PDA

View Full Version : Faux bob help!

LauraLongLocks
September 13th, 2014, 04:39 PM
I am trying to make a fake bob so I can mess with some people's heads this coming week and I can't get it to work. Went to Claire's and bought a faux bob maker and it has the little jaw clips on the ends which get caught in my hair really bad. It's super uncomfortable, too. I ripped quite a few hairs out and snapped some when trying to take it down. I couldn't make it nice and even because I have difficulty wrapping the hair up with my arms behind me the entire time, but if I swing it around front I end up with one side longer than the other. I saw TorrinPaige's video on the Conair bob maker. I might try that one, except I have the same problem she describes in the video with not much of a bump on the back of my head to grip a headband. Also, I have half-grown bangs that are just long enough to clip in a high barrette at the top of my head, but they might come out of a thin head band. I tried making my bob without a special tool... just a ponytail and some bobby pins. Super painful pulling at the nape hairs on that idea, and it came undone really fast. Searched online for more tutorials with long hair and one said women with really long hair, even halfway down their back, could do it with their instructions. I laughed. Halfway down the back? That's not going to help. If it was that short, I could do it.

So has anyone with waist-hip+ done this style and made it work? Mine is just starting to pass hip.

lapushka
September 13th, 2014, 04:49 PM
You can do this with just an elastic (make a low ponytail and tuck it under) and some bobby pins.

LauraLongLocks
September 13th, 2014, 04:54 PM
I am trying to make a fake bob so I can mess with some people's heads this coming week and I can't get it to work. Went to Claire's and bought a faux bob maker and it has the little jaw clips on the ends which get caught in my hair really bad. It's super uncomfortable, too. I ripped quite a few hairs out and snapped some when trying to take it down. I couldn't make it nice and even because I have difficulty wrapping the hair up with my arms behind me the entire time, but if I swing it around front I end up with one side longer than the other. I saw TorrinPaige's video on the Conair bob maker. I might try that one, except I have the same problem she describes in the video with not much of a bump on the back of my head to grip a headband. Also, I have half-grown bangs that are just long enough to clip in a high barrette at the top of my head, but they might come out of a thin head band. I tried making my bob without a special tool... just a ponytail and some bobby pins. Super painful pulling at the nape hairs on that idea, and it came undone really fast. Searched online for more tutorials with long hair and one said women with really long hair, even halfway down their back, could do it with their instructions. I laughed. Halfway down the back? That's not going to help. If it was that short, I could do it.

So has anyone with waist-hip+ done this style and made it work? Mine is just starting to pass hip.

You can do this with just an elastic (make a low ponytail and tuck it under) and some bobby pins.

Already said I tried it.

Entangled
September 13th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Have you tried Cuddledumplin's fake bob?
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=41837

LauraLongLocks
September 13th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Have you tried Cuddledumplin's fake bob?
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=41837

Not yet, but I'll give it a try as soon as I get myself some ribbon. Thanks.

Quixii
September 13th, 2014, 05:19 PM
I've had no luck with the fake bob. :shrug:

Entangled
September 13th, 2014, 06:21 PM
It worked for me, although it can be a bit tricky to do yourself, at least at my length. It's not completely convincing except for initially, but it is fun.

Here's another tutorial I haven't tried, but that might be more convincing:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15791

Madora
September 13th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Tried the fake bob thing a few years ago. Got all the hair up but it looked lumpy.

What I used was something I bought (years back) that in essence is one moderately thick wire that is bent in the middle and soldered together. Then it is covered with tightly woven fabric. You can "open wide" the covered wire and thread your hair through it. The hair should be fanned out slightly, not all together like a ponytail.

So, you "thread" the hair thru the wire and make one turn to make sure the wire grips. Then you keep turning and turning until you reach the nape, bend down the wires on both ends..and voila, fake bob.

I was wondering if you could use 4 pipe cleaners (cover the wire ends w/something to protect your scalp) and then thread your hair thru the pipecleaner "mouth" and continue on winding until you hit the nape, then turn down the pipe cleaners on both ends.

gus
September 15th, 2014, 04:24 AM
Something I've found to be super helpful when doing this (and I've been able to do it even at BCL), is curling my hair beforehand. I don't mean heat, necessarily - putting the hair in rag/sponge curlers overnight works great. When you're going for the faux bob, the curls make it just that smidge "messy" which hides any amount of the flaws.

The tutorial I used (and then modified, since her hair is shorter plus she uses hot rollers) is here (http://vimeo.com/14722856): it took me about a half-dozen tries to get it down, but now I put my hair up like this maybe once a week or so! Next time I do, I'll grab a pic of it.