PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else make cinnabun like this?

Dreams_in_Pink
September 10th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I've been struggling with cinnabuns and hairtoys for a long time now, due to my tapering ends. Recently, i found a practical way to combine the two. The main difference is, i use a hair fork to set the first coil in place. I twist my hair, make the first coil, insert the fork vertically into that coil, making sure the ends of the fork are visible. Then i proceed to wrap the remaining hair around the base, behind the fork. I secure the ends with a U pin, but if you have enough hair you can just tuck it under the second coil.

I don't know if i invented something or not, still wanted to share anyway because all the cinnabun photos i've seen seemed to be held with pins. This hardly ever resembles a cinnabun anyway :)

To show you what it looks like, here are some badly-lit photos:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13007&d=1410379380
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13008&d=1410379410
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13009&d=1410379611

I can make a visual tutorial if my description isn't clear enough :confused:

brickworld13
September 10th, 2014, 02:20 PM
I think that is similar to the technique used in the Chinese bun. Unless my memory is faulty, you also anchor the bun with a bit of hair and a fork/stick before wrapping the remainder around the stick.

swords & roses
September 10th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Oooh, I might have to try this trick tonight! Looks great on you! And WOW that fork is gorgeous!

Quixii
September 10th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Reminds me of JJJ's one-stick cinnabun (http://youtu.be/aQ9d4nidc0Y), which is how I've been starting them lately. :)

Dreams_in_Pink
September 10th, 2014, 02:52 PM
I think that is similar to the technique used in the Chinese bun. Unless my memory is faulty, you also anchor the bun with a bit of hair and a fork/stick before wrapping the remainder around the stick.

It's similar, just without the need for a ponytail elastic :)

Oooh, I might have to try this trick tonight! Looks great on you! And WOW that fork is gorgeous!

Thank you! :o

Reminds me of JJJ's one-stick cinnabun (http://youtu.be/aQ9d4nidc0Y), which is how I've been starting them lately. :)

That's exactly how i did it! :D Glad there's a video tutorial about this. But i cannot get it to hold with a two-pronged fork, it has to be 3-pronged or more to hold my short tapering hair in place, let alone using a stick like she did.

lapushka
September 10th, 2014, 02:55 PM
When doing a basic cinnabun with regular U-pins, you pin as you go, so it's nothing new, I'm afraid. ;) I'm glad it works for you! :)

meteor
September 10th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Yes, I often do it this way, when my hair doesn't cooperate. I generally try to avoid styles that need extra pins to hold the ends, but sometimes I really have to do that.

Oh and by the way, it's a bit similar in principle to doing buns starting with a half-up bun and then wrapping the remaining hair around it and pinning it down.

It's lovely and holds well, but it does require extra pins. I don't know if it holds well with only 2 hair sticks though. Has anybody tried? :)

RapunzelKat
September 10th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Ooh, I'm gonna try this! Even my Jeterfork has a hard time holding my cinnabun, but this just might work! :cool:

And what a gorgeous fork! :inlove:

spidermom
September 10th, 2014, 03:48 PM
might try it

KittyBird
September 10th, 2014, 10:51 PM
I haven't tried it with a fork, but I do that when I cinnabun with a Ficcare or claw clips. I find that the bun is more balanced when I do that, otherwise it just turns into a floppy, unstable beebutt bun :p

Majorane
September 11th, 2014, 12:00 AM
Ah! I was thinking of this fork yesterday and in which thread I heard you talking about it, cuz I wanted action shots! Awesome.

.....also, that bun looks great on you!

RapunzelKat
September 11th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Ooh, I'm gonna try this! Even my Jeterfork has a hard time holding my cinnabun, but this just might work! :cool:

And what a gorgeous fork! :inlove:

Success! :cool: Mine is not as pretty as Dreams_in_Pink, but I quite like the method.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13013&d=1410415069

ExpectoPatronum
September 11th, 2014, 12:28 AM
Oh, I really like this. And of course, I leave my one hair fork at my parent's house. :(

Phexlyn
September 11th, 2014, 12:52 AM
Dreams in Pink, that's a great idea! I haven't tried it yet, but I definitely will. Your fork is really pretty, too :) Good job of showing off your hairtoy!

I haven't tried it with a fork, but I do that when I cinnabun with a Ficcare or claw clips. I find that the bun is more balanced when I do that, otherwise it just turns into a floppy, unstable beebutt bun :p
I can relate. I hate beebutts on myself because the base is so small in comparison to the outer coils. They just won't stay put (and it looks silly).

Dreams_in_Pink
September 11th, 2014, 02:17 AM
When doing a basic cinnabun with regular U-pins, you pin as you go, so it's nothing new, I'm afraid. I'm glad it works for you!

I knew about the pinned one, but i'm not a fan of pins in my hair because the style feels wobbly relying on pins and i seem to lose 1-2 pins each time. I always feel it's more secure when a big hairtoy carries the weight of hair. So you can imagine my happiness when i achieved a cinnabun with a fork :)

It's lovely and holds well, but it does require extra pins. I don't know if it holds well with only 2 hair sticks though. Has anybody tried?

Well, this one requires only 1 pin for me. But then again, i don't use any pins for a basic chinese bun either; i just tuck the ends inside and it holds :D My hair's coarse and has texture so that might be the reason.

Ooh, I'm gonna try this! Even my Jeterfork has a hard time holding my cinnabun, but this just might work!

And what a gorgeous fork!

Thank you! I hope it works for you too!

might try it

Please post the result! :)

I haven't tried it with a fork, but I do that when I cinnabun with a Ficcare or claw clips. I find that the bun is more balanced when I do that, otherwise it just turns into a floppy, unstable beebutt bun

Mine also turn into a beebutt bun which i hate (mostly because my hair tapers a lot) :(

Ah! I was thinking of this fork yesterday and in which thread I heard you talking about it, cuz I wanted action shots! Awesome.

.....also, that bun looks great on you!

Thank you! I really love that fork, it's also the most expensive piece in my collection :cool:

Success! Mine is not as pretty as Dreams_in_Pink, but I quite like the method.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13013&d=1410415069

To be honest, i think yours turned out %10000 better than mine. That was what i was trying to achieve actually, but my limited length and taper wouldn't allow me :(

Oh, I really like this. And of course, I leave my one hair fork at my parent's house.

Oh shoot :D

Dreams in Pink, that's a great idea! I haven't tried it yet, but I definitely will. Your fork is really pretty, too :) Good job of showing off your hairtoy!

I can relate. I hate beebutts on myself because the base is so small in comparison to the outer coils. They just won't stay put (and it looks silly).

Thank you! :o

Sarahlabyrinth
September 11th, 2014, 02:22 AM

So, is there a tutorial for a Chinese bun without the hair elastic? I love Chinese buns but rarely do them because I don't like using elastics.

swords & roses
September 11th, 2014, 05:25 AM
So, is there a tutorial for a Chinese bun without the hair elastic? I love Chinese buns but rarely do them because I don't like using elastics.

Only way I can think to do it without hair ties would be to do a braided chinese bun. The hair stick needs something like braids or hair ties to anchor behind before you can wrap the hair around it.

KittyBird
September 11th, 2014, 05:34 AM
Only way I can think to do it without hair ties would be to do a braided chinese bun. The hair stick needs something like braids or hair ties to anchor behind before you can wrap the hair around it.
I've done it like that a few times. I saw that method mentioned in a thread a few years ago. What I did was make a dutch braid down to the nape, divide the hair in two and braid each section. Then put the stick under the dutch braid and wrap the two braids around in the chinese bun style.

brickworld13
September 11th, 2014, 07:12 AM

I think I've seen one, but I can't access YouTube for the foreseeable future. I will look for it when I have home internet. If I remember. I'm kind of a scatter brain.

KittyBird
September 11th, 2014, 07:18 AM

I found a video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoJC6hknj08). It looks like a nice way of doing it. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
September 12th, 2014, 05:24 AM
I found a video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoJC6hknj08). It looks like a nice way of doing it. :)

Thanks, Kittybird, I will try this method :)

schnibbles
September 12th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Dreams_in_Pink, I tried your cinnabun method yesterday (sorry, didn't get a pic) and it worked! It never occurred to me to anchor the first twist with the fork - that's the point where the bun first gets out of control, at least for me. Thank you! I'm going to play around with it a bit more but I think it may be a new go-to. :cheer: