PDA

View Full Version : EW! MONSTER split end! Split 9 WHOLE TIMES?!?!?!?

FallingDarkness
September 12th, 2014, 10:39 PM
What on earth?
I don't even UNDERSTAND that.
I tried to take a picture when I found it this morning. I was just munching on an English Muffin and looking through my hair and then was like OMG that's a split end. Wait... That's a LOT of split ends. On the same strand of hair?! It looked hideous! It looked alien! How'd I miss it so many times before? I S&D regularly, I wear my hair up every day... :( What did I do wrong to get that monstrous split?
Sorry. More of a rant than anything. But ew. Just. Ew.
I must be bad at hair care of something. :(

Entangled
September 12th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Well, I think the record is seventeen times! Monster splits are just...wow. That takes skill!

Larki
September 12th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Wow! The most I've found so far is four on one strand.

Knifegill
September 12th, 2014, 11:14 PM
Probably not your fault. Even with best efforts, hair is bound to get caught on things or decay.

FallingDarkness
September 13th, 2014, 12:21 AM
Seventeen times? I think I'd die if I had a Monster Split that bad. The worst I had found before today was 2, so I was seriously shocked to find one so much worse than that today...

So what you're saying is that you can't really prevent Monster Splits? :/

dogzdinner
September 13th, 2014, 02:05 AM
wow! I didnt think 17 was possible! 3 is my personal 'best' so far. :D
I suppose statistically though monster splits are bound to happen given how much hair you have on your head!

MJ1972
September 13th, 2014, 02:45 AM
I once found a strand with nine splits long ago. I was eleven and checking out the length of my ponytail while being driven somewhere by my mother. I yelled, 'Mum, you'll never believe this. I just found a hair with nine split ends!' just as my Mum nearly hit the vehicle in front of us. She was so shocked by the near-collision that she told me to shut up and spare her my hair stories. I remember being quite offended at that. Here I was, sharing a momentous event in my life, only to be told to shut up... It wasn't until I started to drive myself that I began to understand what my Mum must have gone through at that moment.

Long story short: I feel your pain, FallingDarkness. It's stupendous when you find a hair like that. And like you, I have no idea what caused a split that bad...

RoseofCimarron
September 13th, 2014, 02:55 AM
Aw that sucks, FallingDarkness! No one likes to see a split like that. :( Your hair looks really pretty and healthy in your avatar, so I hope this split is just a fluke.

I think my personal best (or worst) is a record breaker, 29 splits on one hair. Yep, 29. I was sitting in my car after a yoga class and noticed a really split hair, so I pulled the hair away from the rest and cut it off right above where the splits ended (about 4-5 inches up the hair). I counted them and there was at least 29 little feather splits. :scared: I tried to save it to post a picture, but I lost it getting out of the car when I got home. :( Only on LHC right? :laugh:

Olavi
September 13th, 2014, 03:12 AM
If I remember correctly, my record is seven or eight splits in one strand. But it has happened maybe two times, mostly my multiples are maximum of four in one strand.

Gertrude
September 13th, 2014, 07:59 AM
I would be wicked and say congratulations on your super strong hair (-;, because once my hair has three splits, most ever I have seen, it has thinned/weakened so much that if I just touch it it breaks off. To still be one hair with lots of split ends means there is strength in the hair. Or to me and I am no biologist. Since I have been wearing my hair up I haven't had the lots of tiny splits at the very end thing, well at least as long as I have a small trim after three months or so, but do get the occasional very split canopy hair. Which has two splits at most. Between hairs without splits.

starfire
September 13th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I get those too! I prefer to not have splits, but I get quite a kick out of finding them.

FallingDarkness
September 13th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I'd hate to have to get such a large chop due to damage when I'm sooooo close to waist. By so close I mean like 5 months away. But still. I feel closer than I am.
Everyone's tales of horrendous monster splits makes me feel slightly better :P And Gertrude, thank you for claiming that my hair is strong. It gives me hope LOL

jacqueline101
September 13th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Oh my that's a monster. I think the most I found on my hair was two. I thought it was a monster.

ghost
September 13th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Ugh!!! I hate the look of monster split ends, they look so disgusting and unsettling for some reason. 9 is...quite an achievement :O Weird, the stuff that happens to our hair even when we take the best possible care of it.
FallingDarkness your hair looks in a lot better condition than mine, now I have to go check for monster splits, too.

Kherome
September 13th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Just yesterday I cut off a 14 way split.

trolleypup
September 13th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Usually feather type splits (although all the splitlings tend to be on one side) are from a hair being pulled through a snarl (pulled through a sharp corner - like using a scissors to curl ribbon).

My most recent monster was a triple bubble split (hair intact above and below with three strands in the middle...then the tip of that hair was some kind of multiple split, 6 or 7 splits total.

JustPam
September 18th, 2014, 05:57 AM
I find some crazy splits, most I've found is a 10 (currently preserved in sellotape in my wallet), but 3s and 4s aren't uncommon (thanks bleach and straighteners!) I always wish I had a microscope to look at all the weird things up close, splits, dots, holes

PinkScarf
September 18th, 2014, 03:23 PM
I just found a hair on my head that had five splits and I thought that was crazy! I hate having split ends but the monster ones are always kind of cool to look at, at least.

YGDW
September 18th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I got those too every now and then. Even as a child, I found it highly fascinating. I remember when I was about 12, my teacher said something about me like "[name] always pays attention, even though it looks like she's only studying her hair all day long". My goal was to study them under a microscope. In any case, I don't find them disgusting. I mean, they're just a hair. Probably as clean as all the other hairs on your head. Nothing's bleeding or anything. :)

tokugawa.miyako
September 18th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Wow, I'm pretty sure that I've never seen more than two splits on a single strand of my hair! I'm going to be scared now. :shudder:

maskedrose
September 19th, 2014, 11:59 AM
I had one where split at regular intervals ALL the way up the shaft....I think it was around 15 splits total. I found the one closest to the bottom, then continued to follow the strand upwards and couldn't believe my eyes. I think I maybe have a rogue follicle that produce weird growth patterns...but I've never found one like that again! So weird.

ladonna
September 19th, 2014, 05:04 PM
When I joined tlhc most of my bsl hair had these types of splits, I had the cut my hair to my shoulders and start over. Seriously did not know anything about hair care.