PDA

View Full Version : Worrying hair scrunchie addiction!

grinlord
September 15th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Well perhaps an addiction to scrunchies is not worrying here!

Except I'm male.

I just find scrunchies, especially satin, velvet, and / or bright colours really beautiful, even more when offset on beautiful shiny hair.

So I just keep buying them. Anyone else?

spidermom
September 15th, 2014, 12:11 PM
I only have 3 for nighttime use. Otherwise I use bobby pins, forks, or sticks, sometimes a claw-clip.

skeletonous
September 15th, 2014, 12:15 PM
I adore scrunchies too :crush: especially ones with interesting prints. You can find a lot of those on Etsy and Ebay! They make more manly ones too lol. :D

jacqueline101
September 15th, 2014, 01:15 PM
I have a scrunchi collection. The strange thing is I have tons and wear one all the time. I need to get rid of a few of them.

Kelli Kat
September 15th, 2014, 03:09 PM
I have a ton of scrunchies. I love them. I like to wear them around the house instead of stick or fork or etc, which I only seem wear when I go out.

lapushka
September 15th, 2014, 03:38 PM
I have all of mine from back in the eighties. Never got rid of one of them. :D :D :D

grinlord
September 15th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I have all of mine from back in the eighties. Never got rid of one of them. :D :D :D

Some of mine date back to school in the 90's. Worn out though. Perhaps I should learn to sew new elastic into them. :whistle: (not obsessive at all!)

schnibbles
September 15th, 2014, 05:39 PM
I love me a scrunchie! (channeling my inner Kimmie Gibbler)
I've been trying to resist buying these (https://www.etsy.com/listing/193284027/sale-pure-silk-hair-scrunchies-set-of-3?ref=favs_view_3).. I really want them :o but what colors? All of her colors are beautiful, can't choose..

Kitten1030
September 15th, 2014, 07:10 PM
Ooo oh, those are pretty schnibbles. I too love a good scrunchie! All of mine are beaters I just wear around the house or in damp hair. They give me the best bun waves. Maybe I should invest in some pretty ones.

Adiro
September 15th, 2014, 11:31 PM
I have a ton ( dollar store stuff) and never had a "fine" scrunchie. but I do try to choose the seamless ones, which I believe to be fairly safe and non damaging. I wear them mostly at night now, but before joining this forum they were the ONLY hair toys I used to have ( plus one hair claw clip for bath use)
I still dont have a ton of hair toys yet, but after all the crazy visa spending I did recently, I am waiting for a few packages :)

Ingrid
September 15th, 2014, 11:44 PM
I think silk scrunchies are great. I have a cobalt blue scrunchie and a dark silver/smokey gray coloured one. I don't care if people say scrunchies are fashion-police-worthy :P

sapphire-o
September 16th, 2014, 01:58 AM
I only use velvet scrunchies at home. Other fabric don't last a minute before they start to slide down. Can you guys actually keep silk or satin scrunchies in your hair for more than a few minutes? They wouldn't be of any use to me. :)

Rosetta
September 16th, 2014, 02:13 AM
I only use velvet scrunchies at home. Other fabric don't last a minute before they start to slide down. Can you guys actually keep silk or satin scrunchies in your hair for more than a few minutes? They wouldn't be of any use to me. :)
Depends how you wear them, in a ponytail they might slide down a bit, but not in a bun, for example :)

Way more miraculous to me is that any of you manage to keep hair sticks or forks in your hair for more than a few minutes (or seconds)... ;)

grinlord
September 16th, 2014, 02:19 AM
I love me a scrunchie! (channeling my inner Kimmie Gibbler)
I've been trying to resist buying these (https://www.etsy.com/listing/193284027/sale-pure-silk-hair-scrunchies-set-of-3?ref=favs_view_3).. I really want them :o but what colors? All of her colors are beautiful, can't choose..

Look what you've done now! Those blues are incredible. One of the Etsy shops I have bought from before seems to have disappeared, but this one is still there: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/silkhairdesigns?page=1

grinlord
September 16th, 2014, 02:22 AM

On the rare occasions that I have straightened my hair, it is far too slippery to keep tied up properly with anything! But my natural hair seems to have more resistance.

Way more miraculous to me is that any of you manage to keep hair sticks or forks in your hair for more than a few minutes (or seconds)...

