PDA

View Full Version : Itchy scalp

Sherri
March 8th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I was wondering if anyone had suggustion for icthy scalp treatments? This cold weather is not doing anything for my hiar except dry it out. I put jojoba and a few drops of lavender on scalp yesterday with hands, kind of like a massage. It helped for a little while, but now I am itching again and need to wash hair. Was wondering about mixing honey in with my conditioner and how much to mix. Any suggestion???

justgreen
March 8th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Have you tried diluting your shampoo at all? Dry itchy scalp needs a rest from harsh cleansers.

Sherri
March 8th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Yes I usually dilute shampoo but have not done it the last few washing. Maybe need to go back to that though. thanks

herbgurl82
March 8th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I was wondering if anyone had suggustion for icthy scalp treatments? This cold weather is not doing anything for my hiar except dry it out. I put jojoba and a few drops of lavender on scalp yesterday with hands, kind of like a massage. It helped for a little while, but now I am itching again and need to wash hair. Was wondering about mixing honey in with my conditioner and how much to mix. Any suggestion???

You may also want to supplement with essential fatty acids (either in your diet or in a pill) to help with an itchy scalp. My dandruff/itchy scalp issues is from a fatty acid imbalance in my body, and it is greatly helped by taking a flaxseed oil pill everyday.
I have also had very good luck with mixing rose hip seed oil with coconut oil (double the coconut oil to the rosehip seed oil), and heavily oiling my entire scalp with the mixture the night before doing a CWC. You might want to cover your hair with a shower cap, or at least sleep with a towel over your pillow since is a little messy.
Hope that Helps!

rhubarbarin
March 8th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I was having problems with a severely itchy scalp for a while.. no flaking, and it was too greasy rather than dry, but it just itched ALL the time. They thing that cured it was apple cidar vinegar rinses. I use about a TBSP in an 8 oz glass (2 or 3 glasses usually) every time I wash, after I rinse my conditioner out.. let it sit for a minute, than massage my scalp and rinse some more. My head does smell like vinegar afterwards, but I leave in conditioner and the scent from that masks it. My BF has never noticed me smelling like vinegar.

~*BeautyWitch*~
March 8th, 2008, 01:02 PM
ITA with taking a flaxseed supplement. I've started doing that also because of dry scalp. I've also stopped using shampoos and instead add baking soda to my conditioners for washes. This got rid of my flakes and makes my hair soft and shiny.

Sherri
March 8th, 2008, 03:53 PM
ITA with taking a flaxseed supplement. I've started doing that also because of dry scalp. I've also stopped using shampoos and instead add baking soda to my conditioners for washes. This got rid of my flakes and makes my hair soft and shiny.
just curious how much baking soda do yu add to conditioner?

andrea1982
March 8th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I've been having this problem lately too, and I think it may be related to the use of my new boar bristle brush. It penetrates really well and "stimulates" my scalp, but I'm finding it a bit too irritating. Have you changed your combing/brushing practices or recently added scalp massage?

Sherri
March 8th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I have bought a new brush that I only use once or twice a week. It is a lady cathrine hairbrush from Stanley.

~*BeautyWitch*~
March 9th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I use 1 tbsp. I mix it together in my hands and massage it into my scalp. It's a very gentle way to clarify too.

Moondial
March 9th, 2008, 09:33 AM
For me, switching to sodium lauryl sulfate-free shampoos and washing less often does the trick. Not touching my scalp as much with fingers or styling tools also helps. Hang in there, spring is coming soon. For me, the itching usually stops as soon as I can turn off the central heating for good.

Future CCC-SLP
March 9th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I had the same problem, the ACV rinse really helped. I still don't know what the cause was but the ACV takes care of build up and if you had anything funky going on with your scalp! I usually just do it once a week not every washing, but I know some people that do it regularly.

Blueneko
March 9th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I have had good success with a baking soda + conditioner scrub every other wash.

2 tbs baking soda
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp rosemary oil (for itch and flakes)
1 tsp tea tree oil (for itch and flakes)
conditioner for pastiness

I wet my hair then gather the paste on my fingertips, beginning at my hairline and scrubbing back until I have my whole scalp done. It helps to tilt your head so your fingers can rake past the hair to the scalp.

I then S&C and ACV rinse. I ACV rinse after every wash, so that could very well be my saviour.

I have eliminated my horrible itchiness and flakes doing this throughout Winter.

