PDA

View Full Version : Leave In Conditioner/Shea Butter Addicts

captaincrunch
September 7th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Anyone else big on leave in conditioner or Shea butter? I use a ton of both of these whenever I comb out my hair. Have you found this helps keep your hair healthier in the long term? What are you favorite Leave in conditioners?

Shea butter keeps my hear moisturized but leaves it a little tacky, do you have this problem too?

Larki
September 7th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I love leave-ins. :D My absolute favorite is this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/174165565/pick-fragrance-leave-in-hair-conditioner?ref=shop_home_active_1

It makes my hair feel like rabbit fur, and tames frizz and everything. But it's a little expensive (lasts about four months, though), so I've switched to Garnier Fructis Sleek N Shine leave-in for now.

jacqueline101
September 7th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I love nature fusion by Pantene I love the price, results I get and the smell. I apply it to damp hair on wash day. I apply Pantene truly natural shine serum over my leave in and the results is amazing.

bunzfan
September 7th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I'd love to find a leave in without cones available in the uk any ideas??

Gertrude
September 7th, 2014, 02:57 PM
I use Phyto 7. The " daycream for hair" as it used to be marketed. Has been sold for decades, and is best-selling in the whole range. In truth it is just vegetal mucilage with some flower waters but a little goes a long way and as it has no real oils in it, or silicones or guar or protein it doesn't build up on my build-up sensitive hair. I am in the UK incidentally.

I first detangle after washing with a rake comb. I then use a little dollop, rubbed between my hands, apply the bulk of it to hair below my ear, particularly the nape area, and when almost all gone I rake it through my hair on my forehead. Then comb through with another comb and my hair air-dries beautifully. Instead of all flatly like without.

I have found that no matter how wonderfully conditioned the rest of my hair is post wash, the nape area is super fine and fragile and prone to tangling still, and the leave in sorts that out. Makes a huge difference to my hair. But it is very expensive.

jeanniet
September 7th, 2014, 03:07 PM

You don't need to use something labeled as "leave in." Any conditioner that works for your hair is fine. I usually use either Suave Tropical Coconut or Everlasting Sunshine as a leave in; these have worked as well as or better than more expensive ones I've tried (and they're easily available).

Hootenanny
September 7th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I can't actually function anymore without leave-in, as I found out today. I tried rinsing it all out and just using a curl cream, and it was the first time in forever that I was in tangle hell. I had to re-wet and add my trusty Giovanni Direct Leave-in.

And I would like to second what jeanniet said: although my favorite leave-in is labelled as such, you can actually leave pretty much any conditioner in. The only thing I personally wouldn't leave in would be something like a heavy protein treatment sort of conditioner (but that's just me).

Gertrude
September 7th, 2014, 03:36 PM
I have tried the regular conditioner which I love and wound up with a " build up", sticky, feeling on my hair when used as a leave in. Agree it is well worth trying because if it works it's much more economical.

sarahthegemini
September 7th, 2014, 03:39 PM

Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume is a great conditioner. It costs 99p or £1 depending on whether you get it from the 99p shop or, well the pound shop.

Becs
September 7th, 2014, 03:46 PM
I absolutely love love love leave in conditioners. My favorites are from a line called Bee Mine. I really like their luscious balanced cream moisturizer and their juicy moisturizing daily spritz. They last a long time, smell lovely, and are chock full of great ingredients. They are fairly pricy, but it seems to me that most quality leave in conditioners with good ingredients are.

jeanniet
September 7th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I have tried the regular conditioner which I love and wound up with a " build up", sticky, feeling on my hair when used as a leave in. Agree it is well worth trying because if it works it's much more economical.

It might work better in smaller amounts, or applied to very wet hair before towel drying. My leave in goes on wet hair before gel, and then I scrunch with a flour sack towel. The only buildup problems I ever really get are if I use products with cones. Otherwise, I can go a long time without clarifying or shampooing.

lydiajo
September 7th, 2014, 04:01 PM
I use shea butter, coconut oil and olive oil (2:1:1) and whatever essential oil I fancy at the time.
Lydia

foreverKristin
September 7th, 2014, 04:03 PM
How do you guys use shea butter? I'm wondering if it would work for me.

lydiajo
September 7th, 2014, 04:09 PM
I use just a touch on my ends every night. I use a heavy coat the night before I'm going to wash it. Then on freshly washed hair I use a very light touch on all the length.
Lydia

meteor
September 7th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Nightblooming's Panacea blends work nicely as leave-in. Incidentally, Panacea blends use shea butter and coconut oil as the base, and contain some nice essential oils.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=50728
Generally, whipped coconut oil + shea butter is quite a nice butter to use on hair. But, as with all butters, you need to really watch out for build-up.

