PDA

View Full Version : Dangly things on hair sticks

lynnala
March 20th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Today was the first time I wore a hairstick with a dangly thingy, and everything was fine, but at some point, probably because I had the car window open, a few hairs got tangled in the dangle (hey, that rhymes!) Took me forever to get them out without ripping them. Does this happen to you guys too? Or am I just a dork?

aisling
March 20th, 2008, 02:26 AM
I don't really wear dangling hairsticks because of the reason you mentioned. I always find that some hair get tangled with the dangle.

LifeisAdventure
March 20th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Yup. That can be a problem. Some dangles are smoother than others but anything on a headpin is pretty much going to tangle. :/ I honestly love my dangley sticks too much to give them up, but I have noticed that wearing styles where the stick is horizontal rather than vertical or at an angle can practically eliminate the problem. Good luck!

FrannyG
March 20th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I don't have any danglies on any of my hairsticks either. Getting my fine hair snagged in them has always been my fear, and yet they look so pretty.

ilovelonghair
March 20th, 2008, 06:27 AM
It's a big problem for me. I have the same with other hair toys: clips, ficarres (my hair goes into the metal thingy that makes it tight, what is that called?)

eadwine
March 20th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I sold my dangly flexi's for that reason really. They are VERY pretty, but the snagging got me to not wear them anymore.

AJoifulNoise
March 20th, 2008, 11:37 AM
This is the exact reason I've never purchased anything dangly for my hair. I'm fairly certain, no matter what 'do, my hair will wrap itself helplessly around the dangle.

SHADOWSCODE46
March 20th, 2008, 12:23 PM
It happened rarely, and thats only if I shake my head violently, or if I have alot of fly aways and frizzies (those are the hairs that usually get caught).

I deal with these mishaps for the sake of vanity.

Peggy E.
March 20th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I love dangling stuff on hair toys - it's my "moth to a flame" obsession! However, I always wear my hair up when I'm using them, which greatly reduces the risk of getting anything caught in the dangle.

I don't know that I would attempt to use a dangling toy in a half-up, though. Can't say I would never do that, as it is entirely possible, should I suddenly become inspired to wear half-ups, I could find myself reaching for my favorite danglies.

Now I've had my hair caught in the spring mechanism of a ficcare on several occasions, still use them, too! Gotta wonder sometimes, here I am, learning to take such great care of my hair, only to turn around and use a hair toy that pulls it out of my head.... At least those clumps wrapped around the spring are nice and healthy! :o(

hrimfaxi
March 20th, 2008, 01:39 PM
This is why, in general, when choosing dangly sticks, I prefer them with longer stick portions than I prefer on non-dangly sticks, just so that I can keep the dangle further away from my head and therefore hair. :P

prosperina
March 20th, 2008, 01:44 PM
This doesn't happen to me, but I do hear them as I walk and move about. They jangle ever so softly and they tap against my hair--it's a very odd sensation. I love dangle sticks, but they really do need to be placed at an angle or used in a Chinese bun, but you can do them more vertical and that can work too. I have a Nightshade custom one that I hope to (soon) take some photos with it in my hair.

helynhighwater
March 20th, 2008, 02:03 PM
My first pair of sticks have danglies on them. They're very pretty, but my hair does like to grab them, and I'm not even talking about loose hair, either, the danglies have actually gotten stuck in the scalp hair. I tend to wear them only on special occasions and for short periods of time for this reason. On a daily basis, I stick to sticks without moving parts. Given that this pair is metal and that my hair always sticks to the places where the different pieces connect to each other, I imagine that a dangle that was all one piece or a fabric tassle would be much less likely to cause trouble.

spidermom
March 23rd, 2008, 06:14 PM
I've decided to avoid dangles altogether for this very reason. My hair just loves to reach out and grab things.

helynhighwater
March 23rd, 2008, 10:08 PM
It's rather like a toddler in a store that way, isn't it? No small, unsecured object is safe. :p

squiggyflop
March 24th, 2008, 08:43 AM
my hair gets tangled in any hairstick with beads on the end which is why i switched to carved sticks.. (see homemade hairtoys thread for pics) i love carved sticks because of the ease of use... but some of the beaded hairsticks on etsy are so pretty they almost make me forget about the tangles

thetokenlady
March 24th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I have just one dangly hair stick. Like another poster said above, it seems to help putting it in more horizontal, which keeps the dangle farther away from the hair. I also make sure to smooth my scalp hair very well and make sure the updo is snug so there are less loose hairs for the dangle to catch on.