PDA

View Full Version : Aloe

pastina
September 13th, 2014, 03:35 PM
So, i just went and bought myself a bottle of clear aloe vera gel. Now I need to ask--- what's the best way to use it? Mix it into conditioner? Use it straight as a pre-poo treatment? Or maybe as a leave-in?

What do you guys suggest?

Zesty
September 13th, 2014, 03:48 PM
The reason I bought it was to use in an SMT, which is a microwaved mix of honey, aloe vera gel, and conditioner. Some people use it as a hair gel. (If you're not using it that way, it might be a little weird as a leave-in, I don't know.) I also use it mixed with water in a spray bottle to help with an itchy scalp. And I'm sure there are many other uses.

meteor
September 13th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I like to add it to SMTs (with conditioner and honey), and do scalp rinses with it.

Aloe is great to have on hand, and sky is the limit with how you may try to mix and match it with other stuff.

(It's a strong humectant, so may not work super-well in extremely dry environment, so I like to use it in the shower.)

Aeris
September 13th, 2014, 04:00 PM
I always put a little bit in my hair while it is wet after washing - really helps make my hair smoother. Sometimes I add it dry too, but if I do, I mix it with water first.

Dickiebow
September 13th, 2014, 04:31 PM
I have 2a hair like you. I use it as a leave in . First I use oil on wet hair and then the aloe gel (a small amount of each). It helps fight frizz really well and it's moisturising.

Nadine <3
September 13th, 2014, 04:56 PM
I love aloe! My hair HATED it in conditioner (actually, my hair hates aloe, period.) but my scalp LOVES it mixed into my shampoo.

ExpectoPatronum
September 13th, 2014, 10:17 PM
People like it in their conditioning treatments and I've read some curlies and wavies liking it as hair gel.

My hair doesn't really care for it personally. I do like to use it on my skin though!

Larki
September 13th, 2014, 10:23 PM
I've used it as a leave-in and as a deep conditioner. I didn't notice a difference with it as a DC, but it was nice as a leave-in; it's good at taming frizz. It didn't make my hair greasy or stiff or anything weird. It didn't feel or look like I had anything in my hair at all, and I used a LOT as a leave-in: like the size of a penny.

FallingDarkness
September 13th, 2014, 10:28 PM
pastina our hair type is really similar! Yours is just more fine than mine is, but you have thick 2a hair as well. :P I've been meaning to try out aloe for a while but I can't find clear aloe ANYWHERE (grr) so tell me how it goes so I know to continue my hunt or not?

gthlvrmx
September 13th, 2014, 10:34 PM
I read that aloe vera and other humectants like honey have to be used at a certain dew point which I think is between 35-45 F. Anything below will suck the moisture out of your hair and anything over can cause over moisturized hair. I think that's how it works. I wish i had saved the links that explain all this it had the accurate temperature numbers :P But most people usually have no problem at all using humectants when they try it. I do though since i live in a dry area.

pastina
September 13th, 2014, 10:41 PM
guys, this has been really helpful! i'm glad to hear that the consensus is that aloe was a good purchase. i have loads of things to try now! (and larki-- i'm glad you mentioned how much you used, i would have had no clue!)

@ fallingdarkness-- i had a really hard time finding it too! i was really surprised, i thought it'd be everywhere since it's still technically summer, but nope! only the green or blue stuff. i ended up getting a bottle from walmart. i'll keep you updated!

neko_kawaii
September 13th, 2014, 10:48 PM
One of my favorite uses of aloe is to put about a tablespoon of aloe and six drops of oil (I use jojoba) in a large yogurt tub and mix with water. At the end of my shower I dunk my length in the tub for maybe 20 seconds and then dump it over my head, no rinse. I find this is a good way to apply aloe and oil as a leave in.

princesspoppy
September 14th, 2014, 03:14 AM
I have coarse curly hair (can't quite decide if it's 2c or 3a) and I always smooth and relax it by brushing while it's drying and damp bunning. I have recently started using aloe vera after I put coconut oil on my hair (straight out of the shower) and the results have been smoother, straighter, softer hair! I'd really recommend it to anyone who loosens their curls without heat.

Zugar
September 14th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Hi!

I canīt find the clear aloe either, but I have the Vaselin Intensive Care-tube. I only use it to releave serious scalp-itching, since it makes my hair stiff. That said, I use the amount of a whole palm massaged into my scalp. Doesnīt look so fresh once in there, but at least I donīt itch while itīs there.

But as someone else said; my facial skin loves it :)

(sorry about my bad english)

meteor
September 14th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Hi!

