PDA

View Full Version : APL - CL in 6 years possible?

ClassicAim
September 6th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Hello,
I am currently at armpit length and hoping to be at classic one day. I was wondering if 6 years to do this is an acceptable goal?
My hair is curly/coily at 3c/4a. I am relatively short at 5 ft 1 so the distance between these two milestones on me I estimate to be about 20 inches. I recently made the mistake of attempting to dip dye my ends so the last 2-3 inches are slightly damaged from this but I think some protein treatments and some S and D would help this. I am a trimmer and I intend to trim off about 0.5-1 inch once a year (or whatever is damaged). This is also to slowly get rid of the dyed ends.

Looking forward to your replies :) x

Marika
September 6th, 2014, 11:03 AM
I think it sounds possible but I have to admit, I don't have any experience with curly/coily hair. My hair has grown from shoulder to waist in 2 years with one bigger trim (around one inch) and microtrimming every 3 months. I'm 5'7.

Good luck growing, I hope someone with curly hair can help you better! :flower:

ClassicAim
September 6th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Marika - Thank you for answering :D. how much is a 'microtrim'?

hypersensitive
September 6th, 2014, 11:17 AM
It's possible for straight hair because I did it in 4 years but curlies will probably take longer than 4 years because of shrinkage, assuming you have the average growth rate of 1/2 inch per month.

diddiedaisy
September 6th, 2014, 11:50 AM
I grow 5 inches per year, I think the average is 6. If you know how much your hair grows per year it should be relatively easy to work out. You will need to account for trims, breakage and of course the dreaded shrinkage. Good luck.

LadyCelestina
September 6th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Do you mean as in, classic curly, right? Well it might be if you have a quicker growth rate.

My average is half an inch but I'm around as tall as you and I reach at one milestone a year,even with frequent trims.If I didn't trim I'd get more.But my hair is 2c/3a

lapushka
September 6th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Hello,
I am currently at armpit length and hoping to be at classic one day. I was wondering if 6 years to do this is an acceptable goal?
My hair is curly/coily at 3c/4a. I am relatively short at 5 ft 1 so the distance between these two milestones on me I estimate to be about 20 inches. I recently made the mistake of attempting to dip dye my ends so the last 2-3 inches are slightly damaged from this but I think some protein treatments and some S and D would help this. I am a trimmer and I intend to trim off about 0.5-1 inch once a year (or whatever is damaged). This is also to slowly get rid of the dyed ends.

6 inches of growth a year x 6 = 36 inches. So yes, even in 3 to 4 years you'll be there, without trimming, if you have a steady growth rate.

Akville
September 6th, 2014, 12:43 PM
I promised my self last year that I will not cut my hair in 5 years and we will see how it goes... I've been growing out with SD and little trimms for year now.. got to waist...

So four more years to go.. :)

ClassicAim
September 6th, 2014, 01:00 PM
hypersensitive - I am aiming for classic with my hair is straight :) I have really high shrinkage hair (at APL it shrinks up to my ears) so it would probably have to be FL+ to look classic xD

diddiedaisy - Im having a little bit of breakage because of my dyed ends but i think a protein treatment with my next wash should help. With my current regime I do have a little breakage when detangling but its quite minimal.

LadyCelestina - Oooo :D that give me hope. My aim is approximately one milestone a year with a little leeway

lapushka - Im not sure what my growth rate is but my calculations for 6 years are assuming that i grow a little slower than average. But I've been talking to my mum recently about my hair when I was a child and she says its grown rather quickly so hopefully If it grows at average speed I will be very happy :). 3/4 years would be AMAZING.

Akville - Good luck on your growth :) I was wondering if it is possible to maintain a blunt hemline with SD? :)

Marika
September 6th, 2014, 01:25 PM
For me microtrimming means just a couple of mm. It's more like "dusting" (=so little is removed that it looks like dust) to get the hemline slowly more even. S&D made my hair look thinner (my hair is very split-prone) but microtrimming doesn't do that.

Marika - Thank you for answering :D. how much is a 'microtrim'?

FrozenBritannia
September 6th, 2014, 03:27 PM
It sounds doable to me. I have wavy hair, and I've gone from long pixie to hip in three years. I guess it will depend on exactly how your curls react to length?

darklyndsea
September 6th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I had above-APL hair in 2009, got ~3-6 inches cut in 2011, and I'm past classic now (mid-thigh when stretched), with an average growth rate. So it's possible on my hair, at least.

ClassicAim
September 7th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Marika - Ahhh :) I quite like the sound of microtrimming, I may give it a go soon x

ClassicAim
September 7th, 2014, 08:06 AM
FrozenBritannia - From what I can gather so far the longer my hair the more stretched my curls become but I am not completely sure :)

darklyndsea - Ooooo :D That's really good growth :) I hope I can achieve something similar.