PDA

View Full Version : Stretching washes help

Esperada
September 16th, 2014, 10:53 AM
I have a very very bad habit of washing my hair every single day, sometimes even twice a day.
I'm trying to stretch them but it just feels horrible.
I haven't washed it yet today but I'm desperate to. My hair does not look greasy but it feels it and my scalp feels kind of heavy and a bit itchy.
I've tried using dry shampoo but that makes my scalp feel horrible as well. Does anyone have any tips on stretching my washes?
I know I just need to keep at it and not wash but I can not stand the feeling of not having fresh cean hair.

GetMeToWaist
September 16th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Cocoa powder is good for a dry shampoo, also wearing it up in a bun makes you forget about it.

hanne jensen
September 16th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Try spraying your scalp with green tea. Brew some green tea according to instructions and put a little in a spray bottle and spray your scalp. Drink the rest-it's good for you.

Brushing gently with a BBB will distribute your sebum to your ends. There are threads here about how to properly brush your hair.

Esperada
September 16th, 2014, 11:04 AM
I will have to have a go at the green tea spray, I am sure I have some somewhere.
I've been wearing my hair up recently but my scalp still just feels yuck, coco powder doesn't seem to do anything at all for me, except make my hair smell a little coco like :)

lapushka
September 16th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Is it because it's really oily, or because of the thought that it's not freshly washed, thus it "must" be dirty? I'd go on whether or not it's really oily or not, and try and stretch from there. Even just washing once every other day will be a victory for you, but since I think you've never done that before, you can't know for sure.

Zesty
September 16th, 2014, 11:21 AM
When mine starts getting greasy and itchy, in the evening I do a BBB brushing with my head upside down, sectioning to get to most of the hair, and then spray diluted aloe on my scalp. The next morning it somehow doesn't look as bad and also feels better. Some people also do well with not touching their hair at all, but I find that the evenings of days 2 and 3 benefit from a little intervention.

calmyogi
September 16th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Witch hazel helps with itch and sebum production too. But, make sure it's 100% witch hazel and doesn't have alcohol in it. If you go to wal mart or walgreens or something they will have witch hazel by the rubbing alcohol for pretty cheap, but that's generally cut with alcohol. You will probably want to go to a health food store or be very specific about what your looking for. Than put some in a spray bottle and lightly spray on your scalp or dab on with a cotton ball.

Madora
September 16th, 2014, 11:29 AM
I have a very very bad habit of washing my hair every single day, sometimes even twice a day.
I'm trying to stretch them but it just feels horrible.
I haven't washed it yet today but I'm desperate to. My hair does not look greasy but it feels it and my scalp feels kind of heavy and a bit itchy.
I've tried using dry shampoo but that makes my scalp feel horrible as well. Does anyone have any tips on stretching my washes?
I know I just need to keep at it and not wash but I can not stand the feeling of not having fresh cean hair.

Well, if you continue on the washing every day (and maybe more) path, you'll end up with hair that looks like hay.

Try and find a gentle shampoo and switch to that. But before you shampoo again, I think it would be a good idea to do a CLARIFYING shampoo FIRST. Followed by a conditioning treatment. NEUTROGENA ANTI-RESIDUE clarifying shampoo has received good reviews here. I use it too (straight, not diluted!)

The clarifying shampoo removes all the gunk on your strands, leaving them naked and haylike. However, the conditioning treatment afterwards restores your hair's softness, etc.

Some other questions: How do you use your fingers when you shampoo? Do you follow each sudsing with a cold rinse (or as cold as you can stand it)?

Since you state that your hair does not look greasy but it feels like it, that sounds like you've got too much stuff on your hair. Too many products can coat the strands, leaving them looking greasy, and worse, lank and limp.

Dry shampoos do not cleanse. They only cover up. If you want clean hair, shampoo it with a hair friendly shampoo (shampoo twice..once to remove the surface dirt, the second time to concentrate on cleansing the scalp). Condition your hair AFTERWARDS. The whole point in shampooing is to CLEAN your hair. Condition is to make it soft and protected.

Now, as for stretching washes....you can't stretch washes unless you are willing to:

1 Keep your hair up and protected. When it is up, there is less chance for it to get dusty/linty
2 Keep everything OFF your hair except your shampoo. If you must oil, use a lightweight oil, such as Mineral Oil. Don't load down your hair with stuff! The more stuff you put on your hair, the more it attracts every - living - particle - in - the - universe.
3 Brush your hair daily with a boar bristle brush (in the bent at the waist position). Brushing helps remove lint and stuff caught in your hair. It stimulates the hair follicles and removes dead hair cells and fallen hairs, and spreads the hair's natural sebum. If you have not brushed REGULARLY, then start out slow...about 10 strokes. As your scalp accustomizes itself to the brushing, add a few more strokes, until you reach your goal. The thing to remember is: be consistent when brushing. Quality, not quantity! Do it every day!
4 Keep your hairbrush and comb squeaky clean! Wash them frequently, preferably every day.
5 Wear something on your head when you go out
6 Ditto, if you're indoors cleaning, or outdoors gardening, etc.

MsPharaohMoan
September 16th, 2014, 11:34 AM
You could bbb and then do only a scalp wash if you have long enough hair. For now work on cutting out the twice a day washing. It's just not necessary nor conducive to good hair health. Then work on stretching your washes to half a day longer (eg. day one wash in morning, day two wash in evening). Once this seems normal you can make the leap to sleeping with greasy hair and washing in the morning. Do you know what I mean? Also, coconut oil is great for prewash so your hair shaft doesn't swell so much eta: but Madora is right - less is more, especially because oils can cause buildup.

blace
September 16th, 2014, 11:35 AM
...then spray diluted aloe on my scalp. The next morning it somehow doesn't look as bad and also feels better...

Diluted aloe as in gel+water in a spray bottle? What ratio?
Silly question but I love aloe and would like to incorporate this into my own procedure for stretching washes. I can't stand that itchy feeling.

Johannah
September 16th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Wearing your hair up definitely helps and brushing it with a BBB makes my hair feel less greasy as well. But in general I think it's just a phase you need to go through. If you keep hanging on washing it once a day, the feeling of dirty hair will disappear after a while and you can go further with washing it every other day. It requires some self discipline. And that's hard, but in the end it will be worth it.

Zesty
September 16th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Diluted aloe as in gel+water in a spray bottle? What ratio?
Silly question but I love aloe and would like to incorporate this into my own procedure for stretching washes. I can't stand that itchy feeling.
Yes, I have a clear aloe gel from CVS that I use. As far as ratios go, it's less than half and half... I have a 3oz spray bottle and I put in a small dollop (.5-1tsp) of gel and then put in enough water to fill to about 1/3-1/2 of the bottle. So it is rather strong I suppose. I was afraid I'd have crunchy roots with a strong dilution but no problems with that yet. I section my hair and spray my scalp after brushing, sometimes I wipe a bit away with a washcloth (probably helps remove a bit of sebum). If I have an extra itchy spot where I didn't spray, then I spray that. I have a dry scalp prone to flakes, and I find this helps a lot with itchiness.

...Maybe more information than you wanted to know, but there it is. :p

blace
September 16th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Yes, I have a clear aloe gel from CVS that I use. As far as ratios go, it's less than half and half... I have a 3oz spray bottle and I put in a small dollop (.5-1tsp) of gel and then put in enough water to fill to about 1/3-1/2 of the bottle. So it is rather strong I suppose. I was afraid I'd have crunchy roots with a strong dilution but no problems with that yet. I section my hair and spray my scalp after brushing, sometimes I wipe a bit away with a washcloth (probably helps remove a bit of sebum). If I have an extra itchy spot where I didn't spray, then I spray that. I have a dry scalp prone to flakes, and I find this helps a lot with itchiness.

...Maybe more information than you wanted to know, but there it is. :p

Thank you! Off to mix up some of my own...:run:

Wildcat Diva
September 16th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Instead of the green tea, I use Rooibos tea. You could also add an essential oil like tea tree, lavender, rosemary. Or even neem oil. Some people hate the earthy smell tho.

Vrindi
September 16th, 2014, 12:30 PM
It took a long time for me to stretch washes for the same reason - I didn't like how it felt and my hair would get super greasy. Wearing it up really helped, and stretching just a bit at a time. I'd literally add on 12 more hours between washes at a time, for about a month each for my scalp to adjust. So, month one, I washed every 36 hours (day and a half, so sometimes nighttime washes, and sometimes in the morning, alternating.) Month 2 was every 24 hours. Month 3 was every 36, etc. Now I can get away with going 3 or 4 days between, sometimes longer but not usually.

