PDA

View Full Version : When Hair Attacks: Your Tales of Pain

dezibela
September 7th, 2014, 12:33 PM
I went to Canada to kayak & wore a dry suit. That's basically a waterproof jumpsuit with tight latex neck and wrist bands. It's not easy to put on & it's even harder to get off. It has a diagonal zipper that runs from one shoulder to the opposite hip, so it takes some yoga-style bending to get in and out.

I was wearing my hair in a French twist held by bent knitting needles, and when trying to take off the suit, the neck band got hung up on my updo. I was stuck with my head inside the suit, completely unable to free myself. I called for help & a friend came to my rescue. Little did I know that things were about to get worse.

She reached inside the neck hole &, before I knew what was happening, she firmly grasped my bun and yanked it with all her might.

I shrieked and pulled away from her. "That was my hair! What did I ever do to you?!" She was aghast, of course. In the meantime, I'm stumbling around with my head still inside this hot, heavy suit, totally blind.

At this point, it was obvious that something had to give, so I managed to stretch my hand up to my head & fumble around till I found the knitting needles & removed them. Once the twist was released, I was able to escape my suit & go about my life.

I can't any be the only one who's found herself (or himself) imprisoned by a bun, stick, fork, or stray tress. Or... can I?

RapunzelKat
September 7th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Yeowch!! shudder: Nope you're not alone! I was digging around in the closet once, and somehow a hanger got wrapped into my braid! I had to unbraid my hair while bent over in the closet to free myself, very awkward and uncomfortable.

I've never managed to figure out how that happened... :shrug: I mean, that hanger was braided into my hair! :confused:

gthlvrmx
September 7th, 2014, 01:05 PM
These sound like nightmarish stories! I think the most my hair ever got me stuck was when i was laying down on my bed and i trying getting up but my hair was under me so i got yanked back into bed and my neck hurt from it. I had to get off the bed in an odd position in order to free myself from that :P

Johannah
September 7th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Auwtch!!

I'm always scared for zippers when I wear my hair down. Not the first time my hair got caught in a zipper. Auwtch auwtch. And like gthlvrmx said, that happens to me quite a lot as well! :p

queenovnight
September 7th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Not alone! While my story isn't quite that horrifying, my hair has gotten caught in a seat belt - the part that the actual seat belt gets sucked into. I don't know what it's called, obviously xD I sat there for quite some time rescuing one hair at a time. Needless to say, I don't wear my hair down while in the car anymore.

Larki
September 7th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Kayaking in Canada <3 I've gone kayaking in Nanoose Bay a few times when there on vacation, it made me fall in love with kayaking. And Canada. :p I'd move there in a heartbeat if it wasn't, you know, really far away from my family.

I've gotten my hair stuck in sweatshirts while putting them on/taking them off - hairsticks aren't exactly clothes-friendly.

Gertrude
September 7th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Ouch! That must have hurt. My hair hasn't really attacked me. It's the objects in my life. I have these dining chairs that I inherited. Lovely. But they easily catch one or two hairs in the back and then slowly yanks them out. No big loss, but oww if I forget to move my hair out of the way getting up.

I had real pain from a Flexi-8. I did a LWB that I held with a really pretty Flexi. Then I went on a not hugely scary scary fair ground ride with my small daughter. The movement caused my fine hair to sort of un-bun and sag in such a way that the Flexi really hung, entangled, with all its weight, not distributed, off a little bit of hair. The pain was awesome. Sectioned braided bun a la Madora for such outings now!

gthlvrmx
September 7th, 2014, 03:19 PM
The pain was awesome. I'm chuckling a little and confused. The pain was "awesome"? Well if you like pain maybe. :p

Gertrude
September 7th, 2014, 03:33 PM
I'm chuckling a little and confused. The pain was "awesome"? Well if you like pain maybe. :p

Separated by common language (-; Glad it made you chuckle. Awesome as in awe of, awesome proportions, as in much worse than expected. Awesome! as in terrific across the pond I had forgotten about until you mentioned that. Which made me chuckle too.

Thanks, for everyone may I say that pain just hurts me. It's not fun..........I am at great pains to point this out (-: It pains me to have given the wrong impression too.

gthlvrmx
September 7th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Separated by common language (-; Glad it made you chuckle. Awesome as in awe of, awesome proportions, as in much worse than expected. Awesome! as in terrific across the pond I had forgotten about until you mentioned that. Which made me chuckle too.