McFearless
September 7th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Do you get build up with shea butter? If so, what cleansing method does it take to remove it?

Marika
September 7th, 2014, 11:49 PM
I love leave-ins and have used them since...forever (well, closer to 20 years). I guess my all time favourite has to be Redken Anti-Snap because I always seem to go back to it. I also love Alba Botanica leave-in which is cone-free. That was a surprise because I love my cones! :D I've tried several regular conditioners (coney and cone-free) as a leave-in but the results have never been any good. I guess it depends on the hair type etc. :shrug:

I apply the leave-in to wet hair (I don't use towel on my hair at all). I use relatively small amount and I never apply any kind of conditioner near my scalp. Sometimes I apply something "extra" (Nightblooming's panacea, silicone serum, oil etc.) just to the very ends when my hair is almost dry.

I've tried straight shea butter on my hair but didn't like it. Too sticky, heavy and so much build up, maybe because of the "natural latex"? But it's fine if it mixed with something else.

YvetteVarie
September 7th, 2014, 11:58 PM
Do you get build up with shea butter? If so, what cleansing method does it take to remove it?

When I used shea butter, I just used a sulfate free shampoo, and clarified once in a while. It worked for me, but I have coarse, thick hair so build up was never too obvious.

I love leave ins/shea butter. They make my hair easy to detangle and style, and I use them when I need a moisture boost (my hair gets dry pretty quickly). And its helps define my curls too, instead of just having a frizzy lump on top of my head. My favorites are Elasta QP Olive oil and Mango Butter, and African Pride Shea Miracle Leave In. My hair likes anything with a lot of oil and butters

ErinLeigh
September 8th, 2014, 12:53 AM
I have one regular conditioner that is shea and oil based (it has been discontinued so don't know what will be next) that works great when only rinsed out 50%. I use this about once a week.

I love Alba Leave In conditioner (cone, protein, fragrance free)
I have another Leave in conditioner that is heavier but great for damp bun days. Sienna Naturals Baobab Oil Moisture Conditioner. First 3 ingredients are coconut oil, boabob and shea butter.

I have Shea Moisture Elixer Leave In Spray. (shea and oils)

And of course Nightblooming Panacea. Nothing makes my hair softer than finishing with a pea size amount of this shea/oil mix.

I just love how soft and frizz free the combo of shea and oils make my hair feel.

I tried going back to cones but missed the special softness I get with these products.

McFearless
September 8th, 2014, 01:22 AM
When I used shea butter, I just used a sulfate free shampoo, and clarified once in a while. It worked for me, but I have coarse, thick hair so build up was never too obvious.

I love leave ins/shea butter. They make my hair easy to detangle and style, and I use them when I need a moisture boost (my hair gets dry pretty quickly). And its helps define my curls too, instead of just having a frizzy lump on top of my head. My favorites are Elasta QP Olive oil and Mango Butter, and African Pride Shea Miracle Leave In. My hair likes anything with a lot of oil and butters

Thanks so much. :) We have similar hair types so I'll try all of these products.

prettyinpink
September 8th, 2014, 05:16 AM
You curly ladies NEED to try cocoa butter in your hair! I'm not sure if its really moisturizing, or if it's just covering up the splits, but my hair will feel like silk days later. I just put it in my palms and rub it through my damp hair. Dosent make it greasy at all!

Also, where can I get shea butter? Walmart?

jeanniet
September 8th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Butters tend to build up and feel sticky on my hair. I do better with fatty alcohols, which is why I mostly stick to just conditioner now.