Some people can start stretching washes by going cold turkey, but for some of us, it's a matter of patience. Your scalp will adjust though.

sarahthegemini
September 16th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Well, if you continue on the washing every day (and maybe more) path, you'll end up with hair that look like hay

Oh for goodness sake, stop preaching this. It is simply not true.

OP, if your hair is greasy - wash it. If it isn't, don't. If that means washing daily, so be it. Don't feel like it's a crime to do so. And don't let anyone on here make you feel guilty for doing so.

Stretching washes doesn't work for everyone - for those that have oily scalps because they wash too much (and thus their scalp over-compensating - which btw I don't really believe is a real phenomenon but I digress) then fine, in theory stretching washes will help. For those of us that have greasy scalps regardless, it doesn't work. So don't feel bad if you need to wash daily - it isn't a disastrous way to treat your hair IF IT NEEDS IT.

I am really getting fed up of the whole 'you must not wash your hair more than x amount if you want nice hair!' And of course x amount always relates to how often the person saying it washes their hair. Convenient...

Anyway, if you really want to stretch washes, try keeping your hair up so you're not tempted to touch it too much. And use as little products post wash as possible. But if it doesn't work, that's okay too.

Esperada
September 16th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Thank you everyone!
I'm currently using Tresseme naturals shampoo and conditioner which I believe is meant to be gentle.
I use the tips of my fingers and massage quite hard when using shampoo and I always shampoo twice and then condition.
I haven't got a BBB but I am looking into getting one, I currently use my fingers and a tangle teezer on my hair.
I don't use any other products apart from a light jasmine scented oil on the very ends of my hair and only a tiny amount as well

I's currently been around 32 hours since I last washed my hair so not doing too bad compared to normal.
Another question is I'm soon going to be starting a new job woking in a fast food place, what ould be the best way to protect my hair when working? It has to be warn up, I have to wear a hairnet and a cap, no other coverings are allowed. I'm afraid that I will finish work and my will jut stink of chips and oils.

calmyogi
September 16th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Oh for goodness sake, stop preaching this. It is simply not true.

OP, if your hair is greasy - wash it. If it isn't, don't. If that means washing daily, so be it. Don't feel like it's a crime to do so. And don't let anyone on here make you feel guilty for doing so.

Stretching washes doesn't work for everyone - for those that have oily scalps because they wash too much (and thus their scalp over-compensating - which btw I don't really believe is a real phenomenon but I digress) then fine, in theory stretching washes will help. For those of us that have greasy scalps regardless, it doesn't work. So don't feel bad if you need to wash daily - it isn't a disastrous way to treat your hair IF IT NEEDS IT.

I am really getting fed up of the whole 'you must not wash your hair more than x amount if you want nice hair!' And of course x amount always relates to how often the person saying it washes their hair. Convenient...

Anyway, if you really want to stretch washes, try keeping your hair up so you're not tempted to touch it too much. And use as little products post wash as possible. But if it doesn't work, that's okay too.

I'm sorry but I think that if most people washed their hair more than once a day it is going to be like straw. My scalp will tell you that it needs daily washing, but the length of my hair pays the price if I wash more than every other day, and even then it still needs lots of moisture added to the ends after. I think their is something to the over production phenomenon.

Zesty
September 16th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Another question is I'm soon going to be starting a new job woking in a fast food place, what ould be the best way to protect my hair when working? It has to be warn up, I have to wear a hairnet and a cap, no other coverings are allowed. I'm afraid that I will finish work and my will jut stink of chips and oils.
Try to make an updo that exposes as little of your hair as possible? Like a compact bun, as opposed to something more spread out? That way when you take it down most of it will smell like whatever it normally smells like (conditioner?). It wouldn't take care of everything, but it might help. Hopefully others have better ideas.

Madora
September 16th, 2014, 01:30 PM
I'm sorry but I think that if most people washed their hair more than once a day it is going to be like straw. My scalp will tell you that it needs daily washing, but the length of my hair pays the price if I wash more than every other day, and even then it still needs lots of moisture added to the ends after. I think their is something to the over production phenomenon.

Yes, calmyogi. It will end up looking like straw. The "straw" description is from the knowledge of Dr. George Michael, world famous "Czar of Long Hair" who knew what he was talking about...from YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WITH ALL HAIR TYPES. Hair can take a lot of abuse, but hydral fatigue will certainly set in if you wash it every day..and worse, more than once a day, without putting something back in the hair to restore the oil lost from shampooing. To say Nothing about the mechanical damage from shampooing and rinsing!! I rest my case in defense of washing only when necessary. Washing once a week is fine. Maybe twice a week if you have oily hair. But generally speaking, if you can get away with stretching your washes, go for it. Think of all those long haired girls and women in the 19th century. Many of them had hair past waist and they didn't wash it once a week because it didn't need it.

LadyCelestina
September 16th, 2014, 01:38 PM
sarahthegemini,it's not that we WANT daily washing to be damaging.It's that it is damaging.Especially daily shampooing with sulfate shampoos or using baking soda/acv.
The OP doesn't mention that they totally need to wash it that much.

GetMeToWaist
September 16th, 2014, 02:05 PM
sarahthegemini, that came out really quite rude. I would say Madora knows a whole lot more on long haircare than you do. Considering that her hair is at knee.

sarahthegemini
September 16th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Yes, calmyogi. It will end up looking like straw. The "straw" description is from the knowledge of Dr. George Michael world famous "Czar of Long Hair" who knew what he was talking about...from YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WITH ALL HAIR TYPES. Hair can take a lot of abuse, but hydral fatigue will certainly set in if you wash it every day..and worse, more than once a day, without putting something back in the hair to restore the oil lost from shampooing. To say Nothing about the mechanical damage from shampooing and rinsing!! I rest my case in defense of washing only when necessary. Washing once a week is fine. Maybe twice a week if you have oily hair. But generally speaking, if you can get away with stretching your washes, go for it. Think of all those long haired girls and women in the 19th century. Many of them had hair past waist and they didn't wash it once a week because it didn't need it.

Dr.Michael was a quack who preached about 'great hair care' so long as it fit in with his ideal.

Secondly, I've said also wash when necessary - but sometimes it's 'necessary' to wash more than once a week. And if you think 'oily hair' can get away with being washed twice a week, you clearly haven't experienced oily hair.

Thirdly, yes stretch washes IF IT WORKS for said person. But it doesn't work for everyone.

sarahthegemini
September 16th, 2014, 02:11 PM
sarahthegemini, that came out really quite rude. I would say Madora knows a whole lot more on long haircare than you do.

And you came to that conclusion how? It isn't about who knows best. Madora constantly tells her opinion as though it is fact, and it simply isn't. Perhaps she is speaking from experience when saying washing daily causes straw like hair, but that's not an objective fact for everyone's head of hair.

Sarden
September 16th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Hmmmm, I know everyone's entitled to thier opinion and all but not sure that trashing someone else ideas is the way to go. I happen to disagree with some of George Micheals ideas as well (mainly the brushing 100 strokes a day thing). However, I don't think it makes him a quack...

Edited to add - from what I can add, hair care isn't an exact science, nobody knows all the answers for a fact, however that's the point of this, a discussion forum, to share ideas and opinions!

Sarahlabyrinth
September 16th, 2014, 02:13 PM
When I was in my 20s I believed all the hair product hype and decided that if the shampoos and conditioners did such wonderful things for hair, as the advertisements declared, then my hair would become totally fabulous if I washed my hair every day, to get that lovely just-washed feeling. Well, you know what? Biggest mistake ever. My hair very soon looked like straw - and behaved like it, even though I was conditioning with every wash. So I went back to my washing once weekly, the way I had been taught to growing up. Hair went back to being happy again. The constant washing just stripped and dried my hair out to the core....

Also, no rudeness required here, there are polite ways to disagree. When it comes to hair, YMMV.

sarahthegemini
September 16th, 2014, 02:15 PM
sarahthegemini,it's not that we WANT daily washing to be damaging.It's that it is damaging.Especially daily shampooing with sulfate shampoos or using baking soda/acv.
The OP doesn't mention that they totally need to wash it that much.

I understand that daily washing causes damage to some degree, but to flat out say 'if you continue doing this, your hair will be straw' is just a scare tactic to make op think she is destroying her hair.