Thanks, for everyone may I say that pain just hurts me. It's not fun..........I am at great pains to point this out (-: It pains me to have given the wrong impression too.

Ah ok thanks for the explanation I was like, what?! It must have been a gnarly moment.

captaincrunch
September 7th, 2014, 03:55 PM
At work in the bathroom stalls they have a toilet paper dispenser. The dispenser somehow pinches my hair between two plates of metal in the corner of it. All the time! No idea how to get my hair out. It rips pieces out!

CrazyGrace
September 7th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Between my bun and my glasses, I fairly regularly get myself stuck in my clothes, but I've come to consider it a part of life. What stands out as a tale of pain is the wagon.

I must have been about 7 or 8. My sisters and I were outside playing, taking turns pulling each other down the hill in our little red wagon. My turn came, and I laid down in the wagon with my feet hanging over the handle end and my head, including hair, hanging over the back end. Off we went down the hill. To this day I don't know why, but for some reason, my driver stopped, and then began to push the wagon back up the hill. The next bit is a little hazy, but it ended with my neck bent so far back that I could see the sidewalk behind the wagon. There was definitely screaming involved, because my mother ran out of the house to come investigate. She ended up having to carry the entire wagon into the house with me still in it. Somehow or other, we got me out of the wagon and into a dining chair with the wagon on the table. We had to take off the wheel in order to free my hair.

RapunzelKat
September 7th, 2014, 04:09 PM
At work in the bathroom stalls they have a toilet paper dispenser. The dispenser somehow pinches my hair between two plates of metal in the corner of it. All the time! No idea how to get my hair out. It rips pieces out!

That happens to people in my office all the time - I'm always seeing hairs caught in those things in the stalls! Since mine is always up at work it's never happened to me but I imagine it must be quite painful! :bigeyes:

CrazyGrace, that sounds awful! :shocked: Glad they were able to get you loose!

gthlvrmx
September 7th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Between my bun and my glasses, I fairly regularly get myself stuck in my clothes, but I've come to consider it a part of life. What stands out as a tale of pain is the wagon.

I must have been about 7 or 8. My sisters and I were outside playing, taking turns pulling each other down the hill in our little red wagon. My turn came, and I laid down in the wagon with my feet hanging over the handle end and my head, including hair, hanging over the back end. Off we went down the hill. To this day I don't know why, but for some reason, my driver stopped, and then began to push the wagon back up the hill. The next bit is a little hazy, but it ended with my neck bent so far back that I could see the sidewalk behind the wagon. There was definitely screaming involved, because my mother ran out of the house to come investigate. She ended up having to carry the entire wagon into the house with me still in it. Somehow or other, we got me out of the wagon and into a dining chair with the wagon on the table. We had to take off the wheel in order to free my hair.

That sounds terrifying for a kid to endure! Oi!

GoddessLocks
September 7th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Seems my hair is always getting caught on things now. :( It is a daily ritual for one of my kids to grab hold of it with a death grip, and then half the time if I have it down and im sitting on the couch, my husband will come sit next to me and accidently lean back on it. Same thing when im in bed, it will get laid on. I need to get in the habit of braiding my hair every night. I hate always having to wear it up during the days though.

trolleypup
September 7th, 2014, 05:09 PM
When leaving a cafe, a gust of wind slammed the door on my hair, so I came to an abrupt painful stop, reopened the door and walked off. Owwwww!

truepeacenik
September 7th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Know what a burpee is?
My son, a personal trainer in training, assigned them to me as his first paying client.
One morning, I thought I had my hair in a braid, but it had morphed overnight to a wavy ponytail.

On burpee two, I planted my foot quite firmly on my ends.
Several shrieks and profanities later, I rechristened the exercise as "trippies."
My son's response?
"Did you film it?"

He thought it would be a good ad for him.

Sure, if giggling stoners is your target market.

Creagan
September 8th, 2014, 03:19 AM
I wear my hair down all the time. In high school, we had those chairs with the metal studs in the back. My hair LOVED to get stuck in those.

Also, walls. I don't know what it is about walls, but my hair will actually get stuck in walls. I've had it Velcro itself to brick, and the cracks in one of those expandable walls that divided the gym at my old school.

Learning my hair was finally long enough to get stuck in the car door was also a painful experience.