PDA

View Full Version : Can essential oils damage hair?

foreverKristin
September 12th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Hey guys! I bought some Lemon and Sweet Orange essential oils recently to scent my hair with, but I'm kind of afraid they could damage my length, because of the citrusy nature of these particular oils. My length has some old damage from hydral fatigue and heat, so I don't want to make it any worse. I've used the oils once before, taking a few drops of each on my palms and running it over my almost-dry hair just to give it a pleasant scent.

I won't be too upset if it is damaging, because I wear my hair up all the time anyway, so I barely ever smelled the nice citrus scent. I'm just curious since I can't track down any concrete info online. I'd really appreciate y'all's input!

ravenheather
September 12th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Dilute oil in water and mist hair with it.

peachyleshy
September 12th, 2014, 07:21 PM
I'd say probably not. Not that I know for sure. I'm sure you won't be soaking your hair in the oil which might have a different effect - like it might lighten your hair since lemon juice does that. I've used different essential oils with no bad results that I could see.

Nadine <3
September 12th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Be careful this those citrus ones as they'll make your skin more sensitive to sunlight and prone to a nasty burn! If you put it on your scalp, wear a hat.

foreverKristin
September 12th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I will try diluting it with water and putting it in a mister bottle. And I'll definitely keep it off my scalp since I'm in the sun a lot walking from class to class.

meteor
September 12th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I will try diluting it with water and putting it in a mister bottle. And I'll definitely keep it off my scalp since I'm in the sun a lot walking from class to class.

Please remember that oils and water don't mix, so if you want to properly dilute your EOs, please use some base / carrier oil (there is lots of information about proper proportions online). After that you can mix it in water for a lighter application if you want.

Also, please remember that citrus EOs (and EOs in general) are extremely powerful when undiluted - they are sold in glass because they can actually "eat" through plastic! And undiluted EOs can easily cause chemical burns on skin.
If you dilute EOs only in water and then spray it on, then later the water evaporates and your hair is left in contact with the EO undiluted! Of course, hair is pretty strong, but I don't recommend risking it just for a nice smell, so I suggest diluting well. :flower:

Beborani
September 12th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Essential oils are volatile--they are generally terpenoids, not fatty acids so while water isnt the best carrier, I doubt it will cause any damage when water evaporates as they too will evaporate. They can also be diluted with alcohol--may not be ideal for hair but mixing it with some alcohol might help it disperse better in water.

meteor
September 12th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Thank you so much, Beborani! :D That's a great relief, actually, as I have a few EOs in my favorite leave-ins, but I was worried about the price my hair might be paying for the cute fragrance.
It bothered me that EOs can be irritants for sensitive skin and can definitely cause chemical burns, and I was worried that they might potentially have some negative effect on hair, too.

chen bao jun
September 13th, 2014, 09:44 AM
You dilute them in a carrier oil--REALLY dilute like one or two drops per a lot of oil. there are several threads with recipes
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=41192
(there's a link in post #8)

foreverKristin
September 13th, 2014, 10:35 AM
I know that oil and water don't mix, but I know that many people dilute theirs in water and just give it a good shake before using, so I'm willing to try just for fun. I want to (lightly!) scent some coconut oil with my EOs, so I've been hunting around the house for a small glass jar to keep it in. Thanks everybody!