PDA

View Full Version : hair typing for slow drying hair

burny
September 6th, 2014, 05:59 PM
If I 100% air dry, my hair takes well over a day to dry. So what's the best way for me to go about it?
AFAIK, the ideal method is to wash, no condition, no heat, no brushing/touching.

gthlvrmx
September 6th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Maybe you can sit in front of a fan. That's what I would do sometimes :p Maybe try taking sections of hair and fanning it out. Someone on here, I think Madora, had a good way of air drying hair where you section it. I forgot how it went though. Sorry.

Entangled
September 6th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Same frustration here! Also, if I don't comb it for a hair typing pic, it takes FOREVER to dry, and then I can't resist a little finger combing, which I suppose defeats the point.

Madora
September 6th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Hi, burny! Here's a method I developed over several years. It takes all of 20 25 minutes to air dry my knee length hair outdoors. 45 minutes to dry it indoors, standing about 4 feet from a small portable electric heater:
Hair should be completely detangled and slightly damp before starting. The more water you can express from your strands, the faster the air drying will be.

Part your hair from nape to center of forehead so that it is in two sections. Band off one section with a scrunchie to keep it separate from the other section.

Take a pencil thin size sliver of hair in your hand.
Bring your hand up to your ear and then extend it all the way out (to the side)
Slowly let the strands drop to the floor

Take another pencil thin section and repeat steps 1-3

Repeat with the rest of the hair. Keep repeating the hair fanning motions until the hair is dry.

Once you notice that the hair is becoming drier, you can take larger portions of the hair, but use a wide tooth comb in place of your hand. Go slowly and gently when using the comb.

When hair is dry, band off the section with a scrunchie to keep it out of the way. Repeat the hair fanning procedure with hair in the other section.

When finished, you can leave hair as is, or apply your favorite oil, etc. and style as desired.

The technique was developed by me after years of having to wait forever for my very thick, long hair to dry (using the hair laying on a towel down the back approach). It took forever and I wanted a faster method.

Outside, my hair dries in 20 to 25 minutes. Indoors it takes about 45 minutes, using a portable electric heater (standing about 4 feet away).

The secret to drying your hair quickly is to thoroughly detangle it when you start, and to keep the air circulating through it as you fan the strands.

burny
September 6th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Madora, that method will give proper 'hair typing' results? I thought it had to have no combing/handling for that.
regarding the method, I don't understand steps 2-3.
step2 = slide hand up+down hair? or flexing and straightening hair? or other?
step3 = letting a few hairs at a time fall, or making the velocity of the hair be low, by using your hand to break the fall?

CurlyCap
September 7th, 2014, 04:36 AM
Since your wurly, I'd let it air dry and not use a fan since that can knock out a lot of the curl in your hair.

Honestly, I feel your pain and just suggest you wash your hair at the start of the day and take pictures periodically as it dries. Those with a similar hairtype will recognize the patterns of your hair wet and as it dries.

sarahthegemini
September 7th, 2014, 04:54 AM
I'm not sure how to go about it, perhaps follow Curlycap's advice and take pictures periodically? Just wanted to mention though, you don't need to avoid conditioning. For anyone with waves or curls, stripping the hair (by washing) and not conditioning would give a false type. Just wash how you usually would, take a few pictures every couple hours and then do what you normally do with your hair :)

lapushka
September 7th, 2014, 05:21 AM
When it's about 50% - 80% dry, I'm sure we'll be able to type you!

Johannah
September 7th, 2014, 06:21 AM
Just wash your hair in the morning and make a picture in the evening when it's mostly dry. Guess it's frustrating to do something like this, but you (normally) only need to dot his once. Like lapushka said, when its 50% - 80% dry, typing won't be a problem! :)

veryhairyfairy
September 7th, 2014, 07:06 AM
I have the exact same problem, and my solution was to just never really hairtype myself! :lol:
I just literally cannot stand wet dripping hair on my back for the 6 or more hours it would take to get 50-70% dry; I get head/neck aches and I'm cold and uncomfortable and wet and just not happy.

One thing I might try at some point is taking a nice long walk right at the beginning while it's dripping to at least let ambient airflow dry it off a bit, but that's the only non-disruptive way I can think of. :hmm:

starfire
September 12th, 2014, 09:16 PM
Squeeze excess water from hair. Turn on computer. Drape a towel over the back of a chair. Sit and drape hair over towel/back of chair. Browse LHC (or anything else at the computer). Few hours later, hair is close to dry with no drips on your back and no strain on neck from heavy wet hair. I have a ceiling fan that probably speeds up the drying some. The air flow is so indirect, I doubt it will affect hair typing.

burny
September 12th, 2014, 09:53 PM
For typing, you can squeeze out hair? That's what I normally do, but was expecting it had to be more natural for typing. If you can squeeze it out, then I'm sure I can get it dry enough in 6-12 hours, which shouldn't be bad.(the picture in my album is after about 6hours, and is mostly not bad except for the tips, so that might actually be sufficient for typing)