As I said, I know it causes some damage, but speaking from MY experience, washing daily or every other day hasn't turned it to straw at all. It's still annoyingly silky. So we can only offer advice from experience, not state them as fact.

GetMeToWaist
September 16th, 2014, 02:17 PM
And you came to that conclusion how? It isn't about who knows best. Madora constantly tells her opinion as though it is fact, and it simply isn't. Perhaps she is speaking from experience when saying washing daily causes straw like hair, but that's not an objective fact for everyone's head of hair.

Hair is a FIBRE, like wool. The more you wash it, the more you weaken it and dull it. The more mechanical damage occurs, the more scalp stripping, the more hydral fatigue.

It's SCIENCE. And i'm gonna say this again: Madora has KNEE length hair and has clearly taken a lot of time and effort into growing her mane. You have SL hair. Madora has more experience. Period.

sarahthegemini
September 16th, 2014, 02:20 PM
When I was in my 20s I believed all the hair product hype and decided that if the shampoos and conditioners did such wonderful things for hair, as the advertisements declared, then my hair would become totally fabulous if I washed my hair every day, to get that lovely just-washed feeling. Well, you know what? Biggest mistake ever. My hair very soon looked like straw - and behaved like it, even though I was conditioning with every wash. So I went back to my washing once weekly, the way I had been taught to growing up. Hair went back to being happy again. The constant washing just stripped and dried my hair out to the core....

Also, no rudeness required here, there are polite ways to disagree. When it comes to hair, YMMV.

That's obviously how your hair responds to daily washing, amd that's fine. What I'm saying is, it does not destroy everyone's hair so to state such a fact is just scare-mongering. My hair is absolutely okay with frequently washing. All I'm saying is, let's not jump.down op's throat and tell her she's destroying her hair when we don't know how her hair reacts to being washed so often.

Madora
September 16th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Daily washing will leave your hair like straw because each washing removes the hair's natural oil. Unless you put something back in your hair to replace what the shampooing took out. Dr. George Michael was a world acknowledged expert in long hair care. His methods work...if you're willing to listen. He was not a quack. Such a statement is reprehensible.

sarahthegemini
September 16th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Hair is a FIBRE, like wool. The more you wash it, the more you weaken it and dull it. The more mechanical damage occurs, the more scalp stripping, the more hydral fatigue.

It's SCIENCE. And i'm gonna say this again: Madora has KNEE length hair and has clearly taken a lot of time and effort into growing her mane. You have SL hair. Madora has more experience. Period.

And you assume SL is the longest my hair has ever been? The fact that Madora has knee length hair proves that she knows what works for HER hair. Not everyone's.

arr
September 16th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Is it because it's really oily, or because of the thought that it's not freshly washed, thus it "must" be dirty? I'd go on whether or not it's really oily or not, and try and stretch from there. Even just washing once every other day will be a victory for you, but since I think you've never done that before, you can't know for sure.

I was thinking this too. Sounds like its more of a mental feeling rather than that it is actually greasy or dirty. Every other day is a great place to start, eventually you will mentally get used to it. Maybe spritz with some kind of light leave in or mist to feel refreshed in between? But if your hair really is greasy just wash it. I wash every other day to every third day with sulfate shampoo and use good conditioner and oils and my hair doesn't look or feel like straw. Its growing along very nicely, no breakage or issues.

GetMeToWaist
And you assume SL is the longest my hair has ever been? The fact that Madora has knee length hair proves that she knows what works for HER hair. Not everyone's.

Sure, if you want to wash your hair daily, go ahead. Obviously anyone can do that if they want to, but they will have to accept the damage that comes along with it. There is unavoidable mechanical damage that happens when you wash your hair, and by doing it daily you are creating more and more of it.

sarahthegemini
Daily washing will leave your hair like straw because each washing removes the hair's natural oil. Unless you put something back in your hair to replace what the shampooing took out. Dr. George Michael was a world acknowledged expert in long hair care. His methods work...if you're willing to listen. He was not a quack. Such a statement is reprehensible.

And why are you assuming that after washing, one isn't putting back what they took away? I co-wash so I'm not stripping my hair of everything. Of course I will encounter some water damage, but it's nothing like straw...

Regarding Mr.Michael, we aren't going to agree. I think he's a quack that wanted every woman to obey to his wants. You don't think that. So that's that.

sarahthegemini
September 16th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Sure, if you want to wash your hair daily, go ahead. Obviously anyone can do that if they want to, but they will have to accept the damage that comes along with it. There is unavoidable mechanical damage that happens when you wash your hair, and by doing it daily you are creating more and more of it.

I've not denied that it causes damage to some degree, I'm saying that washing daily does not inevitable turn hair to straw. That isn't a fact.

GetMeToWaist
September 16th, 2014, 02:28 PM
I've not denied that it causes damage to some degree, I'm saying that washing daily does not inevitable turn hair to straw. That isn't a fact.

Hydral fatigue has been scientifically proven to give hair a strawlike feel and condition over time.

sarahthegemini
September 16th, 2014, 02:31 PM

Also, saying it again? That's the first time you have said that. You edited your other post after I responded...

sarahthegemini
September 16th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Hydral fatigue has been scientifically proven to give hair a strawlike feel and condition over time.

So conditioning and whatnot has no effect on that? Funny, my hair has only ever been straw like when I was blow drying and flat ironing...

GetMeToWaist
September 16th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Also, saying it again? That's the first time you have said that. You edited your other post after I responded...

I edited it to ADD that Madora knows a lot about long haircare. Long haircare--> knee length, that is what i was referrin to.

martyna_22
September 16th, 2014, 02:35 PM
For me.. my hair turns straw-like when I wash it less, at least my ends. I have one of these ridiculously oily and irritable scalps, so every other day is as long as I can go with washes, on day 3 not only is my scalp sore, but it looks disgusting and I have dandruff. My ends, on the other hand, look awesome on wash day, or at most the day after, but every next day is worse and worse.
What also turns my hair to straw is lack of protein. And build-up. And moisture. So, I'd say do whatever seems to work!

GetMeToWaist
September 16th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Double post

GetMeToWaist
September 16th, 2014, 02:37 PM
So conditioning and whatnot has no effect on that? Funny, my hair has only ever been straw like when I was blow drying and flat ironing...

No, when the hair cuticle is swelled from water every day with no break, there is actually a higher probability of over conditioning. Either way the hair will not be healthy as it is constantly getting 'stressed'.
Think of it rationally: the hair needs a break.

Zesty
September 16th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Sarahthegemini:

I normally don't get involved with this sort of thing... But Madora is just saying what works for her hair. The YMMV is generally implied here on the LHC, because everyone is pretty much offering what works for them. Just because she's not couching it with "this works for me, might not for you" doesn't mean that she's jumping down anyone's throat. It's just her style of giving advice. Granted, to someone new to the LHC (OP appears to be, but I won't make assumptions), that could be confusing/intimidating. But I think Madora's advice has helped a lot of people, just as your advice is potentially useful.

It's valid for you to be frustrated with that style of advice-giving, and it's actually GOOD to have someone mention that daily washing isn't always evil for everyone's hair and scalp (because that's often lost in the LHC "conventional wisdom"), but there's no need to attack her or GM. I think the fact that your input IS useful is being lost here. :shrug:

arr
September 16th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Another factor is what length is the OP aiming for? Perhaps it makes more of a difference if one is aiming for the extreme lengths such as beyond TBL. I just noticed on another thread that a member here, Nobeltonya, is a daily washer and has TBL beautiful hair. Also, most people who shampoo frequently are concentrating the suds near the scalp and not necessarily the length which is what i do, and i think that helps also.

Zesty
September 16th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Another factor is what length is the OP aiming for? Perhaps it makes more of a difference if one is aiming for the extreme lengths such as beyond TBL. I just noticed on another thread that a member here, Nobeltonya, is a daily washer and has TBL beautiful hair. Also, most people who shampoo frequently are concentrating the suds near the scalp and not necessarily the length which is what i do, and i think that helps also.
I believe Cinnamon Hair also CO washes every day, and her hair is at knee last I knew.

lapushka
September 16th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Dr.Michael was a quack who preached about 'great hair care' so long as it fit in with his ideal.

Secondly, I've said also wash when necessary - but sometimes it's 'necessary' to wash more than once a week. And if you think 'oily hair' can get away with being washed twice a week, you clearly haven't experienced oily hair.

Thirdly, yes stretch washes IF IT WORKS for said person. But it doesn't work for everyone.

Ah the folly of youth. :rolleyes: - for the record I have oily hair and my hair is washed once a week, so yes, it is possible.

martyna_22
September 16th, 2014, 02:45 PM
I believe Cinnamon Hair also CO washes every day, and her hair is at knee last I knew.

You read my mind :) I already typed it myself, but you beat me to it. Her hair is so gorgeous I want to cry, lol :D
Anyway, we don't have the very same hair type, not one thing works for everyone. I know a girl with really tight curls who brushes and her hair's lovely anyway. It's all about finding the right routine!

Sarden
September 16th, 2014, 02:46 PM

Goodness, her hair must be wet more than it's dry! Can you imagine washing knee length hair every day?!?

Zesty
September 16th, 2014, 02:48 PM
You read my mind :) I already typed it myself, but you beat me to it. Her hair is so gorgeous I want to cry, lol :D
Anyway, we don't have the very same hair type, not one thing works for everyone. I know a girl with really tight curls who brushes and her hair's lovely anyway. It's all about finding the right routine!
I know, it makes me want to cry as well! Especially since we have similar hair types, I think, so I'm like... why isn't mine like that?! Haha.

Goodness, her hair must be wet more than it's dry! Can you imagine washing knee length hair every day?!?
She says on her website that it is often damp when she washes it the next day. She says she attributes the health of her ends to damp bunning. (Can you tell I have a hair crush on her? :lol: Her site was a big factor in me joining the LHC.)

sarahthegemini
September 16th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Sarahthegemini:

I normally don't get involved with this sort of thing... But Madora is just saying what works for her hair. The YMMV is generally implied here on the LHC, because everyone is pretty much offering what works for them. Just because she's not couching it with "this works for me, might not for you" doesn't mean that she's jumping down anyone's throat. It's just her style of giving advice. Granted, to someone new to the LHC (OP appears to be, but I won't make assumptions), that could be confusing/intimidating. But I think Madora's advice has helped a lot of people, just as your advice is potentially useful.

It's valid for you to be frustrated with that style of advice-giving, and it's actually GOOD to have someone mention that daily washing isn't always evil for everyone's hair and scalp (because that's often lost in the LHC "conventional wisdom"), but there's no need to attack her or GM. I think the fact that your input IS useful is being lost here. :shrug:

I understand that she is stating what works for her, but it comes across as though it is fact and there is no leeway. Not just on this thread, there's been many others.

I'm not interested in an argument, all I've tried to do is get across that if something doesn't work for one person, it doesn't mean it is the devil of hair care and should be preached which is what I felt has been happening. I shouldn't have stated my points in such a heated manner, but it has been grinding my gears for a long time. So I sort of snapped.

Anyway, I appreciate your input and the fact you have acted as a peace keeper, thank you :flowers:

Katlette
September 16th, 2014, 03:00 PM
I think sarahthegemini's original point is valid - if OP's hair is genuinely oily, there shouldn't be pressure to stretch washes just because. Hydral fatigue may damage your hair a bit, but if it's unpresentably itchy and oily, maybe that's a reasonable price to pay? Particularly for shorter long lengths (I'm thinking about my own WL), I find it difficult to believe that daily (or every other day) washes would be that damaging. I know washing twice a week (or less!) would never work for me. Out of laziness I go around trying to fool people into thinking my greasy hair is in an intentional wetlook bun and can then get away with fewer washes, but if I had to look neat and smart every day it would be impossible.

OP's situation does, however, sound like it's more a psychological problem than hair genuinely getting oily in less than a day. Maybe the new job will help. You can just think that it'll be up under a hair net and cap anyway and try to ignore the oily feeling. With any luck you can slowly stretch your washes. I find dry shampoo makes it feel nastier and gunkier, but YMMV. French braids and ballerina-style buns are good ways of covering up oiliness and may work with your hair net too.

Good luck!

sarahthegemini
September 16th, 2014, 03:12 PM
I
Ah the folly of youth. :rolleyes: - for the record I have oily hair and my hair is washed once a week, so yes, it is possible.

Oh give over, don't patronise me. For you, it's possible. But it isn't for everyone. When I was trying to wash my hair twice a week I was miserable because my hair was so oily, itchy and horrible. And I stuck with it for 8 months. And y'know what? There was NO improvement. It isn't possible for me, and again, it isn't possible for EVERYONE. Unless we're expected to look greasy for the majority of time. In which case, stretch to your hearts content but I'd rather not look like an oil slick. There is no 'one rule suits all'

Eta: I will type it again, as clearly some of you are not seeing it or deliberately ignoring it...

Stretching washes can be great, IF IT ACTUALLY WORKS. But it doesn't work for EVERYONE. Some people have to wash frequently and they do not have straw hair - some damage yes, but not straw hair. Why is that such a difficult concept to grasp? I swear LHC brainwashed so many people into thinking treating their hair how it wants to be treated is a bloody crime.

lapushka
September 16th, 2014, 03:16 PM
I

Oh give over, don't patronise me. For you, it's possible. But it isn't for everyone. When I was trying to wash my hair twice a week I was miserable because my hair was so oily, itchy and horrible. And I stuck with it for 8 months. And y'know what? There was NO improvement. It isn't possible for me, and again, it isn't possible for EVERYONE. Unless we're expected to look greasy for the majority of time. In which case, stretch to your hearts content but I'd rather not look like an oil slick.

We shouldn't be patronizing, but you can "bully" Madora, and everyone else you please? Come on! Of course Madora was just giving personal advice, we all are. And *nobody* ever said that you shouldn't be a daily washer, that it was bad. I believe the OP asked about stretching washes in the first place, and that makes it a done deal.

sarahthegemini
September 16th, 2014, 03:25 PM
We shouldn't be patronizing, but you can "bully" Madora, and everyone else you please? Come on! Of course Madora was just giving personal advice, we all are. And *nobody* ever said that you shouldn't be a daily washer, that it was bad. I believe the OP asked about stretching washes in the first place, and that makes it a done deal.

Stating what works for your own hair=fine. Stating it as a fact that everyone must obey if they want nice hair=not ok. There's a difference. There's also a difference between calling someone out and bullying them.

I totally forgot that on here you can't call.someone out without being accused of bullying...LHC really has it's downsides.

And if you think that 'no one said you shouldn't be a daily washer and that it was bad' perhaps.you should re-read Madora's posts.

lapushka
September 16th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Stating what works for your own hair=fine. Stating it as a fact that everyone must obey if they want nice hair=not ok. There's a difference. There's also a difference between calling someone out and bullying them.

I totally forgot that on here you can't call.someone out without being accused of bullying...LHC really has it's downsides.

And if you think that 'no one said you shouldn't be a daily washer and that it was bad' perhaps.you should re-read Madora's posts.

There's ways to phrase certain things, that's all I know. And ways not to "call someone out". Your tone said it all. That's why this upsets me so much.

sarahthegemini
September 16th, 2014, 03:46 PM
There's ways to phrase certain things, that's all I know. And ways not to "call someone out". Your tone said it all. That's why this upsets me so much.

Yes, there are ways to.phrase certain things, hence my original post to Madora. That is, after all.what the whole issue is about.
I don't know why you've involved yourself tbh, it seems only so you can patronise me. There's ways to express being upset and joining others in patronizing me isn't the way. Does that make you a bully too then?

I have an already acknowledged before (maybe on page 3or 4?) that I made my point in a very heated manner, which I shouldn't have but despite that, my point still stands which seems to have been massively overlooked. Hence why I have been getting irate about it. And I will stand up for myself when being on the receiving end of bitter patronizing comments.

This has gotten way out of hand. Considering my points were TO Madora and she's not even in this thread anymore. You can respond if you wish but I won't be participating in this thread. I've made my point.

lapushka
September 16th, 2014, 03:55 PM
If one member is attacked by rudeness, then an entire community should respond, that's how I see it. You made this my business by posting publicly (not via PM) but publicly about this matter.

Yes, you made your point and left a whole trainwreck behind. I don't see how I was patronizing - at all. If so, then I apologize. I have yet to see you apologize. :rolleyes: Anyway, that's the last of the words I get "dirty" on this.

We have yet to hear from Madora who these comments were directed against in the first place!