TrapperCreekD
September 9th, 2014, 10:52 AM
I just dilute my regular conditioner and it works well as a leave in. Love, love shea butter! I haven't used it straight yet, but my hair just devours it in the form of Fox's Shea Conditioning Cream (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586). Makes my hair feel amazing!

skeletonous
September 9th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Has anyone tried the Sheamoisture Raw Shea Butter Hair Mask? I saw it at the store today and I see that it gets pretty good reviews. Considering adding it to my Christmas list. :)

Jac
September 9th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Has anyone tried the Sheamoisture Raw Shea Butter Hair Mask? I saw it at the store today and I see that it gets pretty good reviews. Considering adding it to my Christmas list. :)

I looooove the Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter mask! It was the first Shea Moisture product I tried (I also have the shampoo and conditioner of that same line), and it's still my favorite. My hair always feels so soft after using it. I would even use a tiny bit on my ends as a leave in. And it smells soooo good! I'd definitely recommend giving it a try :)

CRX<3
September 9th, 2014, 02:00 PM
I like Giovanni Direct leave in weightless conditioner ( woah, long name ) I use a tiny amount for my short hair when it's soaking wet, makes it silky and nice, and does not build up at all! :D no cones!

skeletonous
September 9th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Jac Yay! Sounds awesome :D I may not wait until Christmas to give it a try :p lol.

CRX<3 I've heard such great things about that leave in, I'm so excited to try it once my hair gets longer! :o

Jac
September 9th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Jac Yay! Sounds awesome :D I may not wait until Christmas to give it a try :p lol.

Haha I wouldn't blame you if you didn't! :P It is a bit pricier than I'm used to spending on products ($10-$12), but since I have short hair still (and it seems you do as well? :D) I don't have to use a lot. I've used the 12oz tub every few weeks since February and used hardly 1/4 of it!

skeletonous
September 9th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Haha I wouldn't blame you if you didn't! :P It is a bit pricier than I'm used to spending on products ($10-$12), but since I have short hair still (and it seems you do as well? :D) I don't have to use a lot. I've used the 12oz tub every few weeks since February and used hardly 1/4 of it!

Wow! I do still have short hair, so I could probably get away with that too :) we'll see what happens lol.

grimsqueaker
September 9th, 2014, 04:34 PM
I'm full-on LOC, except I use a silicone serum in place of the oil, and I apply a straight butter blend to the last few inches of my hair and my nape. My hair loves it! Although it does weigh down my fine curls, I don't really care since I wear it up all the time. The butter really helps in keeping my ends from being crunchy.

schnibbles
September 24th, 2014, 07:35 AM
I wanted to share about this stuff: Shea Terra Organics Shea Butter Quenching Hair + Body Oil (http://www.sheaterraorganics.com/Shea-Butter-Quenching-Hair-Body-Oil-COCONUT-LEMONGRASS_p_544.html) (The link takes you to the coconut and lemongrass flavor, but there are other flavors available.)
It's 20% Ugandan, certified organic shea butter added to shea nut oil. So, it's basically liquid shea. The only other ingredients are the essential oils or extracts added for fragrance, depending on the flavor.

I am in love with this stuff right now. I've been using it on dry hair so far, at night before bed - 2 squirts in my hands, rub in so there's just a light residue left, (my skin loves it also, so double duty) bend over, flip hair, apply to the underside nape hair which on me has damage that I'm working on. Then I take another 1/2 squirt and smooth over my ends. Make sleep bun, wake up with lush, moisturized hair. This liquid shea is a little more user friendly for me than the solid stuff. (I do use their solid Nilotica East African Shea Butter on my face tho)

betterhairday
March 1st, 2015, 08:53 AM
Anyone else big on leave in conditioner or Shea butter? I use a ton of both of these whenever I comb out my hair. Have you found this helps keep your hair healthier in the long term? What are you favorite Leave in conditioners?
Shea butter keeps my hear moisturized but leaves it a little tacky, do you have this problem too?

I prefer shea butter for my face and body. My leave in treatment is Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil, light enough but sufficient to protect my hair.

oOoAMANDAoOo
March 1st, 2015, 09:10 AM
I have never used Shea butter, as I have pretty fine hair and I think it would probably weight me down or make me greasy. I have tried other leave-inks with similar experience.

Right now I am using PHD's 5-in-1 styling TREATMENT by Living Proof. It's a syling product that does 5 different jobs WHILE conditioning and treating your hair. So far, I really like it. It nly takes a dime-quarter size amount to do the job and it smells really nice.

hinabelle
March 1st, 2015, 09:20 AM
I have a shea/cocoa butter mix right now that I'll be out of within the next few months.
It works well especially when my hair is really dry or feeling rough. I'm feeling conflicted
because I saw huuuge jars of pure shea butter at the natural foods store and I really
want to get some! They also had gigantic jars of coconut oil as well... :crush: