PDA

View Full Version : Drying hair straight and smooth?

aforestfae
September 11th, 2014, 02:46 AM
When I wash my hair and air dry it I find it goes fluffy (especially the shorter layers at the front) I've tried buns which are ok but my hair isn't always dry by the time I take it out.
Buns and braids leave my hair smooth but I'm not a fan of braid waves on my hair(too short to look and lie nice) and I need to leave my hair to air dry enough to put it up.
Is there a way to use lightweight scarves to wrap hair/protect hair and get it to stay smooth?
Any other options?
Thank you

arr
September 11th, 2014, 06:32 AM
If i want straighter, smoother hair after washing, i brush or comb it several times while it is drying instead of leaving it alone. What works even better if you're not opposed to trying it is using a low cool or lightly warm setting on the blowdryer while brushing it. Just be sure its set at a temperature that is comfortable for your hand to stay in the airstream. Another option is to use products containing silicones if you're open to that. My hair always dries smoother and straighter when using silicones than when i use cone-free.

kitcatsmeow
September 11th, 2014, 06:37 AM
Wrap it! I do it every time and it's straight, soft and smooth. Look up some tutorials on YouTube. I use a silk stocking cap with a bandanna over it

ExpectoPatronum
September 11th, 2014, 07:54 AM
I've had no luck with the brushing and combing while drying method. That just leads to FRIZZ (for my hair, anyway).

I honestly have the best luck getting straighter hair if I blow dry it a little, but even then my hair is poofy until the next morning.

Another thing that worked to straighten my hair, oddly enough, was dutch braiding my hair (dry) with some jojoba oil in it. I had done it while doing some chores before I had to leave, and when I took my hair down it was actually pretty damn straight. I'll have to remember to experiment with that again.

princesspoppy
September 14th, 2014, 03:54 AM
I've had no luck with the brushing and combing while drying method. That just leads to FRIZZ (for my hair, anyway).

Just thought I'd give my two cents on this method as I use it all the time with great results but it took a lot of experimenting before it worked for me!

When I get out of the shower I part my hair just above one ear and then brush all of the hair in the section above my ear over to one side with a tangle teezer. I then brush it every so often until the surface of that section is starting to dry off and then I flip it over to the other side and repeat. I do this a few times during the whole drying process and find it makes my hair a LOT straighter than If it was parted the same the whole way through.

Once my hair is just slightly damp I form my hair into one big sausage curl that I pull over my shoulder and smooth with my hands (I continue changing sides every so often even with the curl!). Usually it seems a little frizzy even when it's almost dry, but as long as I continue brushing it and smoothing it into the curl with my hands once it's completely dry it just seems to very quickly and magically go smooth and straight! So I wouldn't give up right until the very end - the end is the most important part. After that I usually put it in a bun (usually overnight for convenience but even just half an hour would do) just to totally make sure it's not going to frizz up.

I know this sounds very arduous but for me it actually works really well as you don't have to brush it constantly, just every so often, so I just do it as I go about my day (I usually have at least one day at home so it works). My hair is then really smooth and manageable with loose waves for a whole week so it's really worth it for me :)

I hope this will help somebody!