PDA

View Full Version : Wurlies, what to do day AFTER shower, waking up with messy manes?

Knifegill
September 7th, 2014, 09:25 PM
The day I shower, my hair does great. Then I have to sleep on it. And when I wake up my hair can be a fright. Curls smashed, entwined, frumped and distended every which way. Is it okay to get it wet again to whip it back in shape? Should I just mash at it dry with my fingers and pray it behaves? What does everybody else do?

burny
September 7th, 2014, 09:32 PM
it seems like most people do their hair in a bun/braid to sleep, which prevents it from tangling(also reduces damage) in sleep

Knifegill
September 7th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Not long enough yet. But that makes sense.

spirals
September 8th, 2014, 12:43 AM
If you can manage a few rope braids overnight, then you will have spirally waves the next day. Start the braiding habit now for when it's longer. Also, I sometimes mist with some catnip/horsetail tea and let air dry.

Dreams_in_Pink
September 8th, 2014, 01:44 AM
High ponytail! with a scrunci. And when your hair's long enough, a cinnabun on top of your head. It's also very comfy :)

lilin
September 8th, 2014, 01:45 AM
Have you tried a sleep cap? I made one from silk in a turban style (woo, fashionable! -- the bonnet ones just didn't appeal to me). I use it on-and-off now, because I found another helpful solution.

I've found some products make my waves feel stronger and harder to pull out. I'm a DIY'er, and for me, this is flaxseed gel (I use it as a rinse out, but many people use it as a light gel), fenugreek (good conditioner, but weird smell), and shikakai (cleanser -- not quite strong enough for me though).

My wurls keep their definition much better using any of those things. I prefer the flaxseed gel, due to the downsides for me personally mentioned of the other two. Commercial-wise, I'm not completely sure. But I know you can buy flaxseed gel pre-made, so perhaps give that a try!

The curls right at the side of my face might get slightly flattened at the top, by my forehead, but otherwise, they actually keep pretty good form even worn loose overnight.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 8th, 2014, 02:51 AM
Your hair isn't very long yet - try lightly spritzing your hair with water in the morning to allow your hair to regain its waviness which went all squished whilst you were sleeping on it.

Angela_Rose
September 8th, 2014, 04:39 AM
You could mix up a little coconut oil with water in a spray bottle and spritz your hair enough to dampen it, then finger-comb to reset your wurls.

prettyinpink
September 8th, 2014, 05:49 AM
I just shower daily and rinse my hair as well. Its not bad for it at all. If you prefer not to shower the next morning you can mist it with water or add a drop of oil or leave in cream (:

sourgrl
September 8th, 2014, 06:04 AM
I second a sleep cap. I bun and use a satin scarf like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006OO0CG8/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1410177623&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70 It doesn't give the full coverage of a sleep cap but since I can bun it works well for me.

Knifegill
September 8th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Ah, for some reason I hadn't considered a sleep cap at this length. But if it could help my hair stay neat and give me less to do, I'll try it! I work 8 days in a row of 10 hour night shifts, so the less work my hair needs the better. I can probably stick some hair things into my backpack and take care of it at work, too.

mamaherrera
September 23rd, 2014, 12:18 PM
I have this issue too, my curls get all flat, they loose "the air" we curlies get, and like someone else said, if you want great curls again, for me, it's wetting those babies down and starting all over.

Chocowalnut
September 23rd, 2014, 12:46 PM
I have the same problem and hate it. I either braid it the night before or just rewash it in the morning.