PDA

View Full Version : Pixie Grow Out: To Cut or Not to Cut? (Now with pics!)

skeletonous
September 13th, 2014, 10:36 AM
So if you've seen me around the forums, you have probably seen my posts about growing out my pixie cut.

My current length is:

Sides: 1.5 inches below ears (right about at jaw) pulled straight.

Back: 2.5 inches below ears (about midneck) pulled straight.

When not pulled straight, the side pieces are about an inch from my jawline and the back is right about jawline because of my waves.

I will probably have to include pictures when I get home, but I really want to get some other opinions on if I should cut the back of my hair to match the front length. I know it depends on me ultimately :p I just feel like I have a mullet when I brush out my waves but I was told I shouldn't cut it anymore because it looks fine.

I feel like it will be fine in the long run if I don't cut it as well because it's only about an inch difference, but at this length I feel like it may look a bit odd.

Is there anyone else that have had to make a decision like this?

ETA: Here (http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/22/64/de/2264de23bc39399b59571daae8a88b62.jpg) is an idea of what my hair looks like right now, though it is a tiny bit shorter right now and there doesn't seem to be as much of a difference in length.

ETA 2: Here's actual pictures :D

Okay so here's a picture of my profile, excuse the messy looking top :laugh: I have a lot of new growth and sometimes my hair does what it wants:

http://i.imgur.com/mQiwWCk.png

And here's a pic of the top half of the back of my head with that new hair stick :) Persian Blue 5 inch Ead! I might need to go for longer sticks in the future though since that's only about half of my hair.

http://i.imgur.com/TFZmWCK.png

Becs
September 13th, 2014, 11:00 AM
I grew out a pixie as well, so for quite a while I had 3 distinct lengths/layers in my hair, because I did not cut the back to match the sides. I just rode out the mullet phase. It was fine for me and I'm glad I did it that way. When it got a bit longer and I still had the 3 lengths, I would braid the very front (shortest) pieces and clip them back with barrettes as they weren't long enough to tie together. Then, when it got even longer I would tie back the shortest of the lengths into a half ponytail, as they did look a bit silly hanging down as they were so much shorter than the rest of my hair. I finally did cut when my shortest layer reached collarbone so that all my hair was one length.

hannabiss
September 13th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Shaved my head July 18 2014. I've just been riding out the Mullet stage. Half ups help other wise I wore a bandana a lot. Not much to do but id hate to lose length. But I have been tempted to trim.

skeletonous
September 13th, 2014, 11:12 AM
I grew out a pixie as well, so for quite a while I had 3 distinct lengths/layers in my hair, because I did not cut the back to match the sides. I just rode out the mullet phase. It was fine for me and I'm glad I did it that way. When it got a bit longer and I still had the 3 lengths, I would braid the very front (shortest) pieces and clip them back with barrettes as they weren't long enough to tie together. Then, when it got even longer I would tie back the shortest of the lengths into a half ponytail, as they did look a bit silly hanging down as they were so much shorter than the rest of my hair. I finally did cut when my shortest layer reached collarbone so that all my hair was one length.

Thank you for the input! That makes me feel a bit better :) I think another incentive to just keep growing it is to be able to put in into a ponytail faster...I'm in nursing school and would really like to be able to put it up somehow when we go to the hospital once a week.

Shaved my head July 18 2014. I've just been riding out the Mullet stage. Half ups help other wise I wore a bandana a lot. Not much to do but id hate to lose length. But I have been tempted to trim.

That's pretty much how I've been dealing with it :laugh: I hate to lose the length too. I think I might also start listing my hair length as it's supposed to be listed, using the back length instead of the sides if I don't cut it to be blunt. That makes it past jaw and heading to shoulder length. :)

becker
September 13th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I would pull a little bit of what would be bangs if I had them back into a barrette on one side when I was in this stage. It distracted my eye enough to over look what I thought looked like a mullet for quite a few months.

skeletonous
September 13th, 2014, 11:41 AM
I would pull a little bit of what would be bangs if I had them back into a barrette on one side when I was in this stage. It distracted my eye enough to over look what I thought looked like a mullet for quite a few months.

I tend to tuck my hair behind my ears to help with that :) maybe I should do that more often. Thank you!

Goodwyfe
September 13th, 2014, 12:05 PM
I am also growing out from pixie and it sounds like our hair is about the same length now. I have been getting the back cut and not touching the front, which has resulted in a more deliberate looking "style" for the growing out period. My hair is curly, so it doesn't grow out all cute like Emma Watson. Since I want to avoid lots of layers in my long hair, I'm not opposed to sacrificing "length" at the back of my head. I would rather my hair have a more attractive shape during the awkward phase than simply achieve hair hitting my collar as soon as possible. Head bands and small pins have been helping me out.

Lady Mary
September 13th, 2014, 12:36 PM
How do you feel about clippies? Twist and clip the extra hair back? At some point, most people trim a bit off while growing out a pixie, it's inevitable anyway if you want an even hairline. Something to consider though, if you leave it, you can get it into a ponytail or bun that much sooner. Good luck!

skeletonous
September 13th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Goodwyfe I totally understand what you mean :) though I only really have the two layers to my hair and it's slightly wavy, so I think just leaving it alone would work out better for me than if I was in your situation. I totally support keeping it to where it looks good during the awkward phase though, having short hair when you want it BSL and longer is hard enough :p.

Lady Mary I love tiny clippies :) I have a few cloth covered alligator clip bows that I like to use when I feel the need to look extra girly. And actually I was thinking about that inevitable bit when considering whether or not to cut it now...I do not want a blunt hemline when my hair is long; I'd rather have a V shape/fairytale type ends, so I figure if I could deal with it being the way it is now, it'll grow out faster to what I would like it to be. Also being in nursing school, I would totally want to get to putting it in a bun or braid asap. Thank you! :D

I'm also posting an example picture that I found on Google that kind of shows how my hair looks now.

browneyedsusan
September 13th, 2014, 01:43 PM
I grew my pixie without trimming. Snoop through my growth album.

When my bangs started poking my eyes, I pinned them up, and wore a variety of half-ups for the next 8 months. I never wore my hair down in public because it looked horrific. My end goal was to wear a variety of updos every day. Trimming would just slow me down, so I just pretended :lala: my hair is fabulous!

If you wear your hair down, trimming is probably better.

two_wheels
September 13th, 2014, 01:48 PM
I trimmed when I really couldn't stand it. You'll know if you have to trim. Just keep an eye on the back and do whatever you're comfortable with.
With waves, it's going to be awkward between pixie and BSL whether you trim it or not, in my opinion.

skeletonous
September 13th, 2014, 02:10 PM
browneyedsusan Don't mind if I do :p thank you lol. I would prefer to wear my hair up when I can, so I think I'll stay away from trimming unless it's necessary.

two_wheels Thank you :) that's a great point!

allycat
September 13th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Holy moly, skeletonous! I wish I didn't look at that link you showed. That haircut is *adorable* and I am tempted to run right out to a salon this instant!

(thank goodness i don't like short hair on myownself.)

As for your hair, I'd probably keep growing at that point still. Good luck and happy growing!

terryn
September 13th, 2014, 03:31 PM
I'm growing out an asymmetrical pixie, the left front is WAY longer than everything else. The right side is just brushing the top of my ears, the left is about the top of my jaw, but not quite long enough to tuck behind my ears. I intend to get the back trimmed up about every 6 months, but in the mean time, I'm just letting it grow and living with it. Recently, I have started pinning back the top left to keep it from poking me in the face. Like most other people, I've found that pinning it back has pretty instantly relieved that "frumpy" feeling, so I feel good about holding out another few months before getting it trimmed. I think trimming is pretty necessary just because everything is so out of whack when you are growing from a pixie, all different lengths and a weird hem and all of that. But the longer you can go just living with it, the faster you get to the other side. So, that's my strategy!

skeletonous
September 13th, 2014, 03:57 PM
allycat Aww thank you! :flower: I guess it doesn't really look that mullet-y after all then :p that's a big relief. Thanks again!

terryn Makes sense to me :D pinning it back does help a lot, and I can actually get my hair into either a half up ponytail or a mini regular ponytail at the, so maybe I can do that when I don't want my hair touching my neck. Also lots of good luck to you and your growth journey! I'm sure growing out an asymmetrical pixie is much more annoying than growing out a regular one. Thank you! :flowers:

georgia_peach
September 13th, 2014, 04:04 PM
I started with this in January: http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/bcmathis0213/8b1c2107-b3e5-4dd9-ab09-f5fa229b4f3c_zpsf27fd22d.jpg (http://s862.photobucket.com/user/bcmathis0213/media/8b1c2107-b3e5-4dd9-ab09-f5fa229b4f3c_zpsf27fd22d.jpg.html) That cut involved lots of layers cut in with those dreaded notched scissors and a razor...ugh. I decided not to trim at all and now I am here:http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/bcmathis0213/001_zps06dc2bf2.jpg (http://s862.photobucket.com/user/bcmathis0213/media/001_zps06dc2bf2.jpg.html)