I canīt find the clear aloe either, but I have the Vaselin Intensive Care-tube. I only use it to releave serious scalp-itching, since it makes my hair stiff. That said, I use the amount of a whole palm massaged into my scalp. Doesnīt look so fresh once in there, but at least I donīt itch while itīs there.

But as someone else said; my facial skin loves it :)

If you want to have aloe vera in a lighter, easier-to-apply form, why not try aloe vera juice? :) It's often sold in big amounts in grocery stores. It's easy to dilute in some water and do a full scalp rinse with that mixture.

Also, there are some commercial products that consist of a lot of aloe, for example I like Jason moisturizing shampoo, which is 85% aloe.

Zugar
September 14th, 2014, 09:49 AM
If you want to have aloe vera in a lighter, easier-to-apply form, why not try aloe vera juice? :) It's often sold in big amounts in grocery stores. It's easy to dilute in some water and do a full scalp rinse with that mixture.

Also, there are some commercial products that consist of a lot of aloe, for example I like Jason moisturizing shampoo, which is 85% aloe.

Hello :)

Aloe vera juice would be great, but the grocery stores here donīt carry it. The Jäsön-products we do have, by the way. I have the aloe-conditioner in my hair right now :) Doesnīt make any difference towards the itchiness tho, but I think my hair likes it :)

meteor
September 14th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Hello :)

Aloe vera juice would be great, but the grocery stores here donīt carry it. The Jäsön-products we do have, by the way. I have the aloe-conditioner in my hair right now :) Doesnīt make any difference towards the itchiness tho, but I think my hair likes it :)

Do you apply Jason conditioner to scalp? I don't put any conditioner on scalp, but I used Jason shampoo on scalp and it was pretty good, but my scalp was already healthy.
And I don't know how serious your itchies are. If they are serious, you'll probably need to see a doctor and use a medicated shampoo for a while. Things like honey, aloe, ACV help provide a bit of relief, but won't replace medicated shampoos in serious cases.

FallingDarkness
September 14th, 2014, 03:47 PM
guys, this has been really helpful! i'm glad to hear that the consensus is that aloe was a good purchase. i have loads of things to try now! (and larki-- i'm glad you mentioned how much you used, i would have had no clue!)

@ fallingdarkness-- i had a really hard time finding it too! i was really surprised, i thought it'd be everywhere since it's still technically summer, but nope! only the green or blue stuff. i ended up getting a bottle from walmart. i'll keep you updated!

Walmart. Okay. That place is close to here. I might be able to find some. :) Thanks much.

Zugar
September 15th, 2014, 04:55 AM
Do you apply Jason conditioner to scalp? I don't put any conditioner on scalp, but I used Jason shampoo on scalp and it was pretty good, but my scalp was already healthy.
And I don't know how serious your itchies are. If they are serious, you'll probably need to see a doctor and use a medicated shampoo for a while. Things like honey, aloe, ACV help provide a bit of relief, but won't replace medicated shampoos in serious cases.

Normally I donīt, but when putting the hair up it tend to touch the scalp a bit, yes. My itching is bad, now a days I always keep short-short nails so I canīt scratch to the point where I start bleeding. And yes, Iīve been to the doctors, but they canīt find anything :(

pastina
September 18th, 2014, 11:59 AM
ok, i mixed aloe in with my conditioner and... my hair feels gross! it feels dirty-- way worse than before i washed it. looks fabulous though? hm, what did i do wrong!!

Zugar
September 19th, 2014, 03:48 AM
I mixed aloe vera in my conditioner too. Plus honey and tea tee oil, and it worked fantastic the first time. Then it just, sort of... didmīt work so well.

My hair did not seem greasy or anything, tho. Just clean :)

catamonica
September 21st, 2014, 04:06 PM
I use Aloe in my conditioner too. I add two caofuls. It's great for skin. Softens your ends. And good for your scalp.

AlexDig
September 22nd, 2014, 08:48 PM
Oh my goodness, I'm obsessed with aloe vera gel! I use it for pretty much everything but here are my 3 favorites:
1) Egg and Aloe wash: aloe vera gel, egg, argan oil, tea tree oil, and any other essential oils I want to use.
2) In my hair mister: water, rose water, aloe vera gel, argan oil, and vegetable glycerin.
3) Gel: I've tried lots of iterations of this but in the end, several tablespoons of aloe vera gel gold my curls perfectly for days! Though I will say that I have fine hair so it might not be enough hold for you thick haired ladies!

With this routine, I've been able to wash my hair every 5 days...and I had to wash it every other day with any of my other previous routines. Can you tell that I'm totally in love with aloe vera?? :-)

pastina
September 22nd, 2014, 08:54 PM
i must have used too much last time! when i washed again, i just mixed a small bit in with my conditioner and my hair is lovely!