PDA

View Full Version : Elastic bands 101.

lapushka
September 14th, 2014, 12:17 PM
There's a good way to remove them, and a bad way, and that to me explains a lot as to why some people don't like those clear elastic bands. I myself have never had an issue with them, but as always YMMV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSRIRUMm-bI

Lirona
September 14th, 2014, 12:28 PM
I've never had an issue with them either, and I like how easy they are to hide. Since I usually do and undo my hair in the bathroom, I've taken to cutting them out with nail clippers (pulling one bit clear of my hair like she does)! The kind I have (from Sally's) tend to break on the second use. So single use it is.

martyna_22
September 14th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Thanks, I've never been keen on using those, but having seen the.. tutorial or something, I might actually start. Thank you for sharing! :)

Nadine <3
September 14th, 2014, 01:12 PM
if you rub a bit of oil on then they will break on their own.

meteor
September 14th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Cutting those clear elastics is what I recommend, too, since they stretch out too much to be reusable anyway.

However, ponytail damage happens not only from pulled out/tangled hair due to incorrect removal. Many people see a clear crimped area as they are growing out mechanical damage from elastics - that's probably from elastics' pressure on hair rather than pulling out elastics incorrectly. That said, it's really awesome that LilithMoon shows how to correctly remove those mini-elastics. :)

Oh, and if your hair is long enough, you may not need any elastics for accent braids anyway - It's been years since I've had to secure an accent braid with anything at all. :)
For big braids, I like to weave in a ribbon into the braid pretty early on (close to scalp), paranda-style and then tie it off at the end. I can actually feel how it's a lot gentler than elastics because there is no pressure on ends.

roseomalley
September 14th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Thanks for posting the video link, Lapushka! I use the clear, elastic bands, and now I know how to remove them safely. :cheer:

Anje
September 14th, 2014, 08:46 PM
FWIW, I have problems using the clear silicone bands, but not the colorful ones sold as "poly" bands. The silicone ones seem to eat my ends in a weird way that the others don't, and it seems to occur while I'm wearing them rather than during the removal process.

Anyway, the real point of my post is that if one type of teeny plastic elastic doesn't work for you, another variety might work better. Don't restrict yourself if you find something damaging!

Santi
September 14th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Thanks for sharing Lapushka. :) I've been hesitant to purchase elastic bands. What is YMMV?

meteor
September 14th, 2014, 09:42 PM
What is YMMV?

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary (a very common acronym on the LHC, since there are many things that can work for some but not for others on the journey of growing long hair ;) )

Santi
September 15th, 2014, 07:54 AM
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary (a very common acronym on the LHC, since there are many things that can work for some but not for others on the journey of growing long hair ;) )

Thank You Meteor. :)