*Elvina*
March 9th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Maybe you could use a shampoo specifically designed for sensitive scalp. It did help for me.

AJoifulNoise
March 9th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I've been having problems this winter, too. A couple weeks ago I decided to give the ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinse a shot. It worked wonders! I do it once a week now and it takes the itches away almost immediately.

I put 1TBS of ACV in a bottle of water (about 1PT/16 fl oz). After I clean my hair I dump the bottle over my head and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I rinse it out of my length, but leave as much as I can on my scalp.

It smells for a bit as my hair dries... But the smell goes away.

kwaniesiam
March 9th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Our hair is very different as I have dreadlocks, but I get an awfully itchy scalp after about the 3rd day between washings. This has yet to fail me:

3 drops of tea tree oil in your diluted shampoo

Leave it sit for a few minutes and massage into your scalp. Then follow up with a diluted ACV rinse. Also make sure you are drinking enough water, as hydrating your body from the inside out will help prevent dry skin in all areas.

Nini
March 9th, 2008, 12:42 PM
While in the abscense of LHC I suddenly realised that my itchy spot, at the back of my head hasn't been itchy for quite some time:)

I think it's due to me switching to a SLS-free shampo, as some earlier poster mentioned!

Nini

BlndeInDisguise
March 9th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Our hair is very different as I have dreadlocks, but I get an awfully itchy scalp after about the 3rd day between washings. This has yet to fail me:

3 drops of tea tree oil in your diluted shampoo

Leave it sit for a few minutes and massage into your scalp. Then follow up with a diluted ACV rinse. Also make sure you are drinking enough water, as hydrating your body from the inside out will help prevent dry skin in all areas.

I agree! tea tree oil helps lots for an itchy scalp. Plus, it doesn't take very much of it at all to work.

Shorty89
March 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I was getting an itchy scalp this winter so I started to CO and it really helped. Have you tried some sort of CO or a deep conditioning treatment on your hair?

Mahars
March 9th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I get itchy scalp a lot too. TTO works well for me as well. I add a few drops to my shampoo (sulphate free), and that helps a lot.

Lately, I've been adding 1 drop of TTO to a teaspoon of jojoba and rubbing that into my scalp. Jojoba is supposed to be the closes oil to sebum and supposedly it disolves scalp build-up, as well as soothing and moisturizing. Then I give myself a good scalp massage for about 5 minutes and wash it out in the morning. I've been doing this about once a week and it's really helped a lot. Plus, the added bonus is stimulation of the folicles from the massage. If you have time, try this! It's made a really big difference for me.

MerryKat
March 11th, 2008, 04:18 AM
I find that a spritzing my scalp with vinegar and water helps inbetween washes.

Gemma
March 11th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I've had a really itchy scalp since December, and nothing seemed to work. I tried shea butter, jojoba oil, coconut oil, a scalp bar from LUSH, tea tree oil mixed with various carrier oils, and nothing really helped.

Then I bought a wooden comb from the Body Shop and started scritching the night before a wash. After scritching, I rub the natural oils/sebum all over my scalp and through my hair, then bun it and sleep.

In the morning, I've been using a SLS and cone free shampoo made with pure tea tree oil, followed by my usual conditioner. I also add tea tree oil to my SMT.

The itching has finally settled down. :)

jamisonlcloud
March 11th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I've heard that an itchy scalp can be a sign that hair is growing, not necessarily due to dry scalp and etc. Has anyone else heard this before?

heidi w.
March 11th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Many good suggestions.

Here's a few more to consider:
1. Before a hair wash use a fine-toothed comb to scratch the scalp skin gently to loosen debris and hardened sebum. Draw the hair back, away from the forehead hairline. Use gentle back&forth scratching motions to proceed in rows, from the forehead hairline back to the crown. Do likewise on the sides and backside of the head. This helps to ensure a better hygienic cleansing of the scalp skin. Sometimes that itching is built up gunk that didn't really get rinsed out and has now dried and hardened.

This technique can also be used to massage the scalp and incite sebum to produce.

2. After every single hair wash, be sure to clean, quite well, your detangling combs. That old oil, products, sebum, dirt on hair and scalp hair does build up on teeth of combs and brushes, and it's like re-inserting into the hair after a fresh hair wash. Many do not realize how dirty their detangling tools are.

