PDA

View Full Version : Color Help

ExpectoPatronum
September 8th, 2014, 02:35 PM
If you've been following my hair "drama" you'd know that I've ruined things for myself because I just HAD to have purple hair.

No, I didn't bleach it then dye it purple. I tried using a Garnier dye (twice in the same day -_-) that didn't do anything but make my roots kind of magenta. I then used color oops the next morning because I hated the stark line between magenta and black- which actually got all the color out - and dyed over it using a manic panic purple...Which just looks dark with a purple tint. :( (I've learned not to try to dye over dye, at least with changing the color).

Anyway, once the "purple" fades, I want to go back as close to my natural color as I possibly can but I need a little help deciding how best to accomplish that.

When I stripped the color out of my hair, I had a real good look at what I would be working with. Basically, the first two or three inches of roots are a very orange-y light brown color while the rest is pretty close to my natural color - maybe two shades lighter, and more orange.

I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture of my current hair, but basically I want to go back to a medium golden brown color.

To go back to that, would I have to dye my hair a neutral (ash) shade of brown to cancel out the orange tones? Or would using a golden brown shade work? Either way, I'd probably use a brown slightly darker than what I want to make up for the fade factor.

I know to get it right I should go to a professional, but I don't have the money.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

queenovnight
September 11th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Question. Your hair is dyed black, yes? That's the most difficult color to remove from hair. The absolute worst. I hate to say it (since your out of money) but you need to go to a profession to strip away the dye. All of it. Trying it yourself is only going to end in disaster. But either way, you'll end up with a lot of damage. I have no real words of advice, other than.. Well, stop where you are and leave your hair alone before you reach the point of no return (been there) And if I were you, I would just grow it out or save up the money.

pastina
September 11th, 2014, 10:43 PM
You reaaaally need to not touch dye for a while after the double dose of garnier. At least a month. I hate to say it, but you would have done less damage with a round of bleach and a direct dye purple.

If you absolutely must go to a professional, you still really need to wait that month, and make sure you do protein treatments in the mean time. They will use more peroxide, and that's the last thing you need right now. Sure, they might be able to get your hair close to your natural color, but it will probably snap off in the process.

My best suggestion for you is to pick up a bottle of purple shampoo, like clairol shimmer lights. ...coat your dry hair in it, don't suds it up, and sit with it in your hair for a while. Give it at least twenty minutes before you rinse... And rinse with cool water. The purple-blue of the shampoo helps with brassiness. Condition the heck out of it afterwards, but again, rinse with cool water.

Good luck. <3

Rosetta
September 11th, 2014, 11:58 PM
When I stripped the color out of my hair, I had a real good look at what I would be working with. Basically, the first two or three inches of roots are a very orange-y light brown color while the rest is pretty close to my natural color - maybe two shades lighter, and more orange.

I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture of my current hair, but basically I want to go back to a medium golden brown color.

To go back to that, would I have to dye my hair a neutral (ash) shade of brown to cancel out the orange tones? Or would using a golden brown shade work? Either way, I'd probably use a brown slightly darker than what I want to make up for the fade factor.
You're planning to do another round of the color remover (Color Oops?) first, if I understood right? If so, a permanent or any peroxide-based dye isn't recommended for at least a few weeks afterwards (and even more so as you already used one twice in a very short period of time, like you told). So if you can get hold of a deposit-only medium golden brown or medium ash brown dye, that'd probably be best. And actually, it's recommended to use a dye one or two shades lighter than the shade wanted after a colour remover, as otherwise the result may end up too dark. But as a deposit-only dye fades in time, that might not make such a big difference.

And tbh, I really don't know why the standard advice is to "go to a professional", since they more often than not get it wrong, this forum is full of examples of that... ;)

pastina
September 12th, 2014, 08:34 AM
Rosetta's totally right- peroxide after color oops can be a problem. Peroxide causes the color that was removed to reoxidize in your hair. So, the color you thought was gone might make a second appearance! The box will tell you to wait a week or two- but let me tell you- that's on the company's assumption that you will be washing your hair every day in that one to two weeks.

lapushka
September 12th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Anyway, once the "purple" fades, I want to go back as close to my natural color as I possibly can but I need a little help deciding how best to accomplish that.

First of all. I think that's the best you can do. Wait until the temp dye fades, then just try a regular dye close to your hair color (not another color, just as close to your natural as you can get). It will cover the orange.