PDA

View Full Version : how do i know if i am losing an unusual amount of hair

Chocowalnut
September 15th, 2014, 08:02 PM
My hair isn't that long and it's very thin, so for awhile it seems like I am always pulling hair out when in the shower and such. I know it's normal but it just seems like a lot and I feel like I don't have as much hair as I used to, maybe it's just subconcious Idk. What's a normal amount of hair to come out when you wash your hair every day?

Madora
September 15th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Generally speaking 50 to 100 shed hairs a day is normal.

A lot depends on how you shampoo..ie how gentle you are moving your hair about and how gentle you are rinsing it out.

Also, if you don't thoroughly brush or comb your hair BEFORE you get it wet, you might be finding more hair in your shower than anticipated. That is because the hairs that have fallen out get trapped in with the hairs that are still attached. Brushing or combing before wetting the hair gets rid of those fallen hairs and so you see less of them in your shower strainer.

If you're really concerned about hair loss, try this:

Take 30 envelopes and mark the date of each day in the corner.
Each day, pick up all your fallen hairs and count them, put them in the envelope and also write on the envelope the number you counted.

At the end of one month, view your results. If you don't see a wide number fluctuation, then you're good to go.

Be sure you are getting enough protein (eating it, I mean). Anemia can cause major hair loss (been there!). Good luck!

jacqueline101
September 15th, 2014, 08:41 PM
I agree with madora. I also thought I was shedding a lot but I never had any thinning spots or less hair. I would say if you're losing a lot of hair your hair would get thinner and you would have balding areas.

LongCurlyTress
September 15th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Generally speaking 50 to 100 shed hairs a day is normal.

A lot depends on how you shampoo..ie how gentle you are moving your hair about and how gentle you are rinsing it out.

Also, if you don't thoroughly brush or comb your hair BEFORE you get it wet, you might be finding more hair in your shower than anticipated. That is because the hairs that have fallen out get trapped in with the hairs that are still attached. Brushing or combing before wetting the hair gets rid of those fallen hairs and so you see less of them in your shower strainer.

If you're really concerned about hair loss, try this:

Take 30 envelopes and mark the date of each day in the corner.
Each day, pick up all your fallen hairs and count them, put them in the envelope and also write on the envelope the number you counted.

At the end of one month, view your results. If you don't see a wide number fluctuation, then you're good to go.

Be sure you are getting enough protein (eating it, I mean). Anemia can cause major hair loss (been there!). Good luck!

I always love your fantastic ideas and advice Madora!! Thanks for posting this!! :applause

Madora
September 15th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Oh, all the credit goes to Dr. Michael. I read about the envelope method in his book!:D

Chocowalnut
September 15th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Thanks, I usually do brush before I wash my hair and it does help. It also has been seeming like my part in the middle of my head is thinning a little, but idk..

Madora
September 15th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Thanks, I usually do brush before I wash my hair and it does help. It also has been seeming like my part in the middle of my head is thinning a little, but idk..

Would it be possible for you to forgo the center part? Or part it on the right side?

HumanBean
September 15th, 2014, 10:20 PM
I agree with just start counting them. I had a big shed a couple years ago, usually 300+ a day and sometimes over 500. I was able to graph it all and start to see when the shed was slowing down, and it helped a lot just to know.

Chocowalnut
September 15th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Would it be possible for you to forgo the center part? Or part it on the right side?

Yes I can part on the sides but it annoys me sometimes because the part naturally falls somewhere in the middle and whenever I change that it makes me kinda ocd annoyed haha

AmyBeth
September 16th, 2014, 01:43 AM
I did the daily shed count when I was concerned about losing too much hair. It really helped to reassure myself that all was normal. It's good to have a baseline count, so that if you really do start shedding abnormally, you'll know it for sure, and be able to take steps to rectify the situation.