Nadine <3
September 16th, 2014, 04:12 PM
I made a dry shampoo out of half cocoa powder and half ground oatmeal (finely ground and then sifted through to remove any big lumps!) I add a few drops of peppermint oil and it smells like a peppermint patty! I usually apply it in my oily bits at night and let it sit in my hair over night. In the morning I comb through and add a bit more if needed. It makes my hair look presentable and smell nice! Not only that, but the peppermint gives my scalp a nice little tingly feeling. Other than that I wear my hair up and try not to touch it to much. In the summer I wash every other day stretching if I can, but in the winter I stretch to every 3-4 days and sometimes go a full 5 days. I'll admit, sometimes my hair doesn't feel so hot...those are the days I put it up in a sock bun and tie a bandanna around my head.

Also, maybe this is weird, or something that I was just late in catching onto but I started washing my pillow cases very frequently (every 2 days) with a hypoallergenic, very basic laundry soap and no softener to try and help with the acne on my cheeks. It did nothing for my acne, but my hair seems to be staying cleaner, longer.

blace
September 16th, 2014, 04:43 PM
I made a dry shampoo out of half cocoa powder and half ground oatmeal (finely ground and then sifted through to remove any big lumps!) I add a few drops of peppermint oil and it smells like a peppermint patty!

This sounds heavenly! What a great idea.

Madora
September 16th, 2014, 04:57 PM
First of all, I apologize if my posts have been too "my way or the highway". That was not my intent. What I say in my posts are based on two things: what I learned from Dr. George Michael, both in his book AND speaking with him. My other experience is based on 40 years plus of handling my hair. Many of my practices are based on common sense...i.e. be gentle, don't be harsh on your hair, use hair friendly things.

The washing every day works for SOME people because of what they use..or do (pre condition, pre oil, etc.) By doing this, they CAN get away with having healthy hair and not straw by washing every day.

Mr. Michael's book, "The Secrets for Beautiful Hair" was written in 1981, when there were far less choices of shampoo to choose from. Not much was known about the ingredients. Many shoppers couldn't care less. They used what their parents or friends used. Some of it was fine...other times it was not. Washing every day with a harsh shampoo is an open invitation to disaster...UNLESS you put back what you washed out..either by some method of oiling or conditioning it after the shampoo. Many did not understand this concept.

I hope this helps. Thank you.

Esperada
September 16th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Funnily enough I have never thought about washing my pillow cases more often than the rest of my bedding which is done weekly, maybe I should give it a go?
Though I have found I can't use silk or satiln pillow cases as I wake uo the next day and my head is like an oil slick, no idea why but silk and satin just don't seem to agree with my head.

Esperada
September 16th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Double post sorry!

calmyogi
September 16th, 2014, 11:58 PM
Yes, calmyogi. It will end up looking like straw. The "straw" description is from the knowledge of Dr. George Michael, world famous "Czar of Long Hair" who knew what he was talking about...from YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WITH ALL HAIR TYPES. Hair can take a lot of abuse, but hydral fatigue will certainly set in if you wash it every day..and worse, more than once a day, without putting something back in the hair to restore the oil lost from shampooing. To say Nothing about the mechanical damage from shampooing and rinsing!! I rest my case in defense of washing only when necessary. Washing once a week is fine. Maybe twice a week if you have oily hair. But generally speaking, if you can get away with stretching your washes, go for it. Think of all those long haired girls and women in the 19th century. Many of them had hair past waist and they didn't wash it once a week because it didn't need it.

I was defending what you wrote Madora, not saying I didn't agree. I agree.

calmyogi
September 17th, 2014, 12:15 AM
For me.. my hair turns straw-like when I wash it less, at least my ends. I have one of these ridiculously oily and irritable scalps, so every other day is as long as I can go with washes, on day 3 not only is my scalp sore, but it looks disgusting and I have dandruff. My ends, on the other hand, look awesome on wash day, or at most the day after, but every next day is worse and worse.
What also turns my hair to straw is lack of protein. And build-up. And moisture. So, I'd say do whatever seems to work!

I can relate martyna_22. I feel like if I go more than every other day my scalp gets irritable and I get dandruff and it itches and my ends get all dry. I have tried switching things up afew times with different products trying to stretch washes because I want to not wash as much, but ultimately I end up with another round of dandruff that I have to use dandruff shampoo to cure then I can go back to my sulfate free natural shampoo. The only thing that actually made my scalp stop itching and stop producing dandruff was no poo'ing. One day the itch just stopped. I started shampooing agian though because I had to oil my ends of my hair with coconut oil and my hair looked wet all the time. I guess I also just didn't have the patience to wait it out until it balanced completely as well. I have had success with using the biolage anti dandruff shampoo and being able to go three to four days between washes instead. I think I'm going to try this again, but water rinse inbetween washes to see if I can stretch the days to once a week.

calmyogi
September 17th, 2014, 12:21 AM

I have seen her videos on youtube. I think she does co wash daily.

Johannah
September 17th, 2014, 03:53 AM
To restore the kindness in this thread:

KITTIES

http://fe867b.medialib.glogster.com/media/4c/4c763e9a4d376856db4133029ad1732214ac3fb0de23301dd0 be9f02fd1b0210/work-2987967-2-flat-550x550-075-f-kissing-kittens-1-jpg.jpg

Chalky
September 17th, 2014, 04:02 AM
:rolling: I just spilled my tea all over the screen! Those kitties are adorable :pinktongue:

brickworld13
September 17th, 2014, 07:35 AM
Johannah the kitties were a brilliant idea. I was kind of scared to reply to the thread because of all the animosity.

On topic to the inquiry of the OP. If your scalp can handle stretching washes out a bit, try to stretch them. If it cannot, then don't worry about it. Just use lots of moisturizing things to make up for the frequent use of shampoo. My hair can go almost 2 weeks without a wash occasionally, but usually it gets one every 5 days or so. As I've been treating a dandruff flare up, recently I've been washing every time the flakes come back which can be as early as every 3 days. All of the suggestions provided have been good. Try not to touch it, wash your pillowcase more often, a BBB may help a little bit to get the oils away from your scalp and onto the rest of the hair, and generally just not bothering with your hair so much. I usually put mine up and leave it alone unless it falls out of the style. If your hair is too short to put up, use some scarves to tie it off your face and neck.

Also, please don't let the behavoir of some members in this thread turn you off of LHC. It's usually a very nice place to spend some time online.

Madora
September 17th, 2014, 07:43 AM
I was defending what you wrote Madora, not saying I didn't agree. I agree.

:blossom::blossom: Yes, I know you were, calmyogi, and I thank you.

Madora
September 17th, 2014, 07:46 AM
To restore the kindness in this thread:

KITTIES

http://fe867b.medialib.glogster.com/media/4c/4c763e9a4d376856db4133029ad1732214ac3fb0de23301dd0 be9f02fd1b0210/work-2987967-2-flat-550x550-075-f-kissing-kittens-1-jpg.jpg

Bravisimo, Johannah! What an adorable photo!!!! Thank you!

Jac
September 17th, 2014, 08:50 AM
I started washing my hair every other day a few years ago, and my hair would always look and feel disgusting the second day. It wasn't until I started looking into more natural and gentle ways of taking care of my hair that I started to have a breakthrough. Started using shampoos with no cones, using harsh cleansers like SLS less often, brushing with a BBB every day, helped me get to a point where my second day hair isn't limp, flat, or greasy looking. It still feels heavier than first day hair, and I still dislike the feel of it on those days, but that's the thing: both your hair and you have to get used to stretching washes. It's not that your hair or scalp miraculously don't need to be shampoo'd every day; you also get used to the feeling of your hair with its natural oils, which definitely feels different than freshly shampoo'd hair. I washed my hair every day for most of my life, so I definitely will have a long adjustment period. There are definitely people with scalp issues and medical reasons for having extremely oily hair that need to wash every day, but I think a lot of people just aren't used to the feeling. I found that my scalp was angrier when I washed with SLS shampoos every day, since my skin gets dried out easily by harsh cleansers.

