PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to clarify/chelate if done sparingly?

CostaRita
September 16th, 2014, 09:31 AM
I follow the CG method (no cones, no sulfates, etc.) I co-wash instead of using shampoo. BUT, I live in a relatively hard water area (No rust or anything and the water tastes fine to me because I have non-purified well water at home), but my friends from cities think that it's somewhat hard and they filter it for drinking. I'm at college so I wouldn't be able to put a filter on the shower head.

Would it be okay to use a hard water shampoo that has, for example, SLS in it?

By the way, once a week I use DevaCare Low-poo, but I don't know if this stuff is harsh enough to remove minerals.

I've read about some people using a clarifying/chelating shampoo once a month or so......are the sulfates worth it?

Zesty
September 16th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Yes. IMO it's better to bite the bullet and use sulfates once in a while to control build-up. They're not so evil that you can't use them once a month or so.

lapushka
September 16th, 2014, 09:56 AM
I don't see why it's not okay to do once in a while. I would have loved to go full CG, but because of SD I can't, so I had to modify the routine and came up with WCC & LOC to re-soften the hair after the harsh treatment. You could try it, see what you think. The links are in my signature.

Larki
September 16th, 2014, 10:40 AM
A chelating shampoo doesn't have to have SLS in it! I co-wash and every two weeks I use Malibu C's hard water shampoo, and it's sulfate-free! Works very well, but is also gentle.

http://www.malibuc.com/products/cn/2110/Malibu-C-Hard-Water-Wellness-Shampoo

ravenreed
September 16th, 2014, 11:04 AM
My cleansing method is CO. I clarify before and after I dye, which is about every 4 - 6 weeks. I shampoo with an SLS shampoo a bit more often, basically any time my hair feels odd or more tangly than usual. Instead of clarifying, have you considered a vinegar rinse? I use ACV after every cleansing and it does wonders for my hair and scalp in spite of the incredibly hard water where I live.

jeanniet
September 16th, 2014, 11:23 AM
You should clarify and/or chelate as you feel it's needed, but everyone's hair is different so don't feel you have to follow a set schedule. I have hard well water, but since I started CO washing I need to clarify or chelate much less often. In fact, I'm fairly certain I could get away with less than once a year. So see what works best for you, and make sure you follow with a good conditioning afterward.

Johannah
September 16th, 2014, 11:48 AM
If you notice you need to clarify/chelate, go for it. There's nothing wrong with using SLS once in a while when you need it. But like jeanniet said, you do not have to follow a schedule. Just use it when you notice your hair needs it.

Anje
September 16th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Why wouldn't it be OK? If your hair needs the gunk cleaned off, it would be ideal! It's not like there are any many absolutes in haircare, like "SLS is always evil". (Heck, even stuff like hydrochloric acid is OK as an ingredient if it's being used to adjust pH to a reasonable level.)

sarahthegemini
September 16th, 2014, 03:33 PM
If it needs it, it needs it! Go by what your hair wants
You could try acv rinses to prevent hard water build up which may minimise the need to chelate regularly but as I said, if your hair needs it, then it's better to listen to it! :D