PDA

View Full Version : matching toys with the right buns!

pastina
September 16th, 2014, 01:23 PM
im newly obsessed with hair toys and have gotten myself a small and widely varied collection going. problem is, i've yet to figure out which buns are best for each type of toy. for example, what is the best bun to show off a tt? and what is the best style for a multi-pronged fork, like a 60thSt or a GVW? and how would you put your hair up with a set of two pronged forks? aah! :doh: lol

Zesty
September 16th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Lazy wrap buns for all!

On a more serious note, this is a useful question, but one not easily answered. A lot of it will depend on your length. And a lot of styles can be done with many different toys and vice versa. And which updos you're most comfortable with will also be a factor. So it would be difficult to even catalog this, let alone answer it in a simple post.

So say, at waist I did a pencil or cinnamon bun, and I could use sticks, forks, a Ficcare, or a large Flexi to secure it. I could do a folded braid with an octopus claw clip. Braided updos with pins. Etc. At hip and TBL I did a nautilus or LWB with sticks and forks, mostly.

Right now I do a LWB with sticks and forks, ponytails and half-ups with Flexis, braided styles with pins. I could theoretically do a folded braid, French twist, etc. with a Ficcare, but I don't have one.

TL;DR: Experiment with lots of different styles and try different hair toys with them. There are useful lists of styles you could go through. There isn't a set list of styles that are appropriate for certain toys. Use your imagination~~~.

neko_kawaii
September 16th, 2014, 01:51 PM
I'll address the "show off a TT" question. CENTER HELD BUNS! Something where the stick is only partially covered. A really fantastic one is the pinless braided bun. Make a braid. Insert stick at top of braid, wrap braid behind stick. Some people can get that to stay put, hence "pinless" but don't hesitate to add a second stick or your favorite kind of pin to keep the end of the braid from working loose.

Wildcat Diva
September 16th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Great thread idea. But it's also largely individualized. I love the look of a Cinnabun plus Ficcare.
http://imageshack.us/a/img545/6158/634q.jpg

Wildcat Diva
September 16th, 2014, 06:55 PM
And.... The set of two pronged forks? I'm on it just a sec.

...messy Artemis bun...http://imageshack.us/a/img194/4343/photomay11155104.jpg

pastina
September 16th, 2014, 07:05 PM
omg those elymwolds! :agape:

sourgrl
September 16th, 2014, 07:16 PM
I'm a boring bunner :p Cinnabun or flipped Cinnabun for ficcares; lazy wrap bun for sticks. I loved the disc bun with a stick at shorter lengths.

With forks, pha bun unless I'm having an off day then it's an infinity/figure 8 bun

Stellaaa
September 16th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Love those Elymwolds, WCD.

My contribution:

How NOT to wear a petite TT - a Pha bun

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/Stellaaa/TTPhafail_zps0528874d.jpg
Pha bun is great for maximizing your hair, not so good for showing off accessories.

So, how to wear a petite TT in not-so petite hair? - CENTRE- HELD (like what Neko said but with British/Canadian spelling :))

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/Stellaaa/TTpink_zpsa06f7480.jpg

Now, exactly which centre-held bun this is, hmmmm, not quite sure, a lazy- nauti- wrap? It's an old picture...

mouse2cat
September 16th, 2014, 07:44 PM
I think it depends on how much of the hair toy you want to show. I don't own any super fancy sticks so it's not something I spent a lot of time thinking about. I would never put an expensive TT in something that wasn't totally secure.
I can only get my XL flexi8 to look good in a lazy wrap bun. It can only hold so much hair.

Different buns have different diameters so I love my 5" sticks for cinnabuns although they are mostly hidden I could never use that stick for a chinese bun. I'd need something longer.

The other thing I think about is the angle of the toy. So forks with larger toppers look great put in vertically and lopsided if put in at an angle. So if I had a really decorative fork I might do a figure 8 bun.

Phexlyn
September 17th, 2014, 12:51 AM
Wildcat Diva, those forks are spectacular in your hair! :)

Stellaaa, that's a perfect demonstration of how to show off (or not) your hairtoys.

pastina: depending on how much and which parts of your toy you'd like to be seen, you'll have to choose different buns. And if you can't get a style to hold with the toy you want - no problem. Just secure the bun with hair pins or spin pins, then put in the toy for decoration! So just go ahead and experiment! Your preferences will probably change with new lengths. There's also a "wear all of my toys once" challenge going on which you might want to look at ;)

Wildcat Diva
September 17th, 2014, 02:13 AM
Thank you all for compliments!

rowie
September 17th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Excellent thread idea! Everyone's photos looks amazing. WD I just love your style in how you place your ficcares.:crush:

As for me, I think you can wear any toy with any bun really. As long as you work it, in the end it will get noticed. But for the not so popular Ficcare shapes like the innovation and signature/millenium clips I tend to do certain buns with them because I personally like how these clips look in certain buns. For the innovation clip i've discovered I love wearing the "Log Roll" bun because I feel the structure needs a clip with a "death grip," and the innovations are known for this attribute. You could also substitute this with any clip, but I also love wearing the ficcarissimo and all other smaller sized clips for the log roll. For the signature/millenium clip I just love to weave it into a figure 8 bun. This particular clip I find will over power any type of bun, but for some reason it doesn't over power the figure 8 IMOP.

http://i.imgur.com/Fnd7Rs1.jpg

Kelli Kat
September 17th, 2014, 04:14 PM
I only know how to do one kind of bun, so I use all of my toys for it.

chen bao jun
September 19th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Gorgeous, Rowie. I can't decide which I like better.

Excellent thread idea! Everyone's photos looks amazing. WD I just love your style in how you place your ficcares.:crush:

As for me, I think you can wear any toy with any bun really. As long as you work it, in the end it will get noticed. But for the not so popular Ficcare shapes like the innovation and signature/millenium clips I tend to do certain buns with them because I personally like how these clips look in certain buns. For the innovation clip i've discovered I love wearing the "Log Roll" bun because I feel the structure needs a clip with a "death grip," and the innovations are known for this attribute. You could also substitute this with any clip, but I also love wearing the ficcarissimo and all other smaller sized clips for the log roll. For the signature/millenium clip I just love to weave it into a figure 8 bun. This particular clip I find will over power any type of bun, but for some reason it doesn't over power the figure 8 IMOP.

http://i.imgur.com/Fnd7Rs1.jpg

truepeacenik
September 19th, 2014, 10:12 PM
For the longest, my approach was KelliKat's I know this one bun, with one variation. So use it.

Then I finally got the logroll down. (It's a french twist at shorter lengths.)

I need to figure out a couple center hold buns.
Big toys often cost more.