PDA

View Full Version : Can your hair texture just ...grow out?

LadyCelestina
September 10th, 2014, 06:02 AM
Here's an observation about my hair,tell me I'm not going crazy: the 'roots' are growing in straight-ish/wavy.I thought it's just that my curls were just weighed down with the length,and so when the demarcation line (of dye) grows a bit,there will be curls too.

But there aren't any ? Even though half of my hair is already virgin.I cut back to WL recently,was expecting shrinkage and extra curls due to less weight,but it actually is almost wavy.

The only possible explanation is that I happen to somehow disrupt the curl pattern while drying my hair and since the hair is healthy,it doesn't frizz.I don't think it's possible to grow out your texture,or is it?

alabaster
September 10th, 2014, 06:07 AM
I dont know if it is possible, but i do find there is a huge difference in texture/curl/wave pattern with the type of damage my hair has. When i have just dye in my hair it is curlier, when it is bleached the curls are non-existent. I am in the process of growing out my natural from a pixi, so i can't comment on the pattern of my virgin hair just yet, but anything is possible......

Mya
September 10th, 2014, 06:37 AM
It's possible. My family members with my same hair type had their hair become straighter, but it was because of their old age. I don't know why that happens if age isn't involved, but I guess it can happen to change hair texture in one's lifetime.

bunzfan
September 10th, 2014, 06:47 AM
I know when my hair is in better condition and getting enough moisture it can go pretty curly but too much and it can be pretty straight.

HaMalka
September 10th, 2014, 07:00 AM
As my hair grows out its been getting wavier and wavier. When my sisters hair reached hip length she got curls on the ends but her roots are still straight. I have no clue why such things happen, only that they do. I think there is something about how the ends of hair have more texture then the roots on most people. I am not sure why that is.

browneyedsusan
September 10th, 2014, 07:10 AM
I dont know if it is possible, but i do find there is a huge difference in texture/curl/wave pattern with the type of damage my hair has. When i have just dye in my hair it is curlier, when it is bleached the curls are non-existent. I am in the process of growing out my natural from a pixi, so i can't comment on the pattern of my virgin hair just yet, but anything is possible......

I grew mine from a pixie too! I'd worn a pixie many years, and it was permed/highlighted before that, so had no idea what it would come in like!

Mine seemed wavier about 18 months ago--around SL or APL. I don't know if it's getting weighed down, or the henna is relaxing it, or if that's just the way it is! I vaguely remember it being very straight when I was about 8 years old.

Athena61
September 10th, 2014, 07:31 AM

I am finding the same thing. I had my hair colored for over 20 years but had really nice waves throughout and more corkscrew type of curls underneath. Since I had it bleached (damaged) it's mostly frizzy. I can see the hair underneath is trying to clump together. I have given up dye and am growing out my hair. I've only 1.5 inches of new growth. Sigh.

LadyCelestina
September 10th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Thank you for your replies! The thing is,I seem to have a sort of a demarcation line with the texture,and I don't think my natural hair is comparable to bleached hair.And I have always been a curly so it doesn't seem likely that the dyed hair curls because of damage.

I guess this will remain a mystery until I actually have all virgin hair and see if the texture really changed or it was just due to soemthing else

Johannah
September 10th, 2014, 11:32 AM
It's possible. My mother went from super blonde to super dark hair. It looked like she was growing out bleach, but both colors were from her own. Though that happened when she was pregnant of me. Most of times these things happen when you got some sort of change in hormones (reach adolescence, end of adolescence, menopause, pregnancy, ...)

Timea
September 10th, 2014, 11:58 AM
my hair was straight until i was 28 or so. then it turned wavy. same thing happened to my mother. does your mother have hair like yours? does she remember if it did anything like this at your age?

browneyedsusan
September 10th, 2014, 12:08 PM
It's possible. My mother went from super blonde to super dark hair. It looked like she was growing out bleach, but both colors were from her own. Though that happened when she was pregnant of me. Most of times these things happen when you got some sort of change in hormones (reach adolescence, end of adolescence, menopause, pregnancy, ...)

:agree: Every hint of red disappeared when the babies came. --Thankfully I have henna to make me feel whole!-- :cheer:

maskedrose
September 10th, 2014, 02:41 PM
For me, it seems to be damage related. I used to highlight once or twice a year, and only my crown and nape, no bleach. Then a year and a half ago I gave that up and did a bit of sun-in to replicate the results with less damage. After the sun-in application, I decided to embrace my natural honey blonde and grow it out completely virgin, so right now I have about 9 inches of virgin growth, and the old salon highlights are past my shoulders.

The texture of my hair seems to be significantly affected by damage. When my whole head had salon highlights, I was easily a 2C. Now that the majority of those are gone (I chopped from hip to BSL earlier this year to get rid of the damage), I'm 2A on a good day. My under layer still forms some loose ringlets if it's in a good mood, but the majority of my hair is MUCH less wavy than it used to be. I have a sneaking suspicion that once my hair is entirely virgin it will be 1C/2A. Like you, I can actually see the texture demarcation line grow downwards. It's interesting, if not a little depressing. I did love those 2C wurls...but not enough to keep damaging my hair!

ReneeG
September 10th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Your texture can change over time, mine did. Never in a line like that though! Mine started out with ringlets as a child, became straight after that, and through lots of straightening and such stayed pretty straight until I was 23 and when I just grew out my natural hair from a short bob it magically became wavy! Turns out my hormones ahd changed since pre and post puberty, and it is now 2a/2b when previously about a 1b.

ExpectoPatronum
September 10th, 2014, 08:29 PM
My hair changed when I went through puberty, so it wasn't really random. Still, I went from having 1a/b hair to the hair I have no...2c! Some days I even have 3a ringlets. I neglected my waves for years because I was convinced I had straight hair.

It has always intrigued me as to how hair texture can change so drastically.

meteor
September 10th, 2014, 09:26 PM
It's not unusual to have different texture in the bleached hair vs. virgin hair... in fact, I think it's the norm. If you go over to the Growing out Bleach/Dye thread, you'll see many people mention this.
This happens due to the fact that bleach breaks down some hair protein and compromises the integrity and wave pattern of the hair.
I'm experiencing the same, and my virgin hair has the exact same texture that I had many years ago before I started getting highlights.
To help that situation, you can use more penetrating oils and hydrolyzed proteins on your bleached ends. And focus on deeper conditioning and more leave-ins/serums on the bleached ends.

Applegirl84
September 10th, 2014, 09:43 PM
After having kids my straight hair grew in wavy. It took a while for the wavy part to grow out long enough for me to notice, but 4.5 years later, all of my hair is wavy.

Creagan
September 10th, 2014, 11:45 PM
My hair was mostly straight during childhood. Then in high school it started getting progressively wavy and wavier. I think it's still getting wavier, too, but it's hard to tell as it's gotten longer.

My youngest sister's hair used to be super wavy when she was little, but was fairly straight by Junior High. (Before she started bleaching it.)

LadyCelestina
September 11th, 2014, 12:37 AM
It's not unusual to have different texture in the bleached hair vs. virgin hair... in fact, I think it's the norm. If you go over to the Growing out Bleach/Dye thread, you'll see many people mention this.
This happens due to the fact that bleach breaks down some hair protein and compromises the integrity and wave pattern of the hair.
I'm experiencing the same, and my virgin hair has the exact same texture that I had many years ago before I started getting highlights.
To help that situation, you can use more penetrating oils and hydrolyzed proteins on your bleached ends. And focus on deeper conditioning and more leave-ins/serums on the bleached ends.

I did permanent dye but guess that may count as bleaching due to the developer.Other than that I have always been a curly so it's puzzling to see such a texture change with the grow out,even if I can blame it on damage from dye ( though even this shouldn't cause such amounts of damage,it was one full head dye over coconut oil and roots only with dye pulled through the length the last couple minutes,also over coconut oil.I know everyone's hair takes damage differently but ...

ETA: meteor I know what confused you : my hair is half virgin half dyed with above described dye-ing process.That is right now.
Before that I had some old over processed ends which curled more than the rest of my hair.I cut them off.I expected some of the curl to return due to less weight,but my hair remains noticeably straighter.

I posted in the thread about my virgin hair not being comparable to bleached hair,because someone else made a post about bleach changing the hair texture.
IMO dye didn't change mine as I was always a curly.

LadyCelestina
September 11th, 2014, 01:14 AM
Thank you all for sharing your experiences! :flower: I may be going through some changes,as my acne/oily skin is subsiding as well and has been kept quite calm when left alone for around since I started growing out the dye two years ago.Maybe it's related,maybe not.It's hard to tell if I'm actually growing out my texture in a demarcation line or not.I don't know if it's possible, since curly hair has a different shape than straight hair as far as I know,so the hair growing from the scalp would have to be growing flatter....or was it rounder? / but apparently there are reports of people 'growing out' their texture.