Whoops, sorry if I rambled a bit there XD. Just curious, what kind of dry shampoo did you use? I'd start with something simple, like corn starch, arrowroot powder, cocoa powder, baby powder, etc. I use corn starch with a touch of talc powder mixed in it for scent. It works surprisingly well, much better than the few actual store bought dry shampoos that I tried.

meteor
September 17th, 2014, 09:39 AM
Esperada, have you ever tried scalp-only washes? :) It could be particularly useful for people with long hair, oily scalps and dry/damaged ends.
There are different ways of doing it, usually making a braid or a bun and wrapping it in a plastic cap or two. The thing to remember is to use diluted shampoo for ease of application (dilute in a separate bottle, to prevent product spoilage). It won't clean as thoroughly as a proper wash, but will at least reduce daily stress on hair: less exposure to detergents, less hygral fatigue, less wet manipulation and detangling.
An LHC member LauraLongLocks made this useful video :) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc

lapushka
September 17th, 2014, 09:52 AM
I started washing my hair every other day a few years ago, and my hair would always look and feel disgusting the second day. It wasn't until I started looking into more natural and gentle ways of taking care of my hair that I started to have a breakthrough. Started using shampoos with no cones, using harsh cleansers like SLS less often, brushing with a BBB every day, helped me get to a point where my second day hair isn't limp, flat, or greasy looking. It still feels heavier than first day hair, and I still dislike the feel of it on those days, but that's the thing: both your hair and you have to get used to stretching washes. It's not that your hair or scalp miraculously don't need to be shampoo'd every day; you also get used to the feeling of your hair with its natural oils, which definitely feels different than freshly shampoo'd hair. I washed my hair every day for most of my life, so I definitely will have a long adjustment period. There are definitely people with scalp issues and medical reasons for having extremely oily hair that need to wash every day, but I think a lot of people just aren't used to the feeling. I found that my scalp was angrier when I washed with SLS shampoos every day, since my skin gets dried out easily by harsh cleansers.

True. I need a wash basically 2 to 3 times a week. This has been the case for my entire life, until something medical happened to me (can't elaborate) which didn't allow me to wash my hair for 2 weeks in a row (for months). Suddenly stretching a week was not that bad. I do have oils to contend with half of the week, but it's grown on me. It definitely is a different feeling! Length is also a factor. The longer my hair got, the less it needed a wash. At BSL, I still needed the more frequent washes. This got better when hitting waist, hip. Also, the less manipulation, the better. My hair is basically left to its own devices after a wash, so as not to disturb the waves. No combing, no brushing and it helps hugely.

ravenreed
September 17th, 2014, 10:21 AM
I CO my hair every day in the summer and it is glossy and silky, not straw. I CO every other day the rest of the year. I have the kind of hair that people like to touch, soft and CLEAN. Hydral fatigue has never been an issue, even when my hair got past my finger tips. I don't have to oil it either. Those 19th century ladies also had to deal with hair oils damaging clothing and furniture. Why do you think there were doilies everywhere?!

LadyCelestina
September 17th, 2014, 12:31 PM
:lol :drama

sarahthegemini,I agree that YMMV,just like with anything.Some can get away with hair dye and their hair is still like silk and no splits,some people trash their hair with it.Doesn't mean dye isn't damaging though,and should not be recommended as a healthy hair practice.

Those of you who co-wash daily and are getting bummed up over what madora said,you are actually just sort confirming it,imo :,that is why you likely choose to CO over shampoo,because it's gentler on hair and scalp,no? In the times of that guy they probably didn't even think of co-washing,thus the advice is re:daily shampoo/soap use.

martyna_22
September 17th, 2014, 12:39 PM
^ Yup, exactly :) I use a shampoo that has Magnesium Laureth Sulfate on the 12th position on the list. It has honey, beeswax, oils and a bunch of other other things before it, all natural, so there's not much damage coming from it, I presume :D While my scalp is very choosy and likes only these kinds of shampoos, for others conditioners might be an awesome choice for gentle cleansing.

LadyCelestina
September 17th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Well,I think when inspected under a microscope,co-washing didn't remove all of the natural oils either.Conclusion isn't that your hair isn't clean,but that you don't want to remove all the sebum.

martyna,I'm curius,what shampoo do you use? :)

blace
September 17th, 2014, 01:05 PM

Me too. It sounds lovely.

martyna_22
September 17th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Grandmother's Agafia Recipes, I believe there are at least two lines of shampoos from this Siberian so it may not be available everywhere, though.

ravenreed
September 17th, 2014, 01:24 PM
My hair gets squeaky, fluffy clean with CO. It just isn't as dried out as it gets with SLS. However, I could probably wash my length with SLS shampoos every day if I wanted. The reason I stopped is not that it dried out my hair, but that my scalp dislikes SLS and I never found a SLS free shampoo that was better than CO cleansing.

Well,I think when inspected under a microscope,co-washing didn't remove all of the natural oils either.Conclusion isn't that your hair isn't clean,but that you don't want to remove all the sebum.

Unofficial_Rose
September 17th, 2014, 01:32 PM
I am no hair expert, but here's my experience anyway. I always find my hair looks like it needs a wash by day 3 after washing - however, Bumble and Bumble Pret a Powder allows me to go another day. Might be worth a try for the OP? Like a few others I dislike dry shampoo as by the time I have brushed it out my scalp is all greasy with a horrid grease/powder paste on it.

How I would love to wash once a week. Hair would certainly prefer it, scalp - not so much.

Oh, slightly funny story. I had put Castor oil on my roots as I am hoping it would do the same as it's done for my eyebrows, i.e. regrow lost volume. I was then scratched by my cat and and to go to A&E with horrible oily hair. Love the kitten pics!

tokugawa.miyako
September 17th, 2014, 01:57 PM
I went from washing everyday to washing once a week and I think ultimately the change is something that you (and your scalp) just have to get used to. I have found though that scalp massage (using only fingers, no products) and brushing to distribute the oils throughout the hair help when my scalp feels heavy or itchy. That also keeps the ends from getting dried out, in my experience. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
September 17th, 2014, 02:19 PM
I CO my hair every day in the summer and it is glossy and silky, not straw. I CO every other day the rest of the year. I have the kind of hair that people like to touch, soft and CLEAN. Hydral fatigue has never been an issue, even when my hair got past my finger tips. I don't have to oil it either. Those 19th century ladies also had to deal with hair oils damaging clothing and furniture. Why do you think there were doilies everywhere?!

The fabric pieces draped over the tops of armchairs were called anti-macassars and were to protect them from maccassar oil which was worn in gentlemens' hair to improve the look and give lustre, rather like Brylcream in the recent past, which men would wear. As far as I know women didn't use Maccassar oil (hope I am spelling it correctly).

Timea
September 17th, 2014, 04:04 PM

[whoops sorry sarah got there before me, i didn't see page 9 before replying, so i basically said what she said. now i add some other thought:

it always struck me as interesting the anti-macassars because the men were putting this dark oil on their hair to impress the ladies, right? but it just created hours and hours of work for the ladies to keep the men from ruining the furniture!

ARG
September 17th, 2014, 06:38 PM
TMI Warning!

Just a little input from personal experience, YMMV - back in the day (before my DD was born) I used to be an intense shower/hair washer every day, twice a day if it was "that time of month" (sorry, tmi, I know). I just would feel so gross I felt the need to cleanse myself from my head to my toes extra that week. As I became more aware of natural hair care, I noticed that at times of extreme hormonal fluctuations (ovulation/monthly cycle), my scalp would get noticeably oily faster.

My recommendations for stretching washes (if you feel you should) is water only in between shampoos. It'll give you that cleansing feeling without stripping your natural sebum. When I WO between washes, I also mist my hair with an aloe vera and essential oil mixture (cut with a little coconut oil and distilled water), to give me that scent of clean hair, with the protection of an oil. When you're ready to wash your hair (take it easy, every other day, every two days, etc...) use a gentle cleansing shampoo or even look into Conditioner Only washing.

My biggest piece of advice is to not go into this with a set number (ie: I want to go two weeks without washing my hair!), just try to see how long you can go before your hair gets noticeably oily. Always go with the flow of your scalp, if it itches, figure out whats causing it. My scalp is very tolerant of different kinds of cleansers, but if I stretch washes a day too long, it gets itchy and angry at me, it likes to be clean.

For me, 7-8 days in between washes is perfect, 9-10 my scalp says NO. And its also changes seasonally and hormonally (right now I'm pregnant, so my body isn't producing as much sebum as it does normally). Always go off of what your body is telling you, because no one knows it better than you.

Madora
September 17th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Excellent post, Arg!

meteor
September 17th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Arg, you are absolutely right. :thumbsup: The link between oily skin and menstrual cycle (via hormones) is scientifically proven.
Just like many notice that they tend to break out close to that time of the month, the scalp gets oilier, too.
Sebum production tends to taper off with age as well, also due to hormones. Puberty is obviously a lot "oilier" than menopause, for example.

I think it's easy to over-think wash cycles, but in general, we just need to wash scalp and hair as often as they seem to need it. :)

calmyogi
September 17th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Johannah the kitties were a brilliant idea. I was kind of scared to reply to the thread because of all the animosity.

