PDA

View Full Version : Thinning from mechanical damage???

vicvic
September 16th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Help! My hair has thinned quite a bit, and I'm only in my early twenties!!

The culprit seems to be mechanical damage, as certain areas are thinner than others - the top bang portion and the right side of my head are both spots where it's especially thin and scalpy, and I used to back comb those areas. If I part my hair on both sides and hold up the top, the right side is significantly less poofy than the left, by at least a third. My whole head is somewhat scalpy, and I have a relatively wide part; my ponytail circumference is only 2.5 inches. I know for some of you that's nothing to be sad about, but I can remember the last time I had hair this length, and I'm almost positive there was a lot more of it. :(

I can can fluff up my hair and make it look like more hair than it is, but I would really like to know if you guys have any tips for regrowing hair that fell out or thinned or whatever because of mechanical damage.

Is is this something that will correct itself on its own now that I'm properly caring for my hair, or do I need to be more proactive?

brickworld13
September 16th, 2014, 09:13 AM
It should work itself out if you are being gentle and have stopped the damaging practices. It won't recover overnight. Just be patient. It takes a while.

ravenreed
September 16th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I can't see how back combing would make your hair thin so much that your scalp shows unless you were repeatedly pulling hair out at the root. I would suggest seeing a doctor to make sure something medical isn't going on.