Here's how:
take up a toothpick and run it along the inside of the teeth. You'll be amazed at the gunk that's lifted. Then using a dishwash soap or shampoo scrub the comb and its teeth. I used a nail brush to scrub with. Use warm water to ensure the soap does its thing. Rinse well. To disinfect, use a little rubbing alcohol in water and place in a mist bottle and spritz on the comb. Swipe with clean towel or paper towel. OR to disinfect place a plastic comb in the upper rack of the dishwasher.

Most wood combs can be washed this way and immediately and very well dried.

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 11th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I've heard that an itchy scalp can be a sign that hair is growing, not necessarily due to dry scalp and etc. Has anyone else heard this before?

never heard it, and I don't believe it. Itchiness in medical viewpoint usually means a problem such as healing wounds, tightening skin, infection. Growing hair is completely not noticeable, not even with itching. I wouldn't believe it.

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 11th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I've had a really itchy scalp since December, and nothing seemed to work. I tried shea butter, jojoba oil, coconut oil, a scalp bar from LUSH, tea tree oil mixed with various carrier oils, and nothing really helped.

Then I bought a wooden comb from the Body Shop and started scritching the night before a wash. After scritching, I rub the natural oils/sebum all over my scalp and through my hair, then bun it and sleep.

In the morning, I've been using a SLS and cone free shampoo made with pure tea tree oil, followed by my usual conditioner. I also add tea tree oil to my SMT.

The itching has finally settled down. :)

Pure tea tree oil can be beneficial and healing to skin, but take care to not use too much! A little does go a long way.

Certain types of mints may be helpful too such as spearmint. Astringents such as lemon juice might help as well. This is the reason ACV works as a rinse for many, too because it helps to pH balance the acid mantle.

If you've been waiting longer and longer between hair washes, some of this itchiness could well be caused by an upset in the acid mantle pH because the sebum is being broken down by bacteria, and the bacteria could potentially get into hair follicles and cause small inflamation sites. Overly simplified explanation. Correction is to wash a little more frequently. Another correction, depending on hair type is to not apply conditioner to scalp skin, rather, only to length and as close as you can get to scalp skin without actually applying to scalp skin.

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/product1.cfm?product_id=055A&cat=14
primrose and lavender

http://www.dermamed.com/product_details/natural_hair_care/dmmintshampoo/default.asp

FYI to original poster and others:
not all itchiness is a sign of dry skin. It could be a sign of dandruff (which is related to sebum and skin cell sloughing issues), buildup, lacking enough hot water to get a good rinse, a sign that combs/detangling tools are unclean, sebum production related issues (which goes to dandruff of the various forms). Not all flakes are dandruff: could be dried product not rinsed out, for example.

heidi w.

heidi w.
March 11th, 2008, 01:27 PM
One more idea: humidifier at night.

heidi w.

Gemma
March 11th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Pure tea tree oil can be beneficial and healing to skin, but take care to not use too much! A little does go a long way.

No worries. :) It's definitely a safe amount.

I never thought about how dirty combs could cause itchiness, but it makes sense. I think I might clean my current combs.

gretchen_hair
March 29th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I used pine tar shampoo. It seemed to work a little. I am sick of feeling like i have lice. Scratching my head constantly.

purple_omelette
June 16th, 2020, 06:44 PM
Reviving an old thread :)

My scalp starts itching about day 2 after washing, no matter what I wash with or whether or not I use oil, leave-ins, or just shampoo. I don't have dandruff and I'm not losing much hair (certainly no more than I usually lose in a given day), so I'm a bit confused. The one thing I have changed recently is I've been trying to stretch washes: I was a once every 3-4 days washer for a long time and my hair was quite happy, but now that I'm trying to stretch it out my scalp itches like crazy! The problem is, my scalp hair feels sooooo soft when I stretch my washes, and the sebum really has time to coat the hair. So I'm at a bit of a loss! Do I keep stretching washes and hope the itching goes away, or do I go back to 3-4 day washing?

beha
June 18th, 2020, 02:44 AM
When I shampoo it's barely a wash. I just barely apply it to the crown and I don't really work it in. I aim to get rid of <30% of the oil that's there. I have terrible full body eczema but have found that my scalp never itches (my feet never itch either; I can't name another body part that never itches). I imagine my thick, coarse hair acts as a barrier that the rest of my skin sorely lacks.

Product is usually just a few ingredients. Liquid african black soap lately.