I'm powering through with lots of claw clips, some for my bangs which are now chin length and to put the back up. So it CAN be done, but I know it's not easy. Hang in there! :)

skeletonous
September 13th, 2014, 04:35 PM
^ thanks so much! :D that really helps! Also did you color your hair with henna? That color looks really lovely. :)

georgia_peach
September 13th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Aw, well, I hope it helped a little to see what the initial stage of growing out might look like.
As for the color, I think the first picture with shorter hair makes my color look more washed out than it really is. Those golden red tones are actually left over hair color/highlights from December 2013 plus some natural reddish tones.
If you get a chance maybe post us a pic of your hair? I bet it looks far less mullet-y than you think!

skeletonous
September 13th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Aw, well, I hope it helped a little to see what the initial stage of growing out might look like.
As for the color, I think the first picture with shorter hair makes my color look more washed out than it really is. Those golden red tones are actually left over hair color/highlights from December 2013 plus some natural reddish tones.
If you get a chance maybe post us a pic of your hair? I bet it looks far less mullet-y than you think!

I actually just tried taking pictures of the back of my head with my new hairstick in...I just figured out that I can do a french twist half up with it :cheese: but wow is it difficult to take a picture like that by yourself! I'll see if I can get a good one now that shows the length. :)

I actually just tried taking pictures of the back of my head with my new hairstick in...I just figured out that I can do a french twist half up with it :cheese: but wow is it difficult to take a picture like that by yourself! I'll see if I can get a good one now that shows the length. :)

Okay so here's a picture of my profile, excuse the messy looking top :laugh: I have a lot of new growth and sometimes my hair does what it wants:

http://i.imgur.com/mQiwWCk.png

And here's a pic of the top half of the back of my head with that new hair stick :) Persian Blue 5 inch Ead! I might need to go for longer sticks in the future though since that's only about half of my hair.

http://i.imgur.com/TFZmWCK.png

Isilme
September 13th, 2014, 05:57 PM
I'd let it grow to about APL and maintain there until you have grown out most of the layers. This way it's easier to keep it up, but it's just a theory I have never grown out hair that short since I was in Kindergarten.

skeletonous
September 13th, 2014, 05:59 PM
I'd let it grow to about APL and maintain there until you have grown out most of the layers. This way it's easier to keep it up, but it's just a theory I have never grown out hair that short since I was in Kindergarten.

That's something I could definitely do :) I'll see what it looks like when I get there someday :laugh: thank you!

georgia_peach
September 13th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Yay for the french twist half up!! And I think your hair looks very healthy and not mullet-y. You may find the length a little challenging right now but I really wouldn't trim it. You'll be at shoulder in no time!

skeletonous
September 13th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Yay for the french twist half up!! And I think your hair looks very healthy and not mullet-y. You may find the length a little challenging right now but I really wouldn't trim it. You'll be at shoulder in no time!

Yay for healthy and not mullet-y! :cheese: After reading everyone's input so far I'm 99% sure that I'm not going to trim it; I'm actually very excited now that I've realized how close to shoulder I really am. My hair has been growing about an inch a month according to when I started measuring (which still amazes me) and I hope I can continue to help it stay healthy enough to grow at that rate.

molljo
September 13th, 2014, 08:07 PM
I'm someone who trimmed several times, too many, during the phase you're in now. I was looking through some pictures from last summer, and I was so afraid of getting a mullet that I inadvertently gave myself mushroom hair. Not a cute look. Once I backed off on monitoring the back of head, put down the scissors, and let it do its thing, it raced to shoulder in no time. Based on your pic, I think you're fine, and that it'll grow out nicely. And wow, congratulations on getting a stick to work so early in the game!

Lazy Loop
September 13th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Skeletonous, I think your hair looks really good as it is! I grew out from fairly short, and thought I "had" to keep trimming the neck part until it was all even. I wish I hadn't. I would have been able to pull it up a lot sooner!

Over all this time, I think my hair would be probably 6 inches longer in the back, if I would have been tougher during the mullet-y times :-( I now think it's always safer to wait and put off cutting. You can always cut later.

I wish I would have researched more, and asked here first! browneyedsusan is a perfect example, wow!!

ETA: molljo, I also trimmed the back in an attempt to get it all one length, at neck length! But no one mentioned "Mushroom Hair" phenomena! Mine has been "Triangle Head" forever, and I still battle it. I wish I would have ignored it and let it grow past.

georgia_peach, Powering is really paying off for you; I wish I had Powered through. Nice length!!

skeletonous
September 13th, 2014, 08:33 PM
I'm someone who trimmed several times, too many, during the phase you're in now. I was looking through some pictures from last summer, and I was so afraid of getting a mullet that I inadvertently gave myself mushroom hair. Not a cute look. Once I backed off on monitoring the back of head, put down the scissors, and let it do its thing, it raced to shoulder in no time. Based on your pic, I think you're fine, and that it'll grow out nicely. And wow, congratulations on getting a stick to work so early in the game!