On topic to the inquiry of the OP. If your scalp can handle stretching washes out a bit, try to stretch them. If it cannot, then don't worry about it. Just use lots of moisturizing things to make up for the frequent use of shampoo. My hair can go almost 2 weeks without a wash occasionally, but usually it gets one every 5 days or so. As I've been treating a dandruff flare up, recently I've been washing every time the flakes come back which can be as early as every 3 days. All of the suggestions provided have been good. Try not to touch it, wash your pillowcase more often, a BBB may help a little bit to get the oils away from your scalp and onto the rest of the hair, and generally just not bothering with your hair so much. I usually put mine up and leave it alone unless it falls out of the style. If your hair is too short to put up, use some scarves to tie it off your face and neck.

Also, please don't let the behavoir of some members in this thread turn you off of LHC. It's usually a very nice place to spend
some time online.

I was one of the first to reply and when I came back a few hours later to read others responses it was like world war three broke out. Lol

ARG
September 17th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Arg, you are absolutely right. :thumbsup: The link between oily skin and menstrual cycle (via hormones) is scientifically proven.
Just like many notice that they tend to break out close to that time of the month, the scalp gets oilier, too.
Sebum production tends to taper off with age as well, also due to hormones. Puberty is obviously a lot "oilier" than menopause, for example.

I think it's easy to over-think wash cycles, but in general, we just need to wash scalp and hair as often as they seem to need it. :)

I had no idea it was actually scientifically proven! Glad to know its not just me.

calmyogi
September 17th, 2014, 07:33 PM
:blossom::blossom: Yes, I know you were, calmyogi, and I thank you.

Ok good lol. I was like "wait! I was agreeing with you!" I noticed a big difference stretching my washes and the health of my hair. I stopped getting split ends as quickly. I made other changes to of course. I am curious though as the hair gets longer does it stop producing as much oil? So many super long hairs I meet wash once a week and barely look oily. I have wondered if it was because they had spent years training the scalp or if the length has something to do with it.

Madora
September 17th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Ok good lol. I was like "wait! I was agreeing with you!" I noticed a big difference stretching my washes and the health of my hair. I stopped getting split ends as quickly. I made other changes to of course. I am curious though as the hair gets longer does it stop producing as much oil? So many super long hairs I meet wash once a week and barely look oily. I have wondered if it was because they had spent years training the scalp or if the length has something to do with it.

Yes, you are right, calmyogi. The longer the hair is, the harder it is to brush the sebum down to the ends of the strands. Many here use oils to help combat dryness. I use a drop or 2 of mineral oil..but fairly infrequently.

I worded that incorrectly! The longer the strand is, the harder it is for the sebum to reach the very oldest part of the strand. Brushing helps..but only to a point.

truepeacenik
September 17th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Well, if you continue on the washing every day (and maybe more) path, you'll end up with hair that looks like hay.

Try and find a gentle shampoo and switch to that. But before you shampoo again, I think it would be a good idea to do a CLARIFYING shampoo FIRST. Followed by a conditioning treatment. NEUTROGENA ANTI-RESIDUE clarifying shampoo has received good reviews here. I use it too (straight, not diluted!)

The clarifying shampoo removes all the gunk on your strands, leaving them naked and haylike. However, the conditioning treatment afterwards restores your hair's softness, etc.

Some other questions: How do you use your fingers when you shampoo? Do you follow each sudsing with a cold rinse (or as cold as you can stand it)?

Since you state that your hair does not look greasy but it feels like it, that sounds like you've got too much stuff on your hair. Too many products can coat the strands, leaving them looking greasy, and worse, lank and limp.

Dry shampoos do not cleanse. They only cover up. If you want clean hair, shampoo it with a hair friendly shampoo (shampoo twice..once to remove the surface dirt, the second time to concentrate on cleansing the scalp). Condition your hair AFTERWARDS. The whole point in shampooing is to CLEAN your hair. Condition is to make it soft and protected.

Now, as for stretching washes....you can't stretch washes unless you are willing to:

1 Keep your hair up and protected. When it is up, there is less chance for it to get dusty/linty
2 Keep everything OFF your hair except your shampoo. If you must oil, use a lightweight oil, such as Mineral Oil. Don't load down your hair with stuff! The more stuff you put on your hair, the more it attracts every - living - particle - in - the - universe.
3 Brush your hair daily with a boar bristle brush (in the bent at the waist position). Brushing helps remove lint and stuff caught in your hair. It stimulates the hair follicles and removes dead hair cells and fallen hairs, and spreads the hair's natural sebum. If you have not brushed REGULARLY, then start out slow...about 10 strokes. As your scalp accustomizes itself to the brushing, add a few more strokes, until you reach your goal. The thing to remember is: be consistent when brushing. Quality, not quantity! Do it every day!
4 Keep your hairbrush and comb squeaky clean! Wash them frequently, preferably every day.
5 Wear something on your head when you go out
6 Ditto, if you're indoors cleaning, or outdoors gardening, etc.

Lots of good advice from an old school longhair, here.
I disagree with one point, so to clarify, know why you are oiling. I have one that sinks in, and one that coats.
Neither is used too high up the strands.
My ends are fragile, because my partner appreciates some hair down time.
I guess he thinks I'm here to decorate his world. But appreciation is nice.

So, think about why you use what you use and go for the most minimal routine, or routines, that work.

Build up is your enemy.

I wash three to four times a week. I use very dilute shampoo, and only on the scalp, allowing the rinse to take care of the ends. A bimonthly clarification (every two) works for me. I don't use gels or leave ins.

I will occasionally condition just the ends if they are particularly crunchy.

Breanna
September 17th, 2014, 08:41 PM
This seems like a good place to ask a question I have about my washing schedule. I don't really have a problem with stretching washes, but I have SD on the back of my neck and it feels very irritated on days that I don't wash my hair. So I wash pretty much every day but I only use shampoo two or three times a week and co-wash on all the other days. My hair usually feels just fine and is very manageable but I'm just now finding out about hygral fatique and doing some reading on it, so will this washing schedule still not be very good for my hair?

ARG
September 17th, 2014, 08:53 PM
I believe Lapushka would have insight in this (if I'm not getting her confused with another member with SD). Also This Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54045), may have some information. I'm not very knowledgeable about SD, but I do know that sometimes its necessary to cleanse the scalp more often with it, and scalp health and care sometimes has to trump all other things.

Breanna
September 18th, 2014, 11:22 AM
ARG, thank you! I'll be reading that thread for most of today (:

ARG
September 18th, 2014, 11:41 AM
You're welcome and good luck! Stretching washes is such a personal thing, because our scalps are so different.

Madora
September 18th, 2014, 01:12 PM
This seems like a good place to ask a question I have about my washing schedule. I don't really have a problem with stretching washes, but I have SD on the back of my neck and it feels very irritated on days that I don't wash my hair. So I wash pretty much every day but I only use shampoo two or three times a week and co-wash on all the other days. My hair usually feels just fine and is very manageable but I'm just now finding out about hygral fatique and doing some reading on it, so will this washing schedule still not be very good for my hair?

Breanna, I know nothing about SD. But since you have it, I think it would be wise for you to cater to it and wash your hair when you wish. You also might try diluting your shampoo and see if that helps (not so hard to rinse out when it is diluted.) Good luck!

lapushka
September 18th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Breanna, I know nothing about SD. But since you have it, I think it would be wise for you to cater to it and wash your hair when you wish. You also might try diluting your shampoo and see if that helps (not so hard to rinse out when it is diluted.) Good luck!

Diluting with SD is not a good idea, FYI. SD needs a good cleanse, and diluting shampoo makes it feeble and not a good cleanse.

Breanna
September 18th, 2014, 03:51 PM

Diluting with SD is not a good idea, FYI. SD needs a good cleanse, and diluting shampoo makes it feeble and not a good cleanse.

One of my shampoos is diluted a little because I found it to be kind of drying, but I alternate it with another shampoo I haven't diluted. This is good to know, and I'm actually trying to just use up the shampoo I diluted and get rid of it, so knowing this I might just start using it to wash my hands or something and only use my undiluted shampoo.
Actually my SD used to be a lot worse and now it's only one little flaky patch that doesn't even itch anymore, I have no idea what's been helping it (maybe the co-washing?) but maybe this means it's almost gone and soon I can start stretching my washes! Thanks a bunch for the help.

calmyogi
September 18th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Since I don't know where else to ask this question I figured this thread would be a good place to start. I have been having troubles with my ends lately. They are tangly, not too dry but tangly. I had my hair trimmed recently and it usually helps the tangles, but this time it didn't help it almost felt like she could of taken more off but there wasn't really a lot of splitting so she didn't think it was necessary. So is this normal as hair grows? (it might not be as bad as i'm imagining it to be, I guess I feel like my hair should feel just as it does by my scalp sometimes) or does anyone think it just needs more moisture? (thats my maybe guess), Or more taken off next time I trim?. It gets these like little knots right at the end and is kinda hard to run my fingers through. My hair is curly, not overly defined ringlets, it can get wavy when I brush it out instead of overly poofy (as it gains more length), the strands are fine but there is texture to them.

