PDA

View Full Version : Preventing neck strain

Knifegill
September 11th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Balanced hair styles? Neck mobility and strengthening exercises? Any thoughts?

brickworld13
September 11th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Distrubute the weight of the hair around your head. Strengthen your neck and back. Be mindful of your posture and actively work to improve it if it is poor.

ExpectoPatronum
September 11th, 2014, 07:52 AM
I find I get the most neck strain when I haven't been wearing updos as often, or if I'm using hair toys that aren't compatible with my length and thickness.

I can also attest to working on improving posture. Mine is terrible. I'm about 5'6-5'7 if I stand up straight, but appear to be 5'3-5'4 because of slouching. Ick. I definitely need to work on it some more....

YGDW
September 11th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Yoga! Braids also reduce pressure on my neck (compared to buns).

brickworld13
September 11th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Yoga is one of my most favorite activities. :) It helps so much. I've spent the last several years thinking I was 5'4, but after doing yoga regularly it's obvious that I'm at least 5'6.

browneyedsusan
September 11th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Stretch or yoga. Be mindful of your posture.
I have neck/shoulder problems and the chiropractor really helped me. I lived with it for years, and exercise/stretching helped, but Dr. fixed it almost completely. I still get adjustments monthly, but exercise keeps my mobility almost normal. :)

Dreams_in_Pink
September 11th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Top buns! If the weight is on top of your head it won't cause as much neck pain :)

RapunzelKat
September 11th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Another vote for yoga here :meditate: It's one of my favorite forms of exercise. A stronger and more flexible neck and back make everything easier, including holding up longer hair.

Also, experiment with different types of updos (braids, higher or lower buns) to determine what's comfortable for you.

Anje
September 11th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Keep up with the updos. Unless you've got some medical condition that affects it, you should easily develop the strength to handle an updo weighing a couple ounces on your head. :)