I was so afraid of accidentally giving myself mushroom hair :shudder: That's partially what kept me from trimming it lol. Also thank you! :flower: I guess I was just persistent enough to get it to work, the only problem I had at first was holding onto my hair so that I could get the stick in securely enough. If I can get DBF to take a picture of the back of my head tomorrow, I might be able to show the style better for anyone else who might want to try it. This video helped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9JXMRpMMrM&list=PLvpaZo2WJgyxQcrJ53pU-ksvCBX5QrzdM&index=54

Skeletonous, I think your hair looks really good as it is! I grew out from fairly short, and thought I "had" to keep trimming the neck part until it was all even. I wish I hadn't. I would have been able to pull it up a lot sooner!

Over all this time, I think my hair would be probably 6 inches longer in the back, if I would have been tougher during the mullet-y times :-( I now think it's always safer to wait and put off cutting. You can always cut later.

I wish I would have researched more, and asked here first! browneyedsusan is a perfect example, wow!!

Thank you! :o I also thought I "had" to cut it because that's what a lot of the guides to growing out a pixie cut would emphasize; but looking at them, a lot of them are trying to get to some type of bob first before gaining any more length, which I've realized isn't necessary to being content with your hair. I've also realized that a "bad hair day" with a growing out pixie can easily be fixed with a bandana, so it's not something that you focus on during the day.

LauraLongLocks
September 13th, 2014, 09:07 PM
I grew out a pixie and I trimmed back until I had something I could blow dry with flipped up ends. It was really cute.

This is me, about 2 months after the pixie cut. (previous to the pixie I had MBL hair)

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/Hair%20length%20shots/APR08-09064-1.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/Hair%20length%20shots/APR08-09064-1.jpg.html)

Four months after the pixie... I wasn't sure if I was growing it out yet or not.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/Hair%20length%20shots/c48066d4-95cb-4dc9-8080-ccd37c1035c7.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/Hair%20length%20shots/c48066d4-95cb-4dc9-8080-ccd37c1035c7.jpg.html)

Pinned back, about a year after the pixie. A lot of haircuts in between. Like I said, not sure if I was going to grow long again.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/Hair%20length%20shots/LauraPrego016.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/Hair%20length%20shots/LauraPrego016.jpg.html)

The flipped up ends. I thought it was cute.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/Hair%20length%20shots/16443_1272620059131_5634775_n-1-1.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/Hair%20length%20shots/16443_1272620059131_5634775_n-1-1.jpg.html)

Heat styled curls.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/Hair%20length%20shots/009.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/Hair%20length%20shots/009.jpg.html)

And my most recent length is in my signature pic.

skeletonous
September 13th, 2014, 09:25 PM
^ Very cute! Thanks for sharing :flower: it's always nice to see that others have taken and made it through a similar journey. I especially like the pic with the heat styled curls, you have a very beautiful pinup-esque/50's type of aire in that one. :o

SnowbirdRose
September 14th, 2014, 01:06 PM
The flipped up ends. I thought it was cute.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/Hair%20length%20shots/16443_1272620059131_5634775_n-1-1.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/Hair%20length%20shots/16443_1272620059131_5634775_n-1-1.jpg.html)

This is exactly what my hair does now on it's own. Darn cow licks. Sometimes one side of my hair wants to flip under and the other side flips out. Hopefully they will behave a bit when I gain more length.

lazuliblue
September 14th, 2014, 01:23 PM
I trimmed the mullet a bit, but mainly just let it grow! The bit that I made sure I gradually trimmed out was the weird long-short-long bit that I had where it was long in front of my ear, short where it had been cut around the shape of my ear, and then obviously longer at the back.

So now I am at BSL and basically have a U-shaped hemline with a single layer at the bottom. I am fine with the U-shape but will eventually trim out the layer.

hannabiss
September 14th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I put my baby Mullet up in a pony tail today. I instantly felt better. Just wish ponytails weren't so damaging

vicvic
September 14th, 2014, 02:29 PM
I was the one who could just not restrain herself...I trimmed. And trimmed some more. I was not willing to go around with a mullet! I just couldn't stand it.

Having said that, the trims didn't do a whole lot for me...I gave up heat simultaneously (except for occasional use) and so my hair looked bad no matter what. I kept on trimming, though, thinking once I got to about where I'm at now I could enjoy a nice a-line cut, which I had had throughout high school (a grown out bob - I guess it could be called mushroom hair? Idk, I like it). Now that I'm at that length I'm soooo much happier with my hair. But man, would it be long if I hadn't been cutting it!

It isn't really a-line though...turns out I needed to trim some more...but now I'm so apprehensive about trimming more because it's long enough for a ponytail and other simple updoes. But I can pin the longest bit up in back and make it look a-line, so I'm just gonna give the scissors a rest.