Madora
September 18th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Have you tried clarifying your hair with a clarifying shampoo, calmyogi? Be sure to follow the clarifying with a conditioner or a conditioning treatment. I use mineral oil myself. The sticky/grabby hairs might be due to buildup. Clarifying strips everything off your strands, leaving you with a "fresh palette" so to speak.

calmyogi
September 18th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Have you tried clarifying your hair with a clarifying shampoo, calmyogi? Be sure to follow the clarifying with a conditioner or a conditioning treatment. I use mineral oil myself. The sticky/grabby hairs might be due to buildup. Clarifying strips everything off your strands, leaving you with a "fresh palette" so to speak.

I'll try that. I also didn't mention that I did get an ombre a few months ago. It didn't involve bleaching of any sort but coloring with red. I wish I didn't do it now and won't be dying anymore from here on out. I just wanted a little change :). I don't know if that makes a difference at all.

meteor
September 18th, 2014, 09:24 PM
I'll try that. I also didn't mention that I did get an ombre a few months ago. It didn't involve bleaching of any sort but coloring with red. I wish I didn't do it now and won't be dying anymore from here on out. I just wanted a little change :). I don't know if that makes a difference at all.

Yes, it makes a difference. What kind of dye did you use? Most dyes are damaging, so the ombred ends need somewhat different (more intense) conditioning. Try to focus shampoo on scalp and condition your ombred ends particularly thoroughly.
I recommend checking out this article on penetrating conditioning ingredients for virgin vs. damaged hair: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/10/deep-conditioning-what-ingredients-in.html
My ends are damaged by bleach highlights and, for sure, they feel different. What helps me the most are oils (pre-poo and leave-in) and hydrolyzed proteins. Silicone serums help with slip too, but I try to use them very rarely to avoid build-up.
Even without chemical damage, ends tend to be more porous due to pure wear and tear, but with dye damage, the porosity becomes even more of an issue.
Managing hair elasticity and porosity: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/03/managing-elasticity-and-porosity-in-hair.html

calmyogi
September 20th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Yes, it makes a difference. What kind of dye did you use? Most dyes are damaging, so the ombred ends need somewhat different (more intense) conditioning. Try to focus shampoo on scalp and condition your ombred ends particularly thoroughly.
I recommend checking out this article on penetrating conditioning ingredients for virgin vs. damaged hair: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/10/deep-conditioning-what-ingredients-in.html
My ends are damaged by bleach highlights and, for sure, they feel different. What helps me the most are oils (pre-poo and leave-in) and hydrolyzed proteins. Silicone serums help with slip too, but I try to use them very rarely to avoid build-up.
Even without chemical damage, ends tend to be more porous due to pure wear and tear, but with dye damage, the porosity becomes even more of an issue.
Managing hair elasticity and porosity: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/03/managing-elasticity-and-porosity-in-hair.html

Well I'm pretty positive my hair isn't "damaged". I went to a salon to have it done and had absolutely no color before I had it done only one time.

calmyogi
September 20th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Sorry meteor I didn't mean to sound snappy when I responded I just wanted to make the whole situation clearer. I also didn't mention it first because my hair always does this any time I start getting it past my shoulders. My ends get dull and dry ish feeling. I don't color my hair either. This was the only time I have done it. And, I think that's all I left out lol.

meteor
September 21st, 2014, 10:58 AM
No worries, calmyogi! :flower: I just wanted to know what kind of dye that was, because most dyes are at least somewhat damaging, unless it's henna, indigo, or some deposit-only dyes (that usually fade).
But if you don't know what dye it was, you can ask your colorist what he/she used on your hair, just to help you with finding a good routine.
Damage can happen with one application, and it doesn't have to be visible at all, hair can actually look and feel nicer even! - it just usually likes more intense care, including hydrolyzed proteins, oils, ceramides, panthenol, silicones...

It's important to avoid all mechanical, chemical, and heat damage if you want to achieve better length retention.

I really recommend putting hair up and protecting your ends as much as possible. Hair ends are always old so they have more damage, wear and tear accumulated there, so keep those ends oiled if they are dry.

I'd also recommend sleeping on silk satin (or any smooth materials). You don't have to buy a sleep cap or a pillowcase, you can just use a silk scarf or put a silk blouse over your pillow. I know it sounds fussy, but it makes such a huge difference helping keep hair cuticle intact overnight and not absorbing natural oils too much. Sleeping on silk is good practice for skin, too. Just try it once and see if it works for you.

Also, I see you mentioned that your hair is curly and fine with texture, but you brush it... Have you tried not using the brush for a while? It's just that brushes can be harsh on curly, tangle-prone hair... If you do want to keep using a brush, make sure your hair is already detangled and not wet, the brush is high quality, no snags at all and that the bristles are kind of wide-spaced. I would highly recommend using your fingers or a wide-tooth seamless comb for detangling and not brushing unless your hair is oiled and it's part of your scalp massage routine.

You might want to check out the Curly Girl Method by Lorraine Massey, at least the conditioner-only washes and the leave-ins part of her method.
Good luck! And happy growing! :D

lapushka
September 21st, 2014, 01:04 PM
Also, I see you mentioned that your hair is curly and fine with texture, but you brush it... Have you tried not using the brush for a while? It's just that brushes can be harsh on curly, tangle-prone hair... If you do want to keep using a brush, make sure your hair is already detangled and not wet, the brush is high quality, no snags at all and that the bristles are kind of wide-spaced. I would highly recommend using your fingers or a wide-tooth seamless comb for detangling and not brushing unless your hair is oiled and it's part of your scalp massage routine.

You might want to check out the Curly Girl Method by Lorraine Massey, at least the conditioner-only washes and the leave-ins part of her method.

If you want to see what it's about, there's a page online summarizing the method (I still recommend getting the book, though):
http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

calmyogi
October 13th, 2014, 04:24 PM
No worries, calmyogi! :flower: I just wanted to know what kind of dye that was, because most dyes are at least somewhat damaging, unless it's henna, indigo, or some deposit-only dyes (that usually fade).
But if you don't know what dye it was, you can ask your colorist what he/she used on your hair, just to help you with finding a good routine.
Damage can happen with one application, and it doesn't have to be visible at all, hair can actually look and feel nicer even! - it just usually likes more intense care, including hydrolyzed proteins, oils, ceramides, panthenol, silicones...

It's important to avoid all mechanical, chemical, and heat damage if you want to achieve better length retention.

I really recommend putting hair up and protecting your ends as much as possible. Hair ends are always old so they have more damage, wear and tear accumulated there, so keep those ends oiled if they are dry.

I'd also recommend sleeping on silk satin (or any smooth materials). You don't have to buy a sleep cap or a pillowcase, you can just use a silk scarf or put a silk blouse over your pillow. I know it sounds fussy, but it makes such a huge difference helping keep hair cuticle intact overnight and not absorbing natural oils too much. Sleeping on silk is good practice for skin, too. Just try it once and see if it works for you.

Thank you! I actually tried co washing on e and the conditioner I used made my scalp it h. My hair was clean but scalp was itchy so I was turned off. Now Fast foward to a few nights ago and I'm actually liking the co washing since I tried one of those very light cheap brands now, white rain. So ya I do brush only when my hair is dry though unless I use my wet brush. I'll try using a comb instead and see if that makes much of a difference. My hair only really got healthier after using the wet brush, but maybe now it's not needed since my overall routine is better. I use a widu wood paddle brush. My problem with my curls is I don't really like the form they take when they dry, especially after I use any type of brushing utensil brush, wide comb, etc. my hair just kinda ends up flat on top and has flyaway fuzzy curls on the bottom. Maybe the right prodct to define the curls? I used a really nice shampoo once that made me look almost like Shirley temple, but now that isn't very economical for me.

calmyogi
October 13th, 2014, 04:29 PM
I'm going to see how the co washing works for the shape of my curls over time too.