PDA

View Full Version : Smokie and Girlcat36's AGO gel

Smokie
March 20th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I seem to be getting a bunch of credit for this, but it was Girlcat36 who gave me the idea. I just went shouting it everywhere I got the chance once I figured out proportions on it for my head.

AGO gel (if mixing just before putting on your head):
~1TBsp Aloe gel
1/2-1tsp Vegetable Glycerin
2-6 drops Oil of your choice (I use either jojoba or coconut as these are the two my hair seems to like the best)
*Optional: a drop of your favorite EO for nummysmellyness.
Mix in the palm of your hand and run through hair.

Tip: If you've made a bit too much (I do this alot), use any leftover goop on your knees, elbows, etc. Any dry spot really. It's a great skin moisturizer too.

I'm currently experimenting with mixing this in bigger portions to keep. I mixed up ~6oz of it (didn't measure anything, just eyeballed it and added more of whatever it felt like it needed, literally judged by touch) a while ago. I added a bit of vitamin E oil as a preservative and it's been almost a week. Seems to be holding up well so far. Smells just like it did initially. Didn't add any EOs to the mix as I didn't want them to mask any potential problems.

Enjoy!

Tapioca
March 20th, 2008, 10:07 AM
This is very similar to Kimberlily's defrizz spray. She adds distilled water to make it work in a mister.

Smokie
March 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM
This is very similar to Kimberlily's defrizz spray. She adds distilled water to make it work in a mister.

Hey so it is! Somehow I always manage to forget what goes in that. I believe it's smaller portions there though. And, obviously, I need more goopy things to keep my frizz in check. I do tend to use a mister with some condish, aloe, etc in it to dampen my hair on non-wash days.

Perhaps Kimberlily deserves some credit for this one too. Haha. Seems we have a bit of a collaboration going here.

physicschick
March 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM
What does it do for you? Hold? Curls? I am curious. :)

aprilmay
March 20th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I also want to know what it does for you? If you keep it in the fridge that should extend its life.

Smokie
March 20th, 2008, 07:31 PM
What does it do for you? Hold? Curls? I am curious. :)

Well, I've got the crazy 3b/c curls no matter what I do. But if I don't put SOMETHING on them (generally something gel-like) my head turns into a big ball of undefined frizz. So, hold + moisture + curls. One thing I did notice is I was unable to get my bangs straight (I flat iron them) after applying the AGO gel. This gives me reason to believe it may encourage waves in those who need the help.

I also want to know what it does for you? If you keep it in the fridge that should extend its life.

True, keeping it in the fridge would extend the life. I'm experimenting at present. Keeping it at room temperature for the time being to see how long it will last that way. So far we're at almost a week with no ill effects. Still smells and feels like it should.

Tapioca
March 21st, 2008, 04:50 PM
For me, it keeps away the frizzies and makes everything sleek and smooth. I add some No More Tangles or Infusium, but I'm a cone-head. It's a good detangler for my five-year-old, too.

I've always kept it on the bathroom counter (and a 2oz sprayer of it in my purse), and it's never gone bad. And I live in the desert, so the purse one at least gets pretty warm.

DolphinPrincess
March 21st, 2008, 07:24 PM
Where do you get the vegetable glycerin from? I'm betting its the natural food store, but what 'department'? I'm not very familiar with mine.

Smokie
March 21st, 2008, 07:32 PM
For me, it keeps away the frizzies and makes everything sleek and smooth. I add some No More Tangles or Infusium, but I'm a cone-head. It's a good detangler for my five-year-old, too.

I've always kept it on the bathroom counter (and a 2oz sprayer of it in my purse), and it's never gone bad. And I live in the desert, so the purse one at least gets pretty warm.

Good to know! Are you adding any preservative to it?

Where do you get the vegetable glycerin from? I'm betting its the natural food store, but what 'department'? I'm not very familiar with mine.

I order mine from From Nature With Love. (http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/) I live in a small town so it's often hard to find things like that here. Price wasn't bad and I grossly overbought (just wanted it to make defrizz spray and Basketcase's gel, neither of which calls for much) so I have a 32oz bottle of the stuff with about 29oz left. Haha. I'm constantly trying to find ways to use the stuff. Not sure exactly where it would be in a health food store. I'm in them so rarely I have to wander aimlessly until I find things.

DolphinPrincess
March 21st, 2008, 07:45 PM
Not sure exactly where it would be in a health food store. I'm in them so rarely I have to wander aimlessly until I find things.

Haha! I do that too!!

Curlsgirl
March 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
I got my vegetable glycerin in the health/beauty products (skin/facial section) at Earth Fare.

girlcat36
March 21st, 2008, 08:11 PM
I find that any kind of misting increases my frizz.While LHC was down, I randomly tried the aloe-glycerin-oil mix one night in frustration after reading ingredients of many 'curly-girl' type products and trying to figure out which ingredients would/would not work for me. It has become a staple. Or maybe Holy Grail status. :D
Thanks for the shout out, smokie.

Smokie
March 21st, 2008, 08:38 PM
I find that any kind of misting increases my frizz.While LHC was down, I randomly tried the aloe-glycerin-oil mix one night in frustration after reading ingredients of many 'curly-girl' type products and trying to figure out which ingredients would/would not work for me. It has become a staple. Or maybe Holy Grail status. :D
Thanks for the shout out, smokie.

Psh. I wouldn't have thought to try it if it weren't for you. Figured maybe others would like to know about it and I certainly couldn't take all the credit.

Patrycja
March 22nd, 2008, 07:35 AM
I got my vegetable glycerin in the health/beauty products (skin/facial section) at Earth Fare.

we just got a Earth Fare in my town and I haven't made my way there yet.I've been having a hard time finding glycerin so thank you so much for posting this.I can't wait to go there and walk around :)

harley mama
March 22nd, 2008, 07:55 AM
I HAVE to try this. I need to locate some vegetable glycerin.

Thanks for the heads up!

Kelpie
March 22nd, 2008, 11:37 AM
Hi, I've been wanting to try something that will keep my frizzy hair in check and I think I'll give this a go.
One question though - I'm in Britain and the only Aloe gel I can find is meant for skin. Does anyone know if this is all the same stuff whether for skin or hair or will it be different?

Oh and another question - do you apply this just once after washing or again between washes?

girlcat36
March 22nd, 2008, 03:37 PM
I always use this just after washing, and occasionally on dry hair.
Aloe for skin is fine to use on hair. I try to find aloe that does not have dimethicone in it. Many aloe gels also contain dimethicone and other ingredients, even the gel sold in health food stores.