I agree. Wooden sticks poking me in the head are not a good idea!

schnibbles
September 16th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Look what you've done now! Those blues are incredible. One of the Etsy shops I have bought from before seems to have disappeared, but this one is still there: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/silkhairdesigns?page=1

These (https://www.etsy.com/listing/157534547/silk-hair-scrunchies-3-for-2100?ref=related-0)look really nice, a little more subtle as far as scrunchies go... enabler. :hifive:

grinlord
September 16th, 2014, 07:44 AM
These (https://www.etsy.com/listing/157534547/silk-hair-scrunchies-3-for-2100?ref=related-0)look really nice, a little more subtle as far as scrunchies go... enabler. :hifive:

Indeed. Less scrunchie than a full-on scrunchie!

calmyogi
September 16th, 2014, 12:15 PM
I was just thinking about investing in scrunchies myself! I am curious though how you all bun your hair with them?

grinlord
September 16th, 2014, 12:23 PM
I was just thinking about investing in scrunchies myself! I am curious though how you all bun your hair with them?

Wow, something I can finally help with! Make a ponytail with your hands only (no hair bands). It can be low, high, or indeed anywhere on your head! With one hand, I hold the base of the ponytail, and use the other hand to twist the tail, then carefully use both hands to wrap it around itself. Finally, tie a scrunchie over the whole thing, usually only twice is necessary.

calmyogi
September 16th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Wow, something I can finally help with! Make a ponytail with your hands only (no hair bands). It can be low, high, or indeed anywhere on your head! With one hand, I hold the base of the ponytail, and use the other hand to twist the tail, then carefully use both hands to wrap it around itself. Finally, tie a scrunchie over the whole thing, usually only twice is necessary.
Thank you grinlord! is there a brand or style that holds best with the least amount of damage?

jupiterinleo
September 16th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Does anyone have any brand recommendations for scrunchies that get a lot of stretch? I have one that stretches really well but I have no idea where I got it. My others only stretch so far without breaking so I only use them for securing braids.

Willowyn
September 16th, 2014, 05:05 PM
I thought I was the only one who still had these from the 90s! I have two "stacks" stored on two aerosol cans in a dresser drawer. Hardly ever use them. But if my hair is down in a single braid or up in a ponytail (usually for playing or working outdoors with a baseball cap on), I can't imagine NOT wearing one to decorate the covered elastic. Old habits die hard, I guess....
:)

sapphire-o
September 16th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Does anyone have any brand recommendations for scrunchies that get a lot of stretch? I have one that stretches really well but I have no idea where I got it. My others only stretch so far without breaking so I only use them for securing braids.

Well the best way to tell is to test them before buying. In my experience the dollar store scrunchies are not very good. I have a couple of custom made from Etsy scrunchies that I don't use much either. All my Goody scrunchies are very stretchy and last many years. I have a couple that I use at night that are over 7 years old and haven't lost the elasticity at all. And they're usually $5 a pack and available everywhere. :)

Phexlyn
September 17th, 2014, 01:08 AM
My hair spits them out or they just slide down the length, but I like them to decorate a bun ;)

grinlord
September 17th, 2014, 01:59 AM
Thank you grinlord! is there a brand or style that holds best with the least amount of damage?

I can't imagine that any scrunchie could cause hair damage. Lots of people on here will swear by satin or silk for the kindest material, but others will find those materials never hold, so they prefer the velvet ones.

calmyogi
September 17th, 2014, 09:31 PM
I can't imagine that any scrunchie could cause hair damage. Lots of people on here will swear by satin or silk for the kindest material, but others will find those materials never hold, so they prefer the velvet ones.

Ya, I have a hard time imagining satin or silk holding well. I went and bought some today and used one to secure my bun. I liked the results, but I think it will look better when my hair longer. The bun won't look like an olive oyl bun lol.

chen bao jun
September 19th, 2014, 09:56 AM
I love scrunchies, they are perfect for holding thick hair. I make mine as the store ones are usually too loose when wrapped around once and too tight when wrapped around twice. they are very easy to make, a beginner project.

Johannah
September 19th, 2014, 02:10 PM
I used to wear them all the time. Now I fell in love with other hair toys, but I'm sure I'll wear them again in the future :D

schnibbles
October 3rd, 2014, 12:54 PM

Sooo.... Because I'm so easily enabled, I ordered a few scrunchies from this shop and they arrived today.
I ordered a regular-sized Kimmie Gibbler type (2 inch) (https://www.etsy.com/listing/167050199/silk-hair-scrunchie?ref=shop_home_active_2) for sleeping in and 2 of her narrower 1 inch size (https://www.etsy.com/listing/151906197/silk-hair-scrunchies-2-for-1800?ref=shop_home_active_3) for wearing in public. She threw in a very narrow one (it must be her 1/2 inch (https://www.etsy.com/listing/173538937/veneto-red-2-for-1800?ref=shop_home_active_14) size?) for free also, which was really nice.
These are awesome, y'all. I have the Kimmie Gibbler in a low pony right now and it's holding like a champ. The elastic inside is substantial, very stretchy. It's not sliding at all, in fact, to take it out I have to gently extricate it. The silk is beautiful, I would definitely wear these in public and not be ashamed... even the fluffy 2 inch size.