PDA

View Full Version : One night of neglect, a lot of damage tomorrow

Chalky
September 8th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Two nights ago after coming home late from a wedding I barely found the strength to take off my makeup and I didn't braid my hair or put it in a bun before I went to bed, like I always do. Since our house was full of guests I slept on a leather couch. When I woke up my hair looked like a mess! The length looked dreadful, really dry although it didn't feel dry and it looked like my end were covered in million splits even though I did a thorough S&D two days before that morning. I immediately soaked the length in a lot of coconut oil and put it in a bun for several hours. After washing it out it looked a lot better but it's still not back to normal. It really bummed me out because my hair was doing wonderfully. Even on the day of the wedding I got compliments on my waves and when I went to check on my hair in the bathroom I couldn't believe how well it looked even though I've been there the whole day and didn't do any touch ups. I didn't do anything special to my hair that day, only two small braids that connected on the back of my head (so that my hair would be out off my face) and I used a little bit of hair spray on the top to tame some frizz. So the only thing that makes sense to me is that it was the leather couch that cause the damage :confused: cause my hair was loose and tossing around on it all night. I have no clue...
So I was wondering do any of you girls have some treatment to recommend me to try and hopefully get my hair looking like it did before? I was considering maybe doing the SMT tomorrow (I tried it once before, not long ago, and loved it), but I figured some advice would be very helpful :smile:

RapunzelKat
September 8th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Definitely try the SMT! I would guess that maybe between being loose and the leather, your hair is just a bit dry and needs a bit of TLC. :flower:

If that doesn't seem to help, perhaps a protein treatment? :)

Sounds like it was great for the wedding, though, that's always nice! :D

ETA: Oh, and if you used any extra product or anything to style it for the wedding, a clarifying wash might help.

embee
September 8th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Hair spray is great stuff, but it has its evil side. For sure you want to make sure there is no residue left. It needs to be washed away, plenty of rinsing. If you sprayed on the top, you know part of the spray went onto the length as well. With all the festivities and a house full of guests you've probably not really had a good opportunity to fix this, but it will likely be just fine when things settle back to normal again.

Chalky
September 8th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Thanks RapunzelKat and embee :) I think I washed it out completely, but I'll wash again tomorrow just to be sure. Hair spray definitely has an evil side, it took me almost 45 minutes to detangle my sisters hair (she was the bride) and even though she washed and rinsed her hair well it still felt stiff.

Gertrude
September 8th, 2014, 01:49 PM
No offense to your couch, but leather furniture is usually not nourished and treated as it should be, several times a year. It's not a huge job, or particularly hard work, but most people just don't know. So most leather furniture is desperately dry and in search of something to moisturise it. That's not technically the right term, it's not a human being, but the couch will probably have drained your hair of what it could.

Just put it back with SMT and if need be protein, or oils, whatever works for your hair. Try one at a time of course.

I had the same experience going on what turned out to be a really windy boat trip. The wind sucked all the moisture out of my hair, so it looked scarily dry, but it came good. If it is your couch you might give it a little treatment when you can too. It will last you longer and be softer. I used to do a lot of polishing of all kinds working in a small antique shop. It's incredibly rewarding on old wood or leather........

Chalky
September 8th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Gertrude, non taken, I really hate that couch :laugh: My dad does take care of it but probably not as often as he should.

MsPharaohMoan
September 8th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Your couch felt neglected and saw the opportunity to strike you where it would hurt. Dum dum dummmm…