PDA

View Full Version : Thank you!

W2
September 8th, 2014, 04:48 AM
I was at a girls night last saturday and my hair was in my go-to-bun I use at the moment. I use spin pins, so no added bulk or anything.
During the evening, I felt like letting it down and a girl was quite surprised at it's length, because my bun was so smal! Thanks! My hair is not all that thin ... I just make tight buns.

I was a bit down and got my hair up fast!

Do you think, it's a puny bun?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12881&d=1409903043

It's about waist

embee
September 8th, 2014, 05:01 AM
Looks ok to me. :) I think my bun is about the same size. I'm at classic, more or less. Much taper.

When I use spinpins my bun is smaller than when I use a stick.
When I use a stick my bun is smaller than when I use a 2-prong fork.

Nellon
September 8th, 2014, 05:15 AM
See, personally I think people are a bit confused at how big a bun you can have with how much hair due to a lot of people wearing sock buns these days :grin:

ETA: You could always have fun shocking people with your long hair as you let it out of the bun! (longhair superpowers)

KittyBird
September 8th, 2014, 05:38 AM
I don't think it looks small at all, and your hair colour is gorgeous! I agree with Nellon, I think people in general are used to buns made with bun forms, so buns made with only your own hair confuses them. She probably thought you had short hair and bun form/donut. I've experienced similar things, where people have thought I had shoulder length hair and just used those over-sized donuts to put my hair up and make it look big. They were shocked when I took my hair down :lol:

sourgrl
September 8th, 2014, 06:12 AM
I think your bun looks great. I also agree people have become accustomed to the phony sock and donut buns. No thank you! Personally I love to surprise people with how much hair I have. Not a lot by LHC standards but a lot in the real world.

ETA: How people could think your buns are small, Kittybird, is beyond me. I love your massive buns! ;)

DweamGoiL
September 8th, 2014, 06:20 AM
I don't think it's small either. Mine is about the same at the same length.

veryhairyfairy
September 8th, 2014, 07:17 AM
:lol:
I got this same comment about 10 times this summer from coworkers! It made me giggle because I knew you guys would understand why I was just a teeny bit irked by it: "How can your hair be so long?! You bun is so small!"

Like everybody else, I just attribute it to the ill-educated assumption that buns can only be made by either using a form (donut) or looping a pony loosely and securing with elastic.

And BTW, I think you have a great size bun for waist length hair! I think my cinnabun is similar in size and I'm at tailbone! :D

Madora
September 8th, 2014, 07:25 AM
That's no puny bun! Very pretty color!

YGDW
September 8th, 2014, 08:10 AM
I think the bun looks perfectly normal for waist length hair as well. It looks nice!

It's not only the sock buns that work as... artificial enlargers. Most girls I know wear messy buns, which is like a lot of air and a few hairs. I could make my shoulder length hair look huge with a messy bun. :)

Stellaaa
September 8th, 2014, 08:28 AM
W2 - let me tell you a story.

Earlier this year I a met an online hair-friend in real life for the first time. With me were my DH and my male BFF.
When hair-friend met us at the airport, she says to me, "I knew it had to be you, with that enormous bun!"
BFF, who has seen my hair down MANY times, who had long hair for many years himself, says quietly, "Enormous? I'm always surprised at how small you can make all that hair."

W2
September 8th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Thanks. I was actually a bit sad ... she sat there with her rather short hair ... and when an other girl made a bun of it, THAT was a puny bun.

And thanks about the nice comments on my hair color ... I do like it a lot myself ... beginning to hate the dark parts in the back though. Who would ever have seen that coming

Phexlyn
September 8th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Not puny at all, and a beautiful colour! :)

Some hairtypes can be compressed to almost nothingness, which is really useful if you have to stuff your hair under a hat!

restless
September 8th, 2014, 06:58 PM
I think it looks perfectly fine, dont worry about it :) Just like the others have already stated, many people nowadays have a skewed idea of what a normal bun can look like thanks to all the sock buns and messy buns you see out in the wild. I understand how it feels to get the comment thrown at you though, the same thing happened to me last summer when a short haired coworker heard my hair is was waist length and skeptically asked me where I hid all that hair. I did take offence back then but now I just laugh at it. If she thought my nautilus bun was small, she should see my lazy warp ;)

truepeacenik
September 9th, 2014, 01:12 AM
I make pretty compact buns for work, and yes, the responses at the end of shift when I let it down are hilarious.
There are two true long hairs (meaning not extensions). Myself and a man.
The woman from Germany who almost rivaled my hair has gone home.