how often people here get their whole head of hair wet: regardless of your washing method, and whether you're getting it wet to cleanse, condition, deep treatment, or just rinse - if you get it all wet, it counts! How often do you do it? :confused:

Feel free to add detail or context to your answer below, cheers!

(this is my first poll, i'm excited to see the results - i hope i do it right!)

I get my hair wet once every week - two weeks at the moment. Very much agree with the bolded part. I am more worried about my hair swelling up because it is absorbing water and then cracking along the outside, than I am worried about what I washing it with or how many time I wash it in that session. I would dislike getting it wet even more if it hadn't been pre-soaked in coconut oil because it then has no protection or waterproofing. So when I have a shower without washing my hair, I wear a shower cap and lower the shower so it's not near my head.

KwaveT
September 18th, 2014, 04:29 PM
I wash my hair every four days. I would stretch it to five days but I do all my shaving at same time. Five days is too long to wait on shaving.

Timea
September 18th, 2014, 04:36 PM
i only wet my hair if i am washing it and i wash it 2-3 times a month. if i get it wet without washing it, it looks horrible: greasy and stringy and it gets a weird texture like the water is caked onto it (we have really hard water).

earth
September 18th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Every 2-3 days unless I am in a smokey and place and I need to get rid of the smoke stink. I will then wash it as soon as possible.

Sammy-Catherine
September 20th, 2014, 08:09 PM
I'd say about twice, maybe three if there is an unexpected event where I need my hair down.

catamonica
September 21st, 2014, 03:55 PM
I wash my hair once a week. And do one scalp wash. I'm thinking of just doing two scalp washes,
washing it once a month. And wearing it up to see if it will grow longer. Might as well give it a try.

SongofLove
September 21st, 2014, 05:58 PM
I wash the length twice a week, but I do have to wash my bangs/fringe every day usually. I de-tangle before washing, then put my hair in a towel for an hour or so, and then if I'm able, I like to let it down to dry completely before I put it up. As long as I detangle really well before I wash, I can actually put it up without detangling if I need to, then just detangle